• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Things you can get from va

Guest audrey michelle

Guest audrey michelle

Hi just wanted to let everyone know that today I found out that not only will the va provide hrt, but they will also provide up to 6 bras with breast prosthesis (forms), and speech therapy training. Thought others might find this as useful as that is what I am getting in addition to my hormones from the va here in tucson.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lonelysadie

• Alyssa Deutsch

• Charlize

• Jani

• Forum Moderator

That is a good deal of help. I hope you are able to take good advantage of the services provided.

Hugs,

Charlize

• 2 weeks later...
Guest audrey michelle

You're welcome. I had no idea either until I met with the social worker who does the group for transgender patients here in tucson and she asked me if I'd be interested in these things. Figured other would benefit from this information as well

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Kenna Dixon

I'm at the VA Medical Center only every six months or so, and I continue to be impressed with the progress being made regarding the treatment of transgender patients.

I haven't bothered to take advantage of the option to have my name and gender pronoun preference changed in their records, and I'm in male slob mode when I go there. My primary care physician recently transferred to another facility, so today I met with the nurse and then was connected by Skype or a similar program to a doctor who was fifty miles away.

I didn't know that the endocrinologist had labeled me female in his file, and this new physician - an older man - was exceedingly respectful and asked how he should address me. And he told the nurse it wasn't necessary to have me remove the t-shirt I had on underneath my flannel shirt. He merely asked if I had experienced any breast tenderness.

Guest LesleyAnne

Well sadly, from what I've been told it is to the discretion of the facility where you go. They have carte blanch as to the interpretation of VA obligations to the transgender patient.

Houston DeBakey, and their satellite clinics in Conroe Tx,, and Tomball Tx will only offer HRT, and nothing more.

Texas VA plays to local sentiment of minimum help is better.

Guest JaneShannon

I think saying the "VA offers" implies a level of responsiveness the VA doesn't do. If it's a documented VA benefit they will give it to you. However, the individual vet is responsible for making the VA provide the service.

I think you can get what you want from the VA, but you will have to force there hand a little.

Guest LesleyAnne

TAVA informs us on their website that the actual document is vague, and warns that pushing too hard at your local VA could result in them pushing back.

The old adage "You attract more flies with honey than you do with vinegar" might hold true here.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest alissa16

Wow!! thank you for most useful information! I have VA coverage but had no idea!! Thank you again for taking the time to tell me that.

Love, Erica

Hi just wanted to let everyone know that today I found out that not only will the va provide hrt, but they will also provide up to 6 bras with breast prosthesis (forms), and speech therapy training. Thought others might find this as useful as that is what I am getting in addition to my hormones from the va here in tucson.

Guest alissa16

I've been thourghly jazzed by hearing this info..Next day got blood work done @the local VA out branch but got run around and put on the back-burner.I'll have to wait until March 4 for a skype session with a Dr. Cortez to get the ok to start up with HRT. THIS DAD BURNED BALL IS SOO HARD TO GET ROLLING!!

• 1 month later...
Guest alissa16

Well its a known fact how slow the VA moves...I do have an in person(surprise!)session with a therapist on Friday..
Iam curious as to what quality of HRT med will I be getting from the VA.??
At present I do estradot patches..spiro, and datagen.
I know the dutasteride isn't available from stateside pharmacies so...definitely not going to be getting any there.
Will they provide a script so I may get it filled elsewhere or is it a take it or; leave it deal?

Edited by alissa16
Dosages deleted per the T & Cs
Guest LesleyAnne

Alissa............

I would love to see a followup post on what they do for you, and what they prescribe for you.

I could use all the ammo I can get to show the VA in Houston (actually Conroe TX satellite office).

I wish you the best my dear!

Keep us posted,

Love LA

Guest ToriLynn

The VA in Houston told me that they will cover HRT, voice therapy etc. They will not cover GRS however, but what they will do is help you with the required letters that are needed for GRS. The only problem is that, as with everything, it takes a long time to get anything done. I have been trying to get back on hormones through the VA now since Oct of last year and still have not seen the endocrinologist and was told it would probably be Feb at the earliest. This is due to the fact that the VA does not have a set program for Transgender vets and that doctors have to work us in to their existing schedules.

Hugs

Tori

Guest alissa16

Well..you gals are the ones who equip'd me with this ammo!...so I have a copy of VA Dir 2013-003 and have been going thru and highlighted what I think might be important when I see the therapist Friday and the shrink in March..

What to me are the most important clauses; #3 Policy..blah blah that necessary care is provided to enrolled or otherwise eligible intersex and transgendered Veterans including hormonal therapy,mental health care, preoperative evaluation.. . ..

4. Action

a.blah blah

b.more blahs

(1)transgender patients and intersex individuals are provided all care included inVA's medical benefits package including but not limited to:hormonal therapy,mental health care... .

A-4

a. A diagnosis of GID or other dysphoria condition should be the basis for prescription for cross-sex hormonal therapy for transgender patients.....

A-3

B. For treatment plans that include cross-sex hormonal therapy,VA clinicians must, consistant with requirements of informed consent(VA Handbook 1004.01, discuss the risks, benefits, and limitations for cross-sex hormone therapy....

a. Cross-sex hormonal treatment is used to reduce or eliminate gender dysphoria and other symptoms related to the discordance between a transgender or intersex individual's gender identity and their biological sex at birth or the gender they were assigned at birth.

A lot of blank space in between some of these statements..But you can use the above to find my highlights..Its a good start..

• 1 month later...
Guest Danelle

Thank you very much for the wonderful news. I can't wait to make an appointment with my PC provider and get the ball moving. I have been dreaming of this day for years, well before getting out of the service. I have wanted to find out how I can get started on HRT and were to go. I have been looking in on this for years now and thought it was just way to expensive for me to even think about. Now I might be able to stop my self medicating.

Thank you again for this outstanding news.

huge hugs.....

I asked my PC at the VA if our hospital does any trans-care outside of HRT, and he didn't know. He called the social workers and left a message on their machine, but no one has ever followed up with me on it. Do you all think I should see my PC and ask again, go see if I can walk in and meet with a social worker at the hospital, or ask my endo when I see him/her in hopes they might know? I'm a bit lost as to how to proceed without antagonizing people.

Jenna

Guest alissa16

Its kinda funny..All this talk of being more productive, caring, modern..No; this is still the same ole dinosaur

with only an updated facade.

Anything out of the norm..god forbid tg care??send em to the back burners..reskeds..service? answers?..fat chance!

I found only 2 people (mental health) that show the slightest concern and they seem tied down by the regs.

No fast track with this orginazation.

I am still hoping to make some progress and get some answers..They are my only hope to ease my financial

burden and procur my hrt legally..I am currently spending over $150.00 month out of pocket.

Guest LesleyAnne

That dinosaur has been my experience too Alissa!

Sadly my PCP won't even answer my messaging thru MyHealtyVet........And my Psychologist acknowledged that my PCP has been lacking in his concern since he tried to contact him too and did not receive a response.

Kinda like Transgender Dysphoria isn't a serious condition as far as he's concerned. So like you I pay my own way, and hope for a better VA someday (and maybe part of my issue is where my VA is located which is the Houston area).

My hopes are with you.

Guest Kenna Dixon

What a difference location makes. The difficulties described here don't track with my experience at all.

For the last eight years or so, I've been receiving my medical services from Florida VA clinics in Orlando, Daytona Beach and Orange City. From the very beginning - before there was any policy in place regarding transgender patients - the doctors and physician's assistants I've encountered have been as understanding and helpful as anyone could be.

As formal procedures were put into place, the staff became more proactive. Although I declined an offer to have my records changed so I would be addressed as female, the endocrinologist still uses "Ms." when talking to me on the phone - even though he's only seen me as a "Mr." in his office. I met my newly-assigned primary care physician this week, and when he learned why I had been prescribed estradiol he apologized for not being up to speed on transgender issues and started asking me questions related to how I wanted him to deal with my situation (transition timetable, etc.).

I've seen transitioned or transitioning patients at the clinics, and they've always been treated with the utmost courtesy.

A great deal of what's available is wasted on me, as I'm not seeking anything beyond my maintenance prescription for anti-androgen.

I hope that at some point there will be more consistency and everyone can have the same relationship with his or her local VA services provider.

Guest alissa16

Well; once I became aware of the possibility of the VA offering me hrt therapy I been jumping through every

hoop (so far) they've placed before me.

I have lab work (thyroid) then (finally) get to see the shrink on Wed..Then my therapist on the 11 and 27..

Not sure who..thinking its the shrink who will have to write up the script for me. I am really trying

to think positively that I've jumped through enough hoops, rolled over and begged enough to get some

perscriptions written for me.

Have also become convinced that I'd like to go with im injections and hope that some of you can encourage

me that VA is offering this as part of the hrt treatment.

From reading your threads and similar ones on other sites..We still have a long way to go.

Guest alissa16

JennaR Hi.. What you have to do is to contact mental health..tell them what your wanting to do and

they should then get the wheels in motion..

Kinda frustrating..you might be a good ways down the road..we have to dance their-way.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest alissa16

Well; Had my first session with a VA shrink..surprisenly he wasn't a fire breathing dragon nor a leather jacketed

Gestapo agent..

He did say that he was going to recommend hormones for me!! Ya!!!

Once again have submitted for some more lab work..but this time I am hearing all the types of test that you hear

when tg's are talking bout with their blood work..11 tubes total..!

Being transfered to another shrink about 100 miles closer..Marquette Mi.vs Madison Wisc..This is fine with me as

its a 20 minute walk to the VA out clinic and the sessions are via Skype.

Was told it might take a week or so for the lab results.on pins a needles waiting to see what happens next.

To be cont'd