• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Can't Seem To Quit Drinking.

Guest Pioneer

Guest Pioneer
come on, you can do it.. if you have physical pain, you should really, really think about it seriously. have joined any kind of support network? like AA?

at least go see a doctor about that pain.

peace&love

Leigh

hey Leigh <3

the pain subdued after i didn't drink for one or two days. but yea i should just quit. urg so hard.

i didn't join support group because i don't want to tell everyone about my problem face to face other than internet actually.

i've started to workout again today just for the health sake and it feels great, except well i don't really wanna get buff but that's another matter.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Angelgrlsue

Pioneer that's great that you are working out. You can still work out and not get buff. I just joined a gym because I need to lose some weight and want to stay healthy. Just do alot of aerobics and when you lift use low weight and high reps. This will tone the muscles you already have. I know it is hard to stop the drinking but your body is telling you something there with pain. Are there any online AA support groups you can join? I'm sure there is sis.

I've done well with my drinking. I will admit I did have one beer a couple of weeks ago but that was all I had. You can do it girl.

Hugs,

Suzie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pioneer
Pioneer that's great that you are working out. You can still work out and not get buff. I just joined a gym because I need to lose some weight and want to stay healthy. Just do alot of aerobics and when you lift use low weight and high reps. This will tone the muscles you already have. I know it is hard to stop the drinking but your body is telling you something there with pain. Are there any online AA support groups you can join? I'm sure there is sis.

I've done well with my drinking. I will admit I did have one beer a couple of weeks ago but that was all I had. You can do it girl.

Hugs,

Suzie

I've switched to whiskey since past weeks but omg it's not any better. I've mixed with juice and soda but too much sugar..that can't be good. I've almost run out of money anyway so my drinking habit has been reduced significantly.

Don't know about AA groups here but I think I can hang on just little longer on my own. I'll be alright, sis hehe. Thanks for worrying.

Hugs to Suzie love from Pioneer

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Angelgrlsue
I've switched to whiskey since past weeks but omg it's not any better. I've mixed with juice and soda but too much sugar..that can't be good. I've almost run out of money anyway so my drinking habit has been reduced significantly.

Don't know about AA groups here but I think I can hang on just little longer on my own. I'll be alright, sis hehe. Thanks for worrying.

Hugs to Suzie love from Pioneer

Hi Pioneer. Sorry for getting back to you so late, have not been on the board in awhile. How is the non drinking? Yeah you don't want to mix whiskey and sugar together, that is a bad combo since sugar converts to alcholol. Hey I know a liquid that is superior to alcholol, WATER! Lots of it. I know I'm being a meanie but I don't want you to get sick. I had a cousin who died from alcholol poisoning. Drank himself to death. Sis, not everyone can go cold turkey with this. Go to an AA meeting and if there is not one close by I'm sure there are some online.

Hugs,

Suzie

Guest Pioneer
Hi Pioneer. Sorry for getting back to you so late, have not been on the board in awhile. How is the non drinking? Yeah you don't want to mix whiskey and sugar together, that is a bad combo since sugar converts to alcholol. Hey I know a liquid that is superior to alcholol, WATER! Lots of it. I know I'm being a meanie but I don't want you to get sick. I had a cousin who died from alcholol poisoning. Drank himself to death. Sis, not everyone can go cold turkey with this. Go to an AA meeting and if there is not one close by I'm sure there are some online.

Hugs,

Suzie

Sorry about your cousin w/ my honest sympathy. I wish to say i had quit and I'm fine now to make everything okay but that would be a lie. I'm back to my old habit. I could blame this on family gathering on 4th of July that I slipped up again but it was me that decided to take that sip again. I think it was the brand that made me sick..as I switched to 'better' beer, I no longer am sick nor taking trips to bathroom anymore. Life is getting more stressed as it is..I tried to make a list last week why I should quit drinking and I couldn't even come up with one. Oh well. What makes me happy? Beer. It makes me relax; it makes me sleep better. Who can argue with that. I've decided to accept that as just a part of my life.

• 1 month later...
Guest Kayliegh

I, too have used all sorts of things to help me "forget" who I really am - when I was younger, pot and booze, and then as I got older, drugs, then back to alcohol.

My GT has been very supportve in this area and has shed some light on why I (we?) do this. She dosen't think I'm an alcoholic and has given me some ideas as to how to curb my drinking when I can't be me.

If you can find a good GT who's looking out for you (and not the next payment!) you'll ultimatley be able to cope!

Guest Christine Beatty
Life is getting more stressed as it is..I tried to make a list last week why I should quit drinking and I couldn't even come up with one. Oh well. What makes me happy? Beer. It makes me relax; it makes me sleep better. Who can argue with that. I've decided to accept that as just a part of my life.

Many of us have resorted to drinking and drugs to cope with stress, everything from work & relationship problems to identity issues & transition travails. Hon, if you look over your posts here you'll be able to add at least one item to the top of the list of why you should stop drinking: your health. Having been in numerous rehabs and AA and NA and other support groups, I've seen firsthand that booze is in the same league as crystal meth for the damage it does to your body. In thefirst rehab I was kicked out of in 1988 I met a man who had wet brain from drinking too much. He was in his forties and it was like he had Alzheimer's. Seeing him scared me into my next rehab that year and got me my first four years of sobriety.

You can learn to relax and sleep in much more effective and healthier ways than alcohol or other drugs. Those are cop-out excuses. If you don't break your own denial (which may be one of the things subconsciously keeping you away from AA) you could end up in a very bad way and it will be too late. No matter what way your gender pans out, at least you'll be healthy with a clear head to figure out your life!

Christine B.

• 2 weeks later...
I read the replies...I just don't reply it when there's no change. I really appreciate the caring..Thank you all.

I want to add my experience to this thread. I drank as you describe for over thirty years and I finally drank myself into the place where nothing I could do would let the alchol cover up what was wrong inside please consider getting some help so you don't have to live your whole life miserable like I did It is such a relief now to be free of alchol and live as my truest self this is journey that is never over aa and a gender therapist did wonders for me best of luck to you Pioneer. Morgan

• 1 month later...
Guest Christine Beatty
I read the replies...I just don't reply it when there's no change. I really appreciate the caring..Thank you all.

Generally people don't go into AA or a rehab until something happens that breaks their denial: a bad accident, a drunk driving or other ETOH-related arrest or declining health a doctor can show is related to booze. For me it was liver enzymes that were nearing the level of impending cirrhosis. Fortunately I wasn't also on HRT at the time or I could have ended up with permanent liver damage.

All that said; if it's working for you then great, enjoy. But realize this: people who don't have drinking problems rarely think they might have one and they certainly don't come into a support group like this to confess they worry about their drinking. So keep an eye on yourself.

Generally people don't go into AA or a rehab until something happens that breaks their denial: a bad accident, a drunk driving or other ETOH-related arrest or declining health a doctor can show is related to booze. For me it was liver enzymes that were nearing the level of impending cirrhosis. Fortunately I wasn't also on HRT at the time or I could have ended up with permanent liver damage.

All that said; if it's working for you then great, enjoy. But realize this: people who don't have drinking problems rarely think they might have one and they certainly don't come into a support group like this to confess they worry about their drinking. So keep an eye on yourself.

thanks I know I am too soft hearted most times.

• 2 weeks later...

me either

i wish i was dead

i got no support

I feel so alone. It's just one of those many probs that I'm dealing with.

I use to drink 10+ beer a day for about a year now but I stopped (trying to quit) for a week and then drink again a week later, and then stop for another week and start all over again, and now I'm drinking again.

I don't wanna get a liver disease because that's what my Grandfather died from and I don't even remember him.

I got turned down by a girl I like when I asked her out this Monday..well..I tried to but she said she has a boyfriend with a big happy smile and that just totally caught me off guard. Now she probably thinks I'm some kind of a weirdo.

I'm just venting why I have no love in my life. I had a few chances but I just kicked it all off thinking I'm not ready for a relationship. Now that I want some love in my life, I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for reading at least. No need to reply. That's what all of you are here for and I'm abusing that previlage. lol.

Hello sweet heart.I my self use to drink all the time from beer to liquor liquor more than beer. I would drink just to hide my problems with my gender eschews my self to.I can also say that as long as I drank it became to where I like the taste of it and did not want to stop but when I was drinking i had no cares in the world and was in trouble all of the time.with my family and the law more with the law.I will not lie to you it took me many years to stop.I can say the AA meetings was not for me it was some thing that I had to do on my own.

I had to make my self 2 limits my first limit was for beers and my second was six I got to the point where I never crossed my 6 limit then I got to the point where I did not cross my 4 limit it was hard but i did it the biggest trick is to remind your self that drinking will not solve your problems that you are going threw they will still be there the next morning when you wake up you have always say that to your self it dose not help it just hides

• 1 month later...

Hello readers,

I also am alcoholic and can't stop drinking. My life is a complete mess. I too feel and am very alone. I hate the drink. It's destroyed my

life.I've lost my partner who I thought would never leave me. However it's the only this I can count on. Never lets me down.

My trust is gone for people. I don't know where or how to deal with all this stuff. I've tried AA and counselling. Thanks for reading.

Niko

Hello Nico,

Sorry you are in ""that hellhole"". Know what its like cos Ive

been there too hun. I finally got that taste out of my mouth 13 years

ago . Its been a while since I talked to someone who was still caught

in the trap so I hope this reads ok Nico. It took me several attempts

before I found Sobriety and you can too hun . Some of us are lucky

and sober up before we find the gutter ,not me ,I had to wake up in

the freakin gutter one morning , after that it was pretty clear , drink

and die, stop and live. I used to talk to folk in trouble with the booze

a few years back, so Nico, if you want to , get in touch any time 24/7.

You are not alone, luv,viv :)

Guest sarah f

I know kicking a bad habit like drinking is hard. I know in the end it will be all will power that helps you break the habit. Just remind yourself of your grandpa each time you want a drink and hopefully that will help.

Love,

Sarah F

• 3 weeks later...

Well girl I don't know what your status is and where you are at with your drinking.

I also can't tell you if your an alcoholic or not.

I know anyone here who works a 12-Step program has heard this saying, 'We all know how well it works alone'.

It just simple does not work alone. Someone suggested that you think of your grandfather (My best respects), that's a grand idea, however if your case is that of an alcoholic I think you should seek a little more help.

Finding a 12-Step group in your area should be pretty simple. They're the most amazing group of people in the world (my opinion) and have been THE most supportive group I've ever met. The best thing of all, we all had the same thing in common. They come from every walk of life imaginable. Yet we all have the one thing in common 'Alcoholism'

I hope this doesn't sound like preaching hun. But if you find that any other method you have tried does not help, just give it a shot =] if it's not for you then at least you tried.

Can't hurt to try.

I hope your feeling better. Sounds like you have a lot going on. Take care of yourself okay!