• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Practicing My New Voice On The Phone

Guest Virginia_

Guest nymphblossom

I've been working on my voice for about 3 1/2 months with the Deep Stealth exercises and just got up the courage to start practicing with people on the phone last week. Random calls to restaurants, business and theaters asking for reservation information, checking to see if they have a product I'm looking for and checking on movie times and schedules. Just starting out, it's a fantastic way to get real life practice.

I was scared to death on the first call. After a sentence, I cleared my throat and retreated to the safety of my guy voice. The only good thing was I knew it was never going to be that hard ever again.

I made a few calls a couple days later and it didn't go to bad. I'm not sure whether the people I spoke to thought I was a guy or a girl, but at least I was able to get myself to carry out the whole conversations with my new voice. I was off today and made a couple more calls. I'm still floating; two of the guys I spoke to actually called me Maaam :)

I've been using my voice recorder so I can play back the conversations to see how I'm doing. My therapist offered to me a nonjudgmental listener whenever I wanted. I'm going to try to make a call a day so I will be ready to actually talk to someone face to face when I see her in three weeks.

I'm absolutely amazed at how quickly I am gaining confidence in my new voice. A week ago I was petrified and now it's fun. Being recognized as a female, even if it's only by my voice to a stranger on the phone is an amazing feeling!

I have attached a short sample from one of phone calls. I think I sound kind of husky, but being 5 foot 11 and 48 years old, I think it kind of suits me. At least it's a voice I can repeat and I'm comfortable with. So, be honest but gentle. What do you all think?

Blossom

Guest Donna Jean

Oh my!

That wasn't what I expected at ALL!

Husky????

Lol...that was GREAT!..If I talked to you on the phone I'd have to say female for certain!

BRAVO! Sweetheart! BRAVO!

LOVE

Donna Jean

Guest CharlieRose

Honestly?

You don't sound male AT ALL. A little... interesting sounding, but in a way that I think would go away with practice, and still completely female.

Guest nymphblossom

Donna Jean & CharlieRose, thank you so much for your kind words and taking the time to listen! CharlieRose, I think what you described as "interesting sounding" is what I called "husky." (scrunching my nose) It sounds kind of nasally to me. Maybe it's the beginning of my southern bell accent :) I hope it softens as I start to use my voice in real life instead of singing and saying the Deep Stealth Ayah's & GeeGoo's and The Rainbow Passage over and over. I guess as long as I don't sound like Rocky or Mickey Mouse, I'm making progress.

It's all so scary now that I am starting to dip my toe in the water and am beginning to put myself out there. I think what I have read about transition being like becoming an adolescent all over again is so true. On top of a the fears that go along with being a transsexual, there is the whole struggle of finding your identity that goes along with starting our lives as women just like if we were a teenager girl. It's all so overwhelming but thrilling!

Blossom

Guest Donna Jean
It's all so scary now that I am starting to dip my toe in the water and am beginning to put myself out there. I think what I have read about transition being like becoming an adolescent all over again is so true. On top of a the fears that go along with being a transsexual, there is the whole struggle of finding your identity that goes along with starting our lives as women just like if we were a teenager girl. It's all so overwhelming but thrilling!

Blossom[/color][/b]

Keep dipping that toe, Sweetheart....It IS like being a 14 year old girl...my wife tells me that all of the time! You are doing wonderful with the voice...keep that up!

And all of the rest...well...there's lots to do....right? Are you on HRT yet?

You have a wonderful start...the voice will take you far!

****BIGG HUGGS****

Donna Jean

It is sounding very good.

You are making great progress.

Enjoy each new step.

Love ya,

Sally

It's definitely a female voice. I can't give a lot of advice, or critique or give any real constructive criticism, because like you said, you think that voice fits you and it definitely does sound female- however it's not in the same direction sound-wise as I'm going (or trying to go) so I guess I'd be kind of like an orange-taster trying to judge an apple recipe. Both awesome fruits, just different kinds.

But like I said, it definitely does sound female and there is almost no trace of male in it at all- it probably needs some practice and refinement but as I said it's not the same sound I'm personally going for so I don't know how much or how little work it needs.

Sounds amazingly female so far- so keep it up! You're definitely on your way to having an amazing full-time female voice!

愛 Eth

Guest nymphblossom

Thank you, Donna Jean. I know that having a good voice is very important to being accepted as a woman and I have been working very hard on mine. It's an easy thing to do to within the limits of my guy mode. Finding time to practice my makeup is alot harder :)

I have been in therapy for just under two months. My therapist is treating me tenderly as I have been in such deep denial about my transsexuality. First she wanted me to come out to my wife before I started. I did that about a month ago. At my visit last week, my therapist said the decision to start HRT would be mine, she would just tell me if I wasn't ready. She said she would like my wife to attend a session before I do. I am ready to begin HRT, and my wife supports me. I've waited 48 years to get to this point, but I'm all for taking a few months to follow proper medical protocol with something as life altering and potentially dangerous as hormones.

Blossom

Guest nymphblossom

Sally, Eth, LightNebula, thank you so much for your encouragement!

Can anyone help me put a finger on how I sound? An actress or celebrity? Not that I am trying to copy anyone, but it just might be easier for me to figure out what I am doing if I heard it in someone else's voice. Do I sound too young (I am 48)?

Blossom

Guest Guardian

First of all, let me start by saying your voice is pretty amazing! :). How it sounds is great, and you like it (right?), too. Getting that voice is so wonderful... because you can hear yourself :).

,,, In your sample, though, you "uh" 'd a lot. I think it sounds more feminine to "um" rather than "uh". It may also be more feminine to "mm"... People also sound more feminine when they talk with more enthusiasm, and body (e.g. stereotypical gays, and teenage girls :P).

Friendly pointers... ^_^.

Wishing you easy nights, and peaceful days,

Jessica

You sound female to me, but like Charlie said, there's something 'interesting sounding' in it. I wouldn't classify it the interesting quality as male though. Are you trying hard to speak like that or is that more natural to you? If you're working very hard to sound like that, the 'interesting sounding' quality could be from the strain/tension in your voice from kind of forcing it like.

To be honest, it was difficult for me to understand what you were saying, but the voice sounded female.

Guest nymphblossom

Thank you for the feedback Pól! I spent the whole afternoon looking at frequency and spectrograph curves and think I may have figured out what's going on. The Deep Stealth exercises worked too well helping me learn to shift the position of my soft pallet. I've got a little more of pinched quality to my voice that gives it that nasally sound. I guess I have a little relearning to do :)

Blossom

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nymphblossom

Thank you, Sarah, you are so sweet. Please know that you and your Mom are in my thoughts and prayers today.

Blossom

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nymphblossom

Misa, Zabrak, you guys are are so good for my confidence :) Thank you for taking the time to listen and post!

Blossom

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 123 Guests (See full list)

• Lydia_R
    • Susie
    • FelixThePickleMan
    • Betty K
    • VickySGV