• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

do you think you were born trans or outside the binary genders for a reason?

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

I tend to believe things happen for a reason. I haven't figured out exactly why I was born trans other then use learn and help others to understand who we are and help further our cause to be accepted for who we are.

• Heather Shay changed the title to do you think you were born trans or outside the binary genders for a reason?
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nora

• Aggie1

• Ivy

• KimmieElise

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a very good question @Shay.@Shay. Yesterday, my husband asked me basically the same question, specifically from a spiritual perspective. I said perhaps I was born with this body and gender ID because it's ideal for me to learn and experience what I need to in this life. Now that you ask, I would add: also so that I can be a blessing to others in my own unique way to glorify the infinite creativity of the Divine. I pray for that last part to become better realized. 

• Forum Moderator

I'd have to say yes. There were so, so many signs.

I don't really think the divine, if it exists, really has a plan. It feels more companionable to me. Like we're both figuring things out. My therapist though, she has suggested that I was put on this earth to challenge my parents in their terrible belief system.

Hugs!

God often uses people others reject to upset the apple cart of people who are arrogant.  There is a saying, "The Lord comforts the afflicted and afflicts the comfortable."  Some people say God made a mistake when He made them.  They say He put them in the wrong body.  I kinda think differently.  I don't think the Father made a mistake in my case at all.  I think there are a number of reasons I am trans, and I think one of them is to confound the members of my own faith who think they know it all, and are better than someone like me.  I think part of what I am called to do is be a bridge between LGBT people and Christians.

I think Christian culture in the West has been infiltrated by Dark Triad personalities (Narcissistic, Machiavelllian, and Psychopathic).  Dark Triads tend to work their way into positions of power and since Christianity dominated the West for so many centuries, it stands to reason such individuals sought positions of power within Christian institutions.  Christian culture has learned and has come to perpetuate the Dark Triad practices of finger pointing and judgement, abandoning its roots in humility.  As a result, Christian culture has become toxic.

The Bible suggests the Father will not support a people who are arrogant, and there are plenty of examples in the Bible of the corrupt and content being subjected to calamity.  The whole story of the nation of Israel during the Time of the Judges was one of a cycle of prosperity, complacency, and lack of conviction, followed by being sacked by their enemies.  Every time they were sacked they get their act together, get humble, and they prosper.  Rinse and repeat.  All through this, the Father used "misfits" and socially "objectionable people" to rock the boat and often warn the people of their impending doom.  I think my very existence upsets the powers that be.

• Admin

The reason being that I am a human being. Trans is in the entire spectrum of human life development as an expected and survivable human trait whose bearers are and can be valuable, contributing, and honorable members of society.  It is not a disease, physical or mental to be Gender Dysphoric, and while we get the Flu or other viruses, break legs, have heart attacks or strokes or even cancer like the rest of humans, it was not because of our Trans configuration.  It is fun being a little different after the fear and shame have worn off and the fog on that fun that has been lifted by HRT makes the sun shine brighter.  (I took part in a science study where they found that a gene affecting T absorption and and use had done something crazy but predictable to geneticists.  E simply did a better job for me). 

Yes I have my own spiritual outlooks that include my Celtic and Native American DNA presence and I do feel at home in my Episcopal Church, but even other faiths as well.  Getting the little hormone difference in phase has given me the ability to see that more clearly.

It may be a few things happening. For some they know in early childhood. I suspect that others evolve. Like so many things, gender is on a spectrum and that's the simple part. 

This study sheds some light on it. http://transcience-project.org/brain_sex.html and shows how complex this is.

The transgender brain is very different than male and female brains. The article discusses that the brain differences were there before hormone therapy was started. 

Long ago trans folks and intergender folls were considered a "3rd gender" especially in the more enlightened non Western cultures. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_gender

When our sex/gender is determined an lot of things need to take place biologically so the chances of "error" are there. In my case I was born to an alcoholic mother and I was born with undescended testicles and hernias. While I have normal looking genitalia I have down there what looks a bit like a vulva. In my mother's mind I was supposed to be a girl and she was going to name me Bridgette.  I required surgeries.

It gets so complicated! I am fascinated by AIS women. The have XY chromosomes but they look mostly like females. Many look like super models and it's been long rumored that Jamie Lee Curtis and Kim Novak are AIS females. 

This video may melt your mind.

A person with complete AIS appears to be female but has no uterus. They have very little armpit and pubic hair. At puberty, female sex characteristics (such as breasts) develop. However, the person does not menstruate and become fertile. People with partial AIS may have both male and female physical characteristics.
medlineplus.gov/ency/article/001180.htm
  • Forum Moderator
On 9/29/2021 at 10:02 AM, Sometimes Chrissie said:

I am fascinated by AIS women.

That makes two of us. Great information Chrissie.

Thank You,

Susan R?

Shay,

My guess is that I was born trans as a result of the randomness rules of the universe - someone had to be trans, so why not me.  That said, I honestly consider myself lucky to have been born this way.  I believe being a little different has had a positive influence on my personality, my empathy, and my outlook on life in general.  Yes, it can be a challenge at times, but if I had another life to live, I'm not sure I'd change a thing...well, except maybe the size of my feet.  If I could wear a size-9, the world would be my oyster.

I love this thread so far! So affirming! ??

@KimmieElise what you shared made me think of a book I recently read, "The Time is Now, A Call to Uncommon Courage" by Sr. Joan Chittister. Her focus is on Jesus the prophet and what it means to lead a phophetic life. It's a swift kick in the patootie. I found it to be inspiring. 

I always think something happens for a reason. I oddly have a strong belief in destiny. For now, I still didn't find any reason as to why I am trans in this life. I think the universe made me grow up amongst girls and as a girl to not end up being a misogynist. My whole life I've seen men disrespect women and treat them like they were inferior to them. But I could never do such a thing. Thanks to all I've seen, my relationship to women is very different compared to how cis men perceive them. 

For example, there's tiny things like putting my girlfriend's happiness and satisfaction as a priority. I don't think I would've thought this way if I was brought up as a man, cause from what I see, cisgendered men around me don't seem to care about a woman's needs. 

I think of it like a cake. There's different ingredients involved that are not in themselves limited to cake making, but the sum of them, or the synergy and sum of different "elements" under the "right" conditions results in a particular manifestation. 

On 9/29/2021 at 11:22 AM, Susan R said:

That makes two of us. Great information Chrissie.

Thank You,

Susan R?

I try to "science" everything.  

As to AIS women: From a purely practical standpoint they have to be every man's dream. I've been in relationships with women who had PMS/PMDD and it's not pleasant. Menopause can be rough on a relationship. For 7 days, pre-menopausal women are often not at their best and often PMS is extends that time period. American women seem to suffer more than women in other cultures. When I was a libidinous guy I wanted sex all the time and often I felt gypped. Most men feel that way.  It would seem that an AIS woman would always be ready as would a transwoman. That has to be very appealing to a lot of men.  

It's also a proven fact that people who have regular sex are healthier and they live longer. 

At the risk of sounding like a complete male chauvinist pig, I suppose if I went back in time knowing what I know now, I'd look long and hard for an AIS or trans female.

I was inspired to write the song XY Girl mostly because of a video that surfaced of two jealous sickos nearly killing a Chrissie Lee Polis a transwoman in a Baltimore McDonalds while the other animals filmed it. I was also inspired to write it because of seeing a lot of the crazy making stuff XX females in my orbit have done to family and friends. When I was playing in clubs my band mates and I were often "sexually assaulted". We mostly laughed it off and drummers, being the animals that they, are would often hook up with these aggressive groupies. 

Back to the topic: How someone gets there to where they need to transition is often simple for some and complex for others. My dysphoria is complex but not all that troubling. If my sexual orientation changes, that may be fun.

19 hours ago, Sometimes Chrissie said:

It may be a few things happening. For some they know in early childhood. I suspect that others evolve. Like so many things, gender is on a spectrum and that's the simple part. 

This study sheds some light on it. http://transcience-project.org/brain_sex.html and shows how complex this is.

The transgender brain is very different than male and female brains. The article discusses that the brain differences were there before hormone therapy was started. 

Long ago trans folks and intergender folls were considered a "3rd gender" especially in the more enlightened non Western cultures. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_gender

When our sex/gender is determined an lot of things need to take place biologically so the chances of "error" are there. In my case I was born to an alcoholic mother and I was born with undescended testicles and hernias. While I have normal looking genitalia I have down there what looks a bit like a vulva. In my mother's mind I was supposed to be a girl and she was going to name me Bridgette.  I required surgeries.

It gets so complicated! I am fascinated by AIS women. The have XY chromosomes but they look mostly like females. Many look like super models and it's been long rumored that Jamie Lee Curtis and Kim Novak are AIS females. 

This video may melt your mind.

A person with complete AIS appears to be female but has no uterus. They have very little armpit and pubic hair. At puberty, female sex characteristics (such as breasts) develop. However, the person does not menstruate and become fertile. People with partial AIS may have both male and female physical characteristics.

Thank you for sharing this. I found it fascinating. 

• Forum Moderator
On 9/30/2021 at 4:35 AM, Erica Gabriel said:

I found it fascinating.

I agree with Erica Gabriel.? @Sometimes Chrissie Thanks for sharing this info and the song.

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator

I believe I was born transgender.  From a physical perspective, the biological reasons are fairly clear, though they involve some speculation (i.e. DES).

From a philosophical / religious perspective, it is much less clear.  I am a Buddhist, and the Buddhist explanation would be "karma".  Which doesn't mean that "I deserved it"; it means that there are no doubt reasons, but they are unknowable and pointless to speculate about.

I was raised in a nominally Christian family, and I still speak that language fluently enough.  In that language, I do not believe that God makes mistakes, and I do not believe that I am a mistake.  God no doubt had His reasons, about which it is blasphemous to speculate.

All of which combines to tell me not to worry about it.  In the words of a great philosopher, "I yam what I yam, and that's all that I yam."

I believe that philosopher is the great Popeye, yes?

"I yam what I yam, and that's all that I yam."

I too am a Buddhist sprung from a childhood of Christianity—and I totally agree with your assessment, @KathyLauren. Well put, thanks.

— Davie

On 9/29/2021 at 6:50 AM, Vidanjali said:

This is a very good question @Shay.@Shay. Yesterday, my husband asked me basically the same question, specifically from a spiritual perspective. I said perhaps I was born with this body and gender ID because it's ideal for me to learn and experience what I need to in this life. Now that you ask, I would add: also so that I can be a blessing to others in my own unique way to glorify the infinite creativity of the Divine. I pray for that last part to become better realized. 

On 9/29/2021 at 6:20 AM, Shay said:

I tend to believe things happen for a reason. I haven't figured out exactly why I was born trans other then use learn and help others to understand who we are and help further our cause to be accepted for who we are.

Yes I believe that. I think it is in the genes. started at a very young age , early teens when I started to think about a sex change anf it stuck with me.later on I  it sort of passed and got married but it did not leave me. later on we started to have issues with sex  ot lack of.so I had a short affair which the wife found out but said it was because of the lack of lovemaking it passed and we were good for few more years and then it started again. she didnt like me touching her breasts alll of a sudden told me if I wanted to play with breasts play with my own that when I decided to grow my own. the longer i was in hrt the more fem I became and more CD it got to the point I was consumed with being trans and started to look for male partners. it wasnt long after that she passed and got remarried but still have deep trans feeling. Curious as to when others felt the were trans

On 9/29/2021 at 9:53 PM, Sometimes Chrissie said:

I was inspired to write the song XY Girl

That’s a haunting melody, a pretty song!

On 9/29/2021 at 10:02 AM, Sometimes Chrissie said:

A person with complete AIS appears to be female but has no uterus.

…Profile of two women…

… it doesn’t mean I can’t sky dive someday …

... Be in your skin …

… Be in this moment …

… I check the F box, but only because there is a box …

My heart just melted ? 

On 9/29/2021 at 8:55 AM, VickySGV said:

I am a human being. Trans is in the entire spectrum of human life development as an expected and survivable human trait whose bearers are and can be valuable, contributing, and honorable members of society. 

No more complicated than that really!

On 9/29/2021 at 7:22 AM, KimmieElise said:

Christian culture in the West has been infiltrated by Dark Triad personalities (Narcissistic, Machiavelllian, and Psychopathic).  Dark Triads tend to work their way into positions of power and since Christianity dominated the West for so many centuries, it stands to reason such individuals sought positions of power within Christian institutions.  Christian culture has learned and has come to perpetuate the Dark Triad practices of finger pointing and judgement, abandoning its roots in humility.  As a result, Christian culture has become toxic.

Fascinating! As much as today’s Christian institutions rail against a totalitarian dogma where “might makes right”, it’s instructive to note that the church does use the levers of power to impose its orthodoxy on its members. Isn’t excommunication a form of might making the body “right?” Not as permanent as in previous ages where burning at the stake was used for those who refused to recant their particular heresy. The excommunication ritual certainly sends a message to the rest of the congregation to keep themselves and their loved ones in line to maintain the purity of the Church.

I wonder what an omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent God must think of all this!? If anything, admitting to myself that I am who I am has allowed me to see a bigger God that the one I saw through the Westminster Catechism.

I suppose the answer to the question posed is that my “reason” for being born trans is identical with my reason for being born in the first place. According to the Westminster Catechism, “Man’s chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever”.  There are hundreds of stories in the Bible of misfits giving glory. The lineage of Christ is littered with them!  Far too many to recount and it wouldn’t be fair to single any one out!!

I look at the Universe in all its incredible detail and I really have to wonder how to understand a singularity exploding ex nihilo in a “Big Bang” without a prime mover, with all the fine tuned constants of nature. The improbability of it all blows my mind. 

I guess I would have to echo what that XY woman said: “Be in the moment. Be in your skin.” That’s all I can do and it’s enough!

7 hours ago, AgnesBardsie said:

… it doesn’t mean I can’t sky dive someday …

... Be in your skin …

… Be in this moment …

… I check the F box, but only because there is a box …

My heart just melted ? 

I was watching an episode of House (a show about and irreverent doctor) where he discovered than on of his patients was AIS. His snide comment was, "How do your like that? The perfect woman is really a man". Based on my years on this planet, I think Dr House had a point.

On 9/29/2021 at 5:20 AM, Shay said:

I don't know if I was born trans or not, and I don't really care because it really doesn't matter either way at the end of the day lol.

...I showed enough signs ever since babyhood that my mother wasn't even the least bit surprised when I came out to her...if that means anything LOL. ?

On 9/29/2021 at 8:22 AM, KimmieElise said:

I think Christian culture in the West has been infiltrated by Dark Triad personalities (Narcissistic, Machiavelllian, and Psychopathic). 

Dark Triad? ...That's a little offensive to sufferers from narcissistic personality disorder, as well as sufferers of anti-social and borderline personality disorder (sociopaths/psychopaths). ...Not to mention slightly offensive towards military generals the world over who use Machiavellian strategies on the battlefield lol.

There's nothing inherently "dark" or "wrong" with being a narcissist, psychopath, or sociopath; there's not even anything inherently wrong with manipulation. Plenty of people with mental illness manage to live perfectly normal, peaceful lives. They're really no different than you or me! XD

....Sincerely, a probable sociopath lmao. ?

I don't believe in good and evil. ?

1 hour ago, Nora said:

I don't believe in good and evil

A friend of mine put it this way a couple of nights ago when we were having a similar conversation…

”I believe in decisions and consequences.”

… interesting way to look at things…

• Jackie C. locked this topic