• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How Did You Choose Your Female Name?

Guest Dr.Metropolis

Guest Rita_Rodriguez

I was talking with some friends and they unanimously exclaimed RITA, why? Because it was short, vibrant and matched my personality in its verbal energy. It wasn't the top 50 names of my time but it still ranked in the 400's so not out of the question and if I want to stealth my last name is far too common in the Bronx.

They came up with other names as well and they all had pretty meanings and sounded rather exotic they didn't flow very well. Rita is a fairly feminine name but it has that tom boy characteristic to it that I fell in love with as well.

I am thinking of giving myself the middle name Genevieve, resistance through peace.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sally

• Carolyn Marie

• Cyndee

• KathrynJulia

Guest .Christine Elizabeth.

The names (not that I think of them often now days, I think my personality has settled down some) that make up my screen name are Eldon, which was generated by a steampunk name generator that felt was more feminine than masculine, the T comes from my given name. Agatha, Juliet, and Christine just showed up when my personality was more fluid. Johnathon came from something I tried to do, where I wrote a blog from the point of view of a completly fictional character, and it fit a certain masculine portion idly fluid personality. Now, I would like to go as Christine Stephanie (my given middle name is Stephen) Meyer.

Guest Willowli

My friend and I were just joking around because I loved the song "Whip My Hair' by Willow Smith.

So my friend called me Willow, and I really loved that name so it stuck with me. <3

Guest PhoebeJoan

My parents were planning to name me Phoebe if I was born a GG, so I plan to honour that. The only issue is that my brother is going out with a girl who has a sister named Phoebe :/

My male name is Reuben, and I like the name and wanted to keep that in some way. Ruby and its variations doesnt quite fit or work for me, and is very common right now. I may end up going with something like Phoebe Ru or even Phoebe Ruth. Everyone calls me Ru anyway.

Originally I was using Renee. But due to it's 'reborn' meaning, it is not uncommon in the trans community, and nowadays the idea of rebirth is something I would like to steeraway from. Also, most Renee's I have known have had short, blonde hair, which is how I saw myself, so it was the first name to come to mind. J names I liked for a middle name include Joan and Jocelyn, but neither quite fit. It's important to sort between the names you like that would work for yourself, or be better suited to your future children.

I'm planning to file change of name paperwork in coming months, and I am starting to settle on Phoebe 'Ru' Ruth :) My grandfather's older sister is a Ruth, so it also honours a family name as well.

Guest Nightgirl

I chose Lillian form my real mother she died when I was 12 years old. I remember how beautiful she was. I hope to look half as good as her someday.

Love Lillian

Guest Desiree G

I've gone with Desirée Marie Glover.

Desirée is a name I have always loved, and it's one I'm comfortable with. It's not used a lot, that I've noticed, so I felt it could also be a nice way to stand out.

Marie is...well...I've always liked it too, It's short, it's simply, and I think it's pretty, it suits what I feel and what I need.

Glover is a family name. Which half of the family or how far back...I'll leave that unsaid for now. It holds sentimental purposes for me, though.

I toyed with Elizabeth for a first name, but it's done a lot, and it shares some in common with my familial nickname which I'd rather distance myself from in time.

Though 'Lizzy-Marie' could be a cute name itself...

Guest Kaitlyn16

I originally considered a variety of names, like Rachel, Erica, Kristina, but eventually I settled with Kaitlyn. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's the name I would have been given if I had been born a girl, so that's an interesting coincidence if you ask me O.o

Why did I choose it though? Hmm... I guess it just sounds like it properly personifies my inner feminity... It just fits. :) It's cute, girly, and strangely enough, I'm pretty sure it's what my parents would have called me anyway! So I guess it works out for everybody. In the event I actually get to use it -.-

• 2 months later...
Guest Stormrider2112

Almost all of my female cousins (7 out of 11) have C/K names (like Colleen, Katie, and Kerrie), so I figured, "Why buck the trend?!" :) Middle name is a name my paternal grandmother wanted a granddaughter to be named (after her mother that died at a very young age). I thumbed through "K" named that sounded good, looked good when I wrote it, and wasn't a name used by a friend or relative (because, "Hey, I named myself after you!" is kinda creepy, IMO), so I came up with Kylie Lora. Keeping my last name since I'm the last person in my family with it (well, my great-grandfather and his brother came over from Scotland around 1905, my GGF settled in Maine, his brother in New Jersey, so there may be more there, but I've never had contact with anyone on that side).

Also, Kylie looks so cute in cursive and badass in a good power/speed metal logo font :D

Guest LauraJen

At a very early stage I was keen on Jennifer, and was going to create a character of that name to play as in a Pokemon game. They only allow 7 letters in a name, though, so thought up of ways to shorten it. From that, I came up with Jenna, and thought I'd invented some super-pretty girls' name - it wasn't until I tried looking it up when i found that it is in fact a given name.

I have Laura for a middle name at the moment - there have been times when I've experimented with the order.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PhoebeJoan

I have finally settled on Ruth Janelle. It keeps my R.J. initials, which I am quite fond of, and both names also have some family history. It looks believable, traditional yet uncommon. It just feels right for me and looks professional. And those close to me can continue calling me Ru for short. Perfect! Im very happy with it :)

Guest Groove_Ghost

I picked Jessica because before deciding on transition I had already changed my name to "Jesse", and had that for quite a few years, it was after the main char in Preacher. It was easier for my friends and family to call me something similar to my old name :) also I like the meaning "God exists" its different and pretty, not a lot of girls where I live with the name so I stand out and quite like it.

Guest SaleneAlexis

I have always thought of myself as Stephanie, something just held true to that name, so I gave Myself that name and everyone called me it so it stuck

Stephanie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nurseling

My Dad started showing the signs of Alzheimer's about 10 years ago. So I took his name Jim and took a feminized version Jamie. Surprisingly, it fits very well. I even did the research for when the name was popular and my date of birth falls in the range. I know it is sort of different to use your name as a reminder of your Dad, but this way I feel he is still here with me. He always said he wanted a daughter.

nurseling

Guest shadowghost21

I have always enjoyed crafting stories and thinking of names for the characters. I also played a lot of RPGs so over the years I found a few names that I really gravitated to and they stuck around. My favorite being Kaili, she is my all female side that I have always used in online games because it's easier to be yourself when you can design your avatar and no one needs to hear your voice ;)

--

-Kaili <3

I came up with stories all the time as a kid, and the protagonist of 90% of them was a girl named Jade. She was who I wanted to be, I wrote about her as though she was a better version of myself, and when I realised I couldn't keep going by my male name, there wasn't ever a doubt that my real name would be Jade.

My mom who was always there for me, Who was kind and thoughful. She's gone now. Her name was Kathryn Julia, but was always called Kay. I don't think she would mind me adopting her given name and she would be proud to share it with me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JordynK

Jordyn has been the only name that really "clicks" with me when I think of names. It's the only one I've felt I would be comfortable with, and when I imagine friends and family referring to me as that, it feels natural and right.

Guest KarenLyn

When I was 13, and my body was busy playing hormone wars, I asked myself what my name would have been if I'd been born with the right body. Almost before I had the thought out the name Karen popped into my mind. My middle name, Lyn, came almost as quickly. I filed those away for a lot of years before coming out. I've been Karen legally for a long time now and never had a desire to try anything else.

Karen Lyn Dehn

USN Ret.

My mother was always called Kay, but I loved her given name, Kathryn Julia. She tried to help me while I was growing up to deal with my gender dysphoria. She's gone now and she would be pleased and proud for me to use her name.

Kathryn Julia

• 1 month later...
Guest Wil-something

When I transition, I will probably go with a female version of my name. Unfortunately, my name ends with "-son", so there is a problem. Oh well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Guest kazuri

I was going to be named Alexandria if I was born a girl, and my middle name is Alexander, so I just decided to keep it lol. I am going to keep my middle name as my first name unless I can think of a better middle name lol

Guest RainingOnTheSky

I like this thread, very insightful!

Personally, I picked up Amanda around age 11 or so, from some girl I was jealous of no doubt. Later, I added Katherine as a middle name, as I thought it sounded pretty.

However, as I've given more thought to transition than my 11 year old self, I think Brenna is quite fitting, and I haven't really settled on a middle name.

Brenna as a girl's name is pronounced BREN-ah. It is of Gaelic origin, and the meaning of Brenna is "little drop of water; raven or black-haired".