• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Any other MSWs?

Sylvia Feng

I got my MSW the end of 2019, which was before I came out to my parents and friends and started HRT, and during this time I've been unsuccessfully looking for/applying to as many positions I can find that meet my post-grad licensure requirements. I mean, the whole reason I chose an MSW over an MFT or MHC is because I wanted the other "helping" options social work offers.

While I could go on about how ridiculous it feels getting licensed to practice clinical social work is (do individual counseling without supervision), I'm just curious how other people have managed to find the work they needed to get licensed.

Thanks for your help!

• Forum Moderator

Have you tried therapists in your area to see if there is available space with them? My therapist has had to turn away patients. I figure Psychology Today listings might also help and networking via LinkedIn perhaps? You've probably tried those routes but it's the best I can come up with for you to try.

• Admin
VickySGV

Even though not an MSW, I have many friends in the Trans community who are MSW and MFT counselors.  To some degree it depends on where your are and where you are applying.  Places like California  have requirements that they must consider you if you are Trans. Thus I do know people getting the jobs.  Call your local LGBTQ Center and see if they know of Trans Accepting places you can get a job, some have clinics that do take on interns, who are snapped up by other places.  it may not be the highest paid, but it will take care of licensing requirements. Location Location Location!!  Planned Parenthood who has family counseling services and is now having clinics for Trans people, and other Service Organizations would also be possibilities where I know people are getting jobs, especially as this pandemic thing is rolling. 

rainflower

Although I have an MSW and was once an LGSW on track for LICSW, I abandoned that path. I still work at the same agency, just in a different role. I was placed at a community mental health clinic for my internship and they hired me after.

Sylvia Feng
13 hours ago, Shay said:

Have you tried therapists in your area to see if there is available space with them? My therapist has had to turn away patients. I figure Psychology Today listings might also help and networking via LinkedIn perhaps? You've probably tried those routes but it's the best I can come up with for you to try.

Networking is not my strong point, lol, but I guess I can try what you've suggested! Thanks! :)

Sylvia Feng
12 hours ago, VickySGV said:

Even though not an MSW, I have many friends in the Trans community who are MSW and MFT counselors.  To some degree it depends on where your are and where you are applying.  Places like California  have requirements that they must consider you if you are Trans. Thus I do know people getting the jobs.  Call your local LGBTQ Center and see if they know of Trans Accepting places you can get a job, some have clinics that do take on interns, who are snapped up by other places.  it may not be the highest paid, but it will take care of licensing requirements. Location Location Location!!  Planned Parenthood who has family counseling services and is now having clinics for Trans people, and other Service Organizations would also be possibilities where I know people are getting jobs, especially as this pandemic thing is rolling. 

I live in Florida, and while the licensure requirements are kind of similar to CA's, I'm not sure about the trans accomodation stuff you mentioned. I haven't reached out to the places you've mentioned like Planned Parenthood or any LGBTQ centers here, but I'll give it a try! A lot of the centers in FL that are looked for counselors aside from hospitals are for older patients and/or substance use issues. Thanks for all the suggestions though!

Sylvia Feng
12 hours ago, AwesomeClaire said:

Although I have an MSW and was once an LGSW on track for LICSW, I abandoned that path. I still work at the same agency, just in a different role. I was placed at a community mental health clinic for my internship and they hired me after.

Ah, that's great to meet another MSW and you still work for the same agency you did your internship at! I wish I'd had that opportunity (I volunteer sometimes at the place I did my internship but they aren't looking for any new hires). I kinda wish I'd stayed in SF before moving to FL in 2018 for my internship, because I worked as a peer counselor at this amazing outpatient clinic for a couple years and I'm pretty sure I could have done my internship and licensure stuff with them had I stayed...ah well, lol.

Thanks for sharing! :)

• Admin
VickySGV
5 hours ago, Sylvia Feng said:

substance use issues.

<Sad Chuckle>  I got my Gender Counseling through a Substance Abuse counselor who was working a team that had a gender counselor in it.  I had gone in for Alcohol Abuse which I was using to medicate GD away and did mention the "Damn gender problem".  We got me stabilized on the Addiction and he asked me what my next steps would be after I graduated the program.  I told him it would be GD counseling specifically and he got a big grin on his face and reminded me I had given a waiver for the other staff to see his clinic notes and a couple of recorded sessions we had made, and then showed my the review by the actual GT which put me on HRT track the minute his supervising Psychiatrist signed off.  (Both later signed my GCS letter as well)  Don't over look chemical abuse, there are a ton of things underlying it.  Check the Chemical Abuse forum, you have a bunch of us here to bounce things off if you do that way.

Sylvia Feng
5 hours ago, VickySGV said:

<Sad Chuckle>  I got my Gender Counseling through a Substance Abuse counselor who was working a team that had a gender counselor in it.  I had gone in for Alcohol Abuse which I was using to medicate GD away and did mention the "Damn gender problem".  We got me stabilized on the Addiction and he asked me what my next steps would be after I graduated the program.  I told him it would be GD counseling specifically and he got a big grin on his face and reminded me I had given a waiver for the other staff to see his clinic notes and a couple of recorded sessions we had made, and then showed my the review by the actual GT which put me on HRT track the minute his supervising Psychiatrist signed off.  (Both later signed my GCS letter as well)  Don't over look chemical abuse, there are a ton of things underlying it.  Check the Chemical Abuse forum, you have a bunch of us here to bounce things off if you do that way.

Hi Vicky, I didn't intend to minimalize how much of an impact substance use problems can have on someone's life. I've also struggled with my own alcohol use problems, and have experienced being in treatment for the challenges and complications it's caused me for a big portion of my adult life.  And I wouldn't deny that in the past I've self-medicated the "GD away" with alcohol., but everyone's journey is different, right? Anyhow, I greatly appreciate you sharing what happened with you in treatment, and how things have worked out for you!

• 2 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 90 Guests (See full list)

• Jandi
    • Rosie.
    • Shellianne_Kay83
    • Cyndee
    • Elizabeth Star
    • AG1025
    • Charlize
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

geri
    Newest Member
    geri

1. Luca
      Luca
      (25 years old)
    • Jandi
      This is possibly my favorite album still.
    • Jandi
      I don't think you're overly sensitive.   I find this kind of thing offensive myself.  But I do realize the people that post it have no concept of actually being transgender.  Of course this doesn't make it less offensive, esspecially when it's done vindictively.   I am not personally a fan of the drag scene.  But whatever.  That's probably because I don't like the idea of drawing attention to myself.     As for "crossdressing"…     It was when I finally got up the nerve to try fem clothes that I busted my egg.  But I don't consider it cross dressing.  To me it's just dressing. But I do realize there are plenty of people who are content with occasional crossdressing.  I'm not offended by that.  Sometimes it's just the situation they are in, or they may be NB.  
    • Cyndee
      For ladies only "Tenderness"   sooo sweet....    
    • Charlize
      Perhaps simply knowing i'm not alone has been as important in finding self acceptance as anything else.  My feelings about gender and how i express it have certainly changed over time.  Some of that was societal pressure while some was simply due to life's pressing needs.  For much too long i felt shame and guilt for being myself.  Acceptance, whether of a distinct straight path or a winding trail, can take away self condemnation.      My life seems to wind and vary in many ways including my gender.  I've been hyper male, quite female and perhaps today i'm a "tomboy".  Truck and tractor driving farmer who puts on a skirt to go grocery shopping.  I just enjoy being me even if that is in flux.     Hugs,   Charlize
    • MetaLicious
      @Willow, I definitely thik the dog thing is offensive.  Not only does it show blatant disrepct for transfolk, there's an unhealthy dose of fat-shaming there as well.   As for female impersonators, drag queens have a disproportionate share of gays and transwomen compared to society, and are more "like us" than you may realize.  Also, I think Ru Paul is a treasure who has shown me how beautiful a man can be feminine even without transitioning.  He gives me hope.  He also has some pretty inspirational music!
    • Teri Anne
      Everyone is looking wonderful in the recent pics.
    • Jandi
      Sounds like a wise man. I'm sorry for you and your family.   It's never easy, even when you are expecting it.
    • Delcina B
      Solly, I'm glad you found the forum. I've found it to be a wonderful place full of caring people who share their experience, give advice & support, & accept me just as I am. I think you will find it so as well. This gender journey isn't a race, so you can take all the time you need, relax & breathe. Where we fit on the gender spectrum is where we find we feel comfortable, some are fluid & don't fix themselves with a specific label. It's all up to you.   Welcome! Delcina
    • Shay
      @Willow those are legitimate gripes and I concur. Wish people would respect others differences and not try to find humor where it's not.
    • Willow
      Good morning everyone.  Rain predicted for here in the top of Virginia today and tomorrow.   I have a question for ya’ll.  I get offended by some things which I feel are taking a shot at us.  For example, a joke on Facebook showed a fat dog and the caption was “I identify as trans slim”.  Or I don’t like female impersonators.  They are nothing like us yet they were allowed to advertise their show on on a transgender only secret website.  Am I overly sensitive?  Is it wrong to feel these sorts of things are offensive to me?  Let me know what you think.   @Elizabeth Star I was a Jack! Now Jill of all trades.  Made furniture, repaired the house and car, replaced a roof, you name it ive probably done it.  But I’m getting older and muscle mass is lessened.  My last project was definitely not up to my standard so I’m done.  Giving my stationery power tools to my son.  Gave away or sold a lot of stuff during our move out.  And will likely have more to deal with after we move in to our new place.  And my eyesight, very frustrating and upsetting when I can’t see clearly.  Nothing is ever at the correct focal distance.     let me know if I’m being overly sensitive with things I think are slaps at us.   Willow  
    • Shay
      @Elizabeth Star now that you have experience how about doing my and Cyndee's doors ?
    • Elizabeth Star
      I would be so mad if I broke a nail working on this stuff. I could hire someone to do the work but since I know what's involved I have trouble trusting other people's quality.
    • TiredAndScared
      Thank you all of course. I will get over it.  It's just that it's still a pain when it happens. That sounds kinda heartless but well....   to be brutally  honest.... that wasn't my dad anymore the last few years. It's his body of course.  But not him.. It was that, with every visit, he was a little bit more gone... So we already kinda said goodbye to him during the last 5 years or so. He could't recognize anyone anymore and couldn't do anything anymore..  For him it's sort of a good thing i guess....  He wouldn't want to be kept alive like this... Most things are already arranged by now... Cards have been picked and texts have been chosen. Dad is brought home in a coffin and ... what is the English term?...  laid out? (that sounds weird google translate) Just he's now presentable for anyone who wants to say goodbye. But it will be a week before he will get cremated. Mom still has her ankle operation going on tomorrow. So i have to get up early to bring her to the hospital.   Today i remembered something my dad thought me while i was a kid... Forgotten it for the longest time but .... He once told me:   "i don't care what you do with your life, be a president or a garbage collector. Just be happy with what you do" Not sure how old i was... somewhere between 10~12 years or something? I should keep that teaching in my life...  I know he mend it for my work career but i should apply it to my whole life...   Anyways,  for now i'm going to chill a bit. Woke up at 04am and with everything that happend i got a bit tired. 
    • Kris-Boston
      Just a link.  But being informed is best and real sources .  Its not an easy read ,for most . I was a  science major .   nejm.org   The New England Journal of Medicine: Research & Review Articles on Disease & Clinical Practice (nejm.org)
    • Bri2020
      Liz you're a jill of all trades it seems! I'm done with that kinda stuff.  I know how to fix most things, but I started pawning tht out to contractors about 7 years ago.  I used my back issues as the excuse but in reality, I just don't want to do all the "fix it up" stuff anymore. (especially after a manicure haha).  I think people have also started changing their expectations of me as well.  People use to come to me for help with all the "manly trades" but no one in the last year has except to borrow a tool or something.  My neighbor didn't even ask for my help building his deck (I've built 20 by now) even though I offered to help back before my transition.  We used to help each other with things like that. It's not like he isn't comfortable with my transition, he and his wife have been amazingly supportive and his Oklahoma courtesies of "Yes Ma'am" never fail to tickle me but he is definitely not going to ask a woman for help with carpentry. haha I find myself slipping into my feminine stereotypes more and more and I like it . 
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.