• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hi from Beverley50

Beverley50

Hi, I'm Beverley, and this is my first post. I'm a 50 yo transsexual MTF. I've had an orchiectomy 11 months ago and have been on HRT until recently, when I decided to embark on a personal journey with herbs, which I believe is less harmful to my kidneys, liver and body. 

So here I am. I hope I can get to know you and share with you. I'm sure I can help with things I've learnt and tips I've picked up along the way. 

Bev

• Admin
Just now, Beverley50 said:

I decided to embark on a personal journey with herbs, which I believe is less harmful to my kidneys, liver and body. 

This is not the case with what our members have found, and in fact the founder of this site is one of those victims and two years ago had to quit because of related problems that were worsening.  To be of an effective strength similar to your prescribed and monitored dosages, herbal hormones will be toxic.  We do not discuss herbal hormones AT ALL on these forums, but you are welcome to stay for other topics you may want to discuss.   Please carefully read our Community Rules, especially Rule 14

You may not recommend dangerous or harmful treatments. This includes both herbal and non-prescription hormones, "reparative" or "conversion" therapy, and any other medication or treatment that has been proven to be fraught with danger.

http://www.transgenderpulse.com/community-rules/

Understood!

I have no intentions of discussing or talking about herbs. I just mentioned it to give a pointer to where I currently am in my journey. I'm taking a break from my regular estradiol and related medication, to rest my organs. 

So no worries. I'll conform to the rules.

Bev

• Forum Moderator

Hi Bev and welcome :)

I hope you find your time here useful and enjoyable, join in the conversations.

Have a look around and post away as the mood strikes ya

Hugs

Cynthia -

• Forum Moderator

Just now, Beverley50 said:

I'm taking a break from my regular estradiol and related medication, to rest my organs. 

Hi Beverley, very nice to meet you.  I'm glad you've joined us.  I am personally interested in the challenges you have faced using prescription HRT medications.  I was on Spironolactone for 3 months and had to stop a month ago due to a 6% drop in Kidney function (eGFR) during those 3 months.  I am now off that medication but still on Estradiol.  I also just changed endos (due to distance..not anything bad) and my new endo isn't so sure it's the Spiro and I am doing monthly testing (full labs) from here on out.  Did you have something similar happen that may have changed your or your doctors decision to get off prescribed HRT?  Don't answer if your uncomfortable sharing but I am trying to find the cause of my own recent kidney issues. 

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator

Welcome Beverly.

I do hope that your use of non prescription substances do not cause you any harm Beverly.  I remember being tempted but after reading of some of the difficulties i backed off.  HRT under a good medical supervision is difficult enough!.  I have rather severe coronary artery disease so HRT has been difficult.  I found spiro to be problematic and eventually decided on an Orchi.  That is no longer an issue and my E is delivered with a spray which is as safe as possible.  My levels are good and are monitored.  

Having lived some years now with an illness that can quickly kill me i can't begin to even consider anything other than the safest route possible.  Years ago trans folks had to experiment but i am fortunate now to have a safer route to being myself.

Hugs,

Charlize

Hi, Beverly! As a healthcare professional, I love seeing people being aware of the effects of what we put into our bodies. HRT with estradiol, spironolactone and other prescribed transition meds aren't inherently harmful in the doses recommended by WPATH. The best way to monitor the effects of any meds is with regular blood tests ordered and monitored by your physician. The main concern with the liver or kidneys where all oral meds are metabolized is not with the med per se, but with the general health of these organs. With accepted dose levels, excessive loading isn't normally a concern unless other things are being consumed that also work these organs hard, such as heavy alcohol consumption, over-the-counter drugs and so on. Herbs can be harmless, but there is more risk, and they aren't safe without the supervision of a physician who is aware of what is being taken. What you describe is self medicating, and this is never a good idea in transition or as a cisgender woman trying to self-treat menopausal symptoms. I hope you will seek the advice of your physician before you stop or start anything. There are alternative delivery routes for HRT that bypass these organs if this is a concern, such as transdermal gels or patches being the most common and safest. Best wishes and happy trails!

• Admin

Welcome to Trans Pulse, Beverly.  We have lots of great members, an outstanding staff and excellent resources here.  We are happy to answer whatever questions you have (within the rules, of course).  The more you participate, the more you, and we, will learn. 

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Hi everyone. OK, I'll use this post to answer all of you. 

I have had an orchidectomy just on a year ago now. I've had my first testicle removed in my teens due to non function and continuous infection following a fall accident from a hedge. The remaining one, together with the ball-sack and eccess fat around tue scrotum was removed last Feb. This was my decision, following therapy, shrink sessions etc. It was also due to fear of cancer, something that has been monitored by my doctor since my teens. As I understand it I have a predisposition for testicular cancer, following the initial injury. AND,  I am bisexual and have been crossdressing for 30 years now. I always felt that I am a woman living in a man's body, so to have the orchidectomy was a natural step in my life journey. Just don't know why I waited so long. I didn't want to go all the way . . . yet! That is something to consider in future. The groundwork has been laid. It is just so handy to have a little penis that's easy to fold away (hope I can say this here). So now I need a lesser intake of pharma because of the non-production of testosterone through the testes, and the only meds I continue to take daily is the progesterone, which acts as a balancer. My T is low so why take so much pharma?

So here is a rough breakdown of my pharma over the past year. I only take the Prometrium now, but might drop this to see what happens. 

Climara Estradiol
Estradurin Estrogen
Androcur - antiandrogen/ progestogin
Propecia Finasteride (5α-Reductase inhibitor)
Prometrium Progesterone
Calsium/zinc/magesium power formula
Coconut oil for massage

That' about it. Your comments are welcome.

Bev

Edited by tracy_j
Drug doseages removed re Rule:13