• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Acceptance brings tears

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

I found out on Friday that there was a meeting of some sort at a local hospital and that the trans* community in the area needed support. I was told by a FTM friend who was going to go but who was too tired after working a night shift. I found a place to park in what is a fairly large city and started to search for the meeting. Eventually i found the way into what was a small auditorium packed with people. I saw a few folks i knew and said 'hi'. and ended up sitting in the back corner of the room. Just finding a place to sit was pure luck. The room was absolutely jammed. I was sitting surrounded by cis women who appeared to be workers at the hospital. We chatted and i mentioned that it was my 44th wedding anniversary. They simply loved that. The speakers started and soon it became clear that the hospital was attempting to better serve the GLBT community. Many of the speakers were cis administrators. At one point the GLBT community was asked to stand up. From my position i could see that only 5 or 10% of the folks in the room were standing. Wow all cis people and all medical professionals. The final speaker was a lovely trans* woman who heads the trans outreach of a local GLBT center. She told her life story focusing on her gender issues. The support, applause (throughout the presentation) and warmth i felt in the room was inspiring. So much support, so much acceptance.

On the way home in the car i cried.

Hugs,

Charlize

PS. The thought came that i knew one of the women in the line. Was it? Yes a fellow member here. What fun.

• Forum Moderator

My tears were happy but also bitter sweet when i think of the years and difficulties i and so many of us have faced. This wave of "it's OK to be me" is almost overwhelming at times.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest Charlotte J.

Thank you for sharing that, Charlize. I needed a little boost tonight. Catching up on all the good stuff that's happened with folks here in the past few days makes me happy. :)

Guest Christina200

That story is actually making me cry right now as I'm writing this. That's just fantastic. I agree with everything you've written and thanks for sharing that.

Chrissy x

Thank you for sharing this with us,Charlize. When we see that we are supported, loved, and accepted it makes all the difference in the world. The joy of being yourself will radiate on your countenance.

:ThanxSmiley:

• 2 weeks later...

HI Charlize,

Very inspiring post. I'm just blown away sitting here thinking about what that must have been like. Reading your post has given my day a great start.

• Admin

It's great that you went, and wonderful about the reception you all got from the hospital staff. Things are indeed changing for the better. Happy tears are good tears. Thanks for sharing your story, Charlize.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie