• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What Is Your Favorite Book?

Guest Nikk

The Hunger Games and Catching Fire were amazing (I haven't read Mockingjay yet :( ). Those two are probably tied for the top, but maybe its just because I read them recently. Some others are The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Animal Farm, The Time Traveler's Wife, 1984, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, Gimmeacall, Flowers for Algernon, the Twilight series, the House of Night series, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, The Notebook, Tales of an Urban Werewolf, The Lovely Bones, Elsewhere, Blood Lies, Prey, the Artemis Fowl series, and plenty more.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sally

• Flint

• EVAN_DESU

• Carolyn Marie

Guest okayokay

The Hunger Games and Catching Fire were amazing (I haven't read Mockingjay yet :( ). Those two are probably tied for the top, but maybe its just because I read them recently. Some others are The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Animal Farm, The Time Traveler's Wife, 1984, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, Gimmeacall, Flowers for Algernon, the Twilight series, the House of Night series, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, The Notebook, Tales of an Urban Werewolf, The Lovely Bones, Elsewhere, Blood Lies, Prey, the Artemis Fowl series, and plenty more.

thank you for sooo many recommendations! ive been trying to get back into reading and hopefully i try a few of these books outt!

Guest okayokay

Heh, no problem :P Most of them are YA books and some are extremely YA, so if you don't like YA books I would avoid a good half of them :blush:

young adult (im assuming is YA) is my favoritee. ill need to go get these checked out or somethingg. thanks once again!

Then you'll definitely love most of them. I especially like The House of Night, because in the earlier books where the relations between humans and vampyres (yes its spelled that way) is a bigger theme I can relate to them alot being trans and all.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PhoebeJoan

My Desert Island 5...hmm...sooooo hard :wacko: So many great books out there.

I'll go with;

Watchmen - Alan Moore

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

Suttree - Cormac McCarthy

Rendevous with Rama - Arthur C Clarke

1984 - George Orwell

I can't believe I'm saying this after what I said about reading before but.... Harry Potter. Just read half blood prince and it was really good. Kept me in the whole time. O_o

Dude, I love Steinbeck!

Of mice and men is one of my fave books of all time. Steinbeck is great. :)

I've been reading a book called Lonesome Dove. I think it's another fave.

most books by Karen Rose I like too.

And Ted Dekker Books.

One of my all-time favorite books is Stephen King and Peter Straub's "Black House". I read that book so many times as a kid my copy is literally falling apart but I can't bring myself to buy a new one, it's just got way too many memories. Recently, I've also added Poppy Z Brite's "Exquisite Corpse" to the list. I love everything of her's I've read, I think she's just a fantastic writer. And "The Dresden Files". I hate fantasy almost indescriminately, but it's my favorite series ever. And, oddly enough, 'The Great Gatsby'.

Guest PhoebeJoan

When I was 12 I LOVED Brian Jacques Redwall series!

Just thought it was so cute!

Plus I have always thought eurasian badgers are adorable, and they were the wisest and strongest warriors in this series(like most badgers in fiction really)

Before then Goosebumps were all the rage. They were huge!

• 1 month later...

Here's my list from Facebook copied and pasted!! o_o

But there are so so many more!! D:

Little Brother

Bartimaeus Trilogy,

Abarat,

Gregor the Overlander,

The Time Traveller's Wife,

Uglies,

Pretties,

Specials,

Extras,

Stargirl,

A Dirty Job,

Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings,

Flush,

19 Minutes,

My Sister's Keeper,

Perfect Match,

Keeping Faith,

Change of Heart,

Vanishing Acts,

The Lovely Bones,

Lord Of The Rings,

The Hobbit,

Mountain Girl River Girl,

Gravity Journal,

Go Ask Alice,

Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan Series,

To Kill a Mockingbird

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Addis Hellfire

Top 5 for ye, in no particular order:

Dragonlance Legends: Test of the Twins

Elric of Melnibone, Book One.

Ravenloft: Carnival of Fear

Ravenloft: I, Strahd

Tales from the Nightside: Hex and the City

Guest sarah f

I have a couple that I really liked.

To Kill A Mockingbird

Lord Of The Flies

These two are probably my favorite books that I have read. They kept me into the story all the way through. That is hard to do for me since I have a very short attention span when it comes to reading books. I usually start one and never finish it.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest Selena Soh

If anyone reads this...

My favorite series/books are:

Ulrika the Vampire - Nathan Long

Gaunt's Ghosts - Dan Abnett

Skullduggery Pleasant - Derek Landy

Discworld - Terry Pratchett

Alex Rider - Anthony Horowitz

The Power of Five - Anthony Horowitz

The Shapeshifters - Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

The Song of the Lioness - Tamora Pierce

Luna - Julie Anne Peters

Gone - Michael Grant

The Dragon Book - various

Strange Angels - Lili St. Crow

Maximum Ride - James Patterson

Liberty's Crusade - Jeff Grubb

That's all off the top of my head. Yet again, I feel I'll wake up tomorrow with ten more. :l

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Avery F

I read basically anything, really. Particularly anything by Terry Pratchett, Garth Nix, or Edgar Allen Poe - love those guys. Favorite book of all time would have to be Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

• 1 month later...
Guest Groove_Ghost

I know I'm probably quite late coming in to this, but just in case anyone reads this, my favvy books are :)

The Divine Comedy

Anything at all by LJ Smith

Vampire Beach

Alice In Wonderland

Wind In The Willows

Winnie The Pooh :) soooo cute and fun

Anne Rice (fav is The Vampire Armand)

Sherlock Holmes

Dracula

Carmilla

The Last Vampire

Necronomicon-The Complete Works Of HP Lovecraft

Animal Farm

Journey To The Center Of The Earth

And many, many more :) absolutely love to read anything and everything!

Guest OneOutOfnOne

My favourite book is The Mammoth Cheese by Sheri Holman, which I'm going to summarize for you since I assume most people haven't read it. It's the story of a woman who runs a small dairy farm in present-day Virginia, while trying to raise her teenaged daughter faithfully to her old-fashioned values. But the daughter grows dangerously close to her subversive history teacher, their small town is ravaged by the media when a neighbour gives birth to eleven children at once, and all the while her farm is on the brink of foreclosure after too many generations of sinking slowly into debt. Her only hope is a candidate for the upcoming U.S. Presidential election, who promises debt forgiveness to owners of small farms. The story is brilliantly told, weaving history into politics into a touching, personal story.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Adrianna

My favourite books(eries) are:

The Hunger Games Series

The Foundation Series

Shannara Series

Ender's Game Series

Vladimir Todd Series

(Don't know if comic books count, but) Mayo Chiki!

Real heavy into scifi, in case you couldn't tell, but I also have a passing interest in vampire fantasy <3 (And not fake, twilight vampires, sorry if I'm steppping on any toes >.>)

• 2 months later...
Guest Nikki_R

Do I have to pick one?

If I must pick one...

Dune. In hindsight, Paul was mostly likely transgendered in my opinion. Or may be I'm attributing that to him, hehe.

Other books...

The rest of the Dune books, and I do think Brian and Kevin have done Frank well and not ruined the series. Most anything from Charles Stross. Isaac Asimov is classic. Ben Bova, albeit very linear, but still really good. Can I say nerd books? Calculus by Spivak is top notch. The Feynmann series for his intro to physics is up there too. The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene.

My favorite book is - get ready for a shameless plug - "Poems From A Transgendered Heart" by me - available from Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble!

Love ya,

Sally

I still love Douglas Adams and all of his work.

Guest Berenice_TS

Well I'll start out by saying my favorite author is H. P. Lovecraft. If you haven't heard of him, please do look him up, he's pretty extraordinary in his own way. Second long time fave is Edgar Allan Poe. Being the nerd I am I can spout all of both their biographies minus the exact dates without even looking at anything. As for anything else I'll read about anything, mostly horror and sci/fi. I also really enjoy manga, with my favorite manga author/artist being Junji Ito with his work Uzumaki.