• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Good morning All. Coffees on.

KymmieL

13 minutes ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

It seems like a lot of military folks get into the heavy drinking....nothing else to do when off duty?  I've noticed that bars tend to be where people gather around here, for a lot of reasons.  Thankfully, most of the bars serve food and soda, so there are options for people who are trying to cut back.  Besides, drinking at a bar is really expensive!  I can get a 6-pack or a bottle (or two) of wine for the price of a single beer at a bar.  Crazy! 

When I go out with my friends, I'm frequently the designated driver.  I just don't feel comfortable drinking much outside home.  Probably why I overdid it accidentally on Friday night.  Since the party was at home, I wasn't my usual cautious self.  I felt like crap all Saturday, and then we had the time change last night and I got an hour less sleep... I feel like I'm in a fog.  I went to Temple this morning, but I don't remember much.  And I'm pretty sure I fell asleep during the sermon.  😒 

The military has it's own unique stressors. You don't get paid much and the conditions are horrible. Home station I saw it get to 120 with humidity. I have also seen -40. If you didn't prepare for the whole day your life was going to be miserable. I have seen it as hot as 156 in deployed and saw it in the 40's in Iraq. It was miserable when it was cold because they gave you gear for hot weather but not when it got cold. You were constantly micromanaged even when you were off duty. My squadron was called in at 230 even when two hours later we would be working. The commander did it just because he was a DICK! When you became an Non Commissioned Officer and supervised troops you didn't have much time. You had to spend your off duty time with your troop to make sure they were doing on the job training and career development courses. You might've gotten to see your spouse or kids a couple of hours. The military didn't care about your spouse or kids. You had to put the military first. You better hope your troops didn't do so dumb stuff because you would be in front of the commander in dress blues aka class a's explaining why they did something dumb. You had to maintain physical fitness at all times. About the only time you weren't stressed out was when you were drunk or on good medication. I was even called while I was on leave! The funny thing is as crappy as it was I would do it again especially for the man and or woman right next to me. I have seen some troops mop in the rain outside. I have seen sweeping or vacuuming the sidewalk. There were a lot of times when they made you feel so useless and less of a human. When I was in there was the buddy system and it was easily seen. I lost it mentally and said I was going to kill myself. They immediately took my sidearm and then had the guts to ask me why I felt that way. I pointed out that I was one of the higher ranking NCO's and was riding gates. At that time I was on gates for 18 days straight! The lower NCO's were riding in patrols or doing something a lot more than what I was doing. The airman (lowly ranked) were even bringing it up as to why I was on the gates so much. After I lost it I had to go to mental health for a week. I was prescribed happy pills and then once I could prove I was sane enough to carry weapons again they let me finally do riding patrols. I rarely worked a gate after that. Other favorited things that happen if you were in a decision if they would choose to pick for promotion and there was a female you might as well give up. It finally got to top of the chain of command in the Air Force and that got squashed. 

• Replies 23.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Willow

• KymmieL

• Mmindy

• Ivy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Ashley0616 said:

My squadron was called in at 230 even when two hours later we would be working. The commander did it just because he was a DICK! 

That was early in the morning. There was an investigation as to how bad morale was and it went all the way up to Air Force Investigator Group. He was replaced a few months after. 

48 minutes ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

Probably why I overdid it accidentally on Friday night.  Since the party was at home, I wasn't my usual cautious self.  I felt like crap all Saturday, and then we had the time change last night and I got an hour less sleep... I feel like I'm in a fog.  I went to Temple this morning, but I don't remember much.  And I'm pretty sure I fell asleep during the sermon.  😒 

You were doing better than me. If I was too much inebriated I didn't even go.

2nd coffee of the day, a late one! Early flight to LA this morning. Hello West Coast members!

1 minute ago, MaeBe said:

2nd coffee of the day, a late one! Early flight to LA this morning. Hello West Coast members!

Safe travels and have fun!

1 hour ago, Ashley0616 said:

You were doing better than me. If I was too much inebriated I didn't even go.

Oh, I was quite sober by then.  I just don't bounce back from stupid stuff like I did 10 years ago.  I still look like a teenager, but I'm definitely not feeling like one.  I can't wait to see what things feel like 10 years from now 🙄

Sounds like your military time was rough.  I guess a lot of people's is.  If its that bad, no wonder my husband got out after a while, rather than sticking around.  He was a National Guard NCO - chaplain assistant.  I'm guessing the "they don't care about your family" aspect was what did it for him.  He was married by then and the kids kept coming.  He's been on the County Defense Board since 2020, and it keeps him busy enough.

GF just came back from a quick run to town...she's swearing about the latest issue of Hot Rod Magazine.  I guess its gone to crap...something about being quarterly and thin instead of monthly and 150 pages.  Shrinkflation hits everything now, I guess, not just potato chips. 😓  Oh, but the economy is "great" and the USA is doing so well. 🤮  My only answer to things is to curl up and sleep.  I still do that well enough, and they can't shrink-flation the size of my nest. 

31 minutes ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

I guess its gone to crap...something about being quarterly and thin instead of monthly and 150 pages. 

Print media in general is on the ropes.

• Forum Moderator

Drinking in the military, well I suppose that was expected.  They had clubs on base for the grunts, and for NCOs and for Officers.  All conveniently separate and all served cheap alcohol.  All allowed gambling.  And if there were any, fraternizing with the opposite sex. (Same sex relations got you a dishonorable discharge real quick in my day.)

Basically, there wasn’t much else to do when you were off duty. Get a haircut, do your laundry, go to the base exchange or drink.  Old movies, if there was a theater, or new ones if you had a car and were allowed off base.  Having an open ended class A pass was a great privilege.

Changing the subject, I learned when my wife comes home later this week I am going to have to give her IV antibiotics, and care for her wound vac so I have to be at the hospital to be shown how to do both.  I already give myself shots IM but not the same. This requires flushing a port, injecting into the port and flushing it again.  If you don’t do that right the port clogs and you have to get a new one placed.  And since this is all about stopping an infection extra care has to be taken to keep things sterile.

Willow

Boyfriend came over tonight and we watched Boy Meets Girl together.Plus said he has a lot of respect for transgender women now hearing what I went through.Watch this

I've seen Boy Meets Girl—excellent movie. Enjoy.  —Davie 

6 hours ago, Adrianna Danielle said:

Boyfriend came over tonight and we watched Boy Meets Girl together.Plus said he has a lot of respect for transgender women now hearing what I went through.Watch this

Just curious does he have a brother? LOL

9 hours ago, Willow said:

Changing the subject, I learned when my wife comes home later this week I am going to have to give her IV antibiotics, and care for her wound vac so I have to be at the hospital to be shown how to do both.  I already give myself shots IM but not the same. This requires flushing a port, injecting into the port and flushing it again.  If you don’t do that right the port clogs and you have to get a new one placed.  And since this is all about stopping an infection extra care has to be taken to keep things sterile.

Willow

I used to do IVs when I was in the military and it's kind of challenging but doable. It's better if they are well hydrated. Opposite end of the elbow is typically where most are done. If nothing is found there than the backside of the hand would be next. It's more painful there but the good thing is she'll still have full range of motion vs not being able to bend the elbow. Hopefully they'll give you the newer retractable needles. Those are amazing. Hopefully they'll do the setup at the hospital because it can last 72 hours if I'm not mistaken. If it's not done in a sterile environment it has to be changed in less than 24 hours. 

1 hour ago, Ashley0616 said:

Just curious does he have a brother? LOL

Yes and is married

1 minute ago, Adrianna Danielle said:

Yes and is married

Aw shucks. Oh well I guess. LOL 

Ever get the feeling that the world has passed you by? I say that in a jocular fashion; so much has gone on with y'all since I last dropped in here. I can't keep up!

Condolences again @Birdie and good luck with your remaining surgeries, best wishes @Willow, I'm happy for you @Adrianna Danielle, sending you positive vibes @Ashley0616!

I pinched a nerve in my back a month ago and the referred pain down through my buttock/hip/thigh and beyond was horrible, even excruciating at times. I'm almost recovered now, but I'm not looking forward to it happening again, which is apparently likely! There was a positive out of it all though. Even before seeking treatment I started going to the pool for hydrotherapy, and combined with regular physio it has motivated me to exercise more and improve my diet a bit. I'm losing weight! Down 3kg so far!

• Forum Moderator

Good morning everyone 

Coffee…

Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

IMG_0625.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Mirrabooka said:

Ever get the feeling that the world has passed you by? I say that in a jocular fashion; so much has gone on with y'all since I last dropped in here. I can't keep up!

Condolences again @Birdie and good luck with your remaining surgeries, best wishes @Willow, I'm happy for you @Adrianna Danielle, sending you positive vibes @Ashley0616!

I pinched a nerve in my back a month ago and the referred pain down through my buttock/hip/thigh and beyond was horrible, even excruciating at times. I'm almost recovered now, but I'm not looking forward to it happening again, which is apparently likely! There was a positive out of it all though. Even before seeking treatment I started going to the pool for hydrotherapy, and combined with regular physio it has motivated me to exercise more and improve my diet a bit. I'm losing weight! Down 3kg so far!

Congratulations! It's such a wonderful feeling to lose weight. If only it came off quicker and easier that would be even better. 

22 minutes ago, Mmindy said:

Good morning everyone 

Coffee…

Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

IMG_0625.jpeg

I would say that or a jack from the game with a ball and jacks. Those things might end up being worse. I haven't seen that game around much and I'm sure if it did the jacks would be a lot softer. Funny how things have gotten so much safer. 

42 minutes ago, Ashley0616 said:

haven't seen that game around much

Me either.  Those things can be rough to step on.

There are a lot of games kids used to play that you don't see anymore.  Probably cause video games.  Even young kids play on phones and iPads.

Seems like a loss to me.

2 hours ago, Ashley0616 said:

I would say that or a jack from the game with a ball and jacks. Those things might end up being worse. I haven't seen that game around much and I'm sure if it did the jacks would be a lot softer. Funny how things have gotten so much safer. 

I never had jacks or legos as a kid.  Actually, I didn't have much as a kid.... marbles and a couple of balls.  I had to look up what jacks are... not sure how you'd play a game with those, but they look like miniature caltrops!  😵  GF taught me what caltrops are... used for punching holes in tires, or in the old days for slowing down cavalry. 

We've got a lot of kids at home, but no hazardous toys.  And what toys there are, my husband expects to be put away.  Big emphasis on the kids cleaning up after themselves.  But after age 5, kids spend more time learning at school or doing chores at home than they do playing. 

• Forum Moderator

Jacks vs LEGOS 

There is no comparison between the two for foot pain when walking on a hardwood floor in the dark. The Jack is a mini version of the Czech Hedgehogs used to defend the Beaches of France.

They could puncture the soles of your feet. LEGOS are small squares that are an inconvenience. Boomers know the difference. 

Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️

IMG_0629.jpeg

Simple game.  Bounce the ball and try to pick up the jacks before catching the ball again.

• Forum Moderator

If I remember correctly you spill the jacks out of a cup or could be your hand, then bounce the ball and pick up one Jack and catch the ball, next it was two, then three, and so on until you picked up all ten on one bounce.  Harder than it sounds when you got into the higher numbers.  You lost if you got too few or to many or didn’t catch the ball before it bounced again.  It taught dexterity and counting.

and people say we didn’t have educational games.  Building blocks, jacks, running, jumping, they all were good things for kids, not sitting around in front of a boobtube or computer game.  

I think we were better educated about a lot of things, but I also admit that we life in a computerized world today and you’d better have a good grasp of computers and computer programs if you want to get ahead.

good night, 

coffee time is getting closer

Willow

Well, good morning.... its 3:30am and somehow I'm wide awake.  I wish I could ever get my sleep schedule settled down. 🤔  I'm sure I'll feel like trash all day, although I'm going to try to curl up and get back to sleep.  Of course if I sleep after about 6am, there's nobody in my nest with me anymore, and I get cold and lonely. 

Unfortunately for me, I may soon be doing without my husband some nights.  He's got some work to do in another county, advising the development of their local defense.  Their population is 5x ours, but they haven't developed nearly the resources we do.  So he's doing inspections, meetings, and planning sessions some evenings, and maybe on weekends.  Due to location, he might not come home those nights 😢  I'm starting to wonder if this will be 2020 all over again, and that thought is really discouraging.  Especially at this hour when I'm awake and no thoughts are good. 

Back to my nest to attempt sleep again...

Good morning,

Today I went and did a little shopping at one of those places where they write your name outside the changing room, so gave them the name I seemed to have settled on, it was nice. Though when paying there was the old name on the card.