• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I guess I pass pretty easily

Guest LizMarie

Guest LizMarie

I knew this intellectually from having been out a lot as myself, but there's something different mentally about being legally me, at least for me. Maybe not for others, but definitely for me, especially now that I don't have to pretend to be him at all ever again.

I went to the credit union yesterday to update my account there. I signed in, waited, and was called. "You're next, ma'am." I smiled at her and went to her desk where she asked what she could do for me. I told her I had a court order for a name change. "Oh? Let me see." I think she expected a last name change. She stopped, looked at the court order, looked at me, then asked for my account number, still a bit confused. I gave it to her and she looked it up.

She looked at me and with an incredulous tone of voice I heard "You're changing this from David to Cara?" I nodded, smiled and sat there. And then I think understanding dawned. She got the biggest grin and said "Let's get this taken care of for you!" I asked her to update the gender marker on the account records too. "Don't worry, honey, I've already got that!" Her tone was sweet, very positive, and that grin stayed on her face the entire time. She helped me order new checks, get my new debit card ordered, and when we were done, she simply said, with that grin still on her face, "Congratulations."

I grinned back and thanked her and walked out the door. Somehow I think I may have been the first transwoman transitioning who she has ever helped. And I think our interaction was a very positive one. I know it was for me. :)

Finally, speculation on my part, but she was black and I wonder if the high and positive visibility of Janet Mock and Laverne Cox helped at all in shaping her expectations of transwomen and if I fit those expectations? I'll never really know but I do know that for whatever reason, she was completely and utterly sweet to me. :)

• Admin

I had a pretty big grin on my face while reading your post, LizMarie. That's a great experience, hon. I'll bet it won't be the last such, either.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

Makes for a really good day :)

It is good to get such positive reactions

I hope you have many more of them!

Tracy x

Guest KerryUK

That was a lovely experience for you and one that I know will have put a spring in your step. It is absolutely wonderful to simply be accepted as the woman you are.

Congratulations.

Kerry x.

Guest Mickey

I simply love seeing stories like this. :) I would also call this lady's boss and tell them what a fine, outstanding, woman they have working for them. Bosses always like to hear that about an employee. :)

• Forum Moderator

Wonderful!

Sometimes I think about how bleak life really was before and how sweet it is now. And it is the moments like this that make it so.

Johnny