• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What Is Your Favorite Book?

Guest Nikk

Can I add Catch 22? I love satire!

I don't remember but didn't Captain Major get promoted to a Major?

@Charlotte: Speaking of satire, can't forget Alice and Wonderland can we?

This is a surprise to most people but Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was written as an exercise in logic as was the sequel Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There.

Love ya,

Sally

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sally

• Flint

• EVAN_DESU

• Carolyn Marie

The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald) is the greatest literary piece ever written.

Five Favorites:

American Psycho (Bret Easton Ellis): A favorite and a satire, but not for the squemish.

Slaughterhouse Five (Kurt Vonnegut)

The Brothers Karamazov (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)

Catcher in the Rye (JD Salinger)

The Zombie Survival Guide (Max Brooks): My personal bible. :D

Honorable Mentions:

Anything by JD Salinger, Fitzgerald, or Ellis; inparticular Nine Stories by Salinger.

You can read both Catcher and Nine Stories online legally.

I'm going to link the first of the nine because it's awesome.

http://www.freeweb.hu/tchl/salinger/perfectday.html

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I have a few for this one.

Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk

In the Forests of the night - Amelia Atwater Rhodes (I love everything she has written but that is my favorite)

Everything Tamora piece has written

Mama gone - Jane Yolen (Saddest but cutest vampire short story you will ever read) Here

The vampire lestat -Anne Rice (Again, I like all the books I have read of this series but this is my fave)

The Dexter series -Jeff Linsey (What can I say? I'm Dexter obsessed)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J.k. Rowling (Went downhill to me afterwards)

The picture of Dorian Gray -Oscar Wilde (This story is wonderful)

Count of Monte Cristo

Macbeth - William Shakesphere (I memorized Lady Macbeth's parts)

I'll spare you and not type any more but I can think of a few favorites still.

Guest ~Kelly~

Oh wow......I am about to show everyone how big of a dork I am. I just finished the Twilight Saga and loved every bit of the 2400+ pages of it.

As for other books, WICKED by Gregory Maguire (as well as Son of a Witch and I am currently reading A Lion Among Men)

Wicked was one of those life changing books.....and the musical is incredible as well but not quite a substitute for the book.

I also want to second (or third.....or whatever number we are up to by now) the recommendation for My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. It is yet another excellent book......even if I read a good portion of it through tears. On the humor side, the Hitchhiker's Guide series was great. And lastly on my "MUST READ" list is IMAJICA by Clive Barker. It is quite long but WELL worth it. I am generally not much into fantasy but this one was able to hold my interest through the set-up and then the plot and story line just sucked me in. VERY much a must read.

Guest Naomi Stardust

....favorite books NOT by me...

catcher in the rye was mentioned

slaughterhouse five, i haven't read yet but its likely to belong here

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

Shogun by James Clavell

Brain Droppings by George Carlin

Napalm and Silly Putty by George Carlin

She's Not There by Jennifer Finney Boylan

Conversations on Consciousness by Susan Blackmore (or compiled by her)

The Dream Weaver by Jack Bowen

The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson

The Far Side Gallery 2 by Gery Larson

Unnatural Selections by Gery Larson

Weiner Dog Art by Gery Larson

Nature by May Swenson

A Draft of Shadows by Octavio Paz

How We Became Human by Joy Harjo

Apple Tree Poems by Judith Anne Azrael

A Coney Island of the Mind by Lawrence Ferlinghetti

and i am likely forgetting a bunch too

i hope people keep posting on this topic

its giving me some good ideas of what to read next :)

Naomi

Guest Donna Jean

OMG, Naomi....

You're a girl after my own heart!

I could pratically copy/paste your list as my own!

Great picks!

Love

Donna Jean

Guest Naomi Stardust

B) thanks Donna Jean!

and ~Kelly~!

you're right about Imajica! Clive Barker being one of the ones i forgot

also by him, The Thief of Always

(after a quick glance at my shelf)

Dune by Frank Herbert

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

then theres a few i can't find

The Haiku Handbook by William Higgenson

a book of poems by Ursala K. Le Guin

and poems by Diane Di Prima

Guest velma
Wow. Nobody has posted a favorite-book! spazz thread yet. I'm kind of shocked. Well, anyway. Summer is approaching, and y'all know what that means? Endless hours in front of the TV. Plenty of time to read! So I figure we should post our favorites so that we don't waste our time reading absolutely blasphemorous (is that a word?) crud.

My favorite books just so happen to be:

• The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky (EVERYONE MUST READ THIS BOOK IT IS AMAZING)
    My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Piccoult (*hugs Jesse* Wait, whut? There were dying chicks in the story? Sorry, too busy being OMG JESSE to notice... Just kidding.)
    The Vampire Armand - Anne Rice (The rest are pretty good too, but this one just happens to be my favorite. Because )
    Luna - Julie Ann Peters (Best TG book I've read yet... Although I don't have all that much experience with TG books... It was still amazing.)
    A Midsummer Night's Dream - Shakespeare (I love Shakespeare, and YES I am a dork.)
    Anything by Tamora Pierce, JK Rowling, and Terry Goodkind (Read the Sword of Truth series. It's seriously the most amazing story ever)

There are others that I love, but they're not in recent enough memory for me to list them :(

So go on, list yours! I want some awesome stuff to read this summer (because I will be about 2000 miles away from a TV or a computer I can use, and thus I turn to the back up plan).

Hiya Nikki

Books....I blumming love them.

In to all sorts.....

Karin Slaughter

Stephanie Meyer...the twightlight books are fab!

Stephen King

Marian Keyes - always so so funny

Sophie Kinsella - super funny chick lit

Thats me!! Hope you can check some of them out

V

X

Guest pattib

I posted this under something else already but, I SERIOUSLY LUV THE BOOK!!!!!

The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald is my all time favorite!

Guest Dionne

Thanks for the topic Nikki. I love to read and spend way to much time doing it.

I love fantasy.

My favorite authors are Stephenie Meyer and David Eddings.

Stephenie made me cry way to much tho.

hugs,

Dionne

Guest praisedbeherhooves

:D I love Anne Rice! Anyway, here are some recommendations:

Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchet

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Good Omens by Neal Gaiman and Terry Pratchet

Cell by Stephen King

Any of the Darwin Awards books by Wendy Northcutt

Going Postal by Terry Pratchet

The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde

I'll post some more up later.

Guest Jennifer1

1. Age of mortals By Me ( not finish but hey cant i be partial for my own book?)

2. Calling from the shadows By William Mcdonald ( Friends book very very very good the way he writes you would think he knows how woman think)

3. Calling from the shadows 2 By William Mcdonald ( not sure if thats the right name. Not published yet but really good.)

4. Calling from the shadows 3 By William Mcdonald ( Seriously i dont know why he hasnt got these last two published)

5. House of night series by Kristan Cast and her mother i forget the name.

6. Darkest places series ( The summoner and The necromancer)

7. The perfume

8. Hit and Run ( By R.L. Stine go figure he can actually right something thats not goose bumbs)

9. The Host

10 Twilight series ( seriously read it way to much for it to make it much higher then my 10th)

Guest Naomi Stardust

also

Sidartha by Herman Hesse

by the way, i have a new favorite bookmark:

http://www.lauras-playground.com/forums/st...e_types/gif.gif

i found it in a book i just got from the 4th of July library book sale, where i got:

Magister Ludi by Herman Hesse

Rising Tides 20th century american women poets

The Lexicon of Stupid

The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin

Rod Sterling's The Twilight Zone

Eight Great Sherlock Holmes Stories Arthur Conan Doyle

Poetry USA

and Sacrament by Clive Barker

:D

i have been officially out of shelf space for a year now

Guest Mr.Yoav

Well, I spend a lot of time reading, so I cannot possibly list all of my favorite books here, but this is a list of stuff I can think of now:

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling( although you all knew that)

Anything by Darren Shan

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

The Lemon Tree

The Inferno of Dante( took forever to read it, but I loved every minute of it)

ANYTHING by J.R.R. Tolkien. Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, you name it, I like it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tammy Maher
Ray Bradbury

Now I have a strange feeling to make you kind of jealous...<insert evilness here>

TeeHee

Yeah I love scifi books and manga.

Guest gwenthlian

I should state before I post that because I lived in countries where english wasnt the native language, classiscs were pretty much all I could get hold of. Seriously I would have read more modern books if I could :P

A few favorites:

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray

The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Rashōmon by Akutagawa Ryūnosuke

The Complete Poems by William Blake

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

One Thousand and One Nights

I have been getting into Terry Pratchett's stuff recently though, great writer :)

@Gwenthlian

Which translation of Don Quixote did you read? The one I read I really liked. Also completely agree with you about Crime and Punishment, but Pride and Prejudice I really didn't like. It was basically just like a literary version of a chick flick. I understand it was revolutionary and all that, but still.

@Mr. Yoav

You could check out Purgatorio and Paradiso -- the other parts of the Comedia. I liked Paradiso better than Purgatorio, but the Inferno is fun in its sort of morbidity.

• 3 months later...
Guest AlexanderG

Someday This Pain Will be Useful to You

by Peter Carey.

it is the most... amazing... coming of age story... it's like the one book I'd take with me in my grave so to speak.

Guest NatashaJade

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez or Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

Both books changed me fundamentally as a writer and thinker.

Guest Natania

Well, mine are:

Blindsight by Peter Watts

Postsingular by Rudy Rucker

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle

• 1 month later...

Ok, didn't see it listed, so I put it out there.

The Dresden files by Jim Butcher.

It's up to 11 books so far, he's making #12 right now. It's the story of a Private investigator in Chicago, who's also a Wizard. There's Faries, Vampires, Werewolves, Mobsters, and cops! The first few books took some time to get into, but after # 3 or 4 and series just rocks.

• 1 month later...