• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Your Favorite Album

Guest NatashaJade

I have a few

Germ Free Adolescents by X Ray Spex

Inflammable Material by Stiff Little Fingers

Duty Now For the Future By Devo

Subterranean Jungle by The Ramones

Dub Housing by Pere Ubu

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyndee

• Sally

• Paula ult

• Carolyn Marie

Guest ladyamy

1 Marilyn manson: Mechanical Animals

2 Secondhand Seranade: A Twist In My Story

3 Adam Lambert: For Your Entertainment

4 Jeffree Star: Beauty Killer

5 Lady Gaga: The Fame

6 Motionless In White: Creatures

7 Leona Lewis: Spirit

Some of my favourate albums, I have more but id be a long time.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tiffany_marie

Don't really have one favorite, some of my favorites in no particular order:

The Clash: London Calling

The Clash: self titled

The Ramones: Rocket to Russia

Jimmy Cliff: Wonderful World, Beautiful People

Desmond Dekker: 0.0.7 Shanty Town

Slayer: Reign in Blood

MegaDeth: Rust in Peace

Sloppy Seconds: Destroyed

Billy Joel: Piano Man

Bad Brains: Self Titled

Black Flag: Damaged

The Misfits: Walk Among US

The Vibrators: Pure Mania

The Adverts: Crossing the red sea with the adverts

Could go on and on, but that gives a general idea without having a sky high list. I basically really love Billy Joel, old trad ska, reggae, rockabilly, 1980's thrash metal and punk music.

I like the fast aggressive stuff quite a lot.

Guest Rachel Leigh

My best friend is a gay club DJ. I have a ton of CDs. All club remixes, dance remixes, mash-ups. I have about anything you can imagine.

I'm a DJ myself and would love to get a chance to hook up with your friend on music.

Speaking of favorite albums, I'm a hip hop girl most of the time. But I'm open to many different generes:

Juelz Santana - From Me to U

BT- Movement in Still Life

Apex Theory - Topsy Turvy

Bob Marley and the Wailers - Legend (I spent time listening to the entire album with my uncle when I was little)

Freeway - Philadelphia Freeway

Juvenile - 400 Degreez and Tha G Code

Alien Ant Farm - ANThology

Incubus - Make Yourself

Deftones - Around the Fur and White Pony

Staind - Break the Cycle

Michael Jackson - Off the Wall 12in LP

Guest Lacey Lynne

@ Everybody:

Thanks so much! You people really know your tunes! Like, music is my favorite thing ... period! How I love reading everybody's picks for their favorite albums.

While I love any and all music, sometimes I just have to get back to basics. All these bands you all list are great. Really.

For me, the rock of the 1960s and 1970s was IT!!! Truly, The Beatles were the hands-down mega-geniuses of the genre, no doubt. However, when all is said and done ... when the fat lady sings ... when the cows come home ... there is one band that REALLY rocks.

No, not Led Zeppelin. No, not Black Sabbath. No, not The Who. No, not even my beloved Beatles ... or even The Nuge for that matter!

When you want down 'n dirty rock 'n roll, only ONE band will do! NOBODY did it better, especially back in The Day:

Keef Riffhard for President!!! He was the heart and soul of rock's most pile-driving band and the centerpiece of the greatest rhythm section in the business and the engine that powered rock's most rockin' vehicle ... IMHO.

B) Lacey

CindyAnn77's gonna argue with me! Cool beans! I'm ready! Let's rock!

• Forum Moderator

B) Lacey

CindyAnn77's gonna argue with me! Cool beans! I'm ready! Let's rock!

Ok Lacey, I can not argue that the Stones were not GREAT. Have so many of their records, grew up with em in my ears and mind. They are a part of my soul, we were in the food fights of the LA Coliseum Stones gig. However I am gonna have to fire back with another real strong candidate and very worthy of posting here.

None other than the left handed genius Jimi Hendrix and the best album was "Are you Experienced". This was a master piece and way ahead of it's time (1967). :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUg7xl4kKUw

Peace

Cindy -

Guest Lacey Lynne

Cindy:

IMHO, that is one of the very greatest albums in rock history. Oh my God, the memories! Just months after it came out, I heard it again ... and again ... and again ... at a buddy's house in the neighborhood. Mind you, we're in our early-mid-teens, and THIS is the most radical thing we ever heard.

If there is any benefit to getting well along in years, it's the joy of retrospection: Looking back and seeing how everything unfolded ... often times in most unusual ways. In the Summer of 1967, I was an early teen who was majorly square. THIS album percolated in my subconscious like you wouldn't believe. Doggone if it wasn't the bellwether of things to come and the linchpin of my core identity. Back then upon first hearing it, who knew?

Fast-foward a mere 5 or 6 years, and my heart and soul is riding the last wave of The Haight-Ashbury Scene which, quite unbeknownst to me at that time, had indeed peaked out by ... The Summer of Love in 1967.

Yes, Cindy, THIS album more than answers The Stones. What's YOUR vote for the single greatest feat of musicianship on rock history? To me, there is no question about it. In fact, I rank this as one of the top three performances in music history ... period. The Top Three performances ever (IMHO) involved Johann Sebastian Back at the keyboard of a majestic pipe organ, Nicolo Paganini at the violin and The Man Himself at the Fender Stratocaster. This is a lousy audio and vid of that magic moment, but it's the best I can do at the moment. Rock's greatest act of sheer musicianship, right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G_Qd9gSzqk

Like, he was SOOO much better than any other guitarist that it was hilarious. Preternatural skill. We'll never see the likes of him again. Ever the maverick and free spirit, it thrilled me to no end that a black man was THE MAN on the guitar.

The proof is in the pudding, as they say: Four-plus decades later, and who is almost unanimously hailed as The King of the electric guitar ... and the single most brilliant musician of the 1960s? James Marshall Hendricks (in real life). Be proud, Cindy Girl. Doggone if he wasn't from YOUR fair city!

B) Lacey

Guest BrandonIThink

Ohh goodness I'm going to have to do some serious narrowing down here. I listen to sooo much music, and I hardly ever just pick a song or two off an album...it's the whole thing or nothing at all. In no particular order except that by which they come to mind:

The Hurting by Tears for Fears

Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, and The Final Cut by Pink Floyd (favourite band!)

Radio KAOS by Roger Waters

Days of Future Passed by The Moody Blues

If Only You Were Lonely by Hawthorne Heights

Led Zepplin IV

Rush Chronicals (yeah it's compilation, but an awesome one!)

....that's what comes to mind immediately. I like concept albums, can you tell?

Guest Groove_Ghost

I LOVE THIS THREAD :ThanxSmiley: I live for music!!!

Ummmmmmmmmmm my fav albums are kinda varied and extremely large in number, so I will post my top five!

1. David Bowie-Never Let Me Down

The one album Bowie has done that he pretty much disowns now, he even went as far as to apologise for it! No idea why, maybe he liked it but fan opinion has kinda ruined it for him :unsure: I think it proves that their was so much more to New Wave, more than the cheese and bad hairstyle, Bowie was the man to show that

2. Elton John-Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy

When this was released nobody could touch Elton or Bernie, they were on top of the world and had finally come full circle with their sound. Combining country, rock, glam and that inimitable Elton flair I can think of no other Elton/Bernie that betters this...............Well, Tumbleweed Connection comes close :D

3. White Zombie-Make Them Die Slowly

................................Wow, is all I need to say on this. Oh and it makes me sad listening to Hellbilly Deluxe 2 afterwards

4. The Smashing Pumpkins-MACHINA/The Machines of God

I challenge anyone to find a more beautiful, soul searching and achingly mournful album than this. It never fails to reach places of my soul I never knew existed, Billy Corgon is a true poet. By the end I am always in tears, speechless at what I have heard

5. HIM-Love Metal

The few happy memories I have of my younger years were all centered around this album. I had only begun seriously listening to music when I heard this and had to run out and buy it, when I did and played it, nothing mattered. Not my family making fun of me for not being "man enough" not my personal problems, nothing, just me alone in my room listening to Ville Valo.

Sorry if the list is a little but I love music and don't really have anyone to talk to about it.

Other mentions are: Paul Simon-Graceland, Fischerspooner-Oddysee, CKY-An Answer Can Be Found, Oingo Boingo-Dark At The End Of The Tunnel

• 1 month later...
Guest Exeter

I'm young, but I always prefer listening to an entire album rather than just picking MP3s. I collect CDs and have great respect for records and even casette tapes (as silly as that probably sounds to most people :P).

Actually, I find I've often enjoyed the album tracks better than the singles because they become more special to me. Fickle fans often only pick hits and discard the rest, meaning you tend to only hear those and nothing else, which makes me value the under-rated material more. Most of my favourite songs of all are actually not singles. I also like B-sides and rare tracks.

=== Some favourites ===

Depeche Mode - Black Celebration (This is my favourite of all, but I have to admit I love everything by DM, that's why I've refrained from listing anything else. ;) I'd just look silly. :blush: Although, my favourite era is 81-87... Speak & Spell to Music for the Masses.)

A-ha - Hunting High and Low

A-ha - Scoundrel Days

OMD -Orchestral Manouevres in the Dark

Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair

The Church - Starfish

I know my tastes in music are probably not shared by a lot, particularly kids my own age. :lol: I'm an '80s boy that was born in the '90s. :P

Guest DésiréeG

my top 5 albums have been basically the same for the last 20 years (there are about 20 albums in the 6-10 spots though)

5. Zebra - Zebra

4. Melissa Etheridge - Brave & crazy

3. Zebra- 3.V

2. Kansas - Point of Know Return

1. Melissa Etheridge - Melissa Etheridge

Strangely, this is terribly unrepresentative of my usual taste which is heavy towards 70s era hard rock, prog rock and heavy metal.

6-10 in no particular order: Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Camel - The Snow Goose, Deep Purple - Burn, Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti, Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door, Uriah Heep - Return to Fantasy, Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Blvd., Eagles - Their Greatest Hits, Eagles - Greatest Hits Vol. 2, Blind Guardian - A night at the Opera, Yes - Close to the Edge, Yes - Drama, Emerson Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery, Boston - Boston, U2 - The Joshua Tree, Roxy Music - Avalon, Neil Young - Weld... make me stop!!!!

Guest DésiréeG

Radio KAOS by Roger Waters

whoah! I forgot to add this to my list. I have never seen anyone else love this album like I do. When it came out, i got a promo copy of the casette from the record store I was working at at the time and I listened to it 40+ times in a row. I had it on in my walkman under my robes when i graduated high school. Most Floyd/Waters fans hate this album. or at least the very 80s production, but I adore it. When i was a college DJ, I signed off my show every week with Radio Waves.

Guest Groove_Ghost

I'm young, but I always prefer listening to an entire album rather than just picking MP3s. I collect CDs and have great respect for records and even casette tapes (as silly as that probably sounds to most people :P).

Actually, I find I've often enjoyed the album tracks better than the singles because they become more special to me. Fickle fans often only pick hits and discard the rest, meaning you tend to only hear those and nothing else, which makes me value the under-rated material more. Most of my favourite songs of all are actually not singles. I also like B-sides and rare tracks.

=== Some favourites ===

Depeche Mode - Black Celebration (This is my favourite of all, but I have to admit I love everything by DM, that's why I've refrained from listing anything else. ;) I'd just look silly. :blush: Although, my favourite era is 81-87... Speak & Spell to Music for the Masses.)

A-ha - Hunting High and Low

A-ha - Scoundrel Days

OMD -Orchestral Manouevres in the Dark

Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair

The Church - Starfish

I know my tastes in music are probably not shared by a lot, particularly kids my own age. :lol: I'm an '80s boy that was born in the '90s. :P

OH WOWWY I LOVE DEPECHE MODE :D

Black Celebration is an amazing album, I like to listen to it in the early hours of the morning with a nice glass of wine, its one of those albums you knock back in one, always goes down great!!!!!

Guest Exeter
OH WOWWY I LOVE DEPECHE MODE

Black Celebration is an amazing album, I like to listen to it in the early hours of the morning with a nice glass of wine, its one of those albums you knock back in one, always goes down great!!!!!

Cool! Another DM fan? :rolleyes::wub:

That certainly makes sense. ;) Sounds good.

I love listening to it and other DM albums whilst working on projects like writing. Somehow I always get a lot more done. B)

Guest Groove_Ghost

OH YAY when I was 12 and struggling to cope with myself I heard DM and everything seemed to make sense. Here I was listening to dark lyrics and stories of loneliness and isolation, but it was okay, everything was alright. They made me feel okay to be broken and perhaps too, a little off. After that when people would look at me strange for being girly I would think back to a few lines from DM and I would be able to cope through the day.

They got up on stage and showed the world that we shouldn't hide our imperfections and insecurities but rather embrace for it is those things that make us truly whole and allow us to reach our inner selves. :lol: sowwy for waxing poetic there

Playing the Angel is an amazing album, totally blew me away the first time I heard it. When I write I play it back to back with Gary Numan's Pure

Guest Emily Ray

I am a Pink Floyd fan! I like all their albums, but my favorite will always be Division Bell from the early 90's. That was a happy time in my life and their music really touched my soul.

Huggs

Emily

Guest Melanie Dawn

ok I have to add the one i have been listening to on a daily basis... while not good for PvP in wow i still listen to it while i kill other players...

Billy Joel-The Collection (both volumes)

Melanie Dawn

Guest Mina89

John Coltrane - Blue Train

Cara Dillon - Hill of Thieves

Fun fact: There were about 50 years between both release dates.

-Valerie

Guest Selena Soh

I LOVE music.

My favorite albums/song/artist

Twilight Dementia/Reasons to Live/Dragonforce

Fallen/Whisper/Evanesence

The Black Parade/Famous Last Words/My Chemical Romance

American Idiot/Wake me up when September Ends/Greenday

Talk on Corners/I Never Loved You Anyway/The Corrs

That's all that I can think of now.

Guest Exeter
OH YAY when I was 12 and struggling to cope with myself I heard DM and everything seemed to make sense. Here I was listening to dark lyrics and stories of loneliness and isolation, but it was okay, everything was alright. They made me feel okay to be broken and perhaps too, a little off. After that when people would look at me strange for being girly I would think back to a few lines from DM and I would be able to cope through the day.

They got up on stage and showed the world that we shouldn't hide our imperfections and insecurities but rather embrace for it is those things that make us truly whole and allow us to reach our inner selves. :lol: sowwy for waxing poetic there

Playing the Angel is an amazing album, totally blew me away the first time I heard it. When I write I play it back to back with Gary Numan's Pure

Wow that's exactly how I feel. No, it wasn't too poetic! You're really cool. :D I love listening to their darker songs whenever I'm in a bad mood. And songs like Black Celebration, But Not Tonight, Rush, and Mercy in You, always make me smile for some reason. :blush::wub: I feel like DM can be dark, yet somehow uplifting. Their poppy stuff is fun too and I love it, but ironically, I find the dark stuff helps me get through 'black days' better. :lol:

And yeah, Playing the Angel is great. :D I love it. It's what got me into DM. :D Since then, I've gone backwards from there to the '90s and '80s stuff. (Some of which I'd been unknowingly exposed to before-hand by an older relative) I love it all, whether poppy or depressing, and have been collecting my first CDs. (Probably sad, but I never could get stuff before)

I can understand how you must've felt with people mistreating you when you showed your real self. I feel the same way and actually DM has helped me come to terms with being a boy. (They're my heroes :rolleyes:) I think 'Wrong', one of the singles from Sounds of the Universe, actually fits being trans pretty well. Have you heard it?

And that's cool about listening to PTA and Gary Numan while writing! B)

(Oh and I'm sorry to the other people in this thread... I hope I'm not being bothersome! :()

Guest Groove_Ghost

Wow that's exactly how I feel. No, it wasn't too poetic! You're really cool. :D I love listening to their darker songs whenever I'm in a bad mood. And songs like Black Celebration, But Not Tonight, Rush, and Mercy in You, always make me smile for some reason. :blush::wub: I feel like DM can be dark, yet somehow uplifting. Their poppy stuff is fun too and I love it, but ironically, I find the dark stuff helps me get through 'black days' better. :lol:

And yeah, Playing the Angel is great. :D I love it. It's what got me into DM. :D Since then, I've gone backwards from there to the '90s and '80s stuff. (Some of which I'd been unknowingly exposed to before-hand by an older relative) I love it all, whether poppy or depressing, and have been collecting my first CDs. (Probably sad, but I never could get stuff before)

I can understand how you must've felt with people mistreating you when you showed your real self. I feel the same way and actually DM has helped me come to terms with being a boy. (They're my heroes :rolleyes:) I think 'Wrong', one of the singles from Sounds of the Universe, actually fits being trans pretty well. Have you heard it?

And that's cool about listening to PTA and Gary Numan while writing! B)

(Oh and I'm sorry to the other people in this thread... I hope I'm not being bothersome! :()

I can't believe I met another fan of DM who doesn't seem to think they are some throw away New Wave band, not that most of them don't have amazingly well written lyrics that most of us can relate to, but those types can't seem to handle that it was sung over a wonderful and danceable beat *sigh* :banghead: Because Ordinary World by Duran Duran is mere pop music!

I first heard of them when I asked my Dad who was singing that song, "Personal Jesus" on the radio and he said it was some stupid New Wave band. I thought it was weird he said that because it seemed to have a really deep message in my mind. Then later on I looked them up and saw a video of one of my favrite bands, HIM, covering Enjoy the Silence, well that was it!!!! :D If it was good enough for one Mr Ville Valo it was certainly good enough for this girl!

Then I got Playing the Angel and over six years later it is still a regular in my CD player!!!!

Their music has helped me more than my poor vocabulary can express, whenever someone would be ignorant or mean to me their music helped me. With their boundless talent even a simple melody line would make me weep and through wordless sounds it resonated with my soul and for a moment I felt a euphorc release, these men knew how I felt, they knew how despair truly freed you and brought forth such beauty in its true, incomplete form. :P Their I go again, I am working on a novel and it isjust as heavy handed and ham fisted, I love melodrama LOL

"Wrong" is an amazing piece, whenever the chorus comes on I plug in my Headphones, turn the volume way up and for a brief moment I am saved! I blow my ears out but it is worth it!

I really look forward to talking to you some more, you seem like a really great guy and an awesome person to talk about music with. If you don't mind a girl who can't stop talking that is! :P I do LOVE MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially Dr Steel and Happy Mondays, I mention them alot LOL

Guest Exeter
I can't believe I met another fan of DM who doesn't seem to think they are some throw away New Wave band, not that most of them don't have amazingly well written lyrics that most of us can relate to, but those types can't seem to handle that it was sung over a wonderful and danceable beat *sigh* Because Ordinary World by Duran Duran is mere pop music!

Yeah, I've seen a few people bash them on Youtube. It's stupid. One argument was about DM versus The Cure. And I think Duran Duran fans must have a reputation of fighting with Depeche Mode fans... and vice-versa... that's what I've picked up at least. And I agree it's annoying how people brush DM off as shallow and meaningless. But I do take solace in that they're more cool for being a cult band. I don't think they'd be as influential in the long run if they'd sold out for publicity and ended up as mainstream as Duran Duran or U2. This way, I think they've always got their own special place. I love '80s pop and some rock, but have to say Duran Duran has never really appealed to me all that much. :P I'm not insulting them or anything, though.

I first heard of them when I asked my Dad who was singing that song, "Personal Jesus" on the radio and he said it was some stupid New Wave band. I thought it was weird he said that because it seemed to have a really deep message in my mind. Then later on I looked them up and saw a video of one of my favrite bands, HIM, covering Enjoy the Silence, well that was it!!!! If it was good enough for one Mr Ville Valo it was certainly good enough for this girl!

Then I got Playing the Angel and over six years later it is still a regular in my CD player!!!!

I first heard them when an older cousin was hanging around a lot. I was about 10 or 11. He played some songs from the singles compilations (81-85 and mostly 86-98) and Violator, Songs of Faith and Devotion, and onwards. Funny thing is... :blush: silly me... I actually hated 'Just Can't Get Enough' when I was that age. Well, it just annoyed me at first, but then I think it grew on me and I pretended to still hate it out of principle. I loved Shake The Disease from the first time I heard it, though, and it's still a favourite song of mine. I remember liking Enjoy The Silence and Leave in Silence, as well. By 14 I heard PTA from same cousin and liked it instantly. I formed such an unusual attachment to 'A Pain That I'm Used To', 'John The Revelator', and 'Lilian' that I ended up realising I'd found my favourite band. They opened the door to a now immense love of music. :D

Oh and about your dad, :lol:, my mother doesn't like DM either... she had choice words she once said to me about them.

Their music has helped me more than my poor vocabulary can express, whenever someone would be ignorant or mean to me their music helped me. With their boundless talent even a simple melody line would make me weep and through wordless sounds it resonated with my soul and for a moment I felt a euphorc release, these men knew how I felt, they knew how despair truly freed you and brought forth such beauty in its true, incomplete form. Their I go again, I am working on a novel and it isjust as heavy handed and ham fisted, I love melodrama LOL

"Wrong" is an amazing piece, whenever the chorus comes on I plug in my Headphones, turn the volume way up and for a brief moment I am saved! I blow my ears out but it is worth it!

Me too -- Exactly :D Any time I'm depressed, lost, or angry their music has drawn me out of it. Certain melodies with the strong synth sounds can make me cry a bit too... which, yeah, being FtM, you'd think I wouldn't want to admit. :P But I don't care. I'm really emotional... about the right stuff. Cool, I've been working on a novel too. I just thought Wrong fit, really. I could relate to the lyrics a lot. It's my favourite song from SOTU. I have to admit I didn't care for the album as much as I'd hoped.

I really look forward to talking to you some more, you seem like a really great guy and an awesome person to talk about music with. If you don't mind a girl who can't stop talking that is! I do LOVE MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially Dr Steel and Happy Mondays, I mention them alot LOL

I look forward to talking to you too. :D Thanks for thinking that. It made me smile. And no I don't mind a girl who can't stop talking! :lol: I actually worry I'm too chatty myself if given the chance. I feel like I mention the same things a lot too... erm... :blush: like DM.

Guest Exeter

I suddenly realised something... I should've thought of this yesterday, but I was kind of out of it. About people disregarding DM as throwaway New Wave... those people probably aren't fans to begin with. ;) I mean, if they think THAT, then how can they call themselves fans? :lol:

(And I personally don't consider New Wave throw-away... but I guess it depends on the band. :D)

One thing I've noticed that annoys me to no end is a lot of the mainstream crowd who don't 'really' like DM, always say 'Enjoy the Silence' or 'Personal Jesus' were their only good songs. And even so-called DM fans only really like post '80s DM.

And the same thing happens to A-ha. A lot of people act like 'Take on Me' was their only good song or that they're throw-away pop. That's what annoys me... when people claim a band only has one good song and the rest are crap.

Oops... sorry for ranting about that. :blush::lol: I can get carried away sometimes... don't mind me!