• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Family: my threat

Tara.S

Hello,

i’m from the MEA (Middle East) and my parents are keeping their eyes on me ever since they discovered i like guys yet they aren’t acknowledged of my will to be a transwoman. They do not trust me ever since my younger sister snitched on me for meeting romantically with guys. I feel devastated and in need to vent for writing isn’t helpful anymore.

My family is very conservative and will never support me because of my ‘sin’.

I have to act and live in fear from them. In fact, I even started despising them. I am planning on saving for therapy, HRT, and surgeries too, but not with them in the way!

Should I cut contact with them or what...?

P.S: i’m turning 21 soon and still am treated like a teenager.

• 1 month later...

I would agree with MaryMary as far as her suggestion not to cut ties with your family outright. Don't abandon them before they abandon you! What kind of pretense does that set? My family is not supportive either and are definitely still in the "mourning" stage. I'm praying that they just take the time they need to adjust to having a transgender family member by doing research and finding out that being trans and being "sinful" do not have to go hand in hand. Maybe that is too much to hope for in your case, but I stand by what I said. Just stay resolute and don't let them try to change your mind... unless their efforts to do so go beyond just using words. Only then, would I ever even consider cutting ties to my family. Stay strong chicka!