• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Watching "transamerica" With My Wife

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

It ran on HBO last week and I DVR'd it, so my wife and I sat down to watch it last night.

Our verdict was, "Two Thumbs Up!"

Yes, it had its flaws, and stereotypes, and some scenes just didn't seem right (the peeing in the roadway scene - after years on hormones, how did Bree have an erection?).

But overall, the acting was excellent, and it had enough truths to make it worthwhile. Both of us enjoyed it, and more importantly,

it was great to share the experience with my wife. Those are always important, and precious. :)

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

ive heard of this movie but ive never seen it. what is it about exactlyy?

A 40-something transwoman about to have SRS has to take a road trip from New York to L.A. with her unsuspecting teenage son.

As you would expect, they have a few adventures along the way. Watch for Grahame Green - a small but wonderful role.

Carolyn Marie

Guest KimberlyF

It ran on HBO last week and I DVR'd it, so my wife and I sat down to watch it last night.

Our verdict was, "Two Thumbs Up!"

Yes, it had its flaws, and stereotypes, and some scenes just didn't seem right (the peeing in the roadway scene - after years on hormones, how did Bree have an erection?).

But overall, the acting was excellent, and it had enough truths to make it worthwhile. Both of us enjoyed it, and more importantly,

it was great to share the experience with my wife. Those are always important, and precious. :)

Carolyn Marie

I know a few full timers who want to keep 'it' and they've said it's a little smaller but works exactly like before. I didn't get into details as far as their meds and stuff cause I talk about peeing way to much w/t girls, but I think this is another case by case as to the results. These women have both been full time for a dozen or so years so maybe that makes a difference too? Maybe the mental aspect matters a little too and the meds make this less involentary. I am thrilled with what happened to me after 3 weeks on t blockers but these girls would hate it.

Kim

Kim

Hi Carolyn,

Sorry I missed it on HBO. Saw it a few months back with my wife and had almost the identical reaction. Do you know if it will repeat on TV again?

Love, Kat

I watched it on Youtube some while back. You might still be able to find it there.

Personally, I didn't like it too much. I don't remember all the details though.

Guest Jean Davis

I'll have to agree, that moviue was really good. :D

If you have the chance Carolyn also watch "Soldier's Girl", that one was also a very good movie. ;) Though the ending was kinda tragic, had me crying both times I watched it.

LUV

Jean

My wife and I watched it shortly after I came out to her and I must say we both enjoyed this very much. The song in the end, when the credits roll, "traveling through" by Dolly Parton really hit a note with me and I have since downloaded it. I find this song very true to what I am going through in my transition.

"So good bye little children,

good night you handsome men,

farewell to all you ladies and to all who knew me when,

I hope to see you down the road, you meant more than I knew

as I am traveling traveling traveling traveling traveling thru"

My favorite part of the song.

Definately give this move two thumbs up!!!!

Luv Nadine

• Admin

If you have the chance Carolyn also watch "Soldier's Girl", that one was also a very good movie. ;) Though the ending was kinda tragic, had me crying both times I watched it.

LUV

Jean

Yes, I did see it Jean, and thought it was excellent. The actor who portrayed Calpernia was really good. The ending made me cry, though.

The song in the end, when the credits roll, "traveling through" by Dolly Parton really hit a note with me and I have since downloaded it. I find this song very true to what I am going through in my transition.

Luv Nadine

I liked most of the soundtrack, and plan to buy it if I can find it.

Carolyn Marie

• 1 month later...
Guest Jennifer RachaelAnn

I have to see this film....and I just LOVE Grahame Green!

Donna Jean

I have to agree there. Grahame Green was amazing in Dances With Wolves.

It's kind of funny this thread was resurrected at this time. Transamerica is the next movie in my netflix queue, so I should be able to see it early this week. I can't wait.

Jenny

• Forum Moderator

Just got Transamerica from Netflix but haven't watched it yet. I hope to do so in the next couple of days

John

I try not to watch movies like that at this moment. Tends to remind of what im still trying to accomplish and then I get depressed. :/ I will watch it later maybe :x

Guest Robin Winter

This movie was excellent. I saw it almost a year ago now, and loved every minute of it. I understand those who are reluctant because they feel like they aren't moving forward themselves, and I did get a little depressed myself for that reason, but there was one scene (sort of a spoiler, so you may want to stop reading right here), right at the end of the movie after she gets the SRS, she's laying in the bath and the look on her face just perfectly captures how I know I'll feel when my time comes. That scene pops into my head every time I think about my own surgery, and gives me a little hope, ya know?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Donna Jean

I was not at all fond of this film... it seemed a little contrived

Oh my......

Now I HAVE to see it with so many conflicting opinions on it!

Huggs

Donna Jean

• 2 months later...
Guest erinanita

I thoroughly enjoyed "Transamerica". I saw it several years ago in a theatre when it first came out. I went to it all by myself.

I actually envey those of you that say you watched it with your wives because even though my wife is supportive she won't watch a trans movie with me. I think I'll buy the movie the next time I see it in the store.

Luv, Erin

Just watched it and thought it was done pretty well. Brought a tear to my ear seeing her go through everything on her journey, but of course with a Hollywood happy ending. Still, all in all, not a bad movie :)

Cyndi

Guest Wulfhere

I watched it on youtube, but unfortunately one part was missing (the part where her son finds out that she is trans, so basically jumped from his not knowing to knowing without seeing how it happened) and that bathtub scene that someone mentioned was censored. Given all that, I still liked the film. It's good to see trans films that don't have tragic endings, or that don't place trans characters in a negative light.

My first GT appointment was a few weeks ago. When I got home, Transamerica coincidentally came on TV. I took it as a sign. But, I thought that she made quite a few bad and risky choices along the way - in real life it probably wouldn't have gone so well for her - I hope to make better choices and have a trans without all of that drama!

Love, Kat

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Doodlen

I watched this movie for the first time a few days ago. I really enjoyed it.

I liked the way they didn't sugar-coat it. I find a lot of movies try to glorify things, but this movie seemed... honest? I think that's the word I'm looking for. It showed the good times, and it showed the bad times.

We were actually talking about movies we've seen recently at work yesterday and I brought up that I'd just seen this movie and my boss had seen it too so we had a really neat discussion about the movie. ^_^

• 2 months later...
Guest samserpentine

For anyone who wants to watch this amazing film, novamov.com has an online version i watched :)

Edited by Carolyn Marie
Link to movie deleted, as film is not rated Pg-13