• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

First Time Shaving Your Legs?

Guest Elizabeth K

I've been doing it in secret since my early teens.

I just used Barbisol and a disposable razor on my legs. The men's shaving products tend to be vastly cheaper than women's and at least as effective. Now I have a fancier razor that works better, and a subtle perfume overpowers the scent of the shaving cream. My arms and underarms I can do in the shower without any extras.

I have also been blessed with hair on my feet. I use Nair on that since I haven't found a way to shave it yet that leaves me with the same number of toes I started with. :blink:

-Valerie

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tracy_j

• VickySGV

• Charlize

• CamilleR

I remember when i first shaved my legs, i was in the both with the razor and at this time of my life i was shaving my privates parts. Ive always shaved them but i was like liet just do the rest so i did and ive never gone back. Im smooth now hehe.

TIP: (works for me) i use cheap blue gellette razors (20 in a pack) on my legs and used the gellettte pro glide on my face and a second one for my private part but i still find it hard to shave that bit between the Bum and testicles sorry about that bit :S as now ive got a shower not a bath.

Guest tiffany_marie

This was always something that I did on the rare occasion growing up and needless to say I wasn't very good at it.

Have been doing it on a regular basis these past weeks, getting better.. haven't cut myself once since picking back up. On the other hand... well still not very good at it.

Will feel like I did a nice job, only to dry off and notice stray hairs here or there still.. very annoying.

Still not very good at doing the back of my legs either, but slowly getting better.

Guest April63

Will products like Nair cause the skin to break out at first?

They shouldn't, but as the products recommend, you should try it out on only a small patch of skin first to make sure nothing happens.

Oh oh oh! Nair for me is torture. i followed the directions and it hurt, burned and left a nasty rash. My skin is not a fan. I like shaving my legs. Something about it just feels right, therapeutic. I recently went for my first waxing and am in love with the ultra smooth results i got. Next wax session will not just be a full leg, but arm pits too.

Guest JaniceW

All dipilatories use some harsh chemicals to destroy the hair. Some people are sensitive to these chemicals more than others, but everyone will get burned by them if you don't follow the instructions carefully. Also don't use them on any part of the body except where the label says it is OK, you will suffer chemical burns if you do.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

I don't remember if this was posted or not.

During the cold weather season, if you must shave your legs (and I can totally understand if you'd want to, despite the weather). Go ahead and take the time and shave really well. Once you're out of the shower, pat your legs dry with a towel (don't wipe...pat). Then slather on some moisturizing lotion on your legs and slip on a pair of sweatpants for a few hours.

It will make your legs super soft and totally touchable.

Guest brandi78

I know that when I shave my legs, the thing I try to do is make sure that I keep my skin tight so that I will only be cutting hair and not skin. The knees and ankles are my toughest place to shave. I try to keep my knees bent to tighten up my skin so I dont knick myself. My ankles are also aggravating to shave but as long as I keep my skin stretched I seem to have alot less nicks & cuts.

Ouch, I wonder if I just cut myself or if....

ouchiee, that burns ... yep I cut myself again!

oh well its worth it to me, just take your time & dont get in a hurry

love all of yall

Brandi

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Syrra

Personally, I use a depilatory lotion with skin softeners on my arms AND legs....20 mins then "BAM!" into the shower. I touch up with a fresh, sharp razor between uses. Use it about once a week and only need to touch up another couple times a week. Saves me time, though it's a touch more expensive. People that don't know about me know that I'm on a huge tattooing binge so they think, for now, that's why I do it. lol!

• 1 month later...
Guest Brittany S

I shaved my legs just last night and I was laying in the bathtub filled with water and the Skin So Soft bath oil and for the first time ever I didn'ert cut or even nick myself. With the oil in the bath water the razor seemed to just glide across my skin. So I don't know if it was the oil or if I am just getting better, either way I think you should give it a try

Guest ~Brenda~

I shaved my legs just last night and I was laying in the bathtub filled with water and the Skin So Soft bath oil and for the first time ever I didn'ert cut or even nick myself. With the oil in the bath water the razor seemed to just glide across my skin. So I don't know if it was the oil or if I am just getting better, either way I think you should give it a try

Hi Brittany :)

Why don't you post an introduction in the Intro forum and let everyone have a chance to greet you to Laura's :)

Love

Brenda

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kylie666

I just shaved my lags today and I guess I am getting better as I did not cut myself anywhere this time, but most the time I cut myself like 5-10 times hahahaha

It's really cool I am starting to feel like a real woman 'even if I don't fully look like one'

Now if I only had the money for laser for my face :(

Guest Jenny K.

I recently saw a "Spray-On, Shower-Off" product in the store that I wanted to try out. The instructions say to spray on the area of hair you want to remove and wait three minutes. The stuff smells terrible :P You can either spray it off, or use a washcloth to remove it if necessary. Well it WAS necessary, but even then it didn't remove all the hair, some of the courser stuff was still there so I ended up using a razor to finish anyways. As for breaking out, it didn't happen to me, which is good because I have enough acne to worry about as it is. :(

Gillette makes a really nice electric/power 5 blade razor. It works great and its fairly inexpensive too. I think I am going to have to buy some more replacement blades since I still seem to cut myself every time I shave with the disposable ones. And I have only shaved my whole body 4 or 5 times now.

Btw, great tips Julie! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sarahwr

Hi.

I hope you don't mind if I switch this subject to the top end of our bodies rather than the bottom.

I'm afraid I still have to shave my face and, because I want to rather than need to, I do it twice a day.

I have used the cheapie "throw away" razors and also the move expensive multibladed razors.

However I feel none of these give me what I want. The cheapie ones are probably better than the expensive ones but no matter how I try I always seem to have patches of short stubble left.

The hairs seem to grow at all angles of my chin so I have to shave each part through 360 degrees.

What in the USA is considered the best razor please?

What is an epilator please and can it be used on ones face?

How many hair removal sessions would one have to have to totally remove ones beard please?

As for my legs, after my shower I sit in the bath and run a cheapie razor over them every couple of days and that does me fine.

Best wishes,

Sarah

• 1 month later...

i just shaved my legs last night, for the first time, and it went so well! I trimmed all the long stuff off with an electric facial hair trimmer, then shaved with a gillete razor i have. No cuts at all! My calves both went perfectly, but i have so much body hair, the only problem i ran in to was trying to get my thighs completely done lol im gonna give my thigh area another go tomorrow

Guest AlexisD

The way that I shave my legs is I wash them first, then use body wash to create a layer around the ares which I'm going to shave and then shave one leg at a time. I should also mention I only soap up the leg that I am going to be working on before going onto the other.

Guest AlexisD

girls, has anybody got any advice on creams or gels to use after shaving?I want something which stops the stinging and rashyness that smells feminine!

Lubriderm

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Felicia Anne

i've recently discovered aveeno daily mositurizing lotion, and it has done wonders for my skin. and i like the smell of it, that faint hint of oatmeal. i smell like a cookie!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 4rossy

I just shaved my legs first time in 5 years, its is something u want to keep up with, it kinda burned after but felt good in stockins. The best razor so far is gillette fusion it works great