• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What Is Your Favorite Book?

Guest Nikk

Guest Nikk

Wow. Nobody has posted a favorite-book! spazz thread yet. I'm kind of shocked. Well, anyway. Summer is approaching, and y'all know what that means? Endless hours in front of the TV. Plenty of time to read! So I figure we should post our favorites so that we don't waste our time reading absolutely blasphemorous (is that a word?) crud.

My favorite books just so happen to be:

• The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky (EVERYONE MUST READ THIS BOOK IT IS AMAZING)
    My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Piccoult (*hugs Jesse* Wait, whut? There were dying chicks in the story? Sorry, too busy being OMG JESSE to notice... Just kidding.)
    The Vampire Armand - Anne Rice (The rest are pretty good too, but this one just happens to be my favorite. Because )
    Luna - Julie Ann Peters (Best TG book I've read yet... Although I don't have all that much experience with TG books... It was still amazing.)
    A Midsummer Night's Dream - Shakespeare (I love Shakespeare, and YES I am a dork.)
    Anything by Tamora Pierce, JK Rowling, and Terry Goodkind (Read the Sword of Truth series. It's seriously the most amazing story ever)

There are others that I love, but they're not in recent enough memory for me to list them :(

So go on, list yours! I want some awesome stuff to read this summer (because I will be about 2000 miles away from a TV or a computer I can use, and thus I turn to the back up plan).

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sally

• Flint

• EVAN_DESU

• Carolyn Marie

As the song goes, "Way back in his long ago." The Doobie Brothers "What a Foll Believes" ther was a five books on a desert Island topic and it is around in the aschieves but for your new yopic.

The Complete works of Edgar Allen Poe, William Shakespeare and the Sherlock Holmes series by Sir Arthur Canon Doyle.

Moby penis - in case I decide to become a whaler

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

The three Musketeers

The complete trilogy of Hitchhiker's Guide to the UNiverse - all five books

Tales of the White Heart - short stories by Arthur C. Clarke

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Alison Mendez

Sally, would it surprise you that there was a sixth hitchhikers guide to the galaxy book in the works?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Salmon_of_Doubt

The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time is a posthumous collection of previously unpublished material by Douglas Adams. It consists largely of essays about technology and life experiences, but its major selling point is the inclusion of the incomplete novel on which Adams was working at the time of his death, The Salmon of Doubt (from which the collection gets its title, a reference to the Celtic myth of the Salmon of Wisdom). English editions of the book were published in the USA and UK in May 2002, exactly one year after the author's death.
Guest Pól

Some of my favorites:

Old School by Tobias Wolff. This one is a great story, and it's not that long.

The Iliad by Homer. Yes, I know, I'm a nerd. I like the Lattimore translation, but I've also read the translation by Fagles.

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling.

Anything by Ross O'Carroll-Kelly (aka Paul Howard). The last one I read was This Champagne Mojito is the Last Thing I Own, which was excellent, but I think a couple more have come out in the last year and I'm planning on reading those over the summer. He's hilarious. He also 'writes a column' for the Irish Times.

The Art History Mysteries by Iain Pears. Good summer reading. The first one is Giotto's Hand, but they're all pretty good.

Nikk, if you like Shakespeare, you might enjoy The Decameron by Boccaccio. Sounds intimidating, and the book is about as thick enough that it might break your foot if you dropped it, but it's actually pretty light reading once you get used to the style. It's 100 short stories. I think I read the McWilliams translation, but my copy's currently buried in a box somewhere.

I never could get into the Hitchhiker series...not really my thing, I guess.

Guest StrandedOutThere

Oh...I'm such a book nerd!!

I like sci-fi a lot! ...but that's not all I'll read.

Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein

I, Robot - Isaac Asimov

Logan's Run (actually the whole trilogy, in all its campy goodness) -William F. Nolan and George Clayton Johnson

The Traveler - John Twelve Hawks

Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk

The Tales of the Otori series - Lian Hearn

Star Trek novels...guilty pleasure

Nonfiction:

Becoming a Visible Man - Jamison Green

Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World - Michael Pollen

The Seven Sins of Memory - Daniel Schacter (My friends and I totally touched his and Steven Pinker's office doors at Harvard because we're total nerds)

Phantoms in the Brain: Probing the Mysteries of the Human Mind - V. S. Ramachandran (and others that I can't remember)

Anything by Oliver Sacks!!

Descartes' Error: Emotion, Reason, and the Human Brain - Antonio Damasio

The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition into the Forces of History - Howard Bloom

Heroes, Rogues, and Lovers: Testosterone & Behavior - James McBride Dabbs

I could list more, but I must go to work.

Twelfth Night (I love the character Malvolio xD) and Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare

Under the Blood Red Sun by Graham Salisbury

When My Name Was Keoko by Linda Sue Park

Guest TheShana82

Almost anything by Anne Rice...

The Resident Evil series by S.D. Perry

The Lazarus Heart- Poppy Z Brite

Murder Artist- John Case

I kno there are more...

Guest Leigh

the automatic filter does it again..........

(that being said i have to check something.. we were throwing some testicles around in the yard...ok..)

but, on to the topic at hand.

favorite books????

i could tell you favorite genres..i like philosophy, politics, science....

i guess technically speaking my favorite books are the Lord of the Rings trilogy (before the movies came out...stupid movies..)

and i love Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. and Where the Wild things Are (children's book) by Maurice Sendak.

but the type of novel i like best would be something like Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" or something by Ayn Rand, or (the classic) 1984 by Orwell...i like stories about escaping tyrannical societies (i think it may have something to do with a past life, cuz i have lots of dreams like this as well..)

i guess that's all for now.

books rock.

peace&love

leigh

Guest Leigh

ooh.. Chuck Palahniuk.

i can't believe i forgot him.

and 2 last favorites

"Fear and Loathing in Los Vagas" (crazy, crazy book)

and "The Motorcycle Diaries" (go Che)

ok..i'll go now

peace

leigh

Guest Evan_J

LOL - this sounds like the title of the spoof novel I need to write.

and Leigh....

the automatic filter does it again..........

(that being said i have to check something.. we were throwing some testicles around in the yard...ok..)

I'm torn between wanting to come by to look in your yard just to see that, and wanting to run for my life to protect my future "spheres". lol

Hmmm books....hard one, most of the goodies you all have mentioned. It may take some additional brain work.

Guest Cody_T

This is perhaps one of the hardest things I ever have to do... a while back I took to classifying my favorites by author rather than book, because the list gets really long otherwise. Inevitably I've forgotten some.

Fiction:

Everything by Chuck Palahniuk... Rant, Fight Club, Choke, Invisible Monsters, Diary especially.

Everything by John Steinbeck... In Dubious Battle, East of Eden, Grapes of Wrath especially

John Irving... The Fourth Hand, A Prayer for Owen Meany, Cedar House Rules especially

Jodi Picoult... My Sister's Keeper, The Pact, Second Glance, Perfect Match, Salem Falls especially (& I heard the new one is good)

JK Rowling

JD Salinger

Mark Twain

Gore Vidal

Roald Dahl <- the man is a genius

Lemony Snicket (Series of Unfortunate Events)

Eoin Colfer (Artemis Fowl series)

Anthony Horowitz (Alex Rider series)

Maurice by E.M. Forster (I only classify by author if I've read more than one of theirs to ensure that it wasn't just a fluke, and I haven't yet with him)

Nonfiction:

Something for the Pain- Paul Austin

Emergency (idk who, basically a compliation of stories in emergency medicine)

Talking Trauma- (horrible book, when the author talks (I skipped those parts)... but the paramedic stories are great)(Until you get to the inevitable section on "zomgthatwasawoman???" that comes with emergency medicine. Ooh yay)

Becoming a Visible Man- Jamison Green

Transparent- Cris Beam (great book. It's nonfiction about trans girls living in LA. Really well written, and the author is a part of it so she's sympathetic to the girls and stuff) (I wholeheartedly recommend this book to everyone)

That's one of the words that we need to take back!

Let's call it Moby Richard - a bit stuffy but it is still a great book.

Where can I buy a good used tripot?

I haven't seen the sixth book yet - thanks

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Leigh
LOL - this sounds like the title of the spoof novel I need to write.

and Leigh....

I'm torn between wanting to come by to look in your yard just to see that, and wanting to run for my life to protect my future "spheres". lol

Hmmm books....hard one, most of the goodies you all have mentioned. It may take some additional brain work.

lol...i was just testing the filter again...

peace

leigh

Guest Valentine

I am surprised that the Valdemar Books by Mercedes Lackey hasn't been mentioned yet.

I am also surprised to not see Jack L. Chalker not mentioned yet.

Guest 1charlotte1

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

Steampunk -multiple authors

If anyone hasn't read The Bell Jar and isn't going to I'm done talking to u!! Lmao, jk.

For anyone who does want to read it, it can be difficult to follow at times, but it was beautifully written!

TAkE MY RECOMENDATION!!!

Luv, Charlotte

Ps, sorry if I lost my temper a bit there XD

Guest Elizabeth K

Anything by:

Ray Bradbury

Jack L. Chalker

John Varley

Robert A. Heinlein

Anne Rice

Charles DeLint

James A. Mitchner

Judith Tarr

Arthur C. Clark

James Tiptree

Neil Gaimann

And the Wild Card Series

Lizzy

Guest Neuro

The Harry Potter series--hehehe

Death Note: Another note--The prequel novel to the manga series

Go Ask Alice--Anonymous

Firegold--Dia Calhoun

The Forgotten Door

The Last Book in the Universe

The Music of Dolphins

The Captain Underpants Saga (I am a 12 year-old boy at heart XD)

CRANK and PUSH--two in a series of edgy poetry by a favorite author of mine

Angela and Diabola

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (childhood favorite)

I like 80's kids sci-fi novels, like NORBY the mixed-up robot (By Issac Asimov!) and 'My robot buddy' kids series. They are funny and gripping enough, but also funny. A 'mobile phone for your car' cost as much as a robot--?? XD

What was this one called... about this boy who grew up in confinement, and was kidnapped by outsiders where he had to live in the real unsheltered world? I remember because he started out fat and bald, and was so horrified to lose weight, get tan and grow hair. XD It was a really interesting book...

• Admin

Love ya,

Sally

Sally!!! :D:D Shame on you, girl. Took me 5 minutes to stop laughing.

Mine, not in any particular order, and not even close to an exhaustive list:

The Martian Chronicles

Lonesome Dove (best western ever)

The Andomeda Strain

Tom Sawyer

Huckleberry Finn

Catcher in the Rye

Dune

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

The Grapes of Wrath

Shogun

Guest 1charlotte1

Death note another note! I agree neuro! Excpet the names in it are rediculous, and the inability for Japanese writers to tell the difference between r and l. Otherwise, awsome!!

Guest Cody_T

oh. WOW.

I can't believe that I forgot to mention Michael Crichton!

The most talented and diligent contemporary author... I was so sad when he died.

Go read Timeline and The Great Train Robbery now :)

Guest CharlieRose
Can I add Catch 22? I love satire!

Just going to say that! "You men are American officers. No other officers of any other army in the world can say that. Think about it."

Guest April63

What about the Bible?

Harry Potter

The Lord of the Rings (even though I haven't read it yet)

The Andromeda Strain was pretty good

I actually don't read that many books