• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

what is the definition of intersex?

Makiducky

i want to learn more about this(mainly cause I think I might just be this) and most people have the concepts wrong, but I don't know if I count, my pretransition self was kinda standard, I had estrogen, periods, and afab genitalia, no beard all the package.  the problem here is that I did had an operation due to what doctors precieved as a malfromation, I don't have labia menora, and the labia majora was closed  when I was born. what does this mean?? note that I'm trans but have since transitioned to male(haven't had bottom surgery ) and I need to know for bottom surgery. also my pronouns are he/they and I'm gender faun.

• Admin

None of us here on staff are medical experts and what you describe would take expert medical examination to give you a definitive answer. Some cis girls are born with a condition called Vaginal Agenesis where they do have uterus and ovaries, but the vagina is missing to connect it to the outside the body.  My mother was a Registered Nurse who let me read her Nursing School text books where I picked that up. Today it is known as a DSD (Differences of Sexual Development) which is a term for Intersex.  This condition is close to what you describe, but you need to ask your medical provider for the real diagnosis there.  As to what or how it could contribute to Gender Dysphoria, I have no idea.

Hi & welcome to the forums @Makiducky.

There's a condition called labial fusion or labial adhesion where the labia minora or majora are fused together. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK470461/

From what I briefly read, such a condition may or may not be construed as ambiguous genitalia. 

There's also a congenital condition called urogenital sinus (US) where the urethra and vaginal opening are malformed or fused, and this condition is sometimes concurrent with labial fusion. Apparently some cases of US are considered intersex conditions - it depends on how stuff is formed or fused.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10242390/

At any rate, like Vicky said, only a medical professional can truly ascertain your situation. Are you able to find out from your parent(s) or anyone else who was around when you were a baby? 

P. S. Genderfaun is a new term for me. I had to look it up. Thanks for the added knowledge.

to the extent I know what I had was a labial fusion,  that's what my parents told me, that's what I've been told to have, still to say that I was 100% afab doesn't seem a good option, since I'm missing the labia Minora, and since people who are 100% your standard afab body don't usually get operations unless trans/dysphoric, what I'm looking for is the word to describe someone  who doesn't really count as your standard intersex person(is it just me or I don't feel I am intersex enough?) but also doesn't have  a binary body, similar to anon-binary(someone like me, that feels nonbinary but not quite or not all the time),but for intersex people, again thanks everyone for your help, I really appreciate it.

I'm no medical expert, but intersex shows up in many different ways.  I'd say that if your labia were closed up or fused together originally, you're likely intersex.  You'd probably want to go to a doctor who specializes in gender issues, as what's on the inside might be more unique than what's on the outside.

I'm AFAB, and all my outside parts look and function as female, although labia and clitoris are overly large.  The fun stuff is actually on the inside, and was only found at the doctor.  A complete and working prostate, which what totally unexpected!  And a 2nd urethra branch, a ton of weird nerves.... In short, the plumbing is a mess.  I'd never be a candidate for surgery.  My unique anatomy manages to all function together (sort of), so changing anything would do more harm than good. 

Anyways, I'm just one example of how intersex can be.  You're likely unique. 

Like most gender diverse areas, Intersex is an evolving term. Different doctors will have different definitions, and this is changing as we learn more. Where is was mostly the physical structure of the reproductive system, it has broadened, and become less straightforward. The test for genetics is growing  more complicated (see the Video Sex and Sensibility 

) but this is just part of the debate. Definitions of Transgender had become challenging, so the major organisations backed away from it and have adopted incongruence or narrowed it to Gender Dysphoria, also leaving the debate happening. I guess each case needs to be assessed and treated individually, so I wouldn't worry too much about definitions while everything is still evolving!

Hugs,

Allie

I'll add that some folks who are intersex have atypical chromosomes, an unusual karyotype, possessing fewer or extra sex chromosomes.  For example, 47 XXY, or 45 X.  If you have unique chromosomes, it might be easier for a doctor to help you out.  Genetically, I'm a 46XX "true female" yet I have the interesting anatomy....my doctor was a bit surprised.  

You can get a DNA test if you want, and a doctor with experience in gender and sex issues can help you.  DNA testing and MRI scans are just a couple of things doctors can do to get more information about your specific physical setup.  And if you're looking at getting surgeries, these are likely to be prerequisites.

3 hours ago, Makiducky said:

what I'm looking for is the word to describe someone  who doesn't really count as your standard intersex person(is it just me or I don't feel I am intersex enough?) but also doesn't have  a binary body, similar to anon-binary(someone like me, that feels nonbinary but not quite or not all the time),but for intersex people.

FYI Mt. Sinai lists partial labial fusion as a "symptom" of intersex. This doesn't necessarily imply intersex. 

Screenshot_20231007-192604.thumb.png.0ff03c7a9c2598b86340602b12ae9dc4.png

https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/diseases-conditions/intersex

However, Center for American Progress gives this definition of intersex.

Screenshot_20231007-193130.thumb.png.86204a964e63bd7a50d468c8ecb14723.png

https://www.americanprogress.org/article/key-issues-facing-people-intersex-traits/

To the extent intersex is an umbrella term referring to the diversity of sex traits, I'd say you may describe yourself as intersex if you prefer. I think any other "term" would really be some kind of description like sex nonbinary, sex diverse, or sex atypical, etc. 

I understand that with practically all umbrellas of diversity, there's the potential for not feeling (fill in the blank) enough. But, one must ask oneself if they really desire diversity to have cut marks - that idea rather defies the whole concept of diversity. Ultimately it's up to you and what you're comfortable with. It's no one else's business to determine how you describe/define/refine yourself. 

• Admin

Although the medical profession is using the DSD nomenclature that I used up above, it is NOT in much daily conversation and would describe your needed surgical intervention for you as something a bit unique.

On my exterior I have an extra large clitoris instead of a penis, labial fusion, and testes. 

The crazy part is the interior where I have a uterus and fallopian tubes. 

Basically I am AMAB because I have testes instead of ovaries. 

• 5 months later...