• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

First Time Shaving Your Legs?

Guest Elizabeth K

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tracy_j

• VickySGV

• Charlize

• CamilleR

Guest Katrina Reann

My suggestion before hopping into the shower the first time to shave your legs is to first take barber trimmers to your legs. ONce you have done that apply baby oil to your legs followed by Vaseline lotin. let that set in about 15 mins...then hop into the shower (or I prefer a bath with a good amount of baby oil in it.) soak for a bit and let the pores open upen. then sud up with a good body soap like Suave or dial and start shaving one section at a time. I prefer to use the Schick Qauttro (sp?). My legs and body hair usually come out silky smooth for 2=3 days but have to shave by the 4th day.

As for that facial hair gain I use the Schick Qauttro (Again sp?) And I prepare my face ibn the same manner....baby oil first. then lotion...and lather up with Ivory bar soap. I have a a pretty heavy beard growth and when I do this I can go for 6 to 8 hours before starting to notice any stubble. This is not a long term solution to facial hair if you do this 2 or 3 days in a row you will have a lot of nicks and scratches as facial hair seems to be more wirer. But it works great for me a day out with the girls.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DeannaD

I used to shave my legs on and off when I was in high school. Then I shaved on and off after college but stopped completely for years. This year I have started staying smooth all year and love smooth legs. I recently started using an electric hair remover, Remington, and used it the third time today. It is starting to not hurt so much. I am happy the hurting stage is waning.

• 3 months later...
Guest JordynK

I just started shaving my legs a couple of weeks ago. First time I did it, I didn't trim and just did a dry shave cuz I wanted it off at that moment. I had a little razor burn, but not too bad. Now when I shave, I do it in the shower. I just lather up with some soap and use a triple-bladed razor. I've gotten lucky, absolutely no nicks or cuts at all.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest plasticspoon

Shaving is horrifying lol. But so is homework, air travel and talking to your crush for the very first time. You just need to tackle into it :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jennifer_m

i shaved my body for the first time ever last week. i like how smooth everything is, but today i noticed my thighs are covered in ingrown hairs. crud. :thumbdown:

Guest CandySweet

I've been using the Epilady coil hair remover for years on my legs. It pulls the hair out from the root and has the same result as waxing without the mess. Hair grows in soft without stubble. Of course, for those who have not waxed before, this will be very painful but after continued use, an Epilady will hurt less and less.

For girls with very dense growth maybe shaving is better, but since I have light growth it works for me.

They stopped selling the Epilady coil hair removers in the US because women found it too painful, but you can still buy them on EBay for under $50.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest paulam

I use a Schtick xtreme with three blades and sensitive skin foam. Very smooth and long lasting,luckily my hair grows quite slowly and is fair and fine.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jennifer_m

been spending more time shaving my legs, and i think i'm getting the hang of it, but it's still no quick 10 minute job.

but, i have a shaving question.

how do you shave the flat spot under your knee caps? my knees look like i've been on the ground doing some naughty things. :blush:

Guest Sarah1967

I remembered when the first time I shaved my legs they were nice an smooth and a day later I thought I was going to die from the itching it was torture what it was, that was years ago I have been shaving my legs for years now every time I am in the shower I will go over them with a razor an when I take a hot bubble bath with baby oil with the water I will shave my legs .The baby oil helps keep my skin from getting dry. :)

Guest CandySweet

I never shaved my legs but used home waxing kits instead. At that time it was called Zip Wax and you would just buy some and heat it in a stove and when it was warm and gooey, spread it on your legs and let it set, then rip it off. No fabric stripe were needed. It definitely hurt a lot the first dozen or so times, but your body does get used to it, because now I use an Epilady coil hair remover and I don't feel any pain whatsoever, and the hair on my legs has gotten thinner and less dense over the years.

Of course, waxing and Epilady are options for the less hairy among us, because I think with very hairy legs, shaving is a more realistic option because if the hairs are too dense, waxing or Epilady would be simply too harsh.

If I have a date and want to be fairly hair free on my legs, it takes about 10 to 20 minutes with the epilady. That definitely is a huge improvement over waxing, because waxing takes an hour or two with a lot of heating and clean-up with the wax etc. And Epilady is faster than shaving too; however, I still dread doing it and it feels like such a chore. But I guess I should be grateful that my legs are relatively hair free after a few minutes with the Epilady.

I wonder how hairy genetic women's legs are on average, because whenever I see a girl with her bare legs showing they always look totally hairless, without any sign of stubble. Should I feel that mine are now comparable to women born as women, or are their legs even less hairy? I just get some mild growth on the outside of my thighs and mild growth on my lower legs.

Guest jennifer_m

i actually don't mind the time it takes to shave my legs, i find it to be a relaxing thing, instead of having to shave my face... maybe it's because nobody sees my legs, or because i really like the feel of shaved legs, i don't know... :lol:

• 5 weeks later...
Guest 19jas84

wow thats alot of info, i have very touchy skin. if i put the wrong thing on i break out into hives or get rashes from trying to shave to hard. i got sick of trying to find other ways to shave so i just started waxing. It does hurt at first when your ripping the strip off in certan areas but it feels better almost instantly after words. im kind of an odd ball though too, i have a very high pain tolerance so i tend to go to the extreame with alot of things.

there is alot of great info on this and i am so greatfull that i have found this site!

Guest new805gurl

So I shaved my legs and rest of body for the first time the other day, and they felt very goodbit the next couple days I thought I was gonna die from itching and irritation. Just wondering how often you girls shave your legs? I still have red bumps in places though. And any tips on hard to get areas?

Guest jennifer_m

So I shaved my legs and rest of body for the first time the other day, and they felt very goodbit the next couple days I thought I was gonna die from itching and irritation. Just wondering how often you girls shave your legs? I still have red bumps in places though. And any tips on hard to get areas?

I do my shaving in the tub. When I shave, I start at my feet, working my way up to my knees, all the way around. Then for the thighs, it's pretty much the same thing, except I sit on the side of the tub. I don't push too hard and I try not to go over the same place more than once.

Some people will think I'm weird, but I shave against the grain. Haven't had problems with ingrown hairs since the first time I shaved. If I get that fire-itch, I usally slap some water or moisturizer on it, and that seems to help. Moisturizing my legs makes my jeans stick to my legs though. Can't win them all I guess.

Hope it helps. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest notajanedoe

Mmm.... I remember being twelve and trying this (puberty hit hard!) but was warned off by the, uh... bloody mess I made of myself. And the fact that it would be wierd. (Amazing how easy it was to be scared away by just that little thought... any 'sign' I might've given was terrifying.)

Started again, just before I started up on this forum, actually. Again, I, uh, well, my lack of practice showed! Jeans were murder the next day, until I managed to go out and grab some lotion.

It feels better, now, though, and it has a sort of appeal to it. A kind of affirming ritual! I think I'll sort of miss this once it gets to be little more than habit...

Guest gats2b

(6) Please - never bear down hard, it doesn't help make the shaving closer. Use a very light, feminine touch. Closeness in shaving comes from repetition. I suggest you shave at least three times in the same session, varying the direction and length of the stroke slightly each time. This light touch, repetitive approach eliminates cuts and scrapes.

Oy...I don't know why it took me so long to learn this lesson. I guess I had unrealistic expectations of being *perfectly* smooth..but even cis-girls don't have that. Lighter touch is definitely better. I shave every 2-3 days and it works perfectly.

• Admin

You are going to have to modify your shaving technique if it is more than just a couple of hairs. Shave with the grain, IE if the hairs grow downward, you go hip to knee and knee to ankle with the razor. Do use a good shaving gel to get them up though.`Your hair may grow in a different direction so look at them carefully and adjust shaving accordingly.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Leslie Michelle

I shave pretty much everything every day. I might skip a day on my legs but seldom 2. I love being smooth. Arms, legs, chest (fortunately no back hair!) and underarms. Skintamate shaving cream works great along with the 5 bladed razor. My favorite part is after, my wife makes an oil blend with almond oil, vitamin E, and all kinds of good stuff. Mix that with 3 squirts of the lotions that OPI makes. (there are several yummy scents like Hibiscus flower or Jasmine) heavenly! The only part that can be a problem is a tendency to get ingrown hairs in the bikini area. Anyone have tips for that? I've tried shaving, waxing and Nair. None are better than shaving.

Guest Deenah

The first time i shaved i used skintimate cream and twin blade razors. I found that the key when starting to shave for the first few times was to shave the way the hair falls or lays. This way i didn't get ingrown hairs like when shaving against the hair. I did this for a week or so, then i started shaving from my ankles up to get a nice close shave.Before i start, i wash my legs good so there is no chance of an infection.. I never use the same razor twice, rinse after every stroke, and take my time...say that again...Take your time.. It really stings when you cut yourself up.

After some time i have gotten it down to 10 minutes not including other areas.