• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Growing Breasts

Guest Alice_M

Guest Alice_M

I am thinking of starting HRT. Will taking hormone make my nipple larger and more prominent? What is your experience as your breasts are growing when you still have the male character and appearance? How do people look at you? How do you cope with it?

This are some of my anxieties. Would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks

Guest Kaylee

Hi Alice,

While I am only 9 months into hrt, I can certainly give you my personal experience.

My nipples started hurting at around 4 months. I was so disappointed that they were hurting so much, and I wasn't seeing any kind of change in nipple or aereola size. From month 4 to month 6... bumping pain, poking pain, and of coarse pain from the 4 footed cridders I have bumping into me.... but nothing visual. Around month 7, I noticed an increase in nipple size, and month 8, I am about an A cup, and decided to finally get a sports bra.

I am out to almost everyone, so no binding. The growing pain of my breasts is constant for the last 4 weeks... and a constant amusement to the women around me.... as it hurts when I roll over in bed, bump the fridge etc etc.

So far... it's all worth it. I knew what I was in for, and while I don't look forward to pills or shots for the rest of my life.... this is totally the right track for me :)

I hope that answers some of your questions.

Hugs,

Kay

Hi Alice,

I am at almost a year on HRT, so even though everyone has a different experience, I will give you mine:

I started feeling some pain behind my nipples after about two weeks, and then my nipples stuck out a lot. Then breast development started. By the time I was on hormones for two months, I had to put an overshirt over my T-shirt in order to hide my small breasts. Oh by the way, growing breasts are real sensitive, so watch out for door jams. Once my breasts had gotten to be about A cup size, my nipples started to get bigger, and migrated some on my growing breasts. This was after about four months on HRT, and during this time my facial appearance had been changing a lot as well, and so shortly thereafter I went full time.

Now after eleven and a half months, I am a decent B cup, with appropriately sized, feminine looking nipples. I blend in easily as a woman now no matter what I wear, even without make-up. Your mileage may vary, but I couldn't pass as a male if I tried. Everyone is different, I am quite lucky in responding so well to hormones. I am sure others will give their experiences as well. I wish you well, and hope you learn all that you need to know. :)

hugs,

Stephanie

• Admin

6 years on HRT here, and still have the occasional whinges and twinges in the nipples, but not much change is visible since two and a half years in. At 6 months I did not dare roll on my stomach, and I quit wearing my breast forms about that time too. I had had some moobs (beer related) when I began HRT, but by 7 months the shape had changed from deltoid to rounded, but as the actual mammary gland tissue spread out, in my case it went into my arm pits as well. An under-wire (which I found were actually nylon) bra did shift them back to the front of my chest a bit and lifted them in front some too. I ended up with a B+ set of girls, and do still wear some silicone enhancers once again with some outfits, and I can go strapless in dresses with comfort and modesty.

Now for the wild part -- I have had two mammograms in the last three years. One of the 'grams showed some suspicious tissue in my right breast, which was biopsied and happily found to be benign tissue. The second 'gram two years later showed the marker chip in my right breast, but no new suspicious tissue. Yes I am a marked woman, but one who contributes to breast cancer research with new involvement and enthusiasm. My HMO describes my breast tissue today as dense tissue within the full range of normal for a woman my age. I am happy with what I have, and my crystal ball does not see Breast Augmentation in my future. A friend I went skinny dipping with described my nipples as "perky and feminine".

Guest Christina200

I've only got AAA cups so hardly noticeable but someone in a trans nightclub did ask if they were mine. Maybe they're bigger than I think! lol

Chrissy x

Hi Chrissy,

Have you tried on different bra sizes yet? You might indeed be bigger than you think. I wear a 38 B cup myself.

hugs,

Stephanie

Guest allygator

i been on HRT since like NOV 22nd 2014 and must say that with in my 3rd month i notice them hurtting some its now June 2015 and they have gotten a little bigger and well .... lets just say that they are getting really pointy and hard to hide wearing thin shirts still dressing as a guy cuz im not ready to go full time yet since im also working on voice..... never though to start easrly as well as my hair removal ...

must say though umm NOV 2014 to MAY 2015 notice when i lay down my bumps are not noticeable but its end of June & i lay down and now notice small bump ok not small kinda like....big hard not to over look, as i ride my BMX over pot holes and bumps they juggle and hurt.... omg... trying to reach over arm reast of table or counter top to get something they hurt.... trying to get though a open window or over a fence try not to hit em... they hurt, having people at walmart run into you or objects they hurt, walking down street or riding bike with WIND BLOWING hard aginst your chest the bumps are revaled BIG TIME....

for me i think i might need to find a way to bind em till im ready somethign anyway ** THEY ARE FRAKING AWESOME AND I LOVE EM **

just looking down and seeing them makes me happy untill i look far down beyond em and c that other thing..... i get all sad again n_n

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Alice_M

Thanks everyone. How did others look at your growing breasts and nipples? How did you respond to the way others look at you? I still remember when I was a teenager, a young girl asked her mom "why did he look like you?" while looking at me breasts. How did you overcome them? Thanks. Alice.

A wonderful women's health resource is 007 breast. It can be found at 007b.com

All kinds of information about growth and development, lactation, mammograms and self examination.

Many pictures of normal healthy breasts, instead of the Playboy faax bubbles. Breast augmentation pro and con.

Really an informative sight, well worth a look. I will never, never enhance my 44C cup girls or pierce my nipples, they showed me why. Hug. JodyAnn

Guest Cyndysub
I am still waiting for some decent breast growth and have an appointment next week with a doctor that prescribes micronized progesterone to her Transgender Female clients.

"In normal breast, estrogen stimulates growth of the ductal system, while lobular development depends on progesterone. Thus, estrogen and progesterone, when secreted in an adequate balance, permit the complete and proper development of the mammary gland. The Lobular structure accounts for much of the volume of a female breast".

Guest KerryUK

I believe that Cyndy is right,

I had heard somewhere that progesterone is the hormone which affects the shape of the breasts (simply put). I'd been on HRT for a few months at this stage and so the next time I saw my Endo, I asked her. She reassured me that the Evorel patches I use also have progesterone in them. So far, I'm probably a small B cup and really happy with the shape - like everyone though I'm hoping that there's a little more development to come yet.

Kerry

Guest Christina200

I take Prometrium which is a micronized progesterone.

The use of progesterone for breast development is very much a Marmite thing. For the benefit of the hordes of Americans on here that means you either love it or you hate it.

There is absolutely no concensus about whether it aids breast development or not. I personally think it is helping with my (very slow) development but maybe I'm just putting on weight!

I only use it for half the month. Taking it this way is also very debateable.

Chrissy x

Guest Sarah Faith

Ive been at this for several years now.. Hormones got me started pretty quick with breast development, but I was also fairly young when I started. I reached a B cup within a few months but I kind of stalled out there. Their shape was meh as I had lost a lot of weight prior to starting HRT that at the time things werent quite where I would have wanted them. I ultimately decided on breast augmentation. I'm a 36 DD at this point with phenomenal breast shape.. Honestly I couldn't be happier.. the difference from before and now is like night and day and they fit my body shape very welll. Especially now that Ive had my loose skin issues from the weight loss dealt with, the surgeon sculpted my figure as well so it all came together nicely.

Granted its the more pricy solution, but really every girl I know whos gone the Breast Augmentation route has been nothing but happy. For m it was the best choice because a B cup was just really quite small. definitely been a confidence boost for me.

Guest Christina200

Can everyone who has breasts bigger than AAA cup please not mention it. Anymore and I shall have to get therapy for depression! lol

Chrissy x

What is the old saying... "More than a mouthful is wasted" ??? Giggle.

I'd like to do a play on the old rearview mirror etching. Something like "Items under this T-shirt are larger than they appear!" LOL!

Guest KerryUK

Chrissy,

I've been on my HRT for just over 2 years and I think I was well on my way to being on them for a year before I noticed any development worthy of note. During this time, I had sore buds but that was about it. Once my hormone levels were stabilised under the supervision of my Endo, then I noticed more development right up until I had to come off them in preparation for my surgery.

You didn't mention an Endo so I'm assuming that your treatment is being supervised by one (especially as you're in the UK). Nor do you mention how long you have been on HRT. So, these things can and DO take a long time to get results (it takes cisgirls up to 5 years as they go through their puberty). If you aren't getting positive results, it might be worth mentioning to your Endo so that alternatives can be looked into. If all else fails (but you do need to give it time) you can request breast augmentation through your GIC.

Hope this helps.

Kerry

Guest Christina200

Hi Kerry,

thanks so much for your reply. It's very nice of you to take the time.

Well I don't have an Endo, currently on GIC waiting list - still waiting for 1st appointment.

I'm doing things er 'unconventionally' if you get my drift.

Been on hrt for about 8 months now with a slight trough of about a month when I was on a very low dose of oestradiol - long story.

Boobs are definitely growing but incredibly slowly. When I hear of people getting B cups in less than a year I'm thinking Oh my goodness!

Chrissy x

Guest G-A-L-E

Hello Everyone, while larger breasts might appear desirable, it could work against those seeking to pass. Stealth women are all about blending in. I have been coached by a couple and anything beyond a B cup on my tall thin body would be clockable. So I'll add that to my already long list.

It appears breast development is coupled to weight gain. The heavier girls have better development all around. I recently met a very pretty woman who had reached B cup status with only 8 months of HRT. She stated a height of 6' and weighed 190 pounds. Contrast that to me at 6' 3" 174 pounds and you might see the problem. She had a nice figure but it might not be for me. When you are my height it's all about reducing mass.

My body changes on HRT have really kicked into high gear post SRS. Breasts seem to be growing without putting on any additional weight. I also take progesterone despite my suspicion it works against my feminization goals. I maintain high hopes to move beyond AAA or A? status. Still less than a year on HRT. Perhaps there is some more growth left to go.

Thank you,

Anne

Guest Christina200

Hi Anne,

you had srs after less than a year on hrt? I'm really, really surprised at that.

Oh yeah stealth. Hmmm Stealth ain't my thing - I know a lot of trans women are stealthier than an air force bomber. I couldn't care less who knows I'm trans. It's better that way - free and easy you see.

I have been told by several people that I'm too thin to grow boobs. Ok I'm slim but I don't want to become a fatty to get boobs if that's what it takes. I weigh 160 pounds and I'm 5 ft 10.

Chrissy x

Hi Chrissy,

4 years of HRT and I have less than A breasts. I too have that stick-body figure, though I'm carrying a few extra pounds right now. The extra weight didn't go to the right places either.

I agree with Anne, that small breasts are more normal for a thin woman. I do wear a bit of padding, not much...

Love, Megan

Guest Sarah Faith

Hello Everyone, while larger breasts might appear desirable, it could work against those seeking to pass. Stealth women are all about blending in. I have been coached by a couple and anything beyond a B cup on my tall thin body would be clockable. So I'll add that to my already long list.

It appears breast development is coupled to weight gain. The heavier girls have better development all around. I recently met a very pretty woman who had reached B cup status with only 8 months of HRT. She stated a height of 6' and weighed 190 pounds. Contrast that to me at 6' 3" 174 pounds and you might see the problem. She had a nice figure but it might not be for me. When you are my height it's all about reducing mass.

My body changes on HRT have really kicked into high gear post SRS. Breasts seem to be growing without putting on any additional weight. I also take progesterone despite my suspicion it works against my feminization goals. I maintain high hopes to move beyond AAA or A? status. Still less than a year on HRT. Perhaps there is some more growth left to go.

Thank you,

Anne

I have to disagree. I've been living stealth for years and I don't get misgendered. There are a lot of tall natal women who have larger breasts, purportionality is really based more on shoulder width than it is height. Blending in is really a relative term.. Who is one trying to blend in with? Im stealth but I don't even bother trying to blend into the mainstream image of a woman. I don't wear what most people would see as lovely feminine clothes, but I also don't limit my self to "business casual" like I see so many other women do. I have a very colorful personality and I have absolutely no qualms of expressing that. I have tattoos, My hair colors tend to change pretty often and not always to natural colors, and I wear dark and fairly heavy scene style makeup. I am pretty much a ettiquite coach's worst nightmare.

Being stealth has a lot more to do with actually living authentically than it does trying to fit into a socially acceptable paradigm.

Guest G-A-L-E

Hello Chrissy, undergoing SRS with less than a year on HRT is much more common than you think. Its just something not talked about much. I suffered from 'Intense Transsexualism' and it can really mess with a persons life. Only one cure for the condition and that's SRS. Yes, it worked!

Now I can concentrate on career, dating face, body, presentation and life! I was also very aware that getting rid of the 'T' ASAP would pay big dividends towards feminization.

Still considering beast augmentation but just a B cup. I much prefer the 1978 no bra look. As it is, my BFF often will not let me out of the house without a bra. My stealth friends just say 'she's new'.

Thank you,

Anne

Guest KerryUK

Hi Chrissy,

You really are most welcome and I'm glad I can be of help.

By self medicating, you haven't got the same experience as an Endo who has been working with lots of trans people before you - so it goes without saying that you are missing out on that and as a result, perhaps not getting the results you require.

A lot of our development depends on genes too. My mother only had quite small boobs and so I didn't expect much myself - quite often, a rule of thumb can be that we can grow about a cup size smaller than our mother (even that's not a certainty).

Finally, I'm a firm advocate against self meddling. It's very very dangerous. Like you, I was tempted to try as I had many many months to wait until I could be seen by my GIC. But, I wanted to do it properly and safely. The body is so finely tuned and tiny variations in it's chemical makeup can cause organs to work harder to try to correct things - this can result in long term if not permanent damage or even worse still - death. Indeed, Laura from this Site learned that lesson the hard way and very nearly died (as I understand). Just be careful Chrissy and make sure you have regular blood tests.

Kerry

Guest G-A-L-E

Hello Sarah, lets assume I am much older than you. Established career, public speaking and interaction with government officials. I need to pay for transition and that means playing ball to earn a paycheck. Can't be stealth in my present environment but I can sure try to pass or at least sidewalk pass. My female style preference has been stuck in the 80's. Nice uniform look for professional settings and downright S L U T T Y for after work and weekend fun, horrifying many I am sure!

Odd thing about breast size for me Is the reaction I get wearing a padded B cup bra vs. just a cami. Everyone (public) seems to prefer the cami look. Looks less fake? I post many pictures on Twitter. Look me up, what do you think?

Thank you,

Anne Edwardz