• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Taylor

Abigail Genevieve

Bob was on his way home from the dojo and he "just happened" to driver by her place. It was 10:30.  Her light was still on.  He knew exactly where she was sitting.  He saw her in his mind.

A fierce wave of desire that took his breath away suddenly showed up. All he had to do was stop, get out of the car, walk to the door and knock.  She would answer, glad to see him.  She would know why he was there and what he wanted. She would invite him in, maybe get him something to drink, disappear for a moment and return in "something more comfortable."  She would lead him back. Oh, joy.

And never, ever speak to him again afterwards.  Or she would not let him in but be angry about it.  In no way, emotionally, physically, mentally or spiritually, was she ready for this, and he knew it, if he was honest with himself, and she knew he knew it.  She would look upon it as another assault and their relationship would be irretrievably broken.  He would have to leave town. It would devastate her. It would devastate him. 

He fought himself.  He was frozen to his seat as his reason and his body fought. He was twenty four years old, a full-blooded male with normal desires; he had just worked out and he was ready.  All he had to do now was open the car door. No one would know. He held his hands, one in the other, to keep one from moving, against his reason and will, to open that door.  He did not want to be a slave of his desires.

He looked across the street.  Mrs. McCarthy, sister of his landlord, was peeking though her window.  She knew his car.  Everyone in town would know by noon the next day if he got out of the car.  Taylor did not need that, either, and she would know, if he came to the door now, what a selfish thing it would be: in his own eyes, in the eyes of Taylor, in the eyes of the town, and worst of all, in the eyes of God.

He sat there a moment longer.  He was, as he reflected, entering into her sufferings in a small way that she would be made whole, healthy and happy: what he wanted more than anything.  But this hurt.  Why had all this come on her?  He asked God again, but there was only silence. He drove home in that silence. He chided himself for even going on her street and for driving on it other nights.  He would stop that, he told himself.

------------------------------------------

The next morning Taylor went out to her car to go to work.  Mrs. McCarthy met her before she got to it.

"I thought you were going to get lucky last night, dearie," she said.

Taylor was puzzled. "Why, what do you mean?"

"That young fellow - you know, Bob - he's been driving around here, going up and down the street some nights, not stopping.  Well, last night he parked and sat in his car for a while.   I think he was staring at your window.  I think he was trying to get up the courage to knock on the door. I was rooting for him.   But then he drove away.  Faint heart never won fair lady, as they say. What a shame. You two are a lovely couple.  Well, have a good day!"

"Thank you, Mrs. McCarthy."  Taylor knew Bob extremely well and knew what had been going through his mind.  She was more than grateful he had not gotten out of the car. Better for him, better for her, better for everybody. 

Surgery "down there" sooner than later.  This was driving the poor boy crazy. It was driving her crazy, too.  But she had a lot to work through. Surgery "up here" she said, pointing to her head.  She woke up her therapist on the way to work.  They were still talking when she pulled into her designated parking spot.  That was a perk that had happened yesterday.  She took a deep breath and headed into work. It would be another wild day.

Lunch was at Cabaret, still free.  The place was quiet: it was the sort of place you took a business client to impress them, and the few other people were in business suits.  Most of the legal profession was there.

She told him of the morning's frustrations, breaking her own rule about confidentiality.  She asked Karen how the branding was going, and Karen had snapped back that she had not started on it yet - they had all these proposals.  Taylor had explained that it was important, for the two o'clock meeting, and Karen told her to do it herself.  Karen pointed out that Taylor could not touch her - her uncle was on the Board and her brother was VP of Manufacturing.  Nor would the two computer guys go out to the plant - they were playing some kind of MMORPG and simply not available. If she wanted the pictures, she should go.  Mary prayed an Ave Maria, but both she and Brenda were racing to get the proposal out. The client wanted it Friday for review.

She didn't bring up what Mrs. McCarthy had told her.  She wasn't sure how to approach it.  She thought of telling her of a 'something more comfortable' she had bought in case he ever DID show up at her door. It was in the bottom drawer of her dresser, ready to go.  Instead she talked about moving to a place with a garage.  Several of the abandoned houses had one, and they had been maintained well with China cash.

Bob had finally realized that when he was introduced as Bob, Taylor's boyfriend, that was just how things were done here. Other people had introduced each other in terms of family relationships, which were strong.  Long before you found out anything else about someone, you knew how they were related.  Family kept people from leaving Millville. 

"What is the real name of this town, anyway?"

She laughed.  "I am trying to find that out.  It's 'Welcome to Millvale' when you come into town from the north, and 'Welcome to Millville' on the south.  I have counted two other variants."

"What a town. Roosevelt is like that, with the families, but there is only one spelling."  

The two o'clock Onshoring meeting was going well.  Taylor was leading, inviting other people up to speak on their specialties. Aerial photogrammetry and surveying, including the exact boundary, were out for contract signature  Gibson had handled that - Manufacturing was supposed to, but somehow hadn't happened.  Legal issues from Legal. Accounting reported on current costs, including all upkeep, guard salaries, etc.  Manufacturing was supposed to give those numbers, but they hadn't.

The downside was the VP of Manufacturing.  He had arrived at the meeting red-faced, his tie askew, clutching a bottle. It smelled strongly of vodka. He had never done anything in his twenty years of being VP of Manufacturing, and he did not like being asked now.

"Mr. ----, do you have the inventory we asked for?" Taylor asked politely.  VP Gibson had asked him to have his people go through the plant and not only inventory but assess the operational status of every piece of equipment.  They needed to know what they had.

"I'm not going to take any f---- orders from a g-d- tra---," he snarled. "God knows what kind of perverts it has dragged into our fair city and bangs every night."

"That is completely out of line." That was Gibson.  Taylor controlled herself.  That was a shot at Bob, not just at Taylor.  She was glad Bob was not there to do something stupid.  Had Mrs. McCarthy been talking? What had she said?  Was she given to embellishment?  Taylor took a deep breath.

"I'm not sorry.  You f--- can take this stupid onshoring --- and shove it up your -"

"That is quite enough."  This was the head of HR.

"You can take your sissy ways and sashay -"

"You are fired."

"You can't fire me."

"Oh, yes I can," said the office manager.  The VP took another swig from his bottle.

"Try it."  He looked uncertain.

"I will have you removed.  Are you going to leave on your own?  I am calling the police to help you leave." And he dialed the number.

He stomped out cursing. They heard him noisily go down the hall.  This was the front conference room.  He actually went through security and out the door, throwing his badge on the ground on his way.  The guard picked it up. They could see this through the glass wall.

"Can you fire a VP?"

"The Board told me that if anyone gives me problems they should be shown the door. Even a VP.  I can fire everyone here. I won't, of course. Those were problems."

"Are you alright, Taylor?"

She nodded.  "I've heard worse.  Shall we continue?"

And they did.

The last item was that certain business people in China had been arrested, and the corporation that had been supporting them all these years had been dissolved.  They were on their own, and the Board was dead serious on straightening things out.  After this meeting, Taylor believed it.  She did not attend the meeting to discuss how to distribute the few duties the VP of Manufacturing had done.  That was ultimately up to the Board.

On the way back to her desk she was interrupted by six short, urgent conversations that had to be attended to. Then she slipped into the women's room and locked the stall door.  She took a deep breath, then another, and allowed herself to shake for five minutes,  Then deep breathing, ten in and ten out, stretch up, touch the floor, neck rolls and she was fine. She used the toilet and a woman knocked and said, "Taylor, are you okay?"

"Ready to conquer the world!"  on her way out she found her makeup was fine.  Three stalls, two sinks.  If she ever designed a women's room with three stalls, there would be four sinks, with plenty of space to plunk your stuff down between them.

She met a deferential Karen.  "Here is the branding I came up with," she said.  And she went back to working as hard as Brenda and Mary, who looked up worriedly and then went back to the proposal.

Shortly before 5:00 she received an email with the title Consolidation and Compensation.  In it she learned that the position of office manager was eliminated, and the current office manager was to become the chief executive officer. The former CEO, along with the CFO, the chief legal officer, and sundry staff, had been terminated, per the Board of Directors. 

Effective immediately everyone would receive a base salary of $20,000 with a commission to be set by the individual's supervisor.  Each supervisor would be given a certain percentage to distribute.  Most functions they had been handled would be outsourced as needed.

"The question of what profit was made last year is frequent enough to be answered.  The company lost over 500,000 in fiscal 2023.  At this point further cuts are not anticipated.  We will be strategically adding positions that will enhance our profits. Hard work is expected of everyone."

Her two web guys had been complaining because their games had been remotely uninstalled.  After the memo came out they were absolutely silent.  That gave her an idea, and after an exchange of emails they were reassigned to maintenance out at the plant, effective tomorrow morning.  There were lots of weeds that needed pulling, if nothing else. That email went out after they left early, for the day.  The maintenance foreman was a no-nonsense type who did not tolerate slacking, and they would learn a thing or two.  This also freed up two spaces for her to put new people.

On the way back to her desk she was interrupted by six short, urgent conversations that had to be attended to. Then she slipped into the women's room and locked the stall door.  She took a deep breath, then another, and allowed herself to shake for five minutes,  Then deep breathing, ten in and ten out, stretch up, touch the floor, neck rolls and she was fine. She used the toilet and a woman knocked and said, "Taylor, are you okay?"

"Ready to conquer the world!"  on her way out she found her makeup was fine.  Three stalls, two sinks.  If she ever designed a women's room with three stalls, there would be four sinks, with plenty of space to plunk your stuff down between them.

She met a deferential Karen.  "Here is the branding I came up with," she said.  And she went back to working as hard as Brenda and Mary, who looked up worriedly and then went back to the proposal.

Shortly before 5:00 she received an email with the title Consolidation and Compensation.  In it she learned that the position of office manager was eliminated, and the current office manager was to become the chief executive officer. The former CEO, along with the CFO, the chief legal officer, and sundry staff, had been terminated, per the Board of Directors. 

Effective immediately everyone would receive a base salary of $20,000 with a commission to be set by the individual's supervisor.  Each supervisor would be given a certain percentage to distribute.  Most functions they had been handled would be outsourced as needed.

"The question of what profit was made last year is frequent enough to be answered.  The company lost over 500,000 in fiscal 2023.  At this point further cuts are not anticipated.  We will be strategically adding positions that will enhance our profits. Hard work is expected of everyone."

Her two web guys had been complaining because their games had been remotely uninstalled.  After the memo came out they were absolutely silent.  That gave her an idea, and after an exchange of emails they were reassigned to maintenance out at the plant, effective tomorrow morning.  There were lots of weeds that needed pulling, if nothing else. That email went out after they left early, for the day.  The maintenance foreman was a no-nonsense type who did not tolerate slacking, and they would learn a thing or two.  This also freed up two spaces for her to put new people.

It was nine thirty.  Saturday morning had rolled around more quickly than Taylor could believe.  She groaned, whined, thought of a million excuses why she should just stay in bed and knock the alarm across the room.  But it would still be going on, and so would the promise to Bob: when the gi came in, she would be in. There it was in its nice package, out where she could not miss it.  Why didn't she hide it?  She shook her head.

Up she got.  Sometimes you just do.  Her hair was a wreck. She patted it down and went to the bathroom.  Nine forty five. Shower later. No make up. She hated kara-tay especially at an ungodly early hour on a Saturday morning. Bagel. Instant coffee.  She was five minutes away when she realized she had forgotten the gi.  Back she went.

Into the dojo.  She had about five minutes to get the gi on.  She attempted to slip in unnoticed and go to the little restroom. Someone barked something out in Japanese or something, and there was a dead silence.  She turned to see what was going on. Both classes were getting into their lines, but everyone, including Bob, was bowing slightly. To her. Bob nodded, and she returned the bow.  Life started again. She was touched.

Bowing three times. Oath. Kata.  She was facing off with Judy as her partner.  Judy looked worried.

"Sometimes you just gotta pick yourself up and try again," Taylor told her. She nodded. "Let's do this."

Lunge punch and lower block.  They traded off like nothing had happened the last weekend.  Lunge punch and middle block. Lunge punch and upper block.  It was kind of like dancing. Taylor enjoyed it.  She wanted to learn more.  Brown-belt Maggie adjusted position of limbs and hips for both Taylor and Judy, telling them when she was about to do something: elbow up a bit". 

"How'd you do?" Bob asked her later.  They had both gone home and showered. Now they were in a booth at a fast food place.

"I was kind of disappointed class ended. I was ready for more."

"That's my trooper."

"I'm not allowing you in my apartment until we are married," she said suddenly.

"You think I am a problem?"

"No.  I think you are safe. You passed the test  I am the problem here."

"Okay."

"What did the doctor tell you?"

"It's complicated.  More tests coming.  Like getting into college.  I got a letter back.  It seems there is this big fat M on my transcript and my current picture is not an M type picture.  I have to write a letter and send them notarized proofs and stuff. Just delays. This is a pain. Nothing cut and dried."

"I will say.  I'm glad I'm not transgender."

"Hah. You are pulled into my world.  You are involved in this stuff as much as I am, and, as you put it, of your own free will."

"You are worth it."

"I hope so."

"I know so."

"Let's go," he said.  They were both in denim and boots.  She wanted to go out to the plant and look at one of the buildings, different from all the others, with A659 stenciled on the side.  It was heavily locked but had keys.  Staff had told her there was something strange about it.  He drove his Wrangler.

"I was going to ask you about what the doctor said, but the walls have ears."

"I know.  They shamelessly listen to everything and it is all over town.  They can't help it, the dears, we are strangers in town and they are thirsty for novelty."

"They call you the Tornado." 

She laughed.  He did.  She was a skinny little thing, meek and mild.

"They call you the Greek god. Not far off."

"Heh."

"Doc took me off hormones to run tests and get a clear idea of what is going on.  I am kind of scared I will grow a beard and get a deep voice and you will never want to marry me."

"Don't worry about it.  Before hormones you looked like a preadolescent girl. Nothing to worry about."

"So if I turn into Sasquatch you would still marry me?"

"Yes."

"Will you marry me?"

"Yes."

"We are engaged! Hah! I've been waiting since high school for this."

"We are not.  The guy pops the question. And there is a ring involved."

She pulled the band out of her hair and stuck it on his right wrist as he drove. "There."

"That's not a proper engagement."

"Is."

"Is not."

"Then do better.  Find a ring and a decent spot and do it.  You have until sundown.  Taylor's rules."

"I don't know where a jewelry store is."

"Let me handle it."  She speed dialed.  "Hey, John? Yeah, this is Taylor from Millivlle.  You remember me?  Great. My FIANCE and I will be by later today to pick up the ring I ordered."

She turned to him.  "YOU find a location.  They close at five." You better have a good speech. Remember, I do presentations for a living."

They drove for a minute.

"Aren't you going to kiss me?"

That took a few minutes.

The guard unlocked the gate.  She was surprised to see he knew where to go.  Now they parked the Wrangler near A659.  He got out and sent a text.  She didn't catch the name.  "Don't shoot"? 

"Yeah. I think you are going to meet some of the people I work with today. Some of them are rather excitable."

"Later, I guess."

"Sooner or later."

"This is a huge parking lot."

"I guess they used to have a lot of workers here."

"You know all about it."

She looked at the sign next to the entrance door.  "DO NOT ENTER WITHOUT PROPER AUTHORIZATION. TRESPASSERS ARE SERVED NOTICE THEY WILL BE PROSECUTED UNDER THE US MILITARY CODE IF THEY PROCEED PAST THIS POINT."

It was faded.  There was a number to call.  Taylor looked at the wall, windowless for the first twenty feet off the ground, intact glass above it.  There were railroad tracks and a crane on one side and she had seen steel doors there. 

"This hasn't been used in decades.  Whatever classification it ever had has surely expired.  And my company owns it."

"You go ahead and unlock it."

She looked at him.  "You know a lot more about this than you are telling."

"I do."

"Is this the real reason you are working remote in Millville?"

"It's the reason they let me move here.  I found it when I was looking to do exactly that."

"What's in there?"

"I am sure my friends will tell you."

"Are they in there?" Bizarre.

"No."

"You are enjoying this."

"Unlock it. But don't go in."

She did, and a klaxon went off.  She looked around. "I don't see anyone."

"Just wait."

Five minutes later a jet streaked across the sky. "Was that it?" He shook his head.

Fifteen minutes after that was the faint thump-thump of helicopters.  Soon three Apache helicopters appeared overhead, circling.  She saw guns and missile tubes.  "Your friends?"

"Some of them.  Just wait."

Three big Chinook helicopters arrived, circled the building and then set down, together, at the same time,  in a triangle on the parking lot.  The klaxon was still going off.

Troops piled out: Army soldiers in combat gear clutching rifles.  Someone bellowed "Secure the perimeter! Move! Move! Move!" And the troops did, some around the choppers, and the rest around A659.

Finally some officers came out of the third chopper, led by a fellow who swaggered as he walked. "Captain Pomposity" Taylor muttered to herself, and took an instant dislike of him.

He and his officers, accompanied by a few enlisted, came up to Bob and Taylor.

"I advise you to step away from the building. Step away NOW."  With the Cobras overhead and all the weapons everywhere, they complied.

"Bob," said Captain Pomposity.

"Colonel," said Bob.

"You two know each other?"

"We work together," the colonel said,"now and again.  I have been meaning to come out and look at this place for a long time." He frowned at the klaxon, took out a phone and punched a few buttons.  The klaxon stopped.  He walked over to the door, poked his head inside for a moment, and then shut it.  He made sure it was locked. 

"Don't do that again without proper authorization."

"I thought that was expired."

"Oh, no. No.  In fact, there is talk of starting it up again. But we have not been introduced. I am Colonel Mayberry.  Bob, you sure know how to pick them? What is the name of this little bunny?"

"That is the wrong way to -"

But by then Taylor had demonstrated a perfect right lunge punch.  Bob admired the form and that she had not telegraphed it. She followed it up with a right hook, got inside his guard, tripped him and was sitting on his chest, knees pinning his arms, flailing away and yelling "Apologize!" She was not very strong, but she didn't need to be.

It took three men to pull her off. 

"Taylor, it's all right."

She was breathing hard. Her arms were held on either side.  "He needs to apologize."

"I have twenty men here in fit condition, well armed and combat ready, and three Apache helicopters overhead. And you attack me."

"Apologize."  If Taylor could have broken free she would have been on him again.

"We could use people like you in the Army.  That was good. Wow.  I boxed at West Point. Wow.  You got the drop on me.  Okay, I apologize."

Taylor relaxed.   They let go of her and she went over and meekly put her arm through Bob's elbow, the dainty little meek  thing that she was. Purely harmless and ornamental.  That was Taylor.  Demure.

The Colonel had broken glasses, a split lip and his nose was bleeding.

"I am Taylor, Bob's FIANCEE", she said, looking at Bob.  He knew she was not going to let this go.

"I am Colonel Mayberry.  It is a, a  pleasure to meet you." He was still holding a handkerchief and blood was dripping to the ground.

"Colonel, I represent the company that owns this property. I think I have a right to know what is going on."

"You have not been read in.  And this is actually Navy, not Army.  He turned to Bob.  "Bob, I know people over there. This is all I can do.  You should get a call or something in a few days, and they you can tell her what is going on."

"Sounds good."

With a few parting words and so forth, and cautious looks at Taylor, they were gone.

"Bob, what is going on?"

"I can't tell you. It's classified.  And we have more important things to do today."

"You have to buy me a ring, among other things."

"i am not going to argue with you.  Where did you learn to fight like that?"

"Roosevelt Grade School.  When you are sissy you get in a lot of fights. Dad thought it would toughen me up."

"Remind me not to argue with you."

"Oh, I will."

The next morning they visited Community Church because Bob wanted to check out the "Ministry Fair" they were having. Taylor was interested in the women's shelter and support groups. The service was more subdued and Brother Mike gave a sermon on Genesis 1 that Bob thought thoughtful.  There was an altar call and he was surprised that Taylor answered it. Later she said she wanted prayer for healing and direction.

They spent the afternoon at a park and they both needed to catch up on household duties, so they each went home.

At 6:00 Taylor's phone rang.  It was the Chairman of the Board.  There was an emergency meeting and her presence was required.

"I'll be blunt and brief, Mr. Jackson," the chairman began.

"Ms. Jackson."

"Let's not indulge your delusions.  At no time ever has any member of the United States military, any branch, been assaulted while performing his assigned duties by any member of our organization on any property controlled by us. To our shame that changed yesterday. John, roll the video."

There was security camera video that caught the whole thing - all the choppers, Bob and Taylor, Taylor attacking, the colonel on the ground, one of the men getting a mean backhand from her when he tried to pull her off, that she didn't remember, them facing each other, and it ended.

"Do you deny that was you?"

"No, I do not.   He insulted me."

"He insulted you.  I suggest in the future you develop a thicker skin.  However, that future will not be here." With that he went over various events, all seen with a certain skew:  he had provoked the VP of Marketing into getting fired, he and his homosexual boyfriend were studying Oriental black arts, in high school he had been suspended for the first semester for a fight in which it seemed five boys later wound up missing or dead, there was a record of fighting and suspension; he had worn girls' clothes until he went to school and then when he wasn't in school.  They even covered Uncle Ed, who had hanged himself when Taylor was nine, in jail for child molestation.  She had forgotten that one.  Taylor's six months performance was reviewed and later performance was regarded as a fluke.

She was escorted out of the building.  Her personal effects would be delivered to her apartment the next day. Her presence on any property would be regarded as trespassing and would be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

She called Bob, of course.  He said that would collapse all these deals she was involved in and that the military plant would go elsewhere.  So would his company's relocation.  Would she like to go back to Philadelphia with him?  Yes.  Philly was far more T friendly.  He then called his real estate broker and told him to accept the outstanding offers on the land.  The 160 acres he had bought for a dollar each he now had an offer from a Board member for thirty two million.  Likewise two other properties.  Later that week they would be back to a dollar an acre. 

The thunder was so loud it shook her awake at 6:20.  It was supposed to rain all day with periods of thunder storm. The room was dark except for her clock radio and the flashes of thunder.  She sat up. This was a little after her normal wake up time, but what, now was normal  Her mood was just as dark as the sky.  Rain pelted against the window.

She got up, stretched, pushed the hair out of her eyes and waved at the unmade bed.  First time in a long time. Visit to the toilet, wash hands, sit in the living room and stare at the wall.  What was she supposed to do now?  Mom had just accepted it, as she had just accepted the call the previous night, saying two calls in two days was nice and Taylor should call more often.  Dad didn't bother coming to the phone. 

Bob would be on his way to the gym right now.  Maybe if she listed assets it would help her.  Bob.  Transitioning. Engagement.  Bob.  Discovering she was an amazing marketer.  $90,000 in savings from bonuses.  Negatives: no job.  Not working for Millville.  That was a plus.  She looked at the ring on her finger.  Definite plus.  It was clear in her mind and emotions now that she was leaving Millville. 

The lightning flashes lit up the Bible under her coffee table.  Maybe she should read.  She brought it up and turned on a small lamp.  She read over Genesis One and considered yesterday's sermon.  She considered staying - that church had possibilities, but the desire died in her as soon as she thought it.  God, what do you want me to do? She considered flipping through the BIble as a way of guidance.  She remembered her youth pastor saying someone had done that and the first verse was 'Judas went out and hanged himself.'  The someone had prayed for further guidance and found 'go thou and do likewise.'  Last, 'what you do, do quickly.'  She smiled at the memory of the laughter.  Put God down as an asset.  Also a close-knit transgender group that she didn't want to leave.  Okay, I stay here and fight.  To what end? Would a job there be worth anything?  They would be out of money soon.  Gibson and she were saving the company's bacon and practically turning it into a marketing company.  She wished he and she could go off somewhere and start a company. But stay and fight.  Matthew 10:14.  She didn't know where that came from. It wasn't a verse she was familiar with.  She thought it again.  Curious, she turned to it: If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet. Her Scripture knowledge was better than she thought. Romans 8:28.  Another Bible verse she was unfamiliar with.  She looked it up. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.  Do I love God? Am I called according to His purposes?  She wondered.

Some preacher somewhere had said that those who were concerned about their salvation could consider it evidence that God was at work; other people don't care.  She prayed. 

Did she have anything against Millville? Not really. She had forgiven them, and now she forgave them again.  She was not their judge and these people were accountable to God for themselves.  She had enough problems with herself.  With that, she got up, showered, dressed, and ate breakfast.  There was a sense of relief that she didn't have to do everything in a normal hectic day as they had been lately.  She shook it all off. Not her problem

Her problems?  1) Getting out of Millvile.  2) Getting her stuff when they delivered it, meaning staying here until that happened.  3) Finding out when Dr, Michaels' office was scheduling surgery.  She didn't want to switch doctors right now so she might as well wait here, because Dr. Michaels came here every Friday.  He had multiple offices he saw people at. He had mentioned a hospital where he did surgery, or rather, he worked with a team of surgeons.

So under 1) she needed to determine the timing.  She looked up rental trucks and put a company here on speed-dial.  She went through her fridge and assumed she would be here less than a week. A bag of clothes for give-away, things boxed up. It would take two hours to pack up.  She packed up what she did not need for three days.  She was pacing.

She sat down and looked at You-Tube.  Someone had leaked the video of her attacking the Colonel and it was viral.  Wow. That would maybe make it harder to get a job.  One million views. Two million.  Comments in English, German, Chinese, Spanish.  Three million.  No sound.  Just from the helicopters landing to when the Colonel turned to get back on the chopper and the troops fell back.  Bob and her were clearly identifiable, as was the Colonel.

"I'm in a mess," she said.  Four million views.  All the English comments approved of what she had done.  Someone posted that you should respect the military, but he was shouted down by a bunch of people who said the someone didn't know Colonel Mayberry and congratulations to someone this gutsy.

She spent a while watching the count go up.  Movie star, that was what she was.  Her phone rang.  They asked for her.  They were from a certain organization.  They asked it it was her on the video.  She said yes.  They asked if she would record her version, because they wanted to add it to the video.  With nothing else to do, she obliged.

Five million views.  Somewhere in there the video had the sound of her voice, a little edited to cut some excess verbiage, and at the end it said "COURAGE IS ALIVE IN AMERICA" and under it was TRANS RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS" and under that the name of an organization that she had heard of.  She had said nothing about being trans.

Lunch.  Still pouring rain.  She looked outside and got her raincoat on.  Out to the mailbox. Another thing to do: change of address.  She figured she would move close to wherever the surgery would be.  No mail, but on the soggy grass was a box with Millville branding that looked like it had been tossed out of a moving car open, rolling and spilling its contents onto the wet grass over an area until the box came to rest, quite soggy.  It was her stuff.  Delivered. She grabbed an empty garbage bad and headed out, picking stuff out of the grass.  Here was the little China doll her friend Cindy haad given her, only someone had smashed the face in and where the ribs were.  This was brutal. Sadistic. Uncalled for.  She gathered everything, and as she was working Mrs. McCarthy came out and stood there.

"This is terrible.  Millville can be such a nice place. I am sorry this happened to such a wonderful person as you."

"Thank you".  No letter of thanks, no congratulatory notes on how the company appreciated her efforts. Various things had dirty words written on them in black marker.  She picked it all up and took it to the dumpster. None of it was worth saving. She liked Cindy but she did not want to remember this.

Mrs. McCarthy was still standing there.

"Millville used to be a sundown town.  You know what that is?"

She knew. Roosevelt had been.

"I think you probably need to be out of here by sundown."  She was smiling sweetly.

"Or?"

"Some people, I don't know who, would consider this a warning."
"Of what?"

Mrs. McCarthy smiled sweetly.  "Things could be a lot worse for you than they have been.  Millville can be such a nice place. I am sorry that this is happening to such a sweet person as you.  Well, I need to get out of the rain."

On the way to the rental truck place Bob got a call, as did the head of her support group. She was leaving. Now.

The rental guy seemed to know all about it. She signed the forms.  He said,"Millvale can be such a nice place. I am sorry this is happening to such a sweet person as you."

When she got back to her apartment, most of the people from the dojo were there. So was her support group.  They loaded the truck.  Her car was hitched to the rear bumper.  It was three o'clock.

Her landlord was not surprised.  He waddled out and said something along the lines of there would be no refund of the deposit.  She said she had cleaned the place.  What about a refund of rent for the rest of the month. He shook his head and told her that Millville is such a nice place. Sorry this is happening to such a sweet person as you."

Hugs for her group.  Mrs. McCarthy came out in the rain again and looked at the people in her transgender support group, some of whom were struggling with their appearance.  "I didn't know we had people like that around here. Well, good bye!" She wanted to know where Taylor was going.  Dr. Daniels had an office in the KC area, so she had a rough idea, but by no means was she going to tell Mrs. McCarthy, or anyone in Millville, where she was going.  She would handle change of address over the phone - not that she got much mail.

Bob got the message.  He was pulling out in a rental truck with two cars being towed.  Mark was taking the motorcycle. He'd had to deal with work issues and crossed the city limit going north at 5:00.

They would stop for the night, at least, in a place called Lee's Summit, find self-storage for everything except one car, stay in the hotel or motel for several days while they figured out their next steps, and maybe explore KC.  Neither of them had been there before. "Think of it as a vacation.  We have plenty of money, anyway."

"You didn't tell me how much you made off real estate speculation."

"Well, the Board was competing with each other to outbid each other.  I had 160 acres west of the airstrip, 100 to the north, 300 to the east and 40 south.  Also 400 acres elsewhere. I bought it all at a dollar or a little more an acre.  I just sold it all for one hundred twenty-eight million.   Let me repeat that.  one hundred twenty eight million."

"Not bad for being in town only a few weeks."
"Not bad at all.  And the Navy may start that plant up.  Too early to tell."

"Is it still classified?"

"Yep.  Oh, and it is fine with my company if I stay in the KC area.  Working remote works, and we have clients in the area, who need face to face time now and again.  I will need to go back from time to time, but they are still interested in moving out of Philly."

"That's great."

"Yeah, and if you need caretaking during your recovery, here I am.  We can find a place.  Has the doctor called?"

"No."

They had separate rooms.  She wanted to sleep in and he had checked out the exercise room, where he planned to be at 6:30 AM. 

Breakfast.  Two guys in military uniform showed up in the breakfast area and looked around.  They saw her and bee-lined.

"Uh-oh," said Bob. 

"Don't get up." They flashed badges, some kind of military investigative service.  They asked for ID.

They looked at Taylor's.  "You're -" "I am working at fixing that."  No trouble with Bob's.

"We are investigating a breach Saturday of a classified structure in Millville, Missouri."

Bob slowly took another card out of his wallet and showed them.  They examined it.  "You are authorized." Okay, you - ma'am."

"No clearance."

They looked at each other.

"We have you on tape unlocking the door."

"I did that."

"Did you look inside?"

"I did not."   Further questions related to how she got a key and where it was now.  She had hung it back on its hook in the key ring. They verified the key was in an unsecured area.  They were done.

"I thought you were here to talk about the Colonel Mayberry video."

"He can off himself," said one of the two, walking out.

The other turned. "Off the record, I find that video very funny. A lot of people have been wanting to punch that pompous so and so for a long time.  You were the first.  He used to box for West Point.  He probably told you that.  Trophies and medals and stuff.  Well, let me tell you, that he has been making comments that almost are borderline reportable against women, and he has been informed that if he does anything against you, about thirty five women are going to report him, he gets broken and end of career.  You have a wicked lunge punch.  Best video I have seen in a long time.  I think the whole US Army has seen it by now.  You have the United States Army backing you one hundred percent in whatever you want to do. Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, Space Force.  That video gets around. Our concerns have been met and we need to look at key security in Millville.  They are about to get a roasting. Good day you two."

They looked at each other.  "Zoo?"

"Let's."

"One month rent, then nine month lease, then rent payments apply to owning it?"

"Yep."

"It's huge."

"It is."

They were on the 23rd floor of Westport Condominiums, in Westport, of course, only a few blocks away from KU Med, where the surgery would be in three weeks.  Dr. McDaniels' office said it would take three to four hours in surgery because they were complications down there, but she would emerge fully normal, and then six weeks of convalescence, after which would be allowed light  exercise under doctor's supervision.  Daily nurse visits, and that would taper off.

Four massive bedrooms.  Large open area with views to the west, where they could actually look down and see KU Med, and north to see the downtown KC skyline.  Neither of them had been this high before and they were both unused to looking down. Southwest Trafficway and 39th Street were below them, way down there.  Massive kitchen with marble counters, walk-in freezer, appliances neither of them knew what they did, although there were manuals to read; each bedroom had its own bath, there was a jacuzzi, a room for indoor gardening with grow lights, a study, a game room that was soon going to be full of exercise equipment, and it went on and on.  Downstairs their cars were in their designated parking spots.  Their own stuff was piled at the moment next to the elevator.  They had their own elevator.  They didn't know where to put anything.  The study would be his office.  They would each have their own bedrooms until they married and they moved into the master bedroom.  That would be next spring. 

They spent the rest of the day exploring Westport.  Or, rather, they found Westport Ultimate Martial Arts and Bob was introduced to the head of the dojo.  He was a third level black belt and Bob and he went way back. They had twenty instructors and did eight kinds of martial arts.  Taylor looked at the boxing rings and the brochures on the different kinds of martial arts.  'Women's Self-Defense Course - 8 hours' interested her.

"Can I help you?"  it was a young woman, Taylor's height and age and weight.  They could have been twins. But the twin was wearing a gi wrapped in a black belt.

"My fiance is talking to your boss.  I'm killing time.  I'm Taylor."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Candy.  I teach Shotokan karate and judo. I only have my brown in judo.  Are you interested in the women's self defense course?"

"Yes.  Yes I am."

"Hey - are the girl on the video that is going around? You punched out some Army officer?"
"Yes, that was me."

"Hilarious.  Best lunge punch I have ever seen.  You must be training."

"I'm working on my white belt.  We just got a place here in Westport."

"We would love to have you.  From that video, I think you could teach the Women's Self-Defense course all by yourself. Not even a while belt? Wow."

Taylor bowed.  Candy bowed back.  They laughed. They talked. They bonded. They were friends.  This was so nice.  Just girl friends. Nothing about transgender, nothing about the hate, the frustration, the sorrow.  Just friends, as it should be.

"You're crying."

"I'm happy."

The surgery date was set, three weeks later.  Dr. Michaels would see her on Thursdays in his Nall Avenue office, not too far away.  There was a karate tournament in Oak Grove Missouri they planned to attend before then, Bob both as a judge and doing some demonstrations, Taylor in her beltless gi, meaning she was useless except to stand around and look pretty, as Bob put it.  White belts on up helped with tournament setup.  She would learn some things at the tournament. The Millville dojo people would be there.  She hoped to chitchat with Margie and Judy, maybe sitting at a table with them.

Life fell into a routine.  By the time Taylor got up Bob was at it in the weight room, and by the time he walked into the breakfast area she had a nice breakfast for both of them.  They would watch the city as they ate and talked, and Bob would work his nine hours on a day when other things were not happening.  They settled in at Westport Ultimate Martial Arts - Bob had a variable training schedule, and Taylor was working on her white belt.  Three months of practice were required before they would grant it.  She got phone calls and emails from people asking her to help with marketing and she explained that she was on sabbatical and would start up after recovering from surgery.

That did not prevent her from attending professional meetings.  At one of them she ran into her old boss Gibson.  He was working at a firm but he thought he could do a lot better teaming with Taylor.  They made plans and after her 'sabbatical' they would form a company and do what they had been doing so successfully down south.  She familiarized herself with the KC market, so much bigger than Millville, and considered there was great potential here.  Many of their former contacts had been here, people who would like their help again. 

Westport Welcome Church welcomed them.  They were walking around and found it.  There was a rainbow flag on the door, a little one, and they were curious.  The pastor was non-passing trans, mtf, and was open about it. Her face had been operated on so that when you looked at her face on, she looked like a woman, but from the side, a man.  It was jarring until you got used to it. The service was populated by kids younger than Bob and Taylor, who were some of the older members now, and rainbow-colored hair and metal facial features were quite common.  Also were boys badly attempting to pass as girls and vice versa.  There were older people as well, some trans, some trans-friends.  Westport was as trans-friendly an area as you could find in KC.

It irritated Bob that they assumed he was gay, which had been an irritation in high school with scratches on his locker and a few other things.  Taylor quickly put that to rest: he is my Greek god.  They were getting married.  And there was no doubt that she was cisgender to anyone who looked at her, which caused them to smile when they heard it.  People called him "Taylor's Greek god".   Everyone knew Taylor from that video.  Strangers would come up and ask if that was her.

"I feel like we have come home," Taylor told him as they walked back from service on Sunday.

"Yes. It feels like that."

They were sitting on the love seat, looking west out over Kansas.  Below them the busy city ran to and fro.

"They called.  My surgery has been rescheduled for May 8.  I need to be there at 5 AM for pre-op.  I start prescriptions and diet change on May 1."

"Okay."  Bob did his not-thinking-about anything look.  Taylor was always amazed that he could  actually be thinking about absolutely nothing. She was always thinking of at least six things.

"How can they be like that?"

"What?"  He startled a little.  Contact with reality was reestablished.

"Where does the hate come from?  Mrs. McArthur?  She was always polite, but I think she wasn't really.  Somehow she hated me even though there were no indications whatsoever."

"Yeah, well, you know they are starting up that plant.  And my company is going ahead with their work there, down n Milliville.   I will have to go down there sometimes."

"Oh, Bob."

"Maybe I will stop by and ask her."

"No."

"No.  Cabaret is closed, I have been told.  Your transgender support group has scattered to other places."

"What is wrong with those people?"

"Same thing as Roosevelt, I guess.  You know all the racial comments against Blacks?  Like that game where our cheerleaders started this insulting cheer, an the opposite team was mostly Black? Teachers stopped it."

"I didn't know.  I was staying away from that, remember?"

"Yes."

"You know all those kids at our church, the ones you called freaks the other day?"

"I shouldn't have called them that."

"Pastor tells me they are all from all over the Midwest.  These are kids who have been thrown out of their homes and were found on the street.  Other shelters would not take them, so they wound up here."

"Not surprising."

"I think we could do some good here."

"What do you have in mind?"

And she told him.

"How did it go yesterday? Any trouble in Millville?"

He shook his head. "Your biscuits and gravy are great."

"Mama's recipe. She taught this girl to COOK."

"Uh-huh.  Well, it rained the whole time.  We did the ground breaking in pouring rain.  Your friend, the former head of manufacturing, is now on the Board.  It looks like sunshine down there, he told me, with the missile plant starting up and they re-hired all the people they fired.  Millville Products is as it was.  And the Chinese money is still coming.  That was just an ugly rumor.  Gibson quit, but you knew that."

"Missile plant, huh.  Yeah.  Gibson and I may go into business.  But I have been thinking-"

"Yeah.  It's been declassified.  I can tell you they made missiles for Navy ships and planes during World War 2. It was shut down after Vietnam.  Several other supporting companies are moving in - paint, electronics assembly, a few others - that support missile production."

"Okay."