Jump to content
  • Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

    We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Any other MSWs?


Sylvia Feng

Recommended Posts

I got my MSW the end of 2019, which was before I came out to my parents and friends and started HRT, and during this time I've been unsuccessfully looking for/applying to as many positions I can find that meet my post-grad licensure requirements. I mean, the whole reason I chose an MSW over an MFT or MHC is because I wanted the other "helping" options social work offers.

 

While I could go on about how ridiculous it feels getting licensed to practice clinical social work is (do individual counseling without supervision), I'm just curious how other people have managed to find the work they needed to get licensed.

 

Thanks for your help!

Link to comment
  • Forum Moderator

Have you tried therapists in your area to see if there is available space with them? My therapist has had to turn away patients. I figure Psychology Today listings might also help and networking via LinkedIn perhaps? You've probably tried those routes but it's the best I can come up with for you to try.

Link to comment
  • Admin

Even though not an MSW, I have many friends in the Trans community who are MSW and MFT counselors.  To some degree it depends on where your are and where you are applying.  Places like California  have requirements that they must consider you if you are Trans. Thus I do know people getting the jobs.  Call your local LGBTQ Center and see if they know of Trans Accepting places you can get a job, some have clinics that do take on interns, who are snapped up by other places.  it may not be the highest paid, but it will take care of licensing requirements. Location Location Location!!  Planned Parenthood who has family counseling services and is now having clinics for Trans people, and other Service Organizations would also be possibilities where I know people are getting jobs, especially as this pandemic thing is rolling. 

Link to comment

Although I have an MSW and was once an LGSW on track for LICSW, I abandoned that path. I still work at the same agency, just in a different role. I was placed at a community mental health clinic for my internship and they hired me after.

Link to comment
13 hours ago, Shay said:

Have you tried therapists in your area to see if there is available space with them? My therapist has had to turn away patients. I figure Psychology Today listings might also help and networking via LinkedIn perhaps? You've probably tried those routes but it's the best I can come up with for you to try.

Networking is not my strong point, lol, but I guess I can try what you've suggested! Thanks! :)

Link to comment
12 hours ago, VickySGV said:

Even though not an MSW, I have many friends in the Trans community who are MSW and MFT counselors.  To some degree it depends on where your are and where you are applying.  Places like California  have requirements that they must consider you if you are Trans. Thus I do know people getting the jobs.  Call your local LGBTQ Center and see if they know of Trans Accepting places you can get a job, some have clinics that do take on interns, who are snapped up by other places.  it may not be the highest paid, but it will take care of licensing requirements. Location Location Location!!  Planned Parenthood who has family counseling services and is now having clinics for Trans people, and other Service Organizations would also be possibilities where I know people are getting jobs, especially as this pandemic thing is rolling. 

I live in Florida, and while the licensure requirements are kind of similar to CA's, I'm not sure about the trans accomodation stuff you mentioned. I haven't reached out to the places you've mentioned like Planned Parenthood or any LGBTQ centers here, but I'll give it a try! A lot of the centers in FL that are looked for counselors aside from hospitals are for older patients and/or substance use issues. Thanks for all the suggestions though!

Link to comment
12 hours ago, AwesomeClaire said:

Although I have an MSW and was once an LGSW on track for LICSW, I abandoned that path. I still work at the same agency, just in a different role. I was placed at a community mental health clinic for my internship and they hired me after.

Ah, that's great to meet another MSW and you still work for the same agency you did your internship at! I wish I'd had that opportunity (I volunteer sometimes at the place I did my internship but they aren't looking for any new hires). I kinda wish I'd stayed in SF before moving to FL in 2018 for my internship, because I worked as a peer counselor at this amazing outpatient clinic for a couple years and I'm pretty sure I could have done my internship and licensure stuff with them had I stayed...ah well, lol.

 

Thanks for sharing! :)

Link to comment
  • Admin
5 hours ago, Sylvia Feng said:

substance use issues.

 

<Sad Chuckle>  I got my Gender Counseling through a Substance Abuse counselor who was working a team that had a gender counselor in it.  I had gone in for Alcohol Abuse which I was using to medicate GD away and did mention the "Damn gender problem".  We got me stabilized on the Addiction and he asked me what my next steps would be after I graduated the program.  I told him it would be GD counseling specifically and he got a big grin on his face and reminded me I had given a waiver for the other staff to see his clinic notes and a couple of recorded sessions we had made, and then showed my the review by the actual GT which put me on HRT track the minute his supervising Psychiatrist signed off.  (Both later signed my GCS letter as well)  Don't over look chemical abuse, there are a ton of things underlying it.  Check the Chemical Abuse forum, you have a bunch of us here to bounce things off if you do that way.

Link to comment
5 hours ago, VickySGV said:

 

<Sad Chuckle>  I got my Gender Counseling through a Substance Abuse counselor who was working a team that had a gender counselor in it.  I had gone in for Alcohol Abuse which I was using to medicate GD away and did mention the "Damn gender problem".  We got me stabilized on the Addiction and he asked me what my next steps would be after I graduated the program.  I told him it would be GD counseling specifically and he got a big grin on his face and reminded me I had given a waiver for the other staff to see his clinic notes and a couple of recorded sessions we had made, and then showed my the review by the actual GT which put me on HRT track the minute his supervising Psychiatrist signed off.  (Both later signed my GCS letter as well)  Don't over look chemical abuse, there are a ton of things underlying it.  Check the Chemical Abuse forum, you have a bunch of us here to bounce things off if you do that way.

Hi Vicky, I didn't intend to minimalize how much of an impact substance use problems can have on someone's life. I've also struggled with my own alcohol use problems, and have experienced being in treatment for the challenges and complications it's caused me for a big portion of my adult life.  And I wouldn't deny that in the past I've self-medicated the "GD away" with alcohol., but everyone's journey is different, right? Anyhow, I greatly appreciate you sharing what happened with you in treatment, and how things have worked out for you!

Link to comment
  • 2 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 56 Guests (See full list)

    • KymmieL
    • Teejay
    • VickySGV
    • Silencedelta
    • miz miranda
    • DeeDee
    • Jamie73
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      76.4k
    • Total Posts
      717.1k
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      9,493
    • Most Online
      8,356

    ironic
    Newest Member
    ironic
    Joined
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. BEAN_CHILD
      BEAN_CHILD
    2. Chrystopher
      Chrystopher
      (26 years old)
    3. Chuckey
      Chuckey
      (61 years old)
    4. Elias
      Elias
    5. Joni
      Joni
      (62 years old)
  • Posts

    • VickySGV
      Welcome to the Forums, it does not matter how you found us, you are here, and we hope we can help you, and maybe you can help others too.
    • Mmindy
      Good afternoon Kira,  Welcome to TransPulseForums, as others have said. Take your time and see where life takes you.   Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • Mmindy
      Good afternoon and welcome to TransPulseForums Monica.    Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • AnnorahGrace
      Hey there I go by Annorah Grace. I'll try not to ramble as I'm oft prone to 😅 . I am heavily questioning leaning more towards the trans side. I guess that's the best way to put it. I mean I do "feel best" when I'm dressed up in my alter, as I like to call her but less and less when I'm Annorah the more and more I feel she is who I should have been for so long now. Alas.   I didn't find this place as my therapist found it for me after I asked. It seems like a lovely place so far as I've lurked since Monday. As i'm questioning the only people that are aware are a very limited few. I guess what I'm looking for is community and people to feel safe around and ask questions and learn more about being trans and transitioning and all the fun and scary stuff. Well, it's all scary right now if I'm being honest.   I hope to make a small home here.   Cheers, Annorah G
    • Davie
      Too Sweet for Dessert: Emily Elbert - What's Going On (Marvin Gaye cover)
    • Carolyn Marie
      Welcome to Trans Pulse, Kira.  You can take things as slow as you want, and no one here will rush you.  We are pretty good and talking things out, answering questions, and giving support.  I will say, especially for us older folk, that passing is often a lot easier than we expected, and even when we don't pass, it usually doesn't mean that it becomes an ordeal.  When life gives you tomatoes, then make tomato soup!   HUGS   Carolyn Marie
    • Heather Shay
      Welcome @Silencedelta. I'm glad you are here and thank you for being brave to tell your story. You are safe here with a lot of wonderfully supportive and knowledgeable people who can honestly answer your questions in a truthful and loving way.
    • Tellington
      Welcome! I'm happy you have a supportive girlfriend!
    • Astrid
      Hi @Silencedelta!  I'm glad you're you're not forcing any particular label or gender identity at this point. Finding what makes you happiest is more important. Please do ask any questions and share whatever you are comfortable with, when you want and are ready. We have many folks here who have been in similar situations, and we strive to support each other.   Best wishes as you discern your journey forward,    Astrid 
    • Cortomaltese
      Anything formal, anything tight.
    • Carolyn Marie
      Nat, my only additional suggestion is to Google "LGBT resources in (your city or county name).  Also, if there is a college or university in your area, they might have resources, too.   Carolyn Marie
    • Jandi
    • Silencedelta
      Hi everyone I guess I am trans but every day is different sometimes I am not sure if that 100% fits me but it's just a lable for simplicitys sake. I have all kinds of issues to talk about I will post on later but I I was approved a while ago for HRT but I have to get re approved as it's been a decade I came out in college but kinda went back in after because I live in an area where I don't feel I will be accepted because I don't think I can physically ever pass and I am too scared to try. But I want to start living the way I want to but I just wanted some people to talk to while I try to figure it all out. Kira    
    • Natnewgirl
      Thanks for the welcome, and the link. I looked through it , looks like there is very little in my area. HRT is worth a long drive to me but was hoping to find somewhere closer, maybe even a local support group. 
    • Jandi
      Well, I keep thinking about a nose ring - and I'm in my 70's.  Oh well. It's easy to ridicule someone without ever actually addressing the issues.   Seriously, beginning any kind of medical transition should not be done lightly.  But that hardly means it should be outlawed across the board.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.
×
×
  • Create New...