• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How Did You Choose Your Female Name?

Guest Dr.Metropolis

Guest AniStacy

I just found mine on the internet. :P

I chose the ones I thought were pretty :)

Next day I had my full name

Good luck hey! its not an easy thing to dub a new name!

<3 Stacey

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sally

• Carolyn Marie

• Cyndee

• KathrynJulia

Guest michelle.butterfly

Hi everyone! <waves>

Well, I knew my name was right when I found it but here's a little history on my name(s) and also how I stumbled upon Michelle... [with some tangents in the middle] [yes, yes, I know I'm wayyy too wordy]

Michelle is my second girl name. My original (now middle) name is Davie which is (*gasp*) an alteration of my birth name. :P Originally I was intending to go by Davie day-to-day, but as I progressed through my transition I came to realize that I was not satisfied with it, and that I was yearning to find my "girl name"--despite my initial resistance to doing so. I wanted a brand new name, one that would be a symbol of the brand new life I am undertaking.

(Okay, I also go by Butterfly but it's just a nickname, it's not going to be part of my legal name. At least I don't think so. Although I reserve my right to change my mind at any time. Well, Butterfly *would* be a very nice name. I would *like* to have it as part of my legal name. I could always just have four names maybe? Hmm, okay, maybe it could be my last name? :D)

[-> FWIW: I still think Davie is very cute, and a perfectly acceptable girl name regardless of you naysayers. (You know who you are! :P) I didn't choose a new name due to the pressure from those who thought it was too guy-ish, or those who thought that I should choose something that wasn't a modification of my "guy" name. (Well, more accurately, it was *despite* those influences, since I respond to pressure by resisting it!) It's still okay by me if (most) people that knew me before transition are more comfortable with calling me Davie, but I definitely prefer Michelle. Anyway, I know a lot of people that have a name that, say, their family calls them, but then that go by something completely different in their day-to-day lives. The fact that Davie was frequently misunderstood to be a guy name online was an annoyance, but in face-to-face encounters it had little importance, and was not really a factor in my choosing a new name. Okay, I suppose anyone that was here for the couple of weeks when I first found the playground will remember it being spelled Davey and I *did* change the spelling to Davie in an attempt to circumvent some of that confusion. Hmm, looks like I change my name like a girl changes clothes. ;)]

[--> On another note: Does anyone else find themselves using a lot of things as symbols as reminders of the new life they are undertaking? For instance, even though my favorite color has always been rainbow, I find "pink rainbow" (e.g. pink, magenta, burgundy, purple, etc.) a symbol that I use a lot in my clothes and nail polish and makeup and in decorating my room and so on--so when I wake up, or look down, or see myself in a mirror, or as I go to sleep at night, I see something completely distinct from what I would have seen before. And I had a big rainbow/pink rainbow butterfly tattooed on my back. (http://photobucket.com/albums/qq285/davie_butterfly/100_0092.jpg) And I took all the guy clothes I'm never going to wear and put them in garbage bags. And I have put my wedding ring on a chain that I wear as a necklace. And not everything is necessarily a pleasant symbol--every time I see black birds it reminds me of the horribleness associated with the breakup with my wife. And I sometimes wear all black (which is weird for me!) when I'm feeling down about things for one reason or another. I'm sure there are more but... hmm, maybe this would make a good thread if it doesn't exist already?]

[ ---> On one more note: I mentioned my initial reservations about finding a "girl name" and actually there were a number of things that I had different expectations of before I started, or early on in, my transition than I do now. For example, I had no idea I was going to end up loving pink rainbow. Or that I would want a "girl name". Or that I would be so into makeup and clothes. Or that I would be at all concerned about whether or not I "pass" when I'm out. Anyone else out there find that their early expectations of how they would feel/think/act are changing as they progress through their transition?]

Aaaaanyway, when I decided I wanted a different name, I searched for baby girl name websites, and I found this page: http://www.momswhothink.com/baby-names/top...-the-1970s.html (This site has top baby names for each decade from 1880's to present; it's a very cool site even if you already picked your name. :)) I chose the 70's first, since I was born in 1973, and the name that was ranked the same (4th) in the 70's as my birth name (David) was Michelle.

I loved it immediately, and, as a happy coincidence, I don't know anyone and couldn't think of anyone else named Michelle at the time. (Of course, it's been pointed out to me since then that it looks like I might have chosen it in reference to Michelle Obama, but I didn't even think of that and due to reasons explained below it wouldn't have mattered.) I then searched all the top names from all the decades for anything else I liked and I didn't find one, other than a few names (Mary, Heather, Ashley, Amanda, and a few others) each of which belongs to someone I know well or which was unacceptable to me for some other reason.

But I knew Michelle was right before I looked any further anyway. I smiled within when I tried it on. The girl that I am (who was hidden from the world, and even herself, for so so very long) was bursting with joy at saying her own name for the first time.

Despite the later objections of my best friend (my wife), who has some unpleasant associations with the name (and whose opinion I take very seriously) I didn't for a second consider trying to find a different name. How could I? It is my name, and when I finally searched for it I found it. I still get butterflies every time I hear it.

I just *know* it is my name.

Michelle (Davie) Butterfly

---

I love you all, and I want to say, as usual, that Laura's Playground pulled me out of the pit of despair I was in, and has helped me to continue to find my way along the path. Much love and gratitude to Laura and everyone else who participates in making this a safe haven by giving of their time and love and support and understanding! --Michelle

Hi Michelle,

I think that you might want t o post something a little shorter in the Introductions forum so more people will see it and greet you, it's waaayyyy down here at the bottom of page fore - you deserve a spot on the first page!

Welcome and seriously do post an intro.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest michelle.butterfly
I think that you might want t o post something a little shorter in the Introductions forum so more people will see it and greet you, it's waaayyyy down here at the bottom of page fore - you deserve a spot on the first page!

Hi Sally,

Thanks for the welcome... Will post an intro as you suggest, although I am notorious for long posts/e-mails/whatever so I'll try to keep it short. :)

Michelle

Guest nickiee

my nick name as a child was nick,if any one wanted to call me, they would call out nickie come here the first site i went to,to register,nickie was taken but nickiee was'nt,i like the name,but i like all your names

Mine came to me while doing the practice of naming children I might have in the future

I always had a pet peeve about bad names

being part Irish, i like all kinds of Irish/Gaelic names.

Cait actually comes from the former wife of Musician Elvis Costello

i liked the spelling

instead of Kate

also, as it seems very easy to use for me...

---------I will extend it to Caitlin.

I also add up the numeric value of my name to a number i feel happy with

this really isn't for any other purpose than to feel the name i have is numerically special.

i already feel that way about my own name and play word and number games with it.

i think www.anagrams.com or www.anagramfinder.com will rework words for you in a search engine.

I think of myself as my own child like creation

so, I have fun with it.

and try to make it more like a project than

the self-torture I used to go through.

I think I might have a keeper with the name Cait.

Gabrielle,

my previous name just didn't last as it was more what I used to refer to the part of my brain that was female...

sometimes it was completely hidden,

other days, I would wake up and shave my legs.

I'm glad that i have acheived a better balance these days.

of course,

ClN

Guest krisspykriss

I like to keep it simple. Everyone knows me as Chris and Chris is gender neutral So Chris is shall be. I am debating on Christine, Christy, Chrissy, Or Krystyne. Dont know yet. But everyone will just keep calling me Chris, or Kirsch (geman for cherri and a play on my last name that is now a nickname)

Even when I done a few drag shows long ago, my drag name was still just plain old Krystyne. If I go with Chris, I wont need to explain the name change to much when documenting educational and sharing transcripts with an employer, so that is kinda of bonus.

Chris

Guest jenny12lc

I had a few names I was playing around with but my name that I actually legally had changed too sort of just fell in my lap. Everyone that knows me says The name fits me to a tee. Jennifer :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity,

How did everyone find their feminine name?

I haven't solidified anything yet, but I'm thinking of Maude. I think it's a cute name (as I think with most old ladies names) and the only Maude I ever "knew" is from Harold and Maude (movie) - and I love her character!

Dr M

Guest Emily.SoCal

I was actually going through names that weren't already attached to people I knew, but I kept coming back to Emily for some reason. I do know a few Emilys, but none that I've seen for years. One day I was questioning whether the name fit me when suddenly I remembered an Emily from my youth. We were the same age and were friends as kids because our father's had gone to school together. She moved away while we were still kids but our families kept in touch. Later I found out from my dad that Emily had been born a hermaphrodite and was assigned female sex. Even later I found out that she he discovered she was a FTM transsexual. I'm not sure what male name she chose, but in a strange way I feel like we kind of swapped names. Like I was really Emily all along and destined to inherit her name. Maybe this is all a bit silly, but my name has felt right ever since then! :)

Guest Felicia Anne

good question! i toyed with a lot of different ideas for names, but they were all so wonderful. the problem was not only that they were wonderful, but that none of them really captured the essence of the woman i was. on the advice of a spiritualist friend of mine, i wrote down the names i longed for the most, and gave it to her for a reading. the moment she called me felicia, i knew that it was my name. it's as if it was the name i had all my life, yet i was just hearing it that first time.

i added the anne because i thought it would make me sound pretty...

:blush:

• 2 weeks later...

OK, we've know each other long enough now for the real truth, the name did just come to me when I was signing up for an E-mail account in a feminine name to do my research into Transsexuality.

It wasn't the first name that came to me, it was the first one that I could spell correctly everytime!

Personally I liked Esmeralda Lucinda Derryberry, but I'm a bad typist and an even worse speller.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Little Sara

My name comes mainly from it's meaning "Princess". I really like the name somehow. There was never a question about picking this name or another, it came naturally to me.

Guest Guardian

I haven't chosen a female name. I actually feel attatched to my name... because my name really captures who I am! Since before I hit puberty(something that I remember like it was ages ago), I was always myself, and I remember so vividly the amount of love and happiness I had then. I was out of school, for the most part(home-schooling), and could bind myself to the most loved ones in my life - my mom, and my sister.

Since I entered puberty, and reentered school, I sort of lost myself... I feel like I've been living in a dream, or illusion since that time. I told my mom as it started happening, I felt like I was changing into some sort of monster, as I'd put it... and so I defeated the monster, but lost my soul in the process. For the longest time, I've been nobody at all: Just another person.

During the time I was lost("sleeping"), I frantically searched for a way to be myself once more. I was really tired of living as a shadow. And so I found tsroadmap, and this site... I was 12 when that happened, I think. During these times, I felt like I was really alive. When I wandered from the computer, back into the "real" world... I would feel sad, and longing to change my lifestyle. I wanted to replace the dreams of my sleep with reality.

And so I have. 3 years since I found out about transsexualism, and 8 years since I last lived as my blissful self, I'm finally making my first steps to live again. I feel like I'm waking up, at long last. I'm nearly 16 now.

Ah... how I get carried away. Boring life story can be told some other time <_< Anyhow, I really like Jordan(though everyone will call me "Jordi"). I think I'll be keeping it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Alyssa Leigh

I also like many of you did, I wrote down on a piece of paper all the female names that i knew of and also liked playing games where i could be the female player and would save my status as alyssa. When the list was complete i took a few days to look it over and over again until this one kept popping out at me because it's not one i hear to often and is feminine. My parents would have called me christine if i were born a female but i don't think it really fits me, but maybe i will find some variation of it for my middle name.

Alyssa

Guest SuperFlyGal

Personally I'm a bit undecided on it.

Jasmine is a name from where my people originate and I've always loved it since seeing Princess Jasmine in Aladdin.

Lily is a name I've always loved and it's my half-sisters name to. I want to be called Lily, but be officially named Lillian. Sister is Lilly, two Ls.

Aya was a reminder, and one I might choose. A(First Name), Y(Middle Name), A(Last Name). Since my parents will no longer want me around after this I'm wondering if I can completely change my name. I'm not sure if it's possible, but if it is Aya will be a name I'd love to have and get my middle and last name changed.

I've used all of these as Alias's in video games and I've recently started to like the name Fiona after watching Burn Notice. I instantly fell in love with Fiona because she just seems so strong and independent! Besides, then people could call me "Fi"!

Oh it's too hard to choose.

My MOM had names picked out when I was born "Brenda" for a girl or "Gregory" for a boy. Therefore BRENDA it is. A second given name would be much harder to come up with although in Scots tradition it would probably be my Mom"s maiden surname.

Cheers Geej

Guest ~Brenda~

Hi Dr. M,

My situation is a little different. My name is bernie which applies to both male and female nicknames. I simply stick with my name.

bernie

Guest Madison_Always

Hey i was just wondering what everyone thought about the name Amber i thinks about it idk i think its pretty let me know thanks :)

Guest DeniseNM
Hey i was just wondering what everyone thought about the name Amber i thinks about it idk i think its pretty let me know thanks :)

Well I think Amber is a cute name but I also think Chelsea is a pretty name too

Denise

Guest Midoe

I originally was deciding between three names. One was Sora, but I though that was a little too gender neutral for my taste. The other was Leia, yes Leia from Star Wars. I always liked that name, it was special and always brought up the connotations of a strong independent women, who is very smart, and very beautiful. It was a strong name. Sadly everyone in my family knows my heavy connection to Star Wars, and would give me crap about picking that name. I Guess not that what they say should matter, but ultimately I decided on a name that I really feel fits me. I think its very beautiful and nice.

My name is Kari. It's derived from the Japanese name HiKari, which usually loses the “Hi” prefix when coming stateside, and it's different enough from the more common names like Hikaru, or Hikairi. (more common in Japan any ways)

Guest Zabrak
I originally was deciding between three names. One was Sora, but I though that was a little too gender neutral for my taste. The other was Leia, yes Leia from Star Wars. I always liked that name, it was special and always brought up the connotations of a strong independent women, who is very smart, and very beautiful. It was a strong name. Sadly everyone in my family knows my heavy connection to Star Wars, and would give me crap about picking that name. I Guess not that what they say should matter, but ultimately I decided on a name that I really feel fits me. I think its very beautiful and nice.

My name is Kari. It's derived from the Japanese name HiKari, which usually loses the “Hi” prefix when coming stateside, and it's different enough from the more common names like Hikaru, or Hikairi. (more common in Japan any ways)

You are the coolest chick. B)

Guest Little Sara

I met someone this weekend named Leah, and never made a Star Wars connection, it sounded pretty normal to me. It reminded me of 1st grade learning-to-read book: "Leo and Lea go to..."

Guest van-na

Hi

As a man i have always been happy with my name, I got both of my Grandfathers names as my first and middle name. Van Joseph, but van is na ( not applicable ) for me now, so I chose vanna josefina.

I love the name, vanna