• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Your Inner Nerd Is Begging To Be Let Out

Guest Neuro

Do you have any nerdy hobbies?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have any nerdy hobbies, poyo

• YES
    • Nope
    • A TON
    • A few

Guest Nikk

1. I've read all of the Harry Potter books (except the last two because of lack of time) at least ten times IF NOT TWENTY. I stopped counting after 14.

1b. I got my boyfriend at the time to dress up as Remus and I went as Sirius to an anime convention. A few people asked us to make out so that they could take pictures.

2. Got a question about Dynasty Warriors? I can answer it. My Sun Shang Xiang figure sits on my desk and waves her useless arrow around.

3. I collect all the sheet music I can find. My favorite? Under the Sea from The Little Mermaid.

4. I tried to calculate how much anime I watched once and it came out to a full month of time spent... That was about three years ago when I knew absolutely nothing about anime.

5. I was the only child my old school had to put a reading LIMIT on. They also told me not to write because I was never going to be successful in school as a creative writer (HAH, I SHOWED THEM), and then proceeded to tell me that I wrote better than the teachers did.

6. I'm a speecher. In the past year I have memorized two ten minute speeches and performed them in front of judges. I even got to states (not to nationals, unfortunately).

7. I have a pokemon poster in my room, I used to collect pokemon plushies. I have pokemon videos that I can't even play anymore because I don't have the right player. I haven't stopped being a pokemon fanatic in eleven years.

8. My spare time is spent writing novels in extremely short periods of time... Maybe not so much nerdy as insane.

9. I still love Disney and probably always will. Hunchback of Notre Dame and the Lion King were two of the best movies ever.

9a. I have always thought that Timone/Pumbaa was canon.

10. I could tell you almost every single special ability of each Dungeon creature in Heros V. I used to know the special abilities of all the creatures in all the factions. Although I don't expect anyone to know what I'm talking about.

Maybe not so much nerdy as crazy. Juuuuuuust crazy.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sally

• EVAN_DESU

Guest Pól_Eire

@ Neuro - *high five*

Not to muddy the waters, but if we're discussing the differences between "nerd" and "dork," where does "geek" fit into that?

@1charlotte1 and OutOutOfnOne - OK so it's a little more difficult online, but here's where I had placed you (I make no guarantees about being right tho, and in fact I'm often wrong. This is just where I had mentally sorted you):

1charlotte1 -- Bass Clarinet.

OutOutOfnOne -- French Horn. Or possibly Cello.

@Nikk - ...excellent. I think you've joined me and Mike in epic nerd-ness.

-Pól

Guest Neuro

ASDFGHJKL;LKJHGHJ NIKK I am a huge Potterhead too!!! YESSS and I admit I still adore Disney! At least, the good old-school stuff.

And that is a really neat system, Pol_Eire! I don't play any instrument aside from the ocarina (another nerdy thing) but I wonder if I have a music rank? o^0

Guest Pól_Eire

Wait, also, I was reminded by Cody in another thread. I cube. That's got to be one of the nerdiest things ever. My best 3x3x3 time is 37 seconds, and my best 4x4x4 time is 5:02. I'm still learning 4x4x4 methods though.

@Neuro -- Oboe. Do you play the ocarina because of Zelda? Also, just call me Pól, if you want.

Pól

Guest 1charlotte1
@ Neuro - *high five*

Not to muddy the waters, but if we're discussing the differences between "nerd" and "dork," where does "geek" fit into that?

@1charlotte1 and OutOutOfnOne - OK so it's a little more difficult online, but here's where I had placed you (I make no guarantees about being right tho, and in fact I'm often wrong. This is just where I had mentally sorted you):

1charlotte1 -- Bass Clarinet.

@Nikk - ...excellent. I think you've joined me and Mike in epic nerd-ness.

-Pól

Close! I mostly play alto saxophone, I have learned trumpet, trombone, and baritone also! (made my own digeridoo and learned to play it with YouTube lessons! Lol just use the white plastic pipe and beeswax for the mouthpiece!

Guest Neuro

I play ocarina because my friend bought me one, and said "If you do not make beautiful music then spring will never come" LOL

I never heard of an oboe before, is it hard? =u= I'm so sleepy im drooling on mi comp....... thinkin' about dying hair blonde ffff <w< *snuggles in*

Guest Eva Jean

Nerdy hobbies eh? As mentioned elsewhere I'm a fantasy freak and enjoy conlanging and conworlding (making languages and worlds). I've got a fantasy world I've been working on for the last 2 years almost. My favourite part is making languages and the religion aspects of a culture.

I'm also into sci-fi (love star trek, stargate, used to like starwars but I find the new movies a bit much and prefer to stick to the original trilogy.)

I used to know all the houses and family trees of the elves from the silmarilion but musta pushed that info out to allow room for school.

I like calculus and sometimes do some trignometric equation solving for fun lol.

cant really think of much else.

Guest Soph

Hmm, play video games 24/7 (probably need to stop that; WoW is rather addicting)

I absolutely LOVE logic puzzles and things of that sort. Play minesweeper (top time of 150 on expert), with a rubicks cube time of right around 2 minutes (I just started it, don't make fun :P)

I do truth tables for fun. I memorize large numbers (50 digits of pi, I need to commit to more, haven't for over a year, as well as 10 of the golden ratio and the square roots of 1-10 to ten digits (except for 4 and 9, how am I supposed to remember them!?))

I'm getting into anime a lot lately. Started with Death Note (AMAZING) and Elfen Lied. Most recently watched Full Metal Alchemist (also amazing, although the end got a bit tedious). Read the Chobits manga a few years ago.

I'm decent at DDR. I'm not like top 100, but I can beat Brilliant R.E.D with an A on heavy (along with Guidecca, which is supposed to be easier, but I have a harder time)

I'm getting into modding games a little bit. Starting with the Crysis editor and Oblivion Construction Set. Haven't started scripting yet, thats a bit too much. Mostly just drag and drop at this point.

I almost got into D&D in around 9th grade. Probably would have but my friends didn't want to play.

Also was into Magic: The Gathering around 11th-12th grade. My proudest moment? Taking 4th in a draft of about 10 people :P

Don't know how nerdy this is, but I'm EXTREMELY opinionated about music. I maintain that if it doesn't require any skill to play, its not worth listening to. My friends have very different tastes than I do, and that often leads to discussions that really frustrate me. There is a certain integrity inherent in good music, and music for commercial gain is a mockery of real music. You have to listen to music that is both challenging to play (I'm talking the greats: Clapton, Peart (absolutely FANATICAL about Neil Peart), Jeff Beck, Victor Wooten (on a level all his own musically), Page (not my personal favorite, but I admit he is amazing)) and also has a message (Rush and Pink Floyd are my favorites for concept albums and things of that ilk)

That and I'm completely inept in social settings. Think that may be a bit nerdy :P

Guest Pól_Eire

@ Soph - Victor Wooten is ridiculous. Just completely ridiculous. He's SO GOOD.

@ Mike -- here's a video of someone playing the oboe (very very well). It's probably harder to learn than most instruments, but I've never tried to learn oboe.

Going to go listen to Victor Wooten,

Pól

Guest OneOutOfnOne

I love the French horn. It's one of my favourite instruments to write for, and it's next on my list of instruments to learn.

Oh, and Mike? Pól's video isn't just 'some guy playing the oboe very well'. That's HEINZ HOLLIGER. He is THE oboe player.

Soph has reminded me of a few of my other nerdinesses.

I played Magic: The Gathering for a good five years, and still bring out the old cards every now and then when I see the old friends I used to play with.

I used to know the first 100 digits of pi.

I have played Minesweeper a ridiculous amount, my computer tells me that 187 was my best time on expert. Lately I've been on FreeCell, for which my record is 97 consecutive wins.

I also enjoy truth tables a great deal.

Also, have I mentioned I'm creating my own language?

I am a trumpet player but I once had an oboe player and woodwind instructor tell me that I had the first natural oboe embouchure that he had ever seen.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Pól_Eire
I am a trumpet player but I once had an oboe player and woodwind instructor tell me that I had the first natural oboe embouchure that he had ever seen.

Love ya,

Sally

I think the trumpet embouchure lends itself very well to proper oboe embouchure. I was messing around with a mate's oboe while he was failing at playing my trumpet, and I got a very decent sound out of the oboe straightaway. Maybe they should make all the people who want to play oboe learn trumpet first...and then we will take over the world. :D

And Lydia, I'm glad you like horn because sometimes people get offended.

Pól

Guest Neuro

UWAH OneOutOfOne, I made a language as well! I wrote it down too, based it on Russian and English characters, and Japanese formatting and mainly German sounds. Mannnn it's really fun to do!! I forget what I called it though because it was about a month ago (I used to just make up dialects and languages since was a kid, still do for stories)

I've wanted to make my own language(s) too but I've never actually really gotten into it, mostly because I can't seem to find a dictionary that doesn't have pages worth of useless stuff that wouldn't work for me anyway X_X.

Guest OneOutOfnOne

Technically I've made up at least four 'languages' since the seventh grade or so... but what happens every time is that I create a writing system and guidelines for grammar, then by the time I get around to developing a vocabulary for it, I've either lost interest in or no longer like the language. But there's one I still have that I work on from time to time.

Guest Jeannine Bean

I grew up watching Dr. Who. Leela, Ace, Romana, Tegan, Perry, and Sarah Jane Smith were my heros from childhood on. Especially Leela and Ace.

Last few years I've built electronic synthesizers and sold some of them, kept some, scrapped some. I applied for a patent on one of my designs.

I also like to do home chemistry experiments. I was working on reproducing some of Paracelsus's work as I was leaving the U.S. and I would like to reproduce the chemistry experiments of Isaac Newton (he said "alchemy" but... whatever :-). A couple of years ago I found a neat bacteria that wants to grow in polarized light. I kept trying to find more effective ways t cultivate it as a fermentation. I also had a pipe I'd made the biggest drain clog in the world with and I was working on a new type of gelatinous alkaline drain opener.

Additionally, my friend and I were setting up a foundry (we'd rapidly gotten tired of our forge but then we discovered we could crank up the heat and melt out iron, after a rudimentary pour we decided we wanted to be able to cast lots of iron). Alas, I left the country before we were casting things of metal.

I've built fireworks before, but mostly my buddy Thomas was the master of pyrotechnics. I just like shooting them off.

And my friend Michael and I built a working scaled-down machine to make electricity from waves in the sea.

I've done lots and lots of gardening. I want to experiment with more exotic methods of plant production and I would like to reproduce the experiments of Chandra-Bose by measuring growth rates with different stimuli. I'd also really like to make glowing tobacco and other simple genetics experiments.

So yea... I'm a scientist nerd, of the pure Guerilla DIY stripe. I still hope someday the Dr. comes along and whisks me away in his Tardis.

--Jeannine

Guest Eva Jean

Alchemy and chemistry are not the same lol. Paracelsus' work is legendary, but I havent been able to get into practical alchemy.

As for lanuages, I've been making them too for years. I've found that making languages myself has given me the skills to learn languages easier as i've managed to pick up various different grammar concepts. But i too find it hard to continue with vocab building. sitting at about 650 words right now in my main language.

Ce vitas mausa mach bûla ab aunau eum = It's not very good but I like it :)

One of the goals of early Alchemy was to transmute metals - specifically to change lead into gold.

A logical approach as lead is even more dense than gold - but had they been able to accomplish this feat before too long lead would become more valuable than gold due to the limited remaining supply and the vast abundance of gold.

How does that register on the nerd/geek meter?

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Neuro

Aw man, the only alchemy I know a tiny bit about is from Hagane RenkinJustushi (Fullmetal Alchemist) =___________= I feel like such a weeaboo (nyoooooooooo~)

TH-THERE ARE SO MANY SMART PEOPLE ON HERE it is incredible really D8 D8 But I cannot grasp chemistry at alllll ffffffff I admire people who can so much, they deserve the labcoats. I only wear one because... white is my favorite colour. *shot'd*

I only write languages as what I need for basics in my series/fantasies/sci-fi; (Man TOLKIEN was a GENIUS) and then work up from the building blocks to more complex terms and poetry and mostly grouping of words and sounds. I don't think I have a dictionary full yet, though OTL hahahahaha~~

Guest Eva Jean

It probably rates pretty high lol. I don't like the idea of alchemy being purely chemical manipulation. The practical aspect was metaphorical, transmuting spiritual lead (our soul) into spiritual gold (a perfect soul in complete union with the Divine). But obviously the chemical part was the bit that caught on lol.

Guest Neuro

P.S:

"He who wishes to gain must exchange something equal in return to do so. That is the first law of Alchemy; this is Equivalent Exchange."

(At least, in the fantasy-ridden alchemy in FMA mwohoho)

I wish I could transmute my female body for a male one!!!!! D8 But that is not an 'equivalent exchange' I suppose D8 But it is true--Anything I have ever had receive I have had to exchange an equal amount of effort or funding or material to gain the equal item of my desire. If there is one thing I learned, it is that! ***IS PROBABLY TOTALLY WRONG OH MAN I SHOULD STOP TRYING TO SOUND SMART IN FRONT OF YOU PEOPLE FFFFFF FAILURE IS ME SIR***

Guest Nikk

I'm too lazy to make up my own languages yet (I know I'm going to need to make up a couple for a future series I will write), so when I really need a non-existent language I use anagrams. I do like making up my own worlds and religions and such forth and so on.

Argh, I wish I had the time to study alchemy in depth. All I know is that it's basically the mother of all science (wow, that isn't vain at all; the founder of science was borne out of man's greed and want of turning lead into gold), and... what I learned from watching Hagane no Renkinjutsushi even though it takes place in a fantasyverse.

@Jeannine - Your scientifical smartness is a little bit intimidating. I do want to learn how to make fireworks though....

Guest Eva Jean

Don't stop trying to sound smart, Neuro. You sound pretty wise to me. And you're right. You only get back what you give. Doesnt work in all cases sadly but I guess the point of that saying is in terms of effort and happiness etc lol.

Guest Zoё

Hmm.

I'm not so much of a nerd or geek on any particular subject. In anime and manga I know a bit about most series and have seen a few episodes or the whole series but not too much beyond that.

I used to be a really big pokemon fan for a few years. I used to be able to name about 250 pokemon total and that includes the original 151. I quit having much to do with it after 35- or so pokemon existed.

I've played a lot of video games but I'm not a particular expert on any one or series though I am partial to Haolo, Mario, and Resident Evil. I also play Fallout 3 but I still haven't beaten it yet.

Academically I'm pretty smart in any subject though any science is my favorite. My favorite branches of science are astronomy and physics, particularly particle physics. Ask me any question about astronomy and I can most likely answer it. For instance the Chandrasekhar Limit is what determines whether a star will form a white dwarf or go supernova and possibly form a neutron star or black hole. If the star is below 8 solar masses then it forms a white dwarf and if its above 8 solar masses then it goes supernova. I could easily teach my high school's astronomy class. It sucks that I live right in between a bunch of decent sized cities cause I can barely ever see a quarter the total number of stars in the sky.

I also like to tinker around with some old electronics and stuff that I have. I once took a solar panel and circuit board from a solar powered lamp and combined it with a battery powered fan so now I have a solar powered fan.

I can program a little bit in Java and C++ but nothing more than basic stuff. I can also use html pretty well.

Except for astronomy I'm not really that nerdy or obsessed with any one thing. Though if you count the internet I know waaaayyy to much about the internet or rather the stuff on here like torrents, 4 chan, and all the meme's and stuff.

I suppose I'm rambling on a bit now so I'll just end my post here. I have a tendency to try and include everything in one single post.

~Zoё

Guest Zabrak
I can program a little bit in Java and C++ but nothing more than basic stuff. I can also use html pretty well.

~Zoё

I'm into A++ and Web programming but I really never got into software programming(C++ stuff). It just wasn't that thrilling to me. I also find networking boring.