• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Shopping at the Napa Outlets

StephanieVikingGirl

Hi all,

Yesterday, I went shopping as myself, and for myself. I bought a nice purse, some tops, some sandals, and some foundation. I tried things on, went to the ladies room, and no one seemed to notice me. Except of course the nice salespeople who waited on me. I was chatty, and myself. I was ma'amed consistently. No problems at all. Jennifer came to visit last night, and today we went to the Safeway in St. Helena for groceries, and it gave me another chance to show off my new purse. :) It seems I had complete success during the past two days living full time. Unfortunately, tomorrow I have to go back to work as him. I am not sure how many more months I will be able to go on working as him, before "coming out" to my boss. Probably not many, I am not very good at acting as anything other than Stephanie nowadays. Lately I have been chatting with my friend Jennifer about getting my name and gender changed officially. Sometime soon I hope. In any case, I have to work while the season is hot, the off season approaches. I just figured I would let you all know the latest in Viking Girl "male fails". :)

hugs,

Stephanie

• Forum Moderator

Love those outlet stores ! Napa is a really nice place too.

Your story is stoking up shopping trip envy, come to think of it, I could use a new bag and some sunglasses, perhaps I'll head up to our outlet mecca in Marysville here, where all the Canadians come south to shop !

Sounds like a really nice shopping trip Stephanie.

C -

• Forum Moderator

Congratulations. It has been so much easier for me to simply shop as myself. I was always nervous before but now relax and enjoy the experience.

I remember the switching back and forth. I don't envy you that one. I was one reason i eventually had to go full time.

Your time may come if you wish it but it sounds like you can also enjoy today.

Hugs,

Charlize

Cool Stephanie, congrats.

I have to admit I looked into this thread cause the title said "Napa Outlets" which I thought you were referring to an auto parts stores (only Napa around here I seen). I thought that might have been subject of some interesting events....

Anyways cool about your shopping experience there and good luck with the coming out to your boss.

:score: :score: :score:

Congratulations on a very successful shopping trip, Stephanie.

May you have many more in your future.

outlet mecca in Marysville here, where all the Canadians come south to shop !

C -

<giggle> :blush:

Huggs, :wub:

Joann

Guest Faith gibson

Hi Stefanie,

I can totally relate to all the things you've mentioned in this thread. Shopping as myself has been wonderful for the most part. I'd love to have someone to go with. You're lucky to have that. I can especially relate to going back to being that 'other person' for work purposes.

Things are probably easier for you with that great smile. I have tried practicing mine but I have these Kurt Russell dimples that just look silly.

Some people that are/have transitioned, believe that transitioning doesn't begin until you are on hormones or have come out and are full time. I would argue that you and I are in transition right now. My life is no longer the same and is changing daily. What are your thoughts about that? My therapist agrees with it. :)

Faith

• Forum Moderator

I have to laugh at what Drea wrote. Napa is also my local auto parts store. The one in my home town is run by an ex marine who is as right wing as possible. Rush Limbaugh is a constant on his store radio. I lived in an apartment next door to him as we built our house so he had known me most of my life. Well one day i need a belt for the sawmill and had to face the fear of entering his world. Without saying a word he got his picker and brought the belt down from it's spot on the ceiling. I paid and was out the door. With barely a word but with my belt.

The moral of this story is simply that a sale is a sale and no one can avoid that unless they aren't good shopkeepers. Your money is your power to wield trans or not.

Hugs,

Charlize

LOL, I totally forgot about Napa autoparts stores! That's funny!

Faith, I totally agree that you and I are transitioning. My life is changing everyday, it is true. At this point, I am "him" only at work. Otherwise, I am Stephanie. I did "come out" to all my close friends, and even many who live far away. All of them usually remember to call me Stephanie nowadays. As far as going out in public as me, well that is new. I am not very brave, but HRT has changed me quite a bit. I know a lot of it is in my head, but most of the time when I look in the mirror nowadays I see a girl looking back. It kinda freaked me out at first, but I am getting used to it. Obviously, I can still pass as male at work, but I was a bit worried about it this morning. I changed shoes, and left my purse in the car, but as usual I wore my gold necklace, and earrings while at work. My combination of loose T-shirt with an unbuttoned logo blouse over it does seem to keep my breasts from showing (so far at least). I have naturally feminine mannerisms, and ways of speaking, so I subdue them a bit at work. However, right after work purse, women's sandals, and girly ways are back. I also tend to use my feminine smile a lot, and I believe that helps my presentation. On the way home, I picked up a few things at the Safeway grocery store, and think that I passed as a woman (at least as far as I could tell). I think it interesting how little I need to change in order to switch gender presentation. I am still changing at a fast pace, everyday seems to be progress on the womanhood express. Fascinating, and exciting times to be sure. :)

hugs,

Stephanie

Hi Faith,

I wasn't able to present as female until recently. It is from the hormones, almost entirely. I used to look very masculine, so much so that my friend Jennifer said that she would not even try to transition if she looked like me. That has changed. My ex-lover, now just a friend, suggested at the outset that I take selfies in order to track my progress under HRT. She was so right, I really did not expect my feminization to happen this fast. It has taken me by surprise. I will have to get off my too muscular butt, and start the name/gender change process soon. Jennifer thinks that I need to start tapeing down my nipples, before someone at work sees them when my outer blouse flys open with the breeze. I was invited to an engagement party for a co-worker yesterday, and the hostess kept glancing at my chest occasionally while talking with me. I tried not to look down, and tried to look non-chalant while accepting the invite, but I am pretty sure she could see that my left boob shape was showing through the T-shirt with my outer shirt being a bit too open at that moment. I have to be careful not to play too much with my long hair while working, and I definitely avoid throwing it over like I did for my avatar selfie. My face never looked like this before, it used to be real masculine looking. My nickname was "the Viking", and I looked it. I had thought when I started HRT at 55 years old, that I would have maybe a year before needing to "come out" at work, but I am getting close to permanent "male fail" after only four months, and 8 days. I realize that some of this concern might be placebo, and could be partially in my head. I will send my selfie to my best "guy friend" in Virginia to see what he thinks about my current appearance. He is brutally honest. If I am not fooling myself, then of course I am very happy about this turn of events. Amazing for a sometimes male natural bodybuilder, and barbarian to change so easily into the girl he always wanted to be. Oops, too chatty again. Sorry about the long post, but I felt a need to get this off my chest. B)

hugs,

Stephanie "the Viking" girl

Guest Faith gibson

Hi Stephanie,

Please don't be sorry about the long post. I found it very interesting. It is what we all dream about I'm sure. I've been told that hormones affect everyone differently and for people like you and I, over 50 years old, the changes may not be that noticeable so I find your experience very interesting.

You must have a very easy going workplace. Just to have your hair so long is saying something.

I was very involved in fitness as well. I didn't body build, I was an aerobics instructor for many years.

Anyways, I was very happy to read your post, thank you.

Faith