• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I told my brother I'm questioning

tapeleg42

My brother and I have always been incredibly close, to the point where even our friends who have siblings have been amazed by it.  He's the Jake to my Finn.  So he was always going to be the first person I told, but I wanted to wait until I saw a therapist and got some harder answers about myself.  But he had come to visit this weekend for a family party, and we were riding high off of good family vibes and alcohol, and stepped outside for a smoke break (by which I mean it wasn't 4:20 but we still blazed it) where we started talking about life and family and whatnot.  So the combination of lowered inhibitions and being finally being in the same place as him caused my feelings to rise to the surface, and I told him that I think I might be trans.

He listened calmly and patiently while I talked, and then listed some friends of ours who *are* trans that I should talk to.  When I said I wanted to find a gender therapist, he recommended I go to Planned Parenthood for references.  In the end we shared a big hug and went back to the party.

I always knew he would be accepting, but actually hearing it come from him, and knowing I'll always have his support, makes all this less scary.  I'm not ready to tell anyone else yet though, but now that I've had some practice I'm hoping, when the time comes, it will be easier.

Hi! Great news! Family and friend support is always the best when possible. Also having a therapist is good too so you can have outside professional help. I hope the best for you! ?