• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Banishing My Facial Hair

Guest NatalieRene

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paula ult

• MaryEllen

• Sally

• Carolyn Marie

Guest NatalieRene
I wanna take a look at that remedy as well.

Facial hair sucks.

Which remedy? The herbal one from earlier in the topic or the stuff that possibly colors the root of the hair along with the hair itself? If you mean the former don't waste your time or money herbal won't help. If you mean the dye, let me know how it works. I would be interested in using it for the hairs I have that survived the laser sessions so far and have grown back white. Maybe it will give me the chance to zap a few more of them in the upcoming last 3 sessions I have paid for in my package deal. :D I know I'll have to mop up the remaining hairs with electrolysis but the less of that I have to do the better. :D

Oh and speaking of hair removal the hairs have started to noticeably come out from my second session. I noticed quite a few from my chin and upper lip falling out while shaving so I'm a very happy camper. Two Thursdays from now I have a free in between session to zap the muzzle area of my face since that is the area that takes the most to get rid of the hair. By the time I get started with my hormones I should hopefully be just about done with facial hair removal and moving onto my eyebrows and then later my skimpy amount of body hair that needs to go.

Guest SusanKG
I just got back from my 12th laser treatment, I had the lady kick the laser up to the highest setting she could and I actually smelt the hair burning. then I had her adjust the laser for the blond hair on my upper lip. The last session cleared the most up to date so I'm hoping and praying this session got rid of the last dark hairs on my chin.

Plucking facial hair didn't work for me when I first wanted to transition in my twenties I tweezed my entire face and that actually caused my beard to grow in more dense. After I started my transition I bought an epilator and used it for my first year because I did not think I could afford laser. I was on HRT while depilating but the gist of it is the epilator did not work for me all it did was cause me a nightmare of ingrown hairs and caused the laser to not work as well for the first six months. Therefore under no condition do I recommend plucking facial hair. My dermatologist told me all you do when you pluck an hair is signal to the follicle to start growing a new hair. Defeating the purpose of laser or electrolysis.

Now I would like to see this recipe of herbs to research there effects on hair growth so please PM me the list of herbs and let me see what I can figure out about them.

Thanks Ladies with Love

Charlene Leona

geepers Aurea you make a claim like that then vanish oh well maybe one day you might wish to share

Perhaps she is off brewing up a huge batch and a business distribution plan? Watch your inbox.

Susan

Guest krisspykriss
There are 3 hair growth cycles.

Anagen, this is the growth cycle 80 - 90 % of hairs are in this phase and lasts 3 to 7 years.

Catagen, this is a transitional phase where the hair stops producing pigment, this hair is pushed towards the surface as the new hair is formed 2 - 3 % is in this phase

Telogen, is the final phase 10 - 15 % of hair is in this phase, this period lasts 3 months.

My laser tech who is also a Dr said not to expect to see big results till after the 4th session.

Paula

It depends on a lot of factors. All my hair on my neck, cheek and sideburns was gone ecept a few stragglers after the 3rd treatment and I saw noticeable results after the first treatment. My chin took two more and I still have a small patch of light growth. My upper lip though still doesnt want to go away grrrr. Anyway I have my 6th treatment for my whole face in January. If I need to buy another package it will be for my upper lip only. I might just opt for electrolysis there instead though since the laser hasn't been that effective.

The things have in my favor are almost all my hairs are black or dark red and my skin is light, pinkie, and kinda translucent. My beard density was pretty high, I could grow a very full and dense beard just one year ago. Now I could grow a mustache.

Anyway, everyone's results are gonna vary. Heck mine are vary a lot just from one spot on my face to the next.

Guest Erin Quinn

Just wanting to get some basic info for you sweet ladies :) I'm hoping *fingers crossed* to start getting my facial hair done after the start of the year, but I have no idea which way to go. My facial hair is fairly dark and i'm pale as day :P however, I'm worried about any burn (and i even heard bruises) laser might cause, due to work. So I was thinking of going with electrolysis. Which way do I go...so confused, and which will cause less problems in the work place?

Thanks in advance

Guest Donna Jean
Just wanting to get some basic info for you sweet ladies :) I'm hoping *fingers crossed* to start getting my facial hair done after the start of the year, but I have no idea which way to go. My facial hair is fairly dark and i'm pale as day :P however, I'm worried about any burn (and i even heard bruises) laser might cause, due to work. So I was thinking of going with electrolysis. Which way do I go...so confused, and which will cause less problems in the work place?

Thanks in advance

Hard call, Baby....

I do electrolysis.

I go Saturday mornings and any redness and such is pretty much gone by Monday morning....

I can't really say about Laser though...maybe someone who is doing that will post here....OK?

Huggs....

Donna Jean

Guest Charlene_Leona

Erin I think you will want to start with laser with the description you gave you sound like an excellent candidate for laser. I am of mostly Irish decent and my complexion is casper white and I have yet to get burned with laser. You just have to make sure you get an ice pack on your face right after treatment and where I go they do that as soon as they put down the laser. From what I understand about electrolysis is you will end up with red bumps after a treatment.

Charlene Leona

Guest krisspykriss
Erin I think you will want to start with laser with the description you gave you sound like an excellent candidate for laser. I am of mostly Irish decent and my complexion is casper white and I have yet to get burned with laser. You just have to make sure you get an ice pack on your face right after treatment and where I go they do that as soon as they put down the laser. From what I understand about electrolysis is you will end up with red bumps after a treatment.

Charlene Leona

I agree. My skin is pale and hairs are dark. Most of my haor was gone after three treatments. My upper-lip is still there thick as can be grrr. Anyway, I sunburn easily and I have not had one problem with laser over the course of 6 treatments.

I tried thermolysis first since it was cheaper per session and more permanent. The technician said she was doing electrolysis (should have known better when there was no ground used). Anyway, she burned my neck and I still have a few scares left. I don't recommend it at all. It is the "prefered treatment method" for transsexuals, however because of hair density it is easy for the technician to fry your skin. Electrolysis works less efficiantly, but you wont find people with scares from being burned from it either. I am not the only transwoman who has been burned by thermolysis.

anyway,

hugz,

Chrissy

Guest NatalieRene
I agree. My skin is pale and hairs are dark. Most of my haor was gone after three treatments. My upper-lip is still there thick as can be grrr. Anyway, I sunburn easily and I have not had one problem with laser over the course of 6 treatments.

I tried thermolysis first since it was cheaper per session and more permanent. The technician said she was doing electrolysis (should have known better when there was no ground used). Anyway, she burned my neck and I still have a few scares left. I don't recommend it at all. It is the "prefered treatment method" for transsexuals, however because of hair density it is easy for the technician to fry your skin. Electrolysis works less efficiantly, but you wont find people with scares from being burned from it either. I am not the only transwoman who has been burned by thermolysis.

anyway,

hugz,

Chrissy

Whats thermolysis? Is that a different type of laser then typicaly used?

Guest krisspykriss
Whats thermolysis? Is that a different type of laser then typicaly used?

It is much like electrolysis and is often advertised as such (that's how I got bit). They stick a probe in the hair follicle just like electrolysis, but instead of sending an electrical charge to the root, it emits a microwave pulse. This pulse has a wider field of effect and is fine with GGs because they dont have the hair density a transwoman does. IF done right, it works better because the wide power envelope kills the adjacent hairs as well. The area of affect is about an eight inch or larger radius. If done wrong by doing hair adjacent to one another, the same area gets hit by the microwave pulse multiple times, burning your skin and leaving scars.

One way to tell the difference is if you are holding a grounding device, it is electrolysis. If you dont have anything to hold in your hand as she performs the procedure, your getting thermolysis for sure. I would not get thermolysis myself, and if you chose to make sure she has experience doing transgendered patients or get up and leave. It is not work having poc marks and scars when there are other methods.

Hugz,

Chrissy

Guest NatalieRene
It is much like electrolysis and is often advertised as such (that's how I got bit). They stick a probe in the hair follicle just like electrolysis, but instead of sending an electrical charge to the root, it emits a microwave pulse. This pulse has a wider field of effect and is fine with GGs because they dont have the hair density a transwoman does. IF done right, it works better because the wide power envelope kills the adjacent hairs as well. The area of affect is about an eight inch or larger radius. If done wrong by doing hair adjacent to one another, the same area gets hit by the microwave pulse multiple times, burning your skin and leaving scars.

One way to tell the difference is if you are holding a grounding device, it is electrolysis. If you dont have anything to hold in your hand as she performs the procedure, your getting thermolysis for sure. I would not get thermolysis myself, and if you chose to make sure she has experience doing transgendered patients or get up and leave. It is not work having poc marks and scars when there are other methods.

Hugz,

Chrissy

Interesting. I think I might need to do electrolysis on my chin as well as my upper lip. I've noticed that a bunch of fine hairs grew back on my chin and are as white as they come. They aren't as dense as the original darker hairs I had on my chin but they are still somewhat dense. You can't see them well from a distance but they are noticeable up close. Laser doesn't have a chance in hell of zapping these white hairs. Once my last three laser sessions are completed and I plan to wait a few weeks to give the hairs time to come out and then start electrolysis to clean off the rest of the remaining hairs. How much progress can be done in an hour?

Guest NatalieRene
Currentrly just had the 4th session of laser to the face. It stings burt the results are worth it.

Yeah it stings but thankfully the sting is very short lived and by the time I have walked out of the building I'm not hurting at all. My third session is in three weeks and right now my facial hair is significantly reduced. There are patches where the hair is completely gone but mostly it's thinned out and what remains has either gotten very fine or hardly grows at all. I think after this third session I will start to feel more smooth skin on my face then in a very long time. I'm so happy. ^_^

• 4 weeks later...
Guest NatalieRene
I saw ads on TV, that you buy your own laser and do the hair removal yourself at home. Has somebody tried similar? Are these equipment effective?

Hugs,

Lily

I would not suggest that. The lasers that the clinics and doctor's offices use are very powerful and potentially dangerous tools that require training to be able to use in a safe and effective manner. I don't think a laser bought from a place advertising on tv would be powerful enough to work effectively but could still pose dangers if improperly used. I would suggest that if you can not afford laser or electrolysis to let you facial hair grow out for a day and then tweeze it. You'll damage some of the follicles and the majority that survive will grow back a little slower. It will take longer but I'm sure it's much safer then some laser sold as seen on tv.