• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Vampire Book With A Transgender Character

Guest Jennifer1

Guest Jennifer1

Im currently writing this book. The main character is a MTF Transexual and also eventually a vampire. I was wondering if that even sounded like something worth reading. I know my friends like me reading it to them but i have no imput from the transgender community and i'm interested in thoughts.

Heres an part from the begining so you can see how i'm doing it. If you have the strenght to get through my typos and bad grammar that is.

“You know you can’t go in there.” Megan said to Rose as she tried to enter the ladies room.

“Why not! Because I was born different and people would rather see me as what I am instead of WHO I am?” Rose said obviously irritated.

“Rose, Honey you know that the reason is because the Dean said that you can’t. They are afraid a girl will walk in and it will cause a law suit.” Megan tried to sound calming to her friend.

“So what then? I should use the men’s room and risk being harmed. Why can’t people see me for who I am? I’m a good person…. Aren’t I?” Rose started crying, Megan sighed this was becoming a daily struggle between the girls. Rose’s mood swings were becoming very erratic and even though Megan knew why it was still hard sometimes. Was she really this bad when she hit puberty? She let Rose fall into her arms and comforted her friend. After a while the tears slowed down and though her shirt was soaked she comforted her friend. This was a very difficult time for her.

“I’ll tell you what. Why don’t I go in and see if anyone is in there. If it is clear I’ll stand guard and you can use the restroom. “ Rose let go of her friend and Megan let her. Rose’s returning smile was timid at best and her mascara had run. Megan was going to have to introduce her friend to water proof make up.

“Thank you, you really are the best Megs.” Rose whispered to Megan as she turned to enter the restroom. It was all clear so she let Rose go in and clean herself up.

When Megan first met Rose she was living as Jonathan. At the time she was living as a he and very overly Macho. She had the cutest little buzz cut and was very athletic though a little short at 5’7”. His voice still deep but it was obvious he was struggling with something. Megan never would have guessed it was this. Then about two years ago they were getting drunk watching a chick flick. Jon loved them though an odd trait for a guy Megan found it very charming. That was when Jon turned to her.

“Megan? Can I tell you something very very personal?” She had asked. Megan thought he was going to confess his love for her. However that wasn’t the case.

“Don’t freak out but….but… but…. I should have been a girl. I am not this guy that I pretend to be.” Megan had been shocked at first and it hurt that he wasn’t confessing his feelings towards her. However it comforted her to know that she had falling for a person with the soul of a girl for a while she was once again questioning her sexuality. In the end they came together even closer to who they were today.

Guest Jennifer1

If any one is willing to proof read it and critique it as im writing send me a PM i'd be glad to have a person who can catch the things i missed.

That could be very interesting, I'd like to see more of it.

I'll PM you if I get a break in my schedule to have time to read it without letting it influence the book fragment thatI have 'brought back from the dead', it's a vampire novel as well but no trans characters, well none yet but there are many chapters left to write, the mmain characters are not.

Looking for a big, big, big audience so I can quit working and just write!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Cody_T
Also, as far as the plot, I know that can be hard to explain sometimes, but I always like to have the end in mind, and at least one theme running throughout the book. By the end in mind, I can see you have at least part of it (or is the becoming a vampire the middle?) so you've got a start, but one very good author, John Irving, does this thing where he doesn't start writing a book until he knows what the last line will be, and then he pretty much writes it in reverse order, so that everything in the beginning takes you directly to the end.

Hopefully I managed to do that nicely (lol, I meant it when I said I can be critical. Most of the time my self criticism is like, "This book sucks compared to Harry Potter! JK Rowling is so much better than you!" and then I have to remember that I don't have to be the richest author ever to be good, lol.) and I hope you stay dedicated and enjoy writing this. :D

No wonder John Irving's books are so good! I'm definitely doing that now. I mean, I always attempt to, but I keep messing it up. My latest book attempt has gone through about five entire plot and character shifts (including everything about my main character except for his name) as I realize that the ending will suck, and I had to scrap quite a few chapters I'd written. So I think this is a great idea and I'm gonna do that now.

You sound like me in terms of self criticism :P. I always think "this is horrible, just stop now" when what I should really be doing is finding the errors. It leads to a large number of hastily abandoned projects.

Jennifer- I like this, you write dialogue very well. I'd definitely read it. And I can send you my proofreading, I live to proofread :D

Guest Jennifer1

For me my characters really do tend to write themselves. When i get to work i'll elaborate more on it. I have an idea of what rose is mentally and who megan is. I have much more written then ive posted and an author helping me through. This is the first book i dont have the ending for. Honestly im still trying to figure out who the bad guy is though I have a rough idead. Originally paul was going to be the evil one but i think hes going to turn out to be a good guy im not sure. Thats something ive got to work on. I know what you mean about seeing the ending though. The other book im working on i have the ending clear in mind. This time it was the characters who are strong in my mind. What it seems to me im doing is getting scene's in my mind and then writing to connect them. So i will have to go through and add in more later. but when i get to work i'll explain alittle about the world and the characters so far.

As the author of Calling from the shadows told me. Sometimes you write a character to be expendable and they just worm their way into your heart and become more.

Guest Naomi Stardust

the best advice i have heard about any artistic endeavors

is that if you like what you are doing

then chances are simply because of the huge number of people in the world

that there is a group who will also like it

there is always a market for everything

the trick is finding it

but thankfully, that's the publisher's job and not the writer's :)

its not what i normally read, but i would read it just because its an interesting twist on the whole vampyre thing

good luck :)

Guest Jennifer1
As an aspiring author, one who is very, very, very self-critical, keep in mind, here are some question I think might help, some things I would ask myself if that was my writing:

What is Rose like, besides being trans? Her personality, likes, dislikes, how does she act in different situations? Sometimes it helps if you write her in a bunch of different places, like at the beach, or in a classroom, or on a date, just to see how they would react, even if it's not going in the book. Also, how did she grow up, or have their been any special events in her life and how did this affect her personality? Same with Megan. Also, what is their particular dynamic? Who fills what role in the relationship? Rose is more dramatic, I can see, from hormones, I'm guessing, and Megan is the rock of support she needs. But expand on that throughout the book. Does Rose call Megan a lot, for example? Develop your characters to the point where the reader feels like they know them as real people.

Also, as far as the plot, I know that can be hard to explain sometimes, but I always like to have the end in mind, and at least one theme running throughout the book. By the end in mind, I can see you have at least part of it (or is the becoming a vampire the middle?) so you've got a start, but one very good author, John Irving, does this thing where he doesn't start writing a book until he knows what the last line will be, and then he pretty much writes it in reverse order, so that everything in the beginning takes you directly to the end. You don't have to do that, but it is important to know where you're going and why you're doing what you're doing. One of the other questions I wanted to ask was How and why does Rose become a vampire? It can take a while, but some of my books I've been able to write a complete plot outline; every scene from beginning to end, and how each scene affects the other, so that it (hopefully) forms a coherent and complete storyline. You sound like you have been inspired, which is awesome, but so far I think it needs more to really become a *novel* instead of just an idea.

So, overall, translady who becomes a vampire, I don't see why it couldn't be a good book I'd like to read. From the fragment you posted you have good ideas and good physical description, but I think you suffer from the same draft problems I do. I need to go over things a good five or six times before I do things like explain adequately, expand on paragraphs, etc. For example, that paragraph about Rose as Jonathan could be much, much longer. It doesn't have to be, but I'd recommend at least trying to double it. I have to do that all the time, 'cause I guess it comes out a lot more compact than I intended. That just makes people confused when they try to read it, though.

Hopefully I managed to do that nicely (lol, I meant it when I said I can be critical. Most of the time my self criticism is like, "This book sucks compared to Harry Potter! JK Rowling is so much better than you!" and then I have to remember that I don't have to be the richest author ever to be good, lol.) and I hope you stay dedicated and enjoy writing this. :D

Ok now i have time to give you a basic run down of what i have. First its already about 10 pages typed that part was just a very short part near the beginning. So the characters so far

Rose: Rose is a very emotional person and this is for multiple reasons which will be explained in the book. First being trans itself is a very emotional experiance, then you have the effects of the hormones. And finally her parents disowned her which shattered her. The reason Rose is so close to megan is because Rose sees her as the big sister/ seragate mother figure. Megan was the one who For lack of better words Put humpty back together. Personality wise she suspects shes evil. At one point she was convinced of it but megan keeps telling Rose that she isnt. She has had a suicide attempt as indicated by the scars on the wrist. It was megan who found her and since then megan checks on Rose alot. She is attracted to men, Mainly paul and Jacob. Rose is Extreamly loyal to her friends. Rose is also obsessed with cloths.

Megan: Megan is in love with Rose. At first it was a purly romantic love which confused her being that shes a lesbian. When Rose came out to Megan it was while watching a "Chick flick" Since then Megan has been showing Rose the Ropes of womanhood Over time that romantic attatchment has become that of a saregate mother/ sister. Though Rose is about the same age as megan, Megan is more mature while Rose is very impulsive and emotional. Megan is also very loyal at least to rose that is.

Paul: Paul is a vampire. He's fairly gothic in his looks. Long black hair and Red/ black clothing. Hes the bad boy, but not too bad. As vampires go he believes drinking human blood is ok as long as its given with permision. He wears a Cross that is gothic in nature and blood red in the middle. Oddly enough he was the original villan. But after writing him it became clear to me that he wasn’t evil he was just misunderstood by his brother. He is a member of the first generation. A hybrid form of vampire that can walk in the daylight.

Jacob: Pauls brother and also a vampire. jacob is blonde and sort of preppie. He keeps his hair short and wears brighter colors. Jacob feel guilty for relying on blood. He wont drink human blood at all. He understands that Rose does because shes a newborn but hopes that over time she will stop. He is also a member of the first generation.

Mr. Hoskins: Prolly wont play much of a role.

Mr. McDonald. The character is named after one of my favorite authors. In fact one of the chapters will be co authored by him. He is compassionate but stern when he has to be. He enjoys it when his students engage him in intelligent conversation. He is also a vampire hunter but not the type that kills without thought. He suspects rose is a vampre.

Ok now other info.

When bitten by a vampire the genetic code is rewritten and corrected by the virus. It uses the genetic code of the vampire who bit the victim as well as how the victim sees themselves as a guideline allowing individuality.

First generation of vampires. A hybrid royalty class. Able to walk in daylight and are quite intelligent and human in the way they act. Many have psycic abilities.

Second Generation: Vampires created by the first generation. The typical vampire.

Psycic vampires. Humans that rely on the energy of another persons emotions.

Well that’s about as far as I got to be honest.

Guest Zabrak

Read some novels - look at how they explain things when people talk to eachother. Not every sentence when people talk starts and ends with the their names.

Example:

"Yes, sir." Tschel swalled. "We've just received word fom the sentry ships, sir: the scouts have returned frm their scan raid on the Obroa-Skai system."

"Very good," Pellaeon nodded. "Did they have any trouble?"

"Only a little, sir - the natives apparently took exception to them pulling a dump of their central library system. The wing commander said there was some attempt at pursuit, but that he lost them."

"I hope so," Pellaeon said grimly. Obroa-Skai held a strategic position in the borderland regions, and intelligence reports indicated that the Republic was making a strong bid for its membership and support. If they had armed emissary ships there at the time of the raid...

Well, he'd know soon enough. "Have the wing commande report to the bridge ready room with his report as soon as the ships are aboard," he told Tschel. "And have the sentry line go to yellow alert. Dismissed."

"Yes sir." Spinning around with a reasonably good imitation of a proper militarty turn, the lietenant headed back towards the communication console.

I'm not a great writer myself, but I know when things bug me...and thats the over use of peoples names rather then getting creative with your structure. Sorry for any typos in that by the way - I was just lazily typing that out.