• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Things you can get from va

Guest audrey michelle

Guest Kenna Dixon

Thank you! I usually go to Daytona, I don't even know where the Orange City facility is...

I liked the Daytona Beach facility more. It's much larger, for one thing.

Orange City VA is on Highway 17 (Volusia Avenue). From Deltona, take Saxon Boulevard to where it ends, turn right and prepare to make a quick left. You'll see the sign.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lonelysadie

• Alyssa Deutsch

• Charlize

• Jani

Also... The endocrinologist at the Daytona Beach VA Medical Center is Dr. Roger Bower. Ask to see him. He's very easy to deal with.

Wow thanks so much. Right now I'm scheduled for a support group next week, hopefully that will help me since I've been struggling quite a bit. I have a lot to learn and want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. My biggest fear is not only my family, but passing...

Guest Kenna Dixon
Right now I'm scheduled for a support group next week, hopefully that will help me since I've been struggling quite a bit.

There's a fairly new transgender support group that meets in Deland around the end of each month. All of the people I've met are committed to their transition, and many are not what we generally describe as "passable".

I can't post my contact information here, but please get in touch with me through Facebook if you can.

Will Tri-Care cover anything if I don't go through the VA? I really don't like the enormous VA here in Temple, and really don't feel comfortable talking about any of this with them. I use a private social worker down in Austin, and pay out of pocket for that. She tried to get my VA doctor to get me on antidepressants, but the VA refused because they want me in their system first. That really made me want to stay with my civilian therapist and doctor for all this, but I don't know if Tri-Care will allow me to do that outside of the VA.

Guest Kenna Dixon

Will Tri-Care cover anything if I don't go through the VA?

I tried to research this for you but found nothing more recent than a July 2015 reference to Tri-Care transgender treatment policies being under review.

I tried to research this for you but found nothing more recent than a July 2015 reference to Tri-Care transgender treatment policies being under review.

Thank you, I really appreciate the effort.

Right now I'm scheduled for a support group next week, hopefully that will help me since I've been struggling quite a bit.

There's a fairly new transgender support group that meets in Deland around the end of each month. All of the people I've met are committed to their transition, and many are not what we generally describe as "passable".

I can't post my contact information here, but please get in touch with me through Facebook if you can.

How long will it be before I can send PM's?

• 1 month later...

The Austin, TX, VA is now getting a Trans support group up and running for vets in this area. It was announced at both the TENT (Transgender Education Network of Texas) meeting on Saturday, and the TGQ Social on Sunday evening. I was really smart and forgot to grab a flyer to post the dates/times, but I will pass that info on when I get one.

Alyssa

• 1 month later...

Wow to bad I only got 2 yr 8 mo in with the mass army nat guard I don't qualify for jack even with a honorable discharge ofc though if I did and went though em i would have been chance to start hormones next year on/near my birthday then my 35th this june which is my target.

• 1 month later...
Guest Danielle J

I use Tri-care and they cover just about everything except surgery. You can go online and find providers in your area

• 4 months later...
On 2/28/2015 at 7:05 PM, alissa16 said:

JennaR Hi.. What you have to do is to contact mental health..tell them what your wanting to do and

they should then get the wheels in motion..

Kinda frustrating..you might be a good ways down the road..we have to dance their-way.

On 1/12/2015 at 3:53 PM, ToriLynn said:

The VA in Houston told me that they will cover HRT, voice therapy etc. They will not cover GRS however, but what they will do is help you with the required letters that are needed for GRS. The only problem is that, as with everything, it takes a long time to get anything done. I have been trying to get back on hormones through the VA now since Oct of last year and still have not seen the endocrinologist and was told it would probably be Feb at the earliest. This is due to the fact that the VA does not have a set program for Transgender vets and that doctors have to work us in to their existing schedules.

Hugs

Tori

Do you just set up an appointment with your pcp to get things started ? I feel so scared , I'm married and   My wife doesn't know I'm transgender , I just can't keep fighting it anymore it's killing me on the inside. If anyone has any advice please , I'm ready to be the real me

Guest audrey michelle

Yes that's all you need to really do is just set up an appointment and then they should be able to put you in touch with a psychologist or psychiatrist if they have one at that VA or at least get you pointed in the right direction towards on so you can start with the therapy and psych evaluation portion. I know it might sound a bit gate keeperish but its not they just want to make sure more or less that you are mentally fit to make the decision which obviously I'm sure you are and that you understand the possible outcomes and effects of transition and to help you through any issues you might have down the road like coming out.

Edited by audrey michelle
fixed some typos - C