• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How Did You Choose Your Female Name?

Guest Dr.Metropolis

Guest cjnoble71

When I was sixteen (a long time ago in a suburb right down the I-90) my mother and I had a conversation about what she would name another daughter. She brought it up not me, and I was deeply in the closet even with myself ("I'm just curious about wearing women's clothes"). She wasn't around to ask anymore (stupid cancer) when I finally did come out, so I went with the last thing I knew she planned on naming a second daughter: Christine. Funny thing is, I only just realized that there was little chance she could have thought she might be pregnant, but it was about the time many of her heels would have started mysteriously breaking... hmmmmmm.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sally

• Carolyn Marie

• Cyndee

• KathrynJulia

Guest Vixen Amber

At first I wanted to be called Ashley, then autumn which was what my mom had intended for me if I was born the way I should have been born. Went from that to Milly which was short for Emily/Amelia I could never decide. I then sat down and thought to myself, I am sick of all this name change crap who am I? After a while I said Amber. It felt right. I remember growing up with a girl named that, she was really sweet and kind to me. I decided it was right.. So here I am, Amber Autumn (not puttin my last name up :P)

Guest Katie Anne

Katherine-Anne, one name, is what my mother named me. No joking! She was told that I would definitely be a girl. Well, I guess the doctor was partially right. She was heavily drugged and my father wanted to talk with her before choosing a name. Four days later they named me after the priest who baptized me. As I was named after my grandmother, whom I adored, and had a birth certificate that had the name I really liked it seemed right. As I look very Irish, it seemed doubly right. Finally, as an only child, "my brother" Kevin got a twin sister that he has cherished.

Cheers,

Katie-Anne :thumbsup:

My name comes from Showtime's "The L Word" (the original one, not the one on now called "The Real L Word") and from my favorite couple, Bette (Porter - played by Jennifer Beals) & Tina (Kennard - played by Laurel Hollowman). I first saw a video clip of one of the scenes from Season 5 on YouTube from a completely unrelated YouTube "recommendation" that just caught my attention. I had no idea why I related to the whole lesbian scene at the time, but ended up becoming a huge loyal fan of the show. Now I legally share that first name, Bette. My middle name I offered my father to choose and so he did. :)

Guest Nova Maria

My name was "Noah Elliot," and I liked the flow of it, so I didn't want to pick something totally different. I came up with Nova. I think it's a great name; it's also an exploding star, which I like to think of myself as. Parker was my mother's maiden name. This way, the E from Elliot rhymes with the P from Parker, so I went from Noah E to Nova P. :)

Talked with my mom about what she might have named me if I'd been born a girl. Of the 6 possibilities 3 I used naming my own daughters. Of the last 3 Elena won hands down for numerous reasons. First, my grandfather suggested it and he was the only good male role model I had growing up, and he passed away about a year before that conversation, so it comforts me to have my name come from him. It isn't very common, but also not off the wall. I love the meaning.

For my middle name, it was suggested by my great aunt who lives in Scotland. I wanted something Gaelic and as soon as I heard it I knew it was instantly perfect.

When it is all said and done I have the added bonus of keeping my initials, handy with the credit cards.

<3

Elena

When my mom was pregnant the doctors insisted over and over i was a girl , so she came up with Christina Bridgett. well 9 moths later I was born defected and something was attached (way to go military docs for messing that up.) Well instead Removing the deformity right away and preventing the pain and suffering later on. they took the easy way and renamed me. We the ironic part is doctors were right. Well my sister took the Bridgett as her first name and when I came out to my birth mom she told me the story and ask if I would take christina. Well me being different I ask how about krysti instead, plus it just feels right. My middle name Mona Lisa came from a close friend of mine who helped me through several suicide attempts after she told me. your like a painting , just need a little fixing up and you'll be the most sought out beautiful thing out there....

I already replied to this thread once but wanted to change a couple of things. It took me more than 10 years to settle on a name. Now I've found a name which I truly love and have no inclination to change it from that chosen name. Alexis is cute frilly and girly. N2m the fact that a nickname is Lexi which is uber cute.

Guest LottieZero

I can't believe I haven't replied to this topic yet! I must have kept forgetting... Anyway, as silly an answer as it sounds, I really have no idea where the name Charlotte came from, but I do know it really feels like my name :) (Just as well, considering it's been my legal name for the last year and a half...) It just seemed to come out of nowhere when I was 15, and I decided it suited me better than Chloë, which I'd called myself when I was about 14-15, and the numerous female names I'd given myself before (Nicole, Heather, Alice, etc...)

There are a few strange things that might have led me to choosing it, though... like passing by Charlotte House in Edinburgh when I was 12 or 13, and feeling like it was "mine", in a way; and me getting embarrassed over that McDonald's Salads Plus advert with a Charlotte in it, because I felt like they were on about me; and that mock TV panel show / comedy thing that my parents and I were watching when I was 14 where one of the questions was "name a first name beginning with C", and my Mum said Charlotte, even though I was sitting right next to her (bearing in mind my male name began with C as well). Of course, it's probably all just coincidental, but sometimes I do wonder :blink:

Guest juliaLocke

I picked my female based on my cousin who really seemed to understand me. She and I would take long walks together when I was little. We would pick flowers and make necklaces out of them and put them on each other. She accecpted me for who I am and still does to this day.

She and I had the same first letter, J, in our name. Her name is Julie, so I picked Julia. I don't want to reveal what former my male name is, since I would like to believe that my male self was a mistake of nature and is in the past! J

When I was 17 and living in Manhattan, I used to hang out at a friends locksmith shop. It was the kind of place that had pipes and bongs and was a regular hang out spot for the local teens after school. One day a girl came that my friend apparently knew and my jaw absolutely dropped to the floor. She was angelicly (not a word, I know!) gorgeous!! She was short, but had the most beautiful face i'd ever seen on a person with an innocent look that would make you weep, and yet she was also amazingly endowed to perfection in every possible manner. I nearly cried on seeing her. After I introduced myself, she gave her name Hayley. I'd never heard the name before, but in my head I was in love with it and said to myself, if I were a girl that would be the name I want! It stayed with me until I started transition 13 years later. My middle name Rivka is the Hebrew version of Rebekah and I added that so I don't have double H's for my initials. Rebekah was the wife of Isaac and her name means to tie or to bind. It sort of adds dimension to my name and binds Hayley to my last name which also begins with H.

I also have a Hebrew first name in place of Hayley, which is Hilah and I stole that one from my most gorgeous cousin by the same name, who lives in Israel and is half-yemenite (incredible skin tone and quality). Hilah means Halo or Rose in Hebrew.

So my name normally is Hayley Rivka and in full Hebrew Hilah Rivka. :)

Guest Donna_Marie

well my mom was so emotional when I told her about me she was like please let me rename you she told me she had a name for me before i was even born and it's the name I carry today Donna Marie much love to my mom

• Forum Moderator

I knew this girl Cynthia when I was in my 20's, her name just flowed off my tongue, I loved saying it. So I choose it for myself, it's one of those names that is not bi-gendered, it's a decidedly female name, it is also age appropriate for me. Middle name of Rae was chosen to honor my little sister who passed away.

C Rae

A few years ago I had gotten a dog and named her what i wished my name would have been is i was female. So now i've stolen it back. A bit different but i love the name to death. My friends that know what is going with me keep telling me i've stolen my dogs name, my response to that is "no, she just borrowed it for a bit". And the dog is no longer with me, so I think it's ok to have stolen it back.

Guest Lauren~

I always liked the name Marisa, however that sounded to made up to me. I wanted something just as nice but something that was also very reguliar and plain. So I chose Melissa.

Guest FemtoKitten

My father once said what my legal name would have been if I came into the world correctly. I liked it so I picked it up and ran with it.

Brittany Lynn* <last name here>

*My father is very upset about the two n's, thinking I chose it after my mother. He wants a single n after his current fiance.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cynthash

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... I thought a nice name for a daughter would be Cynthia. When I realized my true nature, my plans for that name changed to become my next first name. For a middle name, though, I still don't know... my mom says she would have named me Carissa if I had been born a girl, but she's not too supportive of me... I'm not sure what to do about that... A great name that I hadn't thought of before is Valerie. Hmmm, Cynthia Carissa... Cynthia Valerie... I've also thought of Ashley for a middle name(or even Ashleigh). Thoughts, anyone?

• Forum Moderator

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... I thought a nice name for a daughter would be Cynthia. When I realized my true nature, my plans for that name changed to become my next first name. For a middle name, though, I still don't know... my mom says she would have named me Carissa if I had been born a girl, but she's not too supportive of me... I'm not sure what to do about that... A great name that I hadn't thought of before is Valerie. Hmmm, Cynthia Carissa... Cynthia Valerie... I've also thought of Ashley for a middle name(or even Ashleigh). Thoughts, anyone?

I think Cynthia is an awesome first name :thumbsup: you have good taste !

"Cynthia Marie" "Cynthia Anne" "Cynthia Joy" "Cynthia Renee" are just a few that also come to mind.

Hugs -

Cindy Rae

Guest MeredithL

Well a friend of mine dated a girl named Meredith a couple of times. I had never heard the name before and instantly thought it was pretty. I had decided that if I was to have a daughter I would like to name her that. Well I decided since it doesn't seem as if I'll ever have children that it should be mine. I like it. I get a lot of complements on it. Haven't decided on a middle name yet but I'm probably going to change my last name to my Grandmother's maiden name. My surname is as far as I know unique to my family and I think it better if I change it when I transition.

Love and Hugs

Meredith