• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

First Time Shaving Your Legs?

Guest Elizabeth K

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tracy_j

• VickySGV

• Charlize

• CamilleR

Guest Kaylee234

I read somewhere that shaving in the bath is a bad idea, because your skin absorbs some water and puffs up. The result is that when you get out of the bath, your skin un-puffs and your shave isn't as close as it would have been otherwise. I haven't really tested this theory, though. I usually shave in the shower, though occasionally I do shave sitting on the side of the tub and then take a bath afterward.

I've been thinking about buying an epilator, because shaving every 2-3 days gets tedious at times (other times I love this part of my morning routine, go figure) Does anyone with epilator experience have any good advice on which device to invest in?

~ K

• Forum Moderator

I'm not really fond of shaving but like you i do love the look and feel of smooth legs. I usually shave but do on occasion use my wife's epilator. It is quite effective, somewhat time consuming and painful esp. on the upper leg.(really painful on the tummy). Kind of like plucking your eyebrows on steroids.

As to brand i'm not sure. She got hers in the 60's. I would recommend getting a good one. I've done some repair work on hers and they are precision machines if properly built.

Buzz on.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest LizMarie

Kaylee almost any epilator in the $30-$100 range is a good place to start. Personally, I use an Emjoi Sin Dolor and have been very happy with it thus far. It also has an electric razor attachment if I want to do a quick touch up somewhere. There are more powerful epilators around but I felt comfortable with this one as my body hair and leg hair was never really heavy anyway.

I currently shave my legs weekly. My routine right now is epilate first. Regular epilation plus HRT appears to have slowed and thinned my body hair growth. So I epilate first.

Next I take a shower and use an exfoliating loofah sponge on my legs. I find that these sponges do a good job also in loosening some in-grown hairs.

Then I shave my legs. I use a Headblade on my legs. The Headblade was from when I was shaving my head trying to be more macho but it is designed for curved surfaces like the head... or legs! I never cut myself if I follow the rules of the Headblade, which is basically to keep the rear wheels on the skin. If I do that, I never have the blade approach the skin at an angle that would cut the skin.

After I exit the shower, I shave my face, as I find that time in the shower seems to soften beard hair allowing a closer shave. (Now I'm just waiting to start with E3000 in December and begin to remove this facial hair!!)

Guest meagan

Before the HRT I shaved every single day. I did not mind having to shave, but Doing it every day is work. I had a cheap epilator that was more like a piranha. I celebrated starting HRT by getting a better epilator. I took advice from girls I know and read some reviews on a few and went with Braun Silk Epil 7. It is a dream machine! It never bites at me, has many attachments and gets the job done very quickly. It was 100 dollars give or take and with slower growth cycles I have smooth legs for about 2 weeks before doing a touch up. First epilation hurts most at you have every hair to pull. After that it is about a 3rd of the hair each run. Praise be to my epilator!

Guest BeingMe

I've used women's razors for many years now, and now those with 5 blades! hah. A shave so close you have to wait for the skin to grow back first :)

In all seriousness... some of you mention epilators. Have you tried at home laser treatments? I've been using the Silk'n Sensepil for some time now and believe you me, it works. A relative of mine helped get these medical devices approved for use in the US through the FDA. The device is safe and effective in my opinion. I've noticed significant reduction in hair on my legs/abdomen/chest when used as directed on a setting of lvl 3-4 once every 2 weeks for the first month then 1 time per month thereafter. The cartridges, which are disposable, last about one full body session or possibly two, depending on how much you laser each time. One cartridge per month is a safe bet, but it will likely last you 2 sessions. I believe each cartridge says it should last 750 pulses. Given the area of the pulse, thats quite a lot of lasering. The device isn't terribly cheap and the cartridges are $45-50/ea on amazon or other websites. Wait long enough between uses and the hair will eventually grow back, so it is not 100% permanent.

I've noticed significant reduction in in-grown hairs, the hair is finer or is gone from those areas lasered, and I only shave one area every 2-3 days and that isn't terribly necessary - just a preference to keep it all smooth.

Just something for you all to think about - all my best

Guest Allyda

Really great post and tips on shaving. Though I've never been very hairy, I did have trouble cutting myself when shaving my legs. Nowadays though I have personal lasers and a pulse light device that with time and repeated use has done wonders -even with what little facial hair I had (I'm Native American) for I have gotten rid of all under my arms, all from the top of my feet and hands, most from my legs, and nearly all from my face (facial hair repulses me in a way it's hard to describe nicely). Just make sure ladies if you opt to try these devices you have the proper skin/hair color combinations for them to work, and especially I stress this for my friends out there who are older and may be dealing with some grays, obtain the charcoal dye for it helps with those stubborn and gray hairs. You do also have to shave first and make sure you have a cool wet rag handy for it will burn in delicate areas. Also, I've been at it for a year now and expect to be for another before I won't have to shave anymore (you'll still have to shave between each two week treatment but hair becomes finer and finer until it's gone completely). I have heard, and am hoping after I start HRT it will help with this.

I still have to touch up shave though between treatments where I still have hair so I thank you for this post. And I agree, shave softly girls, not hard. I found that out the hard way. :thumbsup:

Allyda

Have any of you tried conditioner instead of shaving cream? (Sorry if that was already mentioned)

My water heater has been broken for a while, so my process takes a bit longer now, but i use a warm wet washcloth to wet the area, apply conditioner, and shave with a 3 blade (5 blades give me bumps). I keep the washcloth handy to wet the area or clear away any hair remnants.

The end result for me is awesomely silky smooth legs with no roots showing for 2 days!

• 3 weeks later...

If you go to a high school where you have P.E. every day and must change in public locker rooms, how would you go about hiding/excusing shaved legs? I don't swim or lift weights, so those are out. I really want nice smooth legs, though! =(

I'm assuming you're not 'out' at school. If you don't mind lying, just say "My girlfriend likes it; you should try it". Or if you're brave, just say "Because I like it".

I'm about to start as soon as it's long sleeve weather so I don't get funny stares at first (just in case I cut myself badly). If anyone asks, I'm planning on just saying "because I like it". It really helps when you're an adult.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Raven Moon

I really want to wax, now if I could just find a TG friendly shop.

There's a waxing place by me that does men and women's legs, arms, and whatever, so I don't think it matters. I shaved my legs, but I want to get my arms waxed this week… and the rest of me too!

I have been shaving my legs for a year and got to where I wear shorts to the stores and really don't care what the person behind me thinks. No one has ever said a single thing. Its healthy to quit trying to control what other people think :) From Home Depot construction types to Grocery store mommas, not a peep. I used to notice and judge when i saw it on men but never said anything. Now I realize they simply had the courage I lacked... Just be yourself.... Most people won't remember your legs 30 seconds after you are out of sight and if you are worried about friends, wear long pants or come clean to them, right?

Hugs

Michelle

Guest Raven Moon

I was at my ex wife's the other day, and I had shorts on, and I could see she kept looking at my legs while we were talking. She's used to them being hairy. I haven't come out to her or other family members yet, but our eight year old daughter was telling her I had painted my toe nails, which my daughter thought was cool. :)

I just shaved mine right now, actually. Counting the pre-shave with my old, now unused, beard and mustache trimmer, the whole process (including a nice shower) took two hours. Yikes. But I got my arms and everything while I was at it.

I have had doubts about my feelings, and uncertainty as to where my transition is going to take me, but after seeing my bare legs, I have a few less doubts. I like it. A lot. Pajama pants feel very nice now.

Guest Raven Moon

I just bought myself an epilator. Haven't gotten it yet though…. should be interesting. Ben shaving my legs for a little while, but didn't want to shave my arms.

• Forum Moderator

I found an epilator to be a great tool. I borrow my wife's at times. It can be pretty painful on different areas, but it does a good long lasting job. Just watch out for the tummy hairs they really made me yowl.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest Raven Moon

I found an epilator to be a great tool. I borrow my wife's at times. It can be pretty painful on different areas, but it does a good long lasting job. Just watch out for the tummy hairs they really made me yowl.

Oh I bet! I have a fairly high threshold for pain, but I'm expecting ouchies. It will be here today… I'll start on my arms and leave the rest for another day. lol

I just bought myself an epilator. Haven't gotten it yet though…. should be interesting. Ben shaving my legs for a little while, but didn't want to shave my arms.

If you wouldn't mind, please let me know what brand/model you get in PM and let me know if it works well. I'm worried about not spending enough and getting a bad model, or spending too much and getting a bad model; I'm just worried it's not going to work.

Guest Raven Moon

If you wouldn't mind, please let me know what brand/model you get in PM and let me know if it works well. I'm worried about not spending enough and getting a bad model, or spending too much and getting a bad model; I'm just worried it's not going to work.

Sure, it's a Emjoi Divine Hair Remover, and it was $28.95 from Amazon/ShaveNow. It's a cute pink and white. :) It uses 3 AAA batteries, and apparently you can get an AC adaptor, but I didn't see that on the website.

I got it today, and decided to use it on my arms/hands. I'm half Italian, so I'm moderately hairy (boo!) but not as bad as my brother, praise the Goddess.

OK, first reaction; OHMYGODTHATHURTSLIKEHELL! lol But after a couple of minutes it wasn't so bad, and/or I lost the feeling in my arm. Actually once the longer hairs are gone it doesn't hurt much. But imaging having dozens of hairs plucked in rapid succession. Fun time! It has two speeds, ouch and ouchier. Actually I used the high speed, since that worked best. The lower speed was just urinating the hairs off! The things we do to stay beautiful!

But my arms are so wonderfully smooth and soft now, and I forgot what nicely shaped wrists I have! ;) They are a little raw though, and some small red dots showed up later in the evening. I put some aloe lotion on them, and they feel better. Interestingly, it left the thin white hairs that I can hardly see.

I tried it on some stubble on my legs, which were already shaved, and it didn't seem to do anything. Probably not enough to grab on to. I tried a few moments on my chest, and it worked well, but by that point I was done with self inflicted pain for the day. It truly is a mediaeval torture device! But eventually I'll try it in some more locations.

A close friend of mine, who is a lovely trans lady, poo poohed the epilators and said I should shave or get electrolysis, but I'm saving the electrolysis budget for my face, and didn't feel like shaving my arms. They say this keeps them hair free for 3 weeks or so.

So for it's purpose, I think it worked very well, and is fairly cheap. It seem well made too.

Guest Raven Moon

OK, so two days later… my arms have broken out in numerous places, where obviously the follicle has been distressed somewhat.

10012074886_e331768a4b.jpg

10012069666_bd2ac3a266.jpg

Hopefully that will clear up soon. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JayGray

I got the same epilator. My regrowth seems to be rather quick, and I've been OCDly plucking the strays with tweezers. Apparently, I have a pretty high pain threshold; the only places that were really bad was the inside of the elbow, the bicep (yup, Nordic), the thigh, and the whole torso. Oh, and behind the knee ... that one was painful and tricky.

I have one of those mid-evil torture devises too. We sneer at each other. I haven't used it in a long time though. I am thinking of charging it up and trying again now that my hair is thinner and softer on long term HRT. Back when I was doing the ritual, I found if I used Nair Max to get smooth once and waited for the chemical irritation to pass, then used the epilator as the hairs were shorted less dense and growing back it was far less painful. Not all hairs grow at the same rate so there was less hairs being plucked per pass. Be very careful with chemical depilatories though, the chemical burn can get very nasty if you don't follow the directions exactly. To use the Epi on my face I had to shave first and then epilate as it grew back for a few days to get it all gone. That is so not pleasant too, but can be done. I learned it from others.

As for the red bumps and irritations, using the aloe is good. Straight from the plant is best. When the red settles down, sooth your skin with Witch Hazel, but not when you are so sore. Hope you heal up swiftly. Hug. JodyAnn

Guest LizMarie

Raven Moon, my own reaction to the epilator was like that early on, but continued regular epilation plus HRT has changed my body hair sufficiently that I stopped having those sorts of skin reactions afterwards. You may want to give it a bit of time. Or you may want to chose some other method for dealing with that hair.

Guest Raven Moon

OK, so two days later… my arms have broken out in numerous places, where obviously the follicle has been distressed somewhat.

10012074886_e331768a4b.jpg

10012069666_bd2ac3a266.jpg

Hopefully that will clear up soon. :unsure:

it did, more or less. :mellow: it keeps getting better.

Guest Raven Moon

I got the same epilator. My regrowth seems to be rather quick, and I've been OCDly plucking the strays with tweezers. Apparently, I have a pretty high pain threshold; the only places that were really bad was the inside of the elbow, the bicep (yup, Nordic), the thigh, and the whole torso. Oh, and behind the knee ... that one was painful and tricky.

Actually that's probably hairs from a different growth cycle. I ended up shaving some parts of my arms after epilating, and those are growing in fast, and you can see the blunt ends, but the epilated (plucked) hairs have not retuned yet.

If they seem to be growing back fast they have probably been snapped off, instead of pulled out. If the hair is blunt, snapped. Fine at tip, new.