• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

First full day at work

Guest LizMarie

Guest LizMarie
Today was the first day that Cara was present in the office. I completed the legal name change last week but since I work mostly from home anyway, today was the first day at the office as me.

HR paperwork done, with an enthusiastic congratulations from the HR rep who helped me correct the relevant forms. My new health insurance card should be available to me within a few weeks. If there are any issues, she said she'd be sure to notify me.

New photo for ID taken. They're all mug shots but I have to say I like this one better than the old one.

IT began the process of changing my email and user ids. We seem to have gotten most of it, but not quite all yet. My contact there wants me to wait 24 hours to be sure all the changes to the Domain Controller are propagated outward to the secondary controllers before we investigate any anomalies.

My team mates all apparently had similar reactions. I walked in and "Who is.. oh! That's Cara!" :)

Got home from the office just a few minutes before my spouse, who pulled up having stopped at the grocery store after her classes were done. So still wearing my "power" suit (black blazer, black knee length skirt, white button down blouse, black hose and black shoes) I walked out to help bring things into the house. My neighbor, who is a strange old coot who also happens to own a strip club not too many miles down the road, was getting out of his truck. He stopped and stared. :P That's the third time he's seen me as me in the last week and it won't be the last. I suspect he wants to wander over and ask a question but hasn't done it yet. Color me amused.

I do have to say though, that my employer, being a Norwegian company that has strong and explicit corporate language protecting all LGBT people, and which has apparently fired people for breaking their zero tolerance policy on those issues, has been superb. Every step of the way, they have been helpful, and I was even able to get them a few answers they did not yet have since I am apparently the company's first transitioning trans employee.

I came home, made some PF Chang's for dinner (hate the restaurant - too pricey, but love the frozen meals at the grocery), and am now chilling out.

An excellent first day at work for Cara. :)

Congratulations Cara. :friends:

Sounds like you had a wonderful first day at work. :thumbsup:

Norwegian Company? Hmmmmmmmm.

I hope you will have many more successful days like today.

Please be kind to your neighbour(neighbor). Remember what our Mothers thought us.

Huggs, :wub:

Joann

• Admin

Actually, Joann and I had dinner at P.F. Changs in Atlanta back in early September, and you are right, it is expensive.

Sounds like the day was a total success and is an example of how having an accepting employer can make the difference. Good for you.

Guest Annutty

congrats :)

I am glad your company is so accepting of your transition. I am about to go to another company and I already talked to the HR director and he said they have already had people transition, and they are 100% supportive. So yay for both of us!

• Admin

Sounds like you did an excellent job of preparation. You have a supportive group at work, and that is fantastic. Big congrats on your new life.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

What a wonderful day or rather a day full of happiness and wonder.

Hugs,

Charlize

CONGRATS Cara !!!

That is so awesome !! especialy for here in good ole boy TX. to have a company that is supportive.

And so your new life fully begins !!

:friends: Jamie

Guest LizMarie

Actually, among the oil and gas companies in Houston, being LGBT friendly is the norm, not the exception. One known exception, which simply boggles the mind, is Exxon. But as a higher up a Chevron said, "If they want to cut themselves off from a segment of skilled engineers and professionals, it's more for us."

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations Cara

I'm so happy that you are on the way to living the life you've dreamed of. Congratulations on arriving Cara. You and I joined Laura's a couple of weeks apart and we haven't taken our eye off the ball. What a goal we had. Completely changing our lives for the better.

I wonder what new members joining Laura's now will completely change their lives in 2 to 3 years from now. They know themselves and are ready to be on the outside the same as what's inside their heart. I'm happy for you Cara.

Kathryn

Guest KerryUK

I used to get some pretty 'accusatory' stares from nearby neighbours but as time goes by and I have passed more and more, those kinds of stares get less and less. Now, people are used to me, wave, smile and exchange pleasantries AND call me 'Luv' which in Yorkshire is normally reserved for females (from men).