• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Things you can get from va

Guest audrey michelle

Guest alissa16

Just had another session with my therapist..As I've told you all earlier I have been recommended for hrt but

guess I have to wait and see what developes with my endo appointment at the end of the month..All of my

appointments are via Skype conference's except for my therapist as Iam 50 plus miles from the VA reginal.

As we stated today's session I began by asking what this refurial to the gender clinic in Minneapolis entitled..

She was unable to provide any answers..we're a little bit behind the curve up here..I guess Iam the first tg among

this group of practitioners. So Iam trying to bear with them. Its frustrating though;..What with all the hoops

and hurdles one has to go through..

My therapist shot an e mail to see if any kinda response can be generated as to what I can be expected (help-wise)

from the Minneapolis clinic..patience!!!

More to follow....Someday

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lonelysadie

• Alyssa Deutsch

• Charlize

• Jani

Guest Emily604

Whoa that's a place I never would have thought to try. I've never used the VA hospitals though because I don't have a service related disability... aside from being kicked out specifically for being trans. Worth a shot though.

Guest Kenna Dixon

I've never used the VA hospitals though because I don't have a service related disability.

That doesn't matter. I served only three years on active duty and have no service-related conditions at all.

You can still get into the system, but there are different levels of coverage for disability-related care.

Guest Emily604

I filled out the forms online and got confirmation that it was submitted. Now I'm waiting on them. I really just want access to their therapists because I can't find any where I live.

Guest alissa16

I too live in a..back woods community..what I had done originally was going onto some of the tg web sites.There

are references..roadmaps.. that refer online therapists that are accepted by state to state that can offer phone,

online or Skype counseling to included refurals for hrt. You just need to research a bit.

I too don't have a service connected disability or had been in a combat zone..but; as a vet you still qualify for the

VA's mental health,tg hrt assistance.

You might have to perform quite a few acrobatic menouvers and beg and grovel a bit..

I've been 4 months on this route and I think that they are starting to notice..maybe I'd better whine just a bit more.

Guest alissa16

Jenna did you ever get an answer back?? I know that I've been refered to the gender clinic (whatever they do?).Up in Minneapolis.

and my therapist has put forth enquiring e mails with no response back yet..

At best I can only imagine that the ground breaking management paperwork is done..and that each regional

branch has to enact this (2013/003) to the best of their own abilities..

I have to confess..I have been impressed by the desire to help from those that I have come into contact since

persueing hrt coverage through the VA.. These dam mill stones just grind so fine and slow! Arrrghh!

A little frustrating though when you hear that some regions have no problems and clear easy sailing

with their varied hrt regimes!!

Guest alissa16

Emily; I never served in a combat zone nor retired nor have any service connected disabilities..I do use the VA

as my sole medical care..I have to pay co pay..which is fine..Iam not..have not asked for anything other than

annual psyicals. And now coverage and hormones for my gid.

My co pay per visit with mental health is $15.00.

Guest GerriDee

Hi just wanted to let everyone know that today I found out that not only will the va provide hrt, but they will also provide up to 6 bras with breast prosthesis (forms), and speech therapy training. Thought others might find this as useful as that is what I am getting in addition to my hormones from the va here in tucson.

That was unique. My VA Dr and I just began discussion of HRT therapy. I'll lay in the weeds for a while then ask about this. Thanks for the info.

Guest GerriDee

I asked my PC at the VA if our hospital does any trans-care outside of HRT, and he didn't know. He called the social workers and left a message on their machine, but no one has ever followed up with me on it. Do you all think I should see my PC and ask again, go see if I can walk in and meet with a social worker at the hospital, or ask my endo when I see him/her in hopes they might know? I'm a bit lost as to how to proceed without antagonizing people.

Jenna

My PC took quick care of this matter. She made the referral and within a week I meeting with the Pysch Dr.

Guest Kenna Dixon

My PC took quick care of this matter. She made the referral and within a week I meeting with the Pysch Dr.

Great! You're on your way. I hope your VA experience is a good one.

Guest audrey michelle

Hi just wanted to let everyone know that today I found out that not only will the va provide hrt, but they will also provide up to 6 bras with breast prosthesis (forms), and speech therapy training. Thought others might find this as useful as that is what I am getting in addition to my hormones from the va here in tucson.

That was unique. My VA Dr and I just began discussion of HRT therapy. I'll lay in the weeds for a while then ask about this. Thanks for the info.
Yeah I wasn't fully expecting to ever get anything outside of hrt and therapy, but the social worker that works at the va with the transgender care drs and runs the trans support group actually informed me of being able to get the bras and prosthesis. She told my PC doctor that I was interested and then they put in a referral to the prosthetics department at the tucson va. Within a couple weeks I had an appointment and they did all the sizing and fitting then placed an order for them. Within 4 weeks I had received them after going to the prosthetics department to make sure they fit proper and looked normal.
Guest alissa16

2 days and counting..till endo appointment!!!!!! Fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed..tapping my heels together

saying I think I can... I think I can.......

Guest katie019

when i first joined, all of this with the VA seemed like it would never happen. im so glad it has. im finally about to get out in about a year. it will have been 8 years by then. im so ready for this.

Guest JaneShannon

I am just starting my journey with the VA. It tried for a TRICARE provided counselor, but the only clinic here which accepts TRICARE is not taking new patients right now...grrrr.

So I am pushing forward with the VA. I have filled out the enrollment form and will turn it in (hopefully) today. I do have a few questions.

Are you seeing a VA provided general counselor or a counselor who specializes in trans-people? I spoke to a generalized Army counselor before I retired. She was good, but she really had no clue how to help a transgendered person.

For those of you who have fitted breastforms, do they somehow fit better than others? I have some I bought from amazon, which look pretty good, are the fitted ones better?

I am still in the coming out process and I have trouble telling people I am trans, and honestly for 99,999999999999999999999% of the people in the world it is none of their business. I really don't want to have to tell everyone on the VA staff I am trans. Did you have to tell a bunch of people, or has it mostly been between you and your providers?

Okay, last question. How long does it take to go from signing up, to a counselor to HRT?

Thanks!!!

JaneShannon

Guest alissa16

Iam a bit disappointed right now from yesterdays endo session. Realized that I had been handed down from one to

another..Not a one has been wanting to step forward and help..Iam sure they were honestly intended..but; all this shuffling around..gender clinics, shrinks,uninformed

and/or uncooperative endo's have left me with an empty feeling as far as the substance and strength that

the VA places upon its 2013/003 directive.

Guest alissa16

Sorry Jane I didn't read your entire message. Iam not sure how many at my out reach clinic know Iam

tg. One of the front receptionist might have guessed at or read in on some computer screens..

A couple of the nurses..one that took my lab work and then my medicine uptake report and the nurse

who sat in on my endo-skype session..I showed her my lab work and of course she was privy to our

conversation..an eye opener must have been when questioned on any breast growth and my reply of

yes..Iam now a 38b!!!that did get her attention..I present male..No real choice..I don't advertise nor

voluntarily out myself..So far I've been comfortable in my dealings with the VA.

Right now Iam approaching 5 months since I'd first contacted a nurse practitioner here and told him

I was tg wanted help getting on the hrt program. But this is a rather small VA here and they tend to rely

on doctors downstate for their mental health doctor-reserves.

• 2 weeks later...

I think saying the "VA offers" implies a level of responsiveness the VA doesn't do. If it's a documented VA benefit they will give it to you. However, the individual vet is responsible for making the VA provide the service.

This is not on the subject of Bras, but rather VANIQA 13.9%. I believe I read on one of the post in this forum where one girl got this from her local VA. I ask at my last visit with my Endo Dr. and her NP and the NP said it was not covered and my doctors response was, "We won't know until we try, go ahead and write it up and we will see what happens" Well, great news, it did go through and I now have a prescription with 12 refills.

I think a lot has to do with your doctor and how he or she looks at us and out journey.

• 1 month later...
Guest alissa16

There is some new news that the VA will/starting up a program for voice training of my region will most

likely be among the last to implement this new resource.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

This is an interesting thread. I would have never considered the VA as a provider. I'll have to investigate further. I'm in NH but close to Boston where there may be better developed VA resources.

Jani

• 3 months later...

I filled out the forms online and got confirmation that it was submitted. Now I'm waiting on them. I really just want access to their therapists because I can't find any where I live.

Which forms are you talking about ?
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Kenna Dixon

I didn't know this, so perhaps other US military veterans over 65 may be unaware of it as well.

Humana is the designated provider of Medicare Advantage coverage for veterans and is paid by the government for each policy it issues. It rebates part of that money to the policyholder, in effect paying us to carry the insurance.

What actually happens when you sign up is that your monthly Social Security check is increased by $85. There's no out-of-pocket expense whatsoever.

You can be assigned a primary care physician even though you get your medical treatment through the VA medical system. In fact, much of what is covered duplicates what you already have. But there are some additional benefits. The one I will certainly take advantage of is free gym membership through the Silver Sneakers program.

If you qualify and are interested, you can find the information at Humana's web site. The plan is Humana Gold Plus H1036-157.

Please note that the deadline for the current signup period is December 7.

• 1 month later...

I am in the va system or rather was.as I no longer can drive and have no transportation dont know what to do.the nearest clinic is in Mobile ala. which is 35 miles away. I had mentioned my crossdressing when I had A mental health eva. because I was Suicidal at the time and have recieved many of theyre services not related to being trans was even given help getting on dissability.just dont know how to get to any of theyre faccilities now

I'm at the VA Medical Center only every six months or so, and I continue to be impressed with the progress being made regarding the treatment of transgender patients.

I haven't bothered to take advantage of the option to have my name and gender pronoun preference changed in their records, and I'm in male slob mode when I go there. My primary care physician recently transferred to another facility, so today I met with the nurse and then was connected by Skype or a similar program to a doctor who was fifty miles away.

I didn't know that the endocrinologist had labeled me female in his file, and this new physician - an older man - was exceedingly respectful and asked how he should address me. And he told the nurse it wasn't necessary to have me remove the t-shirt I had on underneath my flannel shirt. He merely asked if I had experienced any breast tenderness.

Hi,

I'm new here and looking for some support. I'm a disabled vet and live in Deltona and was hoping to see if you could guide me, Kenna, since you go to the same facilities I go to. Any help would be great ladies as I am in very bad shape... If I need to re-post somewhere else, please let me know, I don't want to take over someones thread.

Guest Kenna Dixon

I'm new here and looking for some support. I'm a disabled vet and live in Deltona and was hoping to see if you could guide me, Kenna, since you go to the same facilities I go to.

Hi...and welcome!

Because you're new here, the system won't let me send you a private message yet.

I assume you'll be going to the Orange City location. The best approach with your primary care physician is complete honesty. Be sure to stress that your unresolved gender dysphoria has a negative effect on your overall well-being. There's an endocrinologist at the Daytona Beach VA who will make decisions regarding your transgender treatment. Orange City may ask that you have a brief visit with him. He'll ask a few questions to make sure you know what you're talking about. Once you're on record, it's smooth sailing. The system (at least in Central Florida) is very much up to speed regarding our treatment.