• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

how many of you are musicians

Shay

Teri Anne

Yeah I agree once its in you its there for life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shay

• Teri Anne

• Ms Maddie

• Michellle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Forum Moderator
On 7/11/2020 at 4:07 PM, Tory Aoi said:

I'm so glad I found this thread.  I am also a musician, primarily instrumental not so much vocal myself.  I do a little bit of writing and I have a project that is focused on my experiences as trans that I recently started.  Maybe as I make progress with it I'll start a separate thread but here's a sample clip if anyone might be interested.  It's still rather rough, though.

https://soundcloud.com/tory-aoi/invisible-sample

@Tory Aoi Very nice piece Tory, melodically really picks up around 1 minute juncture and carries nicely to the end. Excellent ideas on the keys, I enjoyed listening....

Cyndee

Teri Anne

Very nice I enjoyed the track Tory.

Teri Anne

I can't get into my sound cloud acct but I posted something 7 or 8 years ago there.

Ms Maddie

I'm not sure who I was last time I put something on soundcloud

?

Teri Anne

I have played on a lot of stuff that ended up on sound cloud but only one on my channel.

Michellle
On 7/6/2020 at 1:25 AM, Susan R said:

I’m not a musician in any sense of the word. I played drums throughout my high school years at a friend’s house. My parents were always encouraging us kids to play an instrument but I was only interested in percussion and specifically drums.  I asked them if they would allow me to buy a drum set. They said, yes, as long as you don’t play it after dinner time (~6pm). My senior year, I saved up and spent $500 on a used Pearl drum set a friend had which barely fit in my bedroom. I played it whenever I could prior to my father coming home from work. He would always come home and have a few drinks before dinner. One day he came home an hour early and walked into my room. I stopped and asked him if it’s ok to continue to play. He said, “Oh sure. You play them pretty good.“  He goes upstairs to have his drinks and I start to play again. Three mins. later (no joke), he screams at the top of his lungs...louder than my drums, “Will you turn that  xxxx off!?!”

Needless to say, I sold them for $300 the next week and I’ve never played since...lol

Susan R?

You should start playing again. It’s a great way to let your frustrations out and burn calories...lol

Michelle

i agree and i need a drummer for the brand new AT Band (All Trans) Band. we are good on bass, guita and vocals, need a solid drummer and keyboard player.

Shay

Ms Maddie

I know a mtf drummer who I worked with for ten years.  She's stealth for many years though, pretty sure she doesn't do sites like this. 

Ms Maddie

Sorry read back further about Susan!

That's cool you played, even if you stopped.  Drums are fun!

• Forum Moderator
37 minutes ago, Ms Maddie said:

I know a mtf drummer who I worked with for ten years.  She's stealth for many years though, pretty sure she doesn't do sites like this. 

ya never know, giggling in the background could be heard....?

sometimes they resurface later, searching for community, not always, but often enough...

Ms Maddie

Wouldn't put it past her!!

However she changed before the internet, and doesn't even use text on her phone.  Perfect cover for a social media spy...

I played bass with her on over 1000 all-nighters.   I silently knew her status the whole time, because of someone in our past, but she never came out to me until after I told her I was trans 5 yrs ago.  She was surprised about me.

Michellle
2 hours ago, Shay said:

i agree and i need a drummer for the brand new AT Band (All Trans) Band. we are good on bass, guita and vocals, need a solid drummer and keyboard player.

Shay

That sounds great.  I’m currently looking for a Band. I would love to audition. I’m from Jersey though, where are you located?

Michelle

we are more of recording via dropbox at the present time. I hsve been working with Cyndee on originals and sending wave files.

i live in central ohio

• Forum Moderator
Susan R
9 hours ago, Michellle said:

You should start playing again. It’s a great way to let your frustrations out and burn calories...lol

I’ve considered it many times since. I’ve had a few opportunities to play also but we live in a two bedroom and right now the second bedroom where I’d love to put a drum set is currently our media/computer/reading room. If we ever ditch that purpose for the room, I might be able to bribe my wife..somehow! LOL I don’t see it happening anytime soon though. My life is busy enough right now but if I had the room...who knows?

Susan R?

Michellle
3 hours ago, Susan R said:

I’ve considered it many times since. I’ve had a few opportunities to play also but we live in a two bedroom and right now the second bedroom where I’d love to put a drum set is currently our media/computer/reading room. If we ever ditch that purpose for the room, I might be able to bribe my wife..somehow! LOL I don’t see it happening anytime soon though. My life is busy enough right now but if I had the room...who knows?

Susan R?

Oh, that’s too bad. I’m lucky I have a finished basement I can play in. It’s funny , my wife is very tolerant and supportive of my music but not my transitioning.... I guess you can’t have everything.. lol

I have been playing drums for about 350 years. I never took lessons. I never played in a band either. I have more beats than I can know what to do with. I tried jamming with people but, it very rarely was enjoyable. I am not good with structure. I just play for me and that has become a rare occasion at best. I guess my music is not band worthy. We can't all be in the band.:dunno:

• Forum Moderator
9 hours ago, Abi said:

We can't all be in the band.

Years ago as a teen when I had a drum set I played for me too.  Once I tried to play with others and froze up.  I wasn't good with structure either!   Oh well...

Teri Anne

Playing in a band is wonderful but has its issues.

Ego's tend to be the biggest problem and having some not talented enough and hold the rest of band back (can be awkword) but the joy of playing and for me - the experience of live playing cannot be beat EXCEPT when I'm recording.

22 hours ago, Jani said:

Once I tried to play with others and froze up.

I never froze up. I just wasn't a drummer that liked being fenced in by other musicians. I could fall in line and make the beats they wanted. It's just that I was not content with that and became bored with the experience. The other people needed a drummer that would keep simple beats and set the pace. I like to make beats that do not maintain a certain time. It makes sense that it aggravated other people, I just do not conform too often.  :)  It was my choice not to play with other musicians. I am happy doing my thing all alone.

that is fair - it is very important to know one's self and live by it. Our current drummer keeps the "simple" beat and then somehow adds bits and flourishes in the spots open for it and he amazes me every time I play with him in his creativity within a band context. 

Michellle
On 8/3/2020 at 2:24 PM, Shay said:

Ego's tend to be the biggest problem and having some not talented enough and hold the rest of band back (can be awkword) but the joy of playing and for me - the experience of live playing cannot be beat EXCEPT when I'm recording.

I agree, some people’s egos hold the whole band back. Me and my brothers always got along playing and recording together. It’s bass players we had issues with. I think they know they are in demand.

Michellle - there are 3 bass players here that are willing to add bass to any tracks you might have need of recording via dropbox.

Heather Shay

Michellle

Great ,thanks Shay. I’ll keep that in mind. All I have to do is learn how to record via Dropbox... lol

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 54 Guests (See full list)

• Noah A
    • JillPilled
    • MaryEllen
    • Zero hero
    • QuestioningAmber
    • Susan R
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    JillPilled

1. Lou10
      Lou10
      (45 years old)
    2. OhJay
      OhJay
    • JillPilled
      How's it going y'all? Hope everyone is doing well. I'm Jillian, a transwoman, 26, and mainly looking to discuss experiences here, and find a better way to network and get a wider breadth to really hear and talk about experiences in all the dimensions socially you can think of to participate in a community--particularly amidst the pandemic! COVID-19 displaced me from my ability to attend my in-person counseling for mental-health associated with feminizing, before I transferred into a separate online tele-health component that's been working efficiently with me for Planned Parenthood-- so this forum complimentary to that really seems from what I've been browsing just very early on to be essential :D!   Just to preface, I've known my identity for about 10 years now, and only recently without the past year began actualizing my transition (besides coming out to my dad/step mom about being trans-fem) with HRT/frequent blood tests and visits/later tele-health visits to my doctor. I live with my dad, step-mom, at the moment, and my father and mother are separated--there's a long-history there that is quite depressing that is way too much for an introduction, but long and short is it was a really strained and short-term (6 year-marriage) relationship. Unfortunately, and nothing looking back that I feel hatred for now but then it was largely unknown to me--but my mom has some issues with bipolar-depressive disorder which have been left unmedicated/treated for some time--likely over 20 years, close to my age. Additionally she holds some sharp views about gender, sexual orientation, and unfortunately even relationships concerning interracial couples (she's... quite bigoted honestly, and not one I would pick to be a representative of an actual good-person to my mind/Christian which she reinforced but held these practices which seemed contradictory and harsh views). Though, I'm agnostic so I'm not the best judge on that matter. Anyhow, currently, it bears noting I am also very much estranged from my mom, for those reasons since December 2014--and hence why I had to repress so much regarding my transition and depression while with her and facing abuse for not being sufficiently in the gender-category she wanted me to be--and saw me as lacking or 'a failure' in that part.  It was enough emotional-trauma/stress to not want to speak or see her ever again--alongside of trying to place me in Catholic related schools, institutions which personally I never felt content/happy with that decision made for me.   I was stuck in isolation in the middle of nowhere in central-Virginia for some time--I want to say 4-5 years, without a high-school curriculum (I was not enrolled, nor attended high-school... or was enrolled in any accredited outside course that could be considered academic--virtually stuck within our home with the resources I could find off the internet via an ancient laptop my dad was kind enough to buy me), and did not actually thrive in any capacity until managing to leave. And I'll just say I haven't found a way to fill a lot of the vacant parts of my brain wanting for explanation of that time in all the spheres, or let go of those really lonely times/experiences--stuck with being the only one to know who I actually was identity wise. Mainly, along the lines of 'why do I perceive myself as not right or unnatural when presenting myself in public' or putting on a personality that I KNOW is drastically more feminine and lovely in my view than this forced and fake male one that makes me feel as if I'm lying to everyone and me too. I see no meaning in it. Every time with relatives it was absolute pain--as with people I didn't know, and after quite some time I gave up on all that just within this past year.   Takes you a while to realize sometimes there's not a greater meaning to abuse or trauma in some contexts, and that just constantly me dwelling on it was ratcheting it into something way deeper and worsening my mental-state as I couldn't leave those times (PTSD). It's slow but realized change to reject there being a meaning to some cases, and to try to overcome with new ones/forget as best you can. Actually, funny enough, when I escaped that situation for the past 6-ish years it's been a massive hurdle to even tell someone trusted such as my dad/stepmom, as well as my boyfriend (while we were still just bestfriends) and a couple other good friends of mine that I'm trans--and while I had the answer it was something I held back for so long because of these prior experiences, and I did not too much besides academically 'catch up' during these times until I came out fully. Sure this is far more common than, once, my perception held towards thinking how entrapped, lonely that feeling was--rather, a kinda selfish thought of that surely no one else could know but that was DEFINITELY a case of 16-year old to 18 year old me thinking in a much younger and isolated lens, haha.   Are there any experiences recently that you feel like, personally, you've done well in creating for yourself or were positive in outlook--in the same capacity, perhaps, good ways to seek to move on from those that were negative to you--because I feel as if that's equally of valid or concerning in transitioning? Sorry, if that's a bit personal for just an intro., but! I do love talking with others about mental-health as well as identity, it can be nice to vent some about it to somebody--I've done more than my share to my boyfriend when he visits out of Toronto over here in Virginia, and over Discord calls we have together as of COVID. Love to meet and talk with y'all about yours, it's good to share or listen really in equal measure--I enjoy it a lot with all sorts of matters! Thank you so much for reading, and have a good day (I drafted this quite late, so not sure I will be up for a little while--night owl that I am but hope to catch up on other forum posts soon as well :>)
    • Noah A
      Hi @DonkeySocks. Thank you so much for your welcome. You are so right. That's what I've done with one of my best friends. She has been supportive, if a bit skeptical. She leans towards believing that this probably has other explanations, or at least making totally sure that is not the case. Can't blame her, she has know me only in my overfeminine phase.     Thank you for that. It's interesting that, no matter how much I know that is the case, I still doubt them. So it is a huge support to hear those words.       Hi @DeeDee. You have no idea (except you probably do) how reasuring it is that you share this experience in this way (not always knowing) and yet it is totally real and you've come this far. And yes, being honest with myself and self-acceptance and self-love are the goals. Each question and each answer may scare me, but they also set me free, and when I allow myself to think "I am not a woman and I do not need to be a woman" everything inside of me relaxes. It scares me, but I'm not letting go of that feeling!     Hi @Susan R. Yes! I have one. There was none in my area but I found them in Barcelona. I'm only two session into therapy but it has made a world of difference, in terms of being able to talk about this with an informed, neutral and non judgemental person. I actually am in this forum because I could put aside my previous "I am not trans enough" fear, and that's thanks to therapy. The awareness and ability to legitimize my feelings and reality has no price.   Thank you all for your welcome. It is felt and deeply appreciated. I'll do my best to be here for you as much as you are here for me.
    • Noah A
      Hi @sparky I can't talk from experience about coming out to a significant other, because I don't have it. What I can say is that, from my point of view, you've given yourself and your wive the gift of an open and honest relationship, the possibility of being your true selves with one another. I have no clue how it can turn out, but now it has the chance of being real and profound.  
    • RhondaS
      Struggled with that a long time too, besides all the other struggles. But at some point I thought I'd rather live the rest of my life as an ugly woman than any kind of man. And HRT helped me mentally almost right away, well before any physical changes. Yes, I still don't like what I see in the mirror, but feel significantly better than I used to (and it's only 5 weeks in). 
    • RhondaS
      Does anyone ever misgender back? I'd be tempted to do that, at least on the way out. "Thanks, sir!"
    • RhondaS
      Do you have a link for that quote from Harris saying she'll invoke the 25th? Google's not helping, and you'd think that statement would have made enough news to be found somewhere other than on this forum.   The only things google showed was Trump saying that Pelosi would do it to replace Biden with Harris.     
    • Susan R
      Hello @Noah A. It’s a pleasure to have you here with us. You are among friends here and are here to help you any way we can.   As @DonkeySocks pointed out...we’re all here trying to find ourselves. It’s a forum filled with real people with at least one aim of self-discovery. It’s a process that takes patience and time. You’ve recognized the fact that something needs attention or that an issue does exist...that’s why you’re here. Once the genie is out of the bottle, it never goes away completely. I can tell you first hand that denial, suppression and compartmentalizing your life does not work for long. Knowing the truth about yourself and accepting who you are, whatever that might be, is half the battle. The rest of the pieces eventually fall into place with good help whether it be professional or through resources that you stumble upon in you research.   You’ll here it often on this forum but it’s very true...you owe it to yourself to find a good therapist with a good understanding of gender identity issues. I don’t know how abundant those type of resources are in Spain but there are online services available and in some places right now online is the only method of service available due to covid.   I believe one can traverse these gender issues without a therapist but the more resources and support you have at your disposal, the better, imho. I think this to a great place to get started and hope to read more about you and your journey. I trust with a little effort, you’ll eventually get there.   Warmest Regards, Susan R🌷
    • Mia Marie
      Everybody is entitled to vote for who you want but I will not vote for someone, and I don't care what party they are from, and end up living in a socialist country with no rights at all to speak of. And if Biden wins Harris has already said at some point she will envoke the 25th amendment to take over the Presidency from Biden. You don't want her in full charge.
    • Robin.C
      This is something I struggled with for a long time and reading other stories, many have as well. There is a mindset in our beginning which is part of the dysphoria. We don't feel we are the person we believe we are and often any visual image we see hits that button time and time again. The best advice I have been given was that I want to be the best female version of myself that I can be. The same height, skin and body shape (although hormones will and do change some of our appearance) but the female version of me. Transitioning is as much about the emotional and mental changes that occur along with some physical changes. A therapist is a must to help us comes to terms of how we progress towards our goal of being our true self. This is a great place to begin as the advice and real world experiences are and have been invaluable to me. We as people come in all shapes and sizes and nobody is ever 100% happy with how they look, we all get by though. You didn't say if you have a therapist, if you don't you should get one as they can be so much help now and in the future.   Hugs Robin
    • gina-nicole-t
      Welcome @Bobbi Jo
    • Susan R
      Thank God you’re OK, Kylie. Septic is a monster. My father passed from an abdominal infection that went septic. It’s scary stuff. I will be sure to drink more water myself. I drink about 48-64 oz or water a day but also drink a lot of diuretic liquids...mainly coffee and tea. I used to be a strict 96oz. of water per day up until a year ago. I think I need to increase it again. I don’t want to get a UTI after reading your account.   Thanks for sharing this important news. It has brought to light the importance of water every day. It’s so easy to let it slide.   My Best, Susan R🌷
    • Susan R
      Hi @Lain, nice to meet you. Welcome. Good subject you’ve started.   Jackie stated something above that I agree with all the way. In the earliest stages of confronting gender dysphoria or gender incongruence of any sort, the focus is generally more on the physical aspects of transition. I don’t want to downplay any of that because it is still important for me today...almost as much as it was early in my transition. It has changed as my focus and understanding about what it is to be a woman has changed. Of course as you medically transition, changes will occur with your physical body that help considerably with your gender dysphoria but there will always be improvements you may desire.  Jackie mentioned several that she might like changed. I have a similar list..lol. Some aspects will improve while others may not. That part of transition is always a crapshoot. Your new look can help you eventually become more comfortable with yourself. Your perspectives during transition will change greatly over time. With proper professional assistance, it can even change faster in many cases. But eventually your issues with your physical self will decrease as you start to see your life through a different lens. If you ask anyone who has started transitioning, many, perhaps most will tell you they the changes were internal as well as external. Of those that have seen changes, I bet most would say that their self acceptance with their physical body has improved. There may even be a time in your future when these issues you now perceive to be a liability become irrelevant to your happiness or in rare cases, an asset.   My Best, Susan R🌷
    • Susan R
      @sparky Try to stay positive. That is a great initial reaction from your wife. Very few if any spouse is going to react much better than that after hearing this kind of news. It’s life altering in many cases. I would look at it as a very good first step toward becoming even closer to her than you are now.   My wife and I have a MUCH better relationship now than ever (and it was good prior to transition..her words) and I have to say it’s because now we can talk about anything under the sun without worry of judgement. I’ve learned more about my wife and vice versa in the last 2 years of our marriage than I did the first twenty. Think of it more as an opportunity for renewal with the whole person and not what you want her and the rest of the world to think so that you conform to their expectations. As @ElizabethStar mentioned...be honest with her and make sure the line of communication is always open between you two. That can be difficult when a spouse feels they have lost something important. Reassure her that they haven’t lost the important part of their relationship—the intellectual, compassionate and loving part of yourself.   My Best, Susan R🌷
    • Susan R
      Actually, I am happy to report that the text +/- works perfectly on both 2017 & 2019 iPads running iOS 14.1. The buttons only affect the text size within the post on each thread and has no effect on the text size on right side panel showing the previews of those posts. I’m not sure if it works that way on a desktop or not but that’s something I’ll likely check dow the road unless someone else uses a desktop for this forum and wants to comment. I rarely if ever use TP forums on a desktop.   It’s a very nice added feature, Petra Jane. I’m at that age where I use reading glasses after about an hour on my iPad. This may curtail that another half hour..lol.😁    Thank you! Susan R🌷
    • ElizabethStar
      It can be hard but your being honest with yourself and your wife. If she's being supportive that's a good start, keep talking with her. Don't be like me. I went the other way and hid almost everything until I couldn't. I almost lost my best friend and destroyed my marriage.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.