• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I got "ma'amed"...again

StephanieVikingGirl

I am shocked actually, but pleased. My roommate had to take her Ford Escape in for a recall, and so I followed her to the dealership in my MR2 Spyder. She was checking her car in, and I was ambling about kinda near by when one of the dealership men said to me "Do you need a ride ma'am, or are you just waiting?". I tried to hide my surprise, and told him with a smile that I was okay, and didn't need a ride (or something like that). I kinda thought that I had been presenting myself as male, but this isn't the first time I have been "ma'amed" in recent weeks. My attire: flip flops, black shorts, red t-shirt, Thor's hammer, gold necklace, earrings, desert camo "booney hat" (issued to me in 2003), and some unisex sunglasses. In other words rather similar to what I typically wear to work, but without the Napa Valley Bike Tours logo outer shirt. The other times this has occurred was when I was leading tours in the Napa Valley, this time was at a Ford dealership today on my day off. I was kinda shocked each and every time, but also pleased of course since it encourages me to think that I might actually pass okay when I start living as a woman.

Stephanie the shocked Viking Girl

• Forum Moderator

Yeah !! Male Fail is underway...

Enjoy Stephanie, it's very affirming when others notice...

C -

Guest Mickey

Yes. I love these moments also, very much so. My latest, I got mamm'd 3 times by the same lady in just a few minutes time. I still smile from ear to ear when I think of that time.

Guest Amber L.

I remember my first ma'am. What a feeling that was!!!! Really gives you that feminine sense of being. I truly loved it. I had never herd the term Male Fail before. I like it. Congrats on your Stephanie. Hugs. Amber L.

• Forum Moderator

One of the few things i enjoy about going into the south is that i get ma'amed by so many men who actually open the door. Of course i also live in fear that they may discover my history and hang me over some barbed wire. All that gentlemanly behavior is lovely when it happens.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

Congratulations Stephanie x

It's nice when it happens - not often to me and usually catches me by surprise!

Tracy

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, this is great! I also had never heard the term "male fail" until I joined LP. Kinda groovy term, I like it. I have gotten a bit bolder since I started to occasionally male fail. My roommate Jennifer and I were passing some time in a "Tiki" bar, drinking mai tais at the bar and chatting. The friendly bartender introduced himself, and I introduced myself as Stephanie. We talked with him off and on after that until we paid and left. Jennifer is now legally Jennifer and female, with lots of real life experience, but this was the first time that I have used Stephanie as my name in public. Very public, as the small bar was a bit crowded. I am encouraged that it went fine. :)

Hugs to all,

Stephanie

Guest Annutty
My attire: flip flops, black shorts, red t-shirt, Thor's hammer, gold necklace, earrings, desert camo "booney hat" (issued to me in 2003), and some unisex sunglasses.

That was a funny joke you slipped in there.....unless of course you actually have Mjölnir..... o.O

I don't have Thor's actual hammer, just a religious symbol of it. I am Asatru or if one prefers "Heathen", an adherent to the pre-Christian religion of Scandinavia, and other Germanic language peoples. Our primary religious symbol is a pendant that represents Thor's hammer. We are a small minority faith, and non-evangelical, so lots of people have never heard of us. LOL. The only country where we are really well known by the general populous is Iceland. I almost always wear a Thor's hammer pendant.

Stephanie the Viking Girl

Guest Annutty

I don't have Thor's actual hammer, just a religious symbol of it. I am Asatru or if one prefers "Heathen", an adherent to the pre-Christian religion of Scandinavia, and other Germanic language peoples. Our primary religious symbol is a pendant that represents Thor's hammer. We are a small minority faith, and non-evangelical, so lots of people have never heard of us. LOL. The only country where we are really well known by the general populous is Iceland. I almost always wear a Thor's hammer pendant.

Stephanie the Viking Girl

Well in that case, that's awesome! I hope I didn't offend you or anything!

Hi Annette,

Yeah, I think it is awesome as well. Of course I didn't take offense, almost no one has heard of Asatruar or Heathens except others in the Pagan community or Icelanders (the faith is kinda popular there). :)

Hugs,

Stephanie

Being "ma'amed" is awesome, but the best thing is... when bank people have to get their manager because you CANNOT be the person in these ancient documents. ;D

Then again, I won't miss that when I finally fix my papers...

Hi Sne,

I am looking forward to things like that in a way, on the other hand I have to be careful when out driving. I don't want to show my driver's license to anyone since the photo doesn't look anything like me. The photo shows some bearded, mustached, guy with long dark hair. I don't look anything like him, he looks scary. At some point, I will try to figure out how to add a photo of myself to be my avatar. Maybe my roommate Jennifer will show me how to do it. I do know that my California driver's license would not be accepted by a police officer, I look that different. I am sure that they would ask me to get a new photo, that is certain. I am going to try to not be pulled over until I am ready to change name, gender, etc on all my docs. I am not yet "out" at work, and I would like to do that around the same time as I change the documents. My nurse practitioner for hormones kinda wants me to tell someone in authority at work sooner rather than wait till it becomes too noticeable that I am transitioning. My girlfriend Jennifer though thinks that I should wait a while, my face needs to become more feminine, and I need to get a decent wardrobe. I tend to agree, I have almost no female clothes, and no make up. I need to wait until my finances allow for these vital possessions. I should be in better finances in a few months, and hopefully I will pass better then as well. I need to be especially careful about passing in public pretty well before "coming out" at work. I work as a bicycle wine tour guide for both the Napa and Sonoma valleys, kinda a public occupation. At least three of the times that I have been ma'amed were at work though, so maybe in a few months, in the off season, I will be ready to go full time. Who knows. I will continue HRT and hope for the best, and also for more patience. :)

hugs,

Stephanie