• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

DIRE Digestive Problems - Could this be related to HRT (MTF) hormones???

swallow

Hi All,

I've been an on and off nervous wreck recently.🥺

Have been having bouts of Anxiety Attacks. The cause is my dysfunctional digestive system.

It seems to me (maybe coincidence maybe age maybe not), my digestion takes a LONG time to process.🙄

I've been trying to eat less at night (prob a good thing anyway) bc the food ambles down so slowly. And if I have a micro gas bubble or two, it can be doubly irritating and sometimes painful.

It gets me all angsy about (TMI) moving the bowels to clear my insides and on not too infrequent occasions, I have spouts of episodes where I feel bloated (lower abdomen) and can't sleep....even if so sleepy🥱

I go to bed and wake up thinking I have had a good solid 6 or 7 hours but when I check the clock its only an hour past midnight (my normal bedtime). Then I stay awake all night, pacing around the house (fortunately my son is a heavy enough sleeper), or doing exercises/yoga, or simply trying to calm myself down as I suddenly panic and feel shortness of breath.😩

Could it be the effect of hormones/HRT?

I've mentioned this to my doctor but she felt it was unlikely an issue as the hormones bc the Estrodial and blocker would affect my Liver or Kidney (can't remember which) more likely.

Still she told me to watch my intake of food and take note of perhaps some which I may have develop less tolerance for.

I've bought a panoply of (organic) supplements/remedies to ensure better movement. The kind gentleman at the Organic supplement shop here in LA recommended Physium Husk which works as my last resort if I have to move things if anything to quell the anxiety (I give it 3 days if nothing moves, I'm on this)

Also some Papaya concentrate supplement was recommended for Anti bloating after meals and I also went for a "Parasite Cleanse" even though my doc is pretty certain I'm not suffering from an imaginary meter long tape worm.😬

The anxiety is particularly acute since my spouse had passed away from Gasto-Intestinal Cancer so psychologically, all the fear and bad memories just come back and some nights, I fear going to bed.😓

My sister mentioned it could be psychological since our stomaches/gut is supposedly also connected to our brains...

This last episode was particularly galling since I had 3 weeks of absolutely well behaved digestion that I almost forgot about the gut.😌

Then last weekend, I did have too much Indonesian Curry but thought I had moved that on anyway before my sister breezed into town and we shared a day of (relative) gluttony with Korean hand cut noodle Clam Soup and a high end Peruvian/Japanese fare for dinner.😋

The night she left, I was hit by the attack again.😵

Anyway I ask this question bc my most recent bout (Two nights ago) got me researching on the possibility of a co-relation between the hormone regime and this digestion troubles.

Someone recently asked me coming into my tenth month on Hormones what changes I have experienced like say Mood Swings.

Mostly I've always looked on the feminine side so physically, I'm looking lighter maybe (plus something in a pair sticking out slightly on my chest, but to most people familiar with me, I haven't change so much( at least I think they don't think there is since they don't seem to remark on it). The thing that I told them I feel the most change (bother) physically is this digestion issue.

I just when to see a friend (cis-gender female) today for a chat over lunch.

She had mentioned a couple of weeks back that she was having digestion problem and I recommended the Physium Husk for her constipation which she was very happy had desired effect.

But I realise as well, she hasn't been the only Cis-Gender female friend telling me about their digestive problems... so I did some searches on the internet and it seems this is a common cause for complain for women. Apparently women's digestion is way more sensitive than men. Many of the (complains) symptoms listed seem to correspond to my recent experience - slow digestion, bloating/gas bubbles, feeling of constipation and anxiety.🤯

My friend (who is a scientist) felt there could be a correlation.

I told her how would that be though since my internal plumbing surely is still "male" (apparently women have relatively longer colons)😒

I've been so perplexed by this issue, I've been trying to narrow down potential issues from types of food (I did have fried food the night of my attack.... fish and chips) to what I wear (I do perhaps tie my belt around my waist slightly tight so I've been loosening it) to my posture and the position I drive with (My friends have complained I drive like a Grandma seated forward even though my actual driving is professionally competent...I did work with a stunt team on odd occasion)

Has anyone-else had issues with digestion when on hormones???

I mean as my doctor said it could be a whole host of things from aging to too much spice to insufficient activity...

I tend to be a very active (almost ADD) person (which was why the film set suited me). I never stop on set and move around a lot doing one thing to the next. I can't sit in an office....I'll be up to no good.🤭

Usually I run twice a week which doesn't seem so much but as I mentioned to my friends before, at my age, I have to balance fitness with preservation. My sister felt I'm not as active as before which could be a reason plus maybe my mind isn't preoccupied on things so I am over processing on my gut...when I was away in Asia recently, I walked a lot (bc they had decent public transport unlike LA) and my digestion was working like a dream but it was also extremely humid.

LA is just a bad city for walking and we normally strap the car on to go places. But I've never had this issue before so I can't do the usual blame the City...

So I try to supplement this with walks after dinner. I walk very fast since its dark out and recently I turned a corner, a weird heavy set man said "Well hello Cutey". Fortunately there are people walking their dogs since its an apartment neighbourhood 😐

But my fear of these episodes needs better control (sorry if I'm going on a bit)🥺

If being female encompasses this unwanted experience, oh well as a friend of mine remarked, "you've signed up for it". At least I won't be feeling the effects of Period/mood swings and menopause. But goodness.🥴

First thing I would do is go to your GI and see if you have IBS or UC. The remedy taking meds that work, Is they can cause serious side effects like getting infections easier. You need to have regular labs to check for other issues in taking these classes. And to top it all you could wind up with some serious side effects. 

Also check all herbal and natura; products. Some can interfere with meds you might already be taking. Physium Husk it is just corn parts that gets trash unless you like makin soups and stews you can keep them and veggie throw away. Boil between them between, a half an hour to an hour and putting threw a strainer you end up with veggie broth. Adding a bay leaf and some crushed garlic makes it more savory, which can be added to. You can really add other in the beginning. If you like pepper you can give it some ground pepper. Some add salt. I do not. I like to add it as I cook whatever I am making. Freshly minced ginger will jazz things up.

I used to eat air popped popcorn 3 bowls worth. It was for my type 2 diabetes. 

I hope you find some relief soon. Gut problems can be a pain in the gut and bowels

• Admin

I would be in much more frequent contact with your doctor about this.  Your doctor hit the real problems with HRT, which are BOTH Liver and Kidney issues in a VERY LIMITED number of people.  Both of those organs could affect your digestive process but the doctor would have to do adequate testing to discover the actual effects happening to you.  It would also be advisable to speak to a Therapist about the issue of it being stress related, and finding the root of that stress.  Our brains are in control of our inner organs much more than we often suspect.   You can, as suggested above, keep a food diary of what you normally eat in a day and what if any digestive problems occurred, or even what good things happened.  It will help your memory and give your medical team a timeline for them to assess your symptoms. 

We DO NOT DISCUSS OTC "herbal food supplements" on these forums (Rules 12,13,14)  as our members from long ago have found to be ineffective at the good end, and harmful in the long run.  Our primary concern of course is herbal HRT which actually ended up with the founder of this site having extremely serious effects that damaged her heart and other organs.   Part of one of the rules says "what may be best for you could kill someone else.

• Forum Moderator

I used to have similar problems.  They pre-dated my HRT, so I never suspected that as the cause.  I identified the quantity and quality of food as culprits.

I avoid second helpings at mealtimes.  Yes, it can seem insulting to the cook to not go back for seconds, but I am not going to inflict pain on myself just to be nice.

I also discovered a link between constipation / bloating and foods that are mostly white flour and fat: biscuits and dumplings, for example.  I can eat them in small quantities, but I can't have a meal where those are the main ingredients.

Now I make sure I get plenty of fibre in my diet.  I eat oatmeal for breakfast and have for years, but it is not enough.  I need fibre in the main meal, too.

And, after a hospital stay where I was on antibiotics for three weeks, I took a probiotic supplement for several months, to re-boot my gut.  Things are working much better now.

Is it cyclic or random? It is my understanding on HRT we can get monthly cycles. My first started last week with mood swings & cramps.

Hi thanks for the responses.

@Stephaniegurl - Yes I'm "in line" for a GI visit. Unfortunately I had to switch my insurance which was great for HRT/Gender care, less so Gasto...the clinic recommended far from ideal (reminds me of Dr Nick in the Simpsons...that sort of thing). 😟

I found another that takes my insurance but its further from home which is fine except they have a 4 months wait and that's just for Telehealth interview. I told them by the time I see the Telehealth, he/she will prob suggest I book an in person which I will be told is another 4 months...by which time I would be in ER....somewhat dramatic but that's 8 months wait (and they are a big clinic with over 8 doctors)!🙄

I shan't mention my Physium Husk recipe...since it may contravene some rules here...suffice to say though I've made it into a rather nice dessert with some honey and Flax Seeds. Stumbled on it whilst making it more "palatable" for my friend. 😄

(Disclaimer - Don't nobody pay heed to this...I'm not recommending it as any treatment except as a tasty snack)

@VickySGV - My doctor is so nice. Unfortunately she left the practice recently.😰

I have a new doctor which I am just developing a rapport. She seems to concur that my blood work levels all look great, I'm within female range and ticking away healthy as an ox and no parasites.😌

I'm drinking more water as upon advise which is good for the skin anyway (Supermodel regime) and supposedly I need it to flush out those hardworking organs plus draw water for better waste disposal...TMI.

I've also resorted to drinking some Masala Indian Tea (with Ginger) which apparently helps with "wind". 🤭

Oddly, my phone when I hook it up to the car now suddenly plays an uninvited but science based/educational Podcast about Wind (The atmospheric kind)...phone I suspect is spying on me.🤫

@kathylauren - Yes I am cutting down on meal at night. Trying to avoid starchy stuff maybe (carbs).

I'm trying to be more careful as mentioned by others taking a note of what I eat. Was also thinking if I have a gluten problem but I love my bread...mostly I try to get "Artisanal" since my cousin who worked for SAFEWAYS warned me that they apparently put "footpowder" in the non specialty store bread. 😝

@Delcina - It seems so random bc I had 3 weeks of perfect digestion and suddenly it came back.😧

I might follow Vicky's advise and seek some counsel with the Therapist since this fear of going to sleep and subsequent Anxiety attack (Breathing attack) could also be psychological partly.

The tightness seems mostly in lower abdomen. I sit to take a poop but have to deep breathe and calm myself...its so hard to relax. I find some singing helps which of course I get a knock from my son to find out "if I am OK or gone mental"😅

Its almost a throw back to  when I was really young (toddler), and I still remember I had a hard time going to the bathroom and my mom was extremely anxious cos she felt it was her fault.

She told me later we had stopped in a third world transit bathroom or some restaraunt with an open drain for a toilet maybe and the facility was absolutely filthy and she thought she may have psychologically damaged me. But that's a long time ago and I got over it. 🤔

Currently I am heading out for an evening walk whilst the sun is still out. Hopefully it will tire me if not move things around. At least I will get some other health benefit. Perhaps I need to find a (good looking) walking partner.🙂

I think mainly you should find a way to relax and calm yourself. From the length of your post and the various directions of topics, you obviously have a lot going on in your head. The gut is the same way, it doesn't work effeciently under stress. 

Things like getting enough rest, hydration, high fiber and not too much rich or processed foods. Take deep breaths.

Spiro, I was told lends to constipation and found my tract slower. I drink water and do more fresh veggies. I just started probiotics. I also feel my tissues are more sensitive and less "rugged". My system is fairly sensitive too, and I think it may get too acidic and I always was drinking Kaopectin as a kid. But I had a colon defect, too.

I don't do as much caffeine or any alcohol and try to steer clear of processed food....a lot of it isn't even food IMO.

Some of it may be just the body adapting to change. I feel like I should treat it with extra care these first few years of HRT.

Actually just read a comment somewhere regarding autistic folk and gut problems/bloating and took note of the parallels between them and us.

The very basic fact is when I get up in the morning my gut is calm and flat and as the day progresses it gets rigid and bloaty and I pretty much attribute it to stress.

Hi Stvee,

Many thanks for input.

All this helps to hear.

Yah when I get nervous, I am scattered all over the place ADD...my mind is running at 180mph...😵

I went for a well intended long walk yesterday near the beach which turned into a run bc I still felt tight. Needless to say I ended up quite fatigues and a mild "almost headache" which could be dehydration or loss of salts maybe but it woke me up at 430am to take a dump (ungodly hour!) and felt much better after.😅

The "knot" is gone.

Yet I didn't think it was constipation ever bc I was still going to the bathroom every day...so who knows?

My problem of course is the moment I'm better, its back to bad habits...I don't eat without care but I can't help myself sometimes with spice and other more challenging food.🙄

I'm giving it more caution and have stock up on the Iranian mint yogurt, fruits etc.

I fully agree it does feel like my body is as you say "adapting". I asked my doctor previously if my insides could have been maybe displaced bc of change in shape but she did mention those are superficial to do with my external fat rather than any structural changes deeper.

Because my partner passed from a stomach cancer, all this of course triggers a whole range of emotions and the fear just culminates if I'm having one of those rough nights.😔

It feels so quiet and lonely.

Just knowing others also deal with such issues kinda makes it less so bc I tend to over imagine things otherwise.😌

• 4 weeks later...

Experts say that physical activity, a healthy diet, regular sleep, and relaxation exercises may all help reduce anxiety. Joining a support group may also help. To manage symptoms effectively, it's best to avoid caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine.

Personally me, I use massage chair everyday when I back for after work. The Mayo Clinic reports a 60-minute massage can lower cortisol, the stress hormone, by up to 30 percent after just one session. A study published in the journal Depression and Anxiety found participants who received regular massage therapy for 12 weeks had a 50 percent reduction in anxiety symptoms.