• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Good morning All. Coffees on.

KymmieL

@JoniSteph Cute Miata.  I have a black one that my GF gave me a couple years back.  I don't drive it much.  Actually, I don't drive anything very much.  But a convertible is very nice for mild spring days.  I'm guessing that you do your own car work? 

• Replies 23.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Willow

• KymmieL

• Mmindy

• Ivy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Forum Moderator

@JoniSteph  Very nice.  I have a '95 Miata with 110K miles on it.  So much fun!!

Looks like you've got some tasteful interior modifications.

Jani

@awkward-yet-sweet I do what I can except for the mechanical and oil changes. As I do not have an enclosed area to work in and this old body is falling apart, haha, I do the time consuming little jobs.

I put about 8,500 miles on it in the 6 months of favorable weather. :)

Have a great day all

Big Canadian Hugs all around

JoniSteph

Hi @Jani, glad to see others enjoy the greatest little sports can going. I know - matter of opinion. Lol

Other than the few mods, the car is original. No body work though a repaint was done at some point.

Have a great day all

JoniSteph

My plan is that I have an agreement with my therapist that I can text her anytime. I always start by saying I am not going to do anything to myself and then say but this is how I'm feeling. It really helps because she knows me and understands my issues and I feel validated about my feelings just by texting her. That true validation of my feelings makes me feel like I can value myself for real. She will call me to talk if I need it. I haven't needed that particular phone call so far, but if I did, I would start by saying I am not going to act on what I am about to say. Prevents those horrible (I've heard) visits by police. 

29 minutes ago, Dillon said:

It really helps because she knows me and understands my issues and I feel validated about my feelings just by texting her.

That's true progress when dealing with the medical community. I realized a few years ago that I had amassed so many medical "helpers," and each time I'd meet with one I'd be asked, "Tell me again what your situation is … " It was exhausting. In the end I chose the doctor I felt was most interested in me and always seemed to remember my "situation" so I'd not be asked to explain it all over again. Well done, Dillon! ––Rianon 

1 hour ago, JoniSteph said:

Intended to attach pictures, but had a brain fart and forgot. :)

Have a great day all

JoniSteph

miata .jpg

Miata Interior.jpg

Beautiful Miata!! We had a '91 but had to seel it. Bought a '96 BMW Z3 new and am still driving it - just under 100k miles at this point.

1 hour ago, JoniSteph said:

@awkward-yet-sweet I do what I can except for the mechanical and oil changes. As I do not have an enclosed area to work in and this old body is falling apart, haha, I do the time consuming little jobs.

I put about 8,500 miles on it in the 6 months of favorable weather. :)

Have a great day all

JoniSteph

I can sort of do an oil change, but that's about as far as I get into the equipment.  My husband is pretty handy and has a lot of tools.  He doesn't have a lot of time, but sometimes he'll do basic stuff with me, and often his kids help.  Last time we changed oil, his 9 year old daughter did most of it.  

My GF has a large shop - 10 bays.  She's a serious car girl.  When she stopped working a job to be a stay-at-home mom, she went into business for herself working on classic vehicles and fixing up several houses that she rents out.  When she got me the Miata, she painted it, installed a turbo, and rebuilt the transmission.  I hate to tell her that I don't put my foot in it enough to actually feel a difference 🤭.  I tend to be pretty careful.

36 minutes ago, Rianon said:

dealing with the medical community.

She's like that because she's gay and she mostly gets it. All the clients at the agency where she works are seniors and lgbtq. I'm lucky that's available here. I've had straight therapists and omg. 

What you've experienced with medical people is all too common. The lack of training is frightening. And I'm sure they have several trans patients each year and act like it's new to them each time. 

Still washing down cold medicine with my coffee this morning, but trending better. Having some friends passing by my area on their way home from a road trip. I've known them both since college and one since we were 8, we belonged to the same YMCA. It's a nice day mid 70s.

I'm afraid I have never been a car person but I do like to go fast. Last time I worked on a car myself was Jan 1977 in the midst of the 'new ice age' in Chicago. I had to replace a brake line on Volkswagen Beetle on a major street at 19 below laying in slush and getting sprayed with slush by a city bus. every 20 mins. Couldn't afford to get it towed anywhere.

Science class has a sub and the work took about 10 minutes, so hi

10 minutes ago, miz miranda said:

I had to replace a brake line on Volkswagen Beetle on a major street at 19 below laying in slush and getting sprayed with slush by a city bus. every 20 mins.

Things seem to tear up at the worst time.  I used to do all our mechanicing before everything went to computers.  Since we always had older vehicles that was many years.  I quit changing my own oil when I realized I spent as much on the supplies as I could go to the oil change joint.  Plus, I didn't have to crawl up under the greasy thing.

Back in the day, we swapped engines and transmissions under a tree in the driveway.  One of my daughters went to the NASCAR school and is a mechanic now.  These days I don't do any more than I have to -- and grumble about that.

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

She's like that because she's gay and she mostly gets it.

My doctor is straight but she's a total sweetheart. Totally gets it! I sit down and she and I begin right where we left off the last time.

1 hour ago, ShawnaB said:

Found out my sister planned something for me for lgbt pride month,a photo shoot with me as Shawna.Found the lady that does this supports this community,she is bisexual finding out about me.Going to be one weekend

That sounds wonderful!! Your sister is awesome!!!!!

• Forum Moderator

Hi

Not feeling my normal self right now.  Somewhere between angry, upset or depressed.  The evening had started out decent but has gone to hell.  

Dog is unhappy, wife still stuck in Las Vegas airport and conversation turned ugly.  Oh and I’m not expecting it to get any better tomorrow presuming she makes it home.

So, I  like the Miata.  We’ve had a Fiat X1-9, and a Toyota MR2.  Both were POS’s but fun to drive.  I was constantly working on the Fiat, or fix it again Tony.  And the MR 2 was a paddle shift transmission.  Not exactly a stick, no clutch, but not an automatic either.  The transmission (or parts of it) went out 3 times in the four years we had it.  The first time was the first day we had it. I should have told them to scrub the deal.  We had it for 24 hours and they had it for the next 2 weeks.  Then about a year later a different part quit working and finally 2 years after that it quit again.  Never ever will I own another Toyota.  Id sooner buy a fix it again Tony.  Really got screwed over by Toyota and Toyota Financial Services.

Oh, @Willow, I'm sorry you're having a difficult evening. I know I can't do much to help but send good thoughts your way. And your F.I.A.T. comment made me laugh out loud. 

I hope everything works out better than you expect.

27 minutes ago, Willow said:

Never ever will I own another Toyota.

Glad you enjoy the Miata.  Unfortunately, I've had issues with a Mazda truck that turned me against them.  I'll never buy another Mazda.

I hope things work out better than you expect.

Good morning, everyone!! I'm working on my first cup of coffee - looks like this day will require substantially more. My spring allergies seem to be kicking into high gear. Much cooler weather today so it looks like a day for indoor projects and reading.

I think I'll move my winter clothes downstairs into the storage closet and make room for some new lighter clothes. I'm loving expanding my wardrobe - watching for the 70% Off sale at Talbots. There are two popovers I'm dying to get and hoping that my size doesn't sell out before the price gets down to where I feel comfortable buying them. If not, it just wasn't meant to be.

Be safe and enjoy this beautiful day!!!

• Forum Moderator

Good morning everyone,:coffee:

It has taken some time for me to catch up, after being gone camping for a few days.

I'm not a motor-head, car fanatic. However I really enjoyed working on cars and trucks in the 1970s and 1980s before computer circuit boards became mandatory. After that, I became more of a body work person, dealing with frames, suspensions, and exhaust. I agree with @Ivy and the oil change quick-lube places. I've owned commercial fleet trucks and SUVs since the 1990s and let the dealership worry about maintenance. That's one of the perks of owning a small business that teaches about transportation safety. 

I really love my health care team, and therapists since getting on medicare with a popular supplement care company with no premiums, and small co-pays. Oh and today is the day we pay taxes for a government that seams to be working to erase us. While I pay my taxes quarterly, April is the catch up date. It's always a pain in my bank account.

The warmer weather is a plus. I'm one of the fortunate who don't seam to have allergies to anything, and I love doing yard work.

Hugs,

Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

• Forum Moderator

Good morning 

I’ve had my coffee, walked the dog and when I complete my thoughts I’ll have breakfast and go to the airport to pick up my wife.  She finally made it out of Vegas to Detroit and is now on a plane home from there.  

I learned to work on cars and motorcycles as a teen.  Like everyone else, there is no working on a computerized car at home. It takes many thousands of dollars for the specialized equipment.  No more replacing distributerpoints, rotor and cap.  They don’t exist.  If you really want you can still replace brake pads and a few other parts that can break but there isn’t much for the shad3 of a tree anymore.  And yes, it doesn’t cost anymore to go to the quick lube than to change oil yourself.  Last repair I made on my Explorer was it split the harmonic balancer and I replaced that and the belt it destroyed.  That was too much for this Septogenarium so I’m for sure done.

I was once in charge of a fleet of 10 class 6 40’ trucks, but maintenance was always done by a dealer or at a full service truck stop.

just a little added point about the Fiat X1-9, the distributor was between the engine and the firewall. Most home repairmen would cut a hole in the firewall to get a wrench on the clamp nut.  Never a good idea putting a hole in the firewall.  It’s called that for a reason.  There was actually a special wrench that the parts department of your local dealer claimed didn’t exist.  I had to tell them, just order this part number for me.  Sure enough a few days later they had my wrench.  It had the shape of a c with an extension on the handle end.  Hard to remember which way to turn it since you were working backwards.

Willow

• Forum Moderator

As some can tell I am a motorhead through and through. I love working on something vehicle wise.

Well back to the grind today. I just hope I continue being employed.

My drugs in me, 1st cup just about gone. Then I need to get something to eat. get dressed. Then figure out if I want to show up early to work or not. I would go in early to do some writing on my stories. I have to figure if they deserve me showing up early. However, it is still my time. I can use it where ever I want.

TTFN, all.

Hugs,

Kymmie

• Forum Moderator

We listed our house for sale.  The listing went live last night.  Right now, it has been up for only 22 hours and we already have 7 showings booked!!  Holy crap!  I knew the market was tight, but that is ridiculous.  The good news is that there could be a bidding war and we might get more than our asking price for it.

And, on the other hand, the house we have our eye on to buy isn't getting the attention the sellers want.  They contacted our realtor and asked if his clients (we) were still interested.  So they might be more willing to be flexible on their (high) price and we might be able to afford it.   Good for us both ways.

Gotta go and vacuum the place now.

18 minutes ago, KathyLauren said:

We listed our house for sale.  The listing went live last night.  Right now, it has been up for only 22 hours and we already have 7 showings booked!!  Holy crap!  I knew the market was tight, but that is ridiculous.  The good news is that there could be a bidding war and we might get more than our asking price for it.

And, on the other hand, the house we have our eye on to buy isn't getting the attention the sellers want.  They contacted our realtor and asked if his clients (we) were still interested.  So they might be more willing to be flexible on their (high) price and we might be able to afford it.   Good for us both ways.

Gotta go and vacuum the place now.

What awesome news on both accounts!!!!  Sending good thoughts that the sellers accept your bid!!!

Finishing my first cup. I want to go back to sleep, but I have the seniors lgbt center today. i added a second day, today, to my schedule because I spend too much time at home. I hope I'm up for it physically. Two people on their small staff are trans, so it's helpful to spend some time there. There's also one other trans member in addition to me, but she won't be there today.

Really, there are some people I think just don't know they're trans in the general membership, but that's up to them.