• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

how many of you are musicians

Shay

i have been so surprised yet not surprised how many of my new lady friends are musicians. I have been a musician and songwriter since those darm british guys the Beatles bit me with the music bug on a Sunday in Feb. 1964. I have been in bands ever since, nearly signed with Atlantic Records because of a regional hit I wrote and sang but the band imploded. I am a lefty who plays left handed hofner violin bass and acoustic guitar and still love creating new in my studio. Because of you amazing ladies supporting me, in kess than a month, i came out to some friends, wife, and consulted on HRT and start next week and it is amazing how wonderful I feel for the longest time.

I am writing a new song I long like to share when it is ready. It is called "Where You Been So Long".

Love,

Shay

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shay

• Teri Anne

• Ms Maddie

• Jani

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dinaki

I want to listen to that songs.

Will it available in iTunes?

No but I will send it to you 

SaraAW

I’m a lefty who plays guitar right handed. Also dabbling on the uke, piano and just inherited a fiddle. Before I hit my first puberty, I could really sing, my voice broke in a not great spot between octaves and as result really turned me off singing for a long time. I’ve been practicing again and have slowly been increasing my range, but have a long way to go. Hoping it well help with vocal feminization too. 

Haven’t tried my hand at writing yet. I’d love to hear some of your songs. Do you them have up anywhere?

actually i have a sound,cloud account and i could probably send you some mp3 here or at an email. i qwill give you my email in a messsage  cant remrmber my soundcloud butci think it is my male name mike petee

Patti Anne

You can count me. I started playing guitar at 12. Self taught. From there, piano, bass and drums. I do some writing as well, but it's usually after a heartbreak of some sort. I have a studio in my house, but really haven't used it much. As time goes by, I will. 

• Forum Moderator
Susan R

I’m not a musician in any sense of the word. I played drums throughout my high school years at a friend’s house. My parents were always encouraging us kids to play an instrument but I was only interested in percussion and specifically drums.  I asked them if they would allow me to buy a drum set. They said, yes, as long as you don’t play it after dinner time (~6pm). My senior year, I saved up and spent $500 on a used Pearl drum set a friend had which barely fit in my bedroom. I played it whenever I could prior to my father coming home from work. He would always come home and have a few drinks before dinner. One day he came home an hour early and walked into my room. I stopped and asked him if it’s ok to continue to play. He said, “Oh sure. You play them pretty good.“  He goes upstairs to have his drinks and I start to play again. Three mins. later (no joke), he screams at the top of his lungs...louder than my drums, “Will you turn that  xxxx off!?!”

Needless to say, I sold them for $300 the next week and I’ve never played since...lol

Susan R?

KathyLauren

I like playing music, but I am not a musician.  I can learn the notes, the rhythms, the expression, whatever is written in the music or heard on a recording.  But I can't compose anything or improvise my way out of a wet paper bag.  I was playing in a band one time, a paying gig, and and one of my band mates yelled, "Take it away, <deadname>!"  I nearly died.  I didn't "take it away".  I just kept on playing the song the way it was written.  Afterwards, I told him, "Don't ever do that to me again!"

My mother tried to teach me piano when I was a kid.  That was a fail.  In high school, I played clarinet in the school concert band, and I kept it up in a military band when I was in the air force.  (Sneaky trick that: the base band counted as a "secondary duty", and got me out of other nasty secondary duties like being base garbage officer.)  taught myself a few guitar chords, and I learned to play the hammered dulcimer.  I recorded a CD of hammered dulcimer music, which sold about two copies. 

Currently, I play tenor sax in a community concert band.  I took a break for my surgery, but they then cancelled the rest of the season due to covid-19.

• Forum Moderator
Cyndee

I am happy to see so many music topics here lately on our forums :) Music is a universal language, and brings people together.

Growing up we had an old, i mean really old upright piano in our home, that I used bang on, I began to become interested in how the notes worked together, and taught myself some basic songs. I started playing guitar at 10, using my Mom's nylon string folk guitar she used in her teaching. Turns out I'm a lefty, and turned her guitar around the way that was most comfortable for me. Needless to say none of the chord fingering charts she had worked for me, so I had to improvise my fingering. Later I would become interested in the Bass Guitar and bought my first brand new 1978 Fender P (still have it) and practiced in my basement before joining my first band. I've always had a day job, but was able to supplement my income playing in working bands here in the Seattle area since the mid 80's as a bass guitarist. Even had the opportunities to open for national touring acts. I transitioned while in this one working cover band, and playing gigs as my true self was simply wonderful. The experience that saw my realization of a dream to be "a girl in the band". Nothing felt better then hearing someone yell out at this one gig "That lady bass player rocks !"......

Cyndee

Posted (edited)

omg i know another reason now why i was drawn to you ladies. I would love to share our music and colaborate when you might like.

if you would like to hear some of my stuff and perhaps cowrite and add stuff to tracks, PM me for my E-mail address:  maybe we can form the All Trans Band.. 

Edited by VickySGV
E-mail removed Rule 21 -- This is a public area.
  • Admin
VickySGV

I can play a washboard or a set of spoons with a lot of practice, but not really a musician myself, nevertheless I am one of the Founding Members of The Trans Chorus of Los Angeles.  My primary work is in-house audio engineer if needed along with sound recording.  The gang was part of a couple of Pantene hair product commercials last Christmas, and has been vocal back-up to several other artists in live performances over the last three years.  This is the best one that has played in 5 + countries we know about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UfSeCCpIA4

Posted (edited)

That means you are definitely a musician - sound engineering and back up vocals are extremely important and valuable - I'd love to send you some of my work - if you'd like let me know at <e-mail>

Shay

Edited by VickySGV
Rule 21
Tory Aoi

I'm so glad I found this thread.  I am also a musician, primarily instrumental not so much vocal myself.  I do a little bit of writing and I have a project that is focused on my experiences as trans that I recently started.  Maybe as I make progress with it I'll start a separate thread but here's a sample clip if anyone might be interested.  It's still rather rough, though.

https://soundcloud.com/tory-aoi/invisible-sample

Joslynn

I like to think I am I don’t believe my neighbors think so

• Admin
VickySGV
25 minutes ago, Joslynn said:

I like to think I am I don’t believe my neighbors think so

My neighbors have a favorite song they want me to sing ---- "Over The Hill And Far Away". 

Madelyn

I play guitar and piano some, but I love to write songs? well, I love to write in general 

• Forum Moderator

Very nice @Tory Aoi Thank you for sharing.

Jani

Teri Anne

I play guitar but build and repair guitars as a side line thing.

Used to play in a band years ago I blame the Beatles and the Stones for that.

Currently doing more melodic metal projects with a few friends when there is studio time.

I did a project with another friend a few years ago but he moved away and I never got a copy of the music.

Here is a pic of the rig I use at home

019 (500x334).jpg

wow...definitely a serious musician...how cool.. 

• Forum Moderator

Very nice gear @Teri Anne

I am not much into metal although I aprreciate any style of music done well...

I was just thinking about a Hamer left handed guitar I had that I sol to a young guy in Phoenix who was so knocked out that I had one because he was really into metal and had to have a right hander modified back then. The sad thing is I packaged it as unbreakable as I could and UPS still managed to snap the neck. I felt so bad for the young man.

Teri Anne

Sorry you had one break in shipping.

I have sold and shipped guitars all over the world and have been really lucky not to have any breakage issues.

I was big into vintage guitars ( 50's and 60's Fender and Gibson guitars) and bought and sold 100's of them.

Did guitar shows all over the mid section of the country and met some great artists such as Vince Gill. Johnny Cash and many others.

I met Dave Mustaine (Megadeth) at the NAMM show in Nashville Tenn in 2004 and we chatted over coffee for 30 mins or so. Very nice guy and very intelligent as well.

I have done roadie and guitar tech work for a few different bands and met many artists while out on tour.

Its hard work and not the most glamorous job but fun all the same.

I'm more a metal head but love all kinds of music.

how cool is that - that was the only guitar I ever had issues with in shipping.

The work of a roadie is under appreciated. I've had to do both load PA, set up and establish proper sound and perform and then....alas...tear down, pack up, uload and store. Although unfortunately I never did get a chance to go out on tour but I think I can empathize with the hard work - as we did do some 3 or 4 day regional things so I got a taste and as Silver said in a bitter sweet song .

Teri Anne

Yeah load in and load out was never easy then push on to the next show 500 miles away.

I was used to that lifestyle being an over the road truck driver for 40+ years.

Not actually performing in the band I still had to keep an eye on the band and if one of the guys had issues with an instrument I had to get him his back up guitar.

I got to play at sound check which was fine with me  so I dialed in the bass and guitar amps with the house sound guys. I occasionally would cut loose with some awesome riffage with the amps cranked up if it was an outdoor show.  Just a job but fun and hard work.

but I bet you LOVED it - if music is in your dna you cannot be without it in some way, shape or form...