• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Barbie

KathyLauren

• Forum Moderator

My wife and I dressed in pink and went to see Barbie.  I'm glad I did.  It didn't interest me when I first heard about it, but I figured that anything that gets the far right into conniptions has to be good.  We were not disappointed.  It is a good movie about serious stuff, while looking kitschy and being a lot of fun.  It had me when I found that the opening scene was a long, sustained quote from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

• Forum Moderator

Sounds like a fun film to see, especially when all in pink.

Hugs,

Charlize

11 hours ago, KathyLauren said:

It had me when I found that the opening scene was a long, sustained quote from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I laughed just at the first few shots of the movie, thinking how it looked just like the shots in 2001, then saw an interview with Gerwig when she said they used the same backgrounds from 2001. She said there were a few Kubrick references, the second they talked about was the boardroom set which resembled the look of Dr Strangelove, then the interview shifted topics before she could mention any others. 

• Forum Moderator
Just now, RhondaS said:

the second they talked about was the boardroom set which resembled the look of Dr Strangelove

Oh, yes!  I totally missed that at the time, but now that you mention it, yes, that was exactly what it looked like.

My wife and I finally got around to see Barbie yesterday. No, we weren't glammed up.

I thought it was a pretty good film actually. Yes, the 2001 reference, and *spoiler alert* the way the girls playing with their baby dolls reacted when Barbie appeared was hilarious! Weird Barbie was hoot, too.

On 8/21/2023 at 10:55 AM, KathyLauren said:

It is a good movie about serious stuff, while looking kitschy and being a lot of fun. 

Nailed it.

I saw it by myself this weekend and loved it. It's equal parts hilarious, visually beautiful, and philosophical. 

I haven't seen it yet so I'll probably just wait till Redbox or maybe just buy it. I have read good things about it.