• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Your Inner Nerd Is Begging To Be Let Out

Guest Neuro

Do you have any nerdy hobbies?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have any nerdy hobbies, poyo

• YES
    • Nope
    • A TON
    • A few

Guest Neuro

As many may know and few may care, I am a proud nerd and otaku. Otaku is basically Japanese for "Obscenely obsessed with a particular thing to the point of it taking over your life". I am an anime and manga otaku, and a sci-fi nerd; and an internet geek.

Many people are not quite as obsessed as me (or weird or socially dead at fault of their weird hobbies of collecting nendoroid chibi figures) but many people have nerdy hobbies! Even people who are not full-blown otaku or 'geeks' sometimes have late-night TERMINATOR movie marathon or enjoy collecting Pokemon cards.

LET'S LIST OUR NERDY HOBBIES AND LAUGH/LOVE WITH EACH OTHER!

Here is a condensed list of my insanity

1: collected every Inuyasha manga to volume 24 for a span of 2 years, spending over 200 dollars on the fool books when one day I realized: I no longer like this series. (I really don't anymore, not after season one then everything became too commercial and not about the story. *rant*)

2: Same with collecting every Inuyasha figure now having the entire main cast aside from Kagura and Koga; spent at least 150 on them but they are now worth about 300 as a collection because I got some of the rare ones cheap o3o

3: I calculate the net worth of my collectibles as you can see OTL

4: Every Saturday for about a year I watch Code Geass english dub on Adult Swim, and cried in the latest episodes with Rolo... (HE LOVED HIS BROTHER GOSHDARNIT)

5: I have a giant Mokona plush (from CLAMP manga) and put my fedora on it

6: My manga collection ALONE is worth at least 10000 dollars, over the years it spanned to two full bookshelves with artbooks, collections of series, and rare titles. 98% are mint condition, aside from secondhand ones purchased from discount bookstores (my favorite places on earth!!)

7: I have memorized "The Goonies" (HAY YOU GUYYYYSSSSSS)

8: I bought a Princess Leia from the "Return of the Jedi" movie when the was on the planet with the Ewoks at age 8; still have it; and convince myself nightly that since I saved the box it will be worth thousands.

9: "Moemoemoeeee" is part of my daily language

10: I wear a labcoat as daily attire. I am not a doctor.

Oh, and Weird Al Yankovich has and always will be my idol. Him and Kazutaka Muraki from Yami no Matsuei, only Muraki is a horrible person and Weird Al is pure unadulturaded WIN

Does anyone else have nerdy, scary, or funny hobbies/mini stories they wanna share? 8D

(My goal here is to see if anyone can out-nerd me, so far I am not sure if anyone can ohohohoho *dons Char Aznable uniform*)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sally

• EVAN_DESU

Guest OneOutOfnOne

I've met Weird Al Yankovic, he's a friend of my father. My father's band toured with him before he was famous.

Guest Zabrak

Well, I'm called a nerd by my friends but I don't know how you define "nerd".

I'm a Star Wars fanatic and a Star Trek fanatic(Trekkie boy). I can tell you from the top of my head the entire sith history, every name of every sith lord and the sith timeline from the day they started. I can tell you how the term "Lord of the Sith" came to be and about the dogmatic view of the jedi and so much more. I'm like a walking, talking Star Wars history book. My boyfriend claims I know more then him and his friends who play Star Wars D&D.

Guest Neuro

That is too awesome, Zabrak!! I bow before your skillz.

I am not sure what definition by 'nerd' is the norm. (Remember kids, labels are bad for you! At least, that's what the koolio people say) I suppose it is merely being obsessed with something that is considered out of the ordinary, or even unpopular--but at the same time, is something that you would not give up or diss because you love it.

In definition, someone confident and just a little bit weird.

When I was young, I knew EVERYTHING about Star Wars; I still carry a little of it with me. You'd think it was an actual history how detailed and vast that universe is, far far away....~~

Guest Leigh

well, i think my definition of nerd is slightly different than yours.

i would say you fall more into the "dork" category (this is not meant to be an insulting term)

"nerd" (in my...*ahem* nerdy book) is more someone who is overly academic....and i've had discussions about these terms with friends & family...

for example, i enjoy spending hours reading the most recent theoretical paper in physics that i can get my hands on, discussing theories on how society and culture came to be....

i like math, even though i'm not any good at it. i mean i am terrible at it. but i like to read papers about math.... i'm obsessed with animal psychology and concepts such as animal language, intelligence, etc...

i research every band i ever hear of to see if i should get all of their albums.. i watch foreign films just so that i can hear something other than English spoken on a semi regular basis...

well...i guess that's really all i care to say...lol...

peace&love

Leigh

Guest Neuro

HAHAHA you're right I am way too stupid to be a 'nerd' I guess I'm just an 'otaku'/'fool' (Terminology+me=FFFF)

You sound horribly intelligent, Leigh. Although I do admit to be a huge fan of foreign films, especially of the silent variety. Fritz Lang is my hero!!

I am such a nerdddd!

xD hahaha!

No need to explain!

Everything I do is worthy of being called a nerd! xD

HAHAHA you're right I am way too stupid to be a 'nerd' I guess I'm just an 'otaku'/'fool' (Terminology+me=FFFF)

You sound horribly intelligent, Leigh. Although I do admit to be a huge fan of foreign films, especially of the silent variety. Fritz Lang is my hero!!

Wow a silent foreign film fan!

I am impressed, of course "Metropolis" was considered his greatest silent film - epic in length also.

Later in the movie M, his first sound motion picture, he introduced Peter Lorre to the world.

Are you a fan of F.W.Murnau?

He directed the first screen adaptation of Dracula called "Nosferatu" and in it was one of the earliest examples of stop action photography used in a motion picture* (a scene where the coffin loads itself into a carriage) I guess that I would have qualified as a nerd.

Love ya,

Sally

*Willis O'Brien, the producer and animator for the first "King Kong" listed him as his inspiration and Willis in turn inspired the great Ray Harryhausen followed by Douglas Trumbull and then came Industrial Light & Magic.

Guest Neuro

YES, Metropolis is incredible--If I were to become a director, I would wish to tackle that project. 'M' is also a favorite and very epic, and House by the River as well. So many of his films really inspired genres of the modern era.

I actually have yet to track down a copy of Nosferatu at my local library! ;___o It has been my goal this year to watch.

Guest Leigh

man, why are you always calling yourself dumb? that isn't what i meant at all...

i just think dork is a slightly more appropriate word. by the way, dorks are awesome.

stop putting yourself down

peace&love

Leigh

Guest 1charlotte1

I have memorized flcl and deathnote. My friend and I refer to eachother as neko chan. I have been going to anime Iowa and otaku Omaha since I was ten (I cosplayed for every one) I have a wallet sized picture of rock lee (from naruto) giving a thumbs up in my wallet! U are a splendid ninja lee!! I have seen everything involving any type of ghost in the shell. I own every miyazaki movie (I am very proud of this one) I have every pokemon game and every type of gameboy/ds. I have spent all night playing the pokemon games on multiple occasions. I own multiple shuriken. I haven't stopped talking about final fantasyXIII since I first heard about it.

In terms of the intelligent nerdy. I don't want to go into it. I don't agree with measuring intelligence. And I think the schools method of taking someones effort in class turning that into a number and then turning that number into a letter is oneof the most flawed methods Of measuring intelligence. Therefore I have nothing to brag about because it is all worthless to me. Good or bad.

Luv, Charlotte

Guest Neuro
man, why are you always calling yourself dumb? that isn't what i meant at all...

i just think dork is a slightly more appropriate word. by the way, dorks are awesome.

Fufufu I am sorry. I am not very smart, but I guess does not mean I am super-dumb~

I called my Japanese teacher a dork once and he cried, because he thought it meant something really bad. So I told him and then he was embarrassed. XD

Miyazaki movies are AWESOME Charlotte!! I like Castle in the Sky and Princess Mononoke the best >:3

Measuring intelligence as in school levels I do not think I agree with, either--I suppose that 'smart' is not only one thing! People can be intelligent in different things, I think so long as you are capable of taking care of yourself you are smart. And then branching from that, there are many ways to be 'intelligent,' whether it's knowing math or loving old movies or being a WWII expert or even memorizing Disney cartoons. If you are willing to learn and love something enough to learn about it, no matter how obscure; you can be proud and be sure to want to know everything about it and share it with others! That is what I think "Smart" is.

In a way, that is being an otaku. (in a small way.)

Guest 1charlotte1
Fufufu I am sorry. I am not very smart, but I guess does not mean I am super-dumb~

I called my Japanese teacher a dork once and he cried, because he thought it meant something really bad. So I told him and then he was embarrassed. XD

Miyazaki movies are AWESOME Charlotte!! I like Castle in the Sky and Princess Mononoke the best >:3

Measuring intelligence as in school levels I do not think I agree with, either--I suppose that 'smart' is not only one thing! People can be intelligent in different things, I think so long as you are capable of taking care of yourself you are smart. And then branching from that, there are many ways to be 'intelligent,' whether it's knowing math or loving old movies or being a WWII expert or even memorizing Disney cartoons. If you are willing to learn and love something enough to learn about it, no matter how obscure; you can be proud and be sure to want to know everything about it and share it with others! That is what I think "Smart" is.

In a way, that is being an otaku. (in a small way.)

Therefore u are smart!!

And my favorite miyazaki movie is howl's moving castle followed by spirited away and princess mononoke. *those are just the top three, castle in the sky is fourth)

Guest Zabrak
That is too awesome, Zabrak!! I bow before your skillz.

I am not sure what definition by 'nerd' is the norm. (Remember kids, labels are bad for you! At least, that's what the koolio people say) I suppose it is merely being obsessed with something that is considered out of the ordinary, or even unpopular--but at the same time, is something that you would not give up or diss because you love it.

In definition, someone confident and just a little bit weird.

When I was young, I knew EVERYTHING about Star Wars; I still carry a little of it with me. You'd think it was an actual history how detailed and vast that universe is, far far away....~~

B)

In terms of the intelligent nerdy. I don't want to go into it. I don't agree with measuring intelligence. And I think the schools method of taking someones effort in class turning that into a number and then turning that number into a letter is one of the most flawed methods Of measuring intelligence. Therefore I have nothing to brag about because it is all worthless to me. Good or bad.

I agree, sadly I'm in college so I have to fall into that system.

Guest Melanieshaman

Well, i think i will make a list...

Star wars junkie

star trek junkie

comic book reader, writer, artist

mmo player (p2p, and f2p)

table top miniature wargamer

table top rpg player

cartoon watcher (Star wars, futurama, simpsons, king of the hill....)

lego collector

history , discovery, G4, cnn watcher

I'm sure there's more ...

Guest 1charlotte1
B)

I agree, sadly I'm in college so I have to fall into that system.

We all have to follow the system. But once ur out of college it will change! I don't want to say grades don't matter, because in a way they do. They just aren't nearly as important as they seem at the time. Right now if I do poorly on one assignment it is world war three at my house (even though it is completely worthless in life) I also like to complain about when people refer to graduating as joining "the real world" I am apart of the world whether or not I am in highschool! I am not going to suddenly have an epiphany and the world won't be any different than it was before I leave.

Sorry for the tiny rant! Charlotte

Guest Pól_Eire

1. I have a nearly encyclopaedic knowledge of Harry Potter (seriously...just try me).

2. I like to read about places I know I'll never go.

3. Two words: maths major.

4. I can still sing my part from almost anything I've ever played or sung if I have the recording.

5. I've memorised more than 10 movies. Similarly, I've seen every episode that's ever aired of "N.C.I.S." and "Father Ted."

6. I practice more than one instrument more than once every day. If that's not a nerdy habit, I don't know what is.

7. I like to try to predict the weather by looking at cloud patterns.

8. When I get homesick, I label things in my room in Irish. (I feel like that ought to be part of one of those joke lists that start "You know you went to gaelscoil when...")

9. I try to figure out what instrument people play when I meet them. Even if they don't play an instrument, I mentally sort them into instrument categories.

10. I learned all the capitals of the US states before I came here.

I'm a different kind of nerd, I guess.

Pól

Guest Zabrak
We all have to follow the system. But once ur out of college it will change! I don't want to say grades don't matter, because in a way they do. They just aren't nearly as important as they seem at the time. Right now if I do poorly on one assignment it is world war three at my house (even though it is completely worthless in life) I also like to complain about when people refer to graduating as joining "the real world" I am apart of the world whether or not I am in highschool! I am not going to suddenly have an epiphany and the world won't be any different than it was before I leave.

Sorry for the tiny rant! Charlotte

No don't worry - I understand. My parents always used that as a threat. That "you'll be in pain and suffer when you graduate and join the real world". You are in the "real world" because right now you're doing what you're suppose to do...it is really illogical to say what they say. I think all they are trying to say(if parents had learned better parenting skills) is that things will start to cost you lots of money and you'll learn more about how hard it is to keep up with the bills when you move out. Nothing more.

Guest Neuro

Pol_Eire you are an incredibly epic kind of nerd. Frighteningly awesome in each and every way. *high fives*

(Hugs you all}}

Guest 1charlotte1
1. I have a nearly encyclopaedic knowledge of Harry Potter (seriously...just try me).

2. I like to read about places I know I'll never go.

3. Two words: maths major.

4. I can still sing my part from almost anything I've ever played or sung if I have the recording.

5. I've memorised more than 10 movies. Similarly, I've seen every episode that's ever aired of "N.C.I.S." and "Father Ted."

6. I practice more than one instrument more than once every day. If that's not a nerdy habit, I don't know what is.

7. I like to try to predict the weather by looking at cloud patterns.

8. When I get homesick, I label things in my room in Irish. (I feel like that ought to be part of one of those joke lists that start "You know you went to gaelscoil when...")

9. I try to figure out what instrument people play when I meet them. Even if they don't play an instrument, I mentally sort them into instrument categories.

I'm a different kind of nerd, I guess.

Pól

What instrument am I?? (this is a test)

I have to agree with what's been said before. Michael's not allowed to call himself dumb anymore. I vote we all correct him from now on. XD

Guest OneOutOfnOne

9 reminds me of a passage in a book I just finished that I liked very much, which described a teenage boy as having an unkempt appearance which indicated he either wrote bad poetry or played a wind instrument. The book was The Game by A.S. Byatt, if anyone is curious. Pól, do I give the impression of a specific instrument?

As for 10... I knew all the U.S. states and capitals by age three. There is video evidence of this.

I think I used to be much more of a nerd than I am, partially because I actively resisted the nerd label. But I still am and always will be a nerd in words and in music. I love bad puns and elegant phrasing, and have the most precisely defined musical taste of anyone I know.

Now, what Leigh pointed out is the distinction between 'nerd' and 'dork'. My understanding has always been that 'nerd' implies a person who is generally excited by knowledge, regardless of subject, while 'dork' implies a person has specific obsessions with specific areas of interest. In this way have I always been more nerd than dork.

Guest Neuro

Hehehe states and me are not a winnin' combo~~

The Human Instrumentality Project issssss~

Aw man I just found my littlefoot plush from The Land Before Time *bawls* my favorite childhood toy~~