Jump to content
  • Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

    We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Transphobia is making me question everything


Mason26

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Avra said:

Dress codes, when required, should be unisex

Dress codes should say "modestly dressed" and end with that. They shouldn't have a gender assignment. 

 

I walk (roll in my wheelchair) and men will hold the door open for me and say, "there you go ma'am."

 

I am the person perceived, it doesn't matter what I wear. People perceive me as female. It took lots of work to go in "boy-mode" all those years because I just don't look or act the part. Baggy shirts, bib overalls, and a short mullet haircut wasn't really hiding things. 

 

When I told everyone I was going "girl-mode", they were like, "what took you so long?"

 

As long as all my "equipment" is covered, I think I should be within the boundaries of any dress code out there. 

Link to comment
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Mason26

    100

  • Avra

    51

  • RaineOnYourParade

    21

  • Birdie

    19

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Avra said:

 

Here's one science video that I found particularly interesting on the topic if you're interested:

https://youtu.be/kT0HJkr1jj4?si=6GD9vMFdb2S3pIDx

 

 

 

I found this very useful. 

 

There's a LOT of aspects touched on here in a short space of time.

 

Just one thing to pick out. We don't routinely test chromosomes or hormone levels at birth, nor thereafter. Estrogen and testosterone receptors are an interesting aspect to this and hormones as part of sex (not just gender) are important but rarely raised by the 'anti-woke' brigade. And you almost never hear about genes including swapping out across chromosomes and recessive traits.

 

Anecdotal remark. Even when I was stick-thin as a moderately successful runner, my breasts and nipples were enlarged. Fast forward to when I finally started taking estrogen ... boom. My breasts ballooned in a few weeks. They're now DD cup and still growing. So much so that a research consultant at my hospital asked to take photos because they considered my breast growth to be highly unusual and they wanted to use this in teaching (I consented in fact as I'm quite proud of my breasts :D ). When, for a brief time, I took testosterone post-orchidectomy, my body decided to convert it to estrogen into female range. Doctors were baffled, although there's a coherent path for T to E conversion through the aromatase. Right now I'm on a very low dose of estrogen and yet my estradiol level is equivalent to a pregnant female's. I have even been getting morning sickness. My medics are once again scratching their heads. But the point here is surely that this is just one of many examples of the complexity of sex, not just gender? If you feel an incongruity between your gender assignment at birth and the person you feel you are, it's probably because somewhere deep inside you that's exactly what your body is telling you for a reason. Whether that's in your chromosomes, hormones, alleles, receptors, recessives, etc. etc.: somewhere in there are one or more genetic bodily imprints that are trying to express themselves. Dysphoria is not just a state of mind. It's a condition of body.

 

 

 

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Tilly said:

somewhere in there are one or more genetic bodily imprints that are trying to express themselves. Dysphoria is not just a state of mind. It's a condition of body.

Yes, I have always been intersex AMAB based off of the "external organs" only. 

It wasn't until puberty that my body decided it wanted to go "female", and I was given a couple years of testosterone to "correct the problem". 

 

45 years of "boy-mode" meant hiding rather large curves and such. 

 

Fast forward to a couple years ago and my curves "really blossomed."

 

Pressuring my doctor enough and I finally got the tests that answer the questions. 

 

I have PMDS, I was born with a uterus and fallopian tubes. The extent of my intersex has always been much more than external. Physically I am more woman than I am a man!

 

The 45 years of boy-mode and testosterone treatments should have never happened!

 

Of course my doctor won't admit it, and refuses to give me the letter needed for the courts to change my gender. 🙄

 

So here I sit with my DD's, and very curvy body. Getting addressed as ma'am even dressed androgynous....

With my ID saying: male 😐

Link to comment

I'd love to dress in skirts all year round but its just too cold. I spend most of the time in jeans and heavy winter jerseys as I am permanently cold, I am paranoid about what folk are thinking as they walk past in their shorts and tee-shirts and summer dresses.  I don't think it's paranoia of transphobia, but more a strong feeling that they will think I'm weird, for dressing like its winter in the middle of summer.  When its over 25c I can start to dress more fem, more comfortably, but that's quite rare especially this summer.  My question is why do I care.  Why am I paranoid.  Is it actually latent fear from when I transitioned and when I had a very real fear of transphobia?

 

In actual winter I'll have on three pairs of socks, thermal leggings, Jeans and three jerseys and a coat if outside.  By this time I look ridiculous I am sure.  Hard to feel fem with that lot on.

 

 

Link to comment
11 hours ago, Birdie said:

Dress codes should say "modestly dressed" and end with that. They shouldn't have a gender assignment.

That's what I meant by unisex. I absolutely agree! Dress codes as they are tend to go way beyond that though and I personally think it's so dumb. Not a popular opinion in society though.

Link to comment
11 hours ago, Tilly said:

 

I found this very useful. 

 

There's a LOT of aspects touched on here in a short space of time.

 

Just one thing to pick out. We don't routinely test chromosomes or hormone levels at birth, nor thereafter. Estrogen and testosterone receptors are an interesting aspect to this and hormones as part of sex (not just gender) are important but rarely raised by the 'anti-woke' brigade. And you almost never hear about genes including swapping out across chromosomes and recessive traits.

 

Anecdotal remark. Even when I was stick-thin as a moderately successful runner, my breasts and nipples were enlarged. Fast forward to when I finally started taking estrogen ... boom. My breasts ballooned in a few weeks. They're now DD cup and still growing. So much so that a research consultant at my hospital asked to take photos because they considered my breast growth to be highly unusual and they wanted to use this in teaching (I consented in fact as I'm quite proud of my breasts :D ). When, for a brief time, I took testosterone post-orchidectomy, my body decided to convert it to estrogen into female range. Doctors were baffled, although there's a coherent path for T to E conversion through the aromatase. Right now I'm on a very low dose of estrogen and yet my estradiol level is equivalent to a pregnant female's. I have even been getting morning sickness. My medics are once again scratching their heads. But the point here is surely that this is just one of many examples of the complexity of sex, not just gender? If you feel an incongruity between your gender assignment at birth and the person you feel you are, it's probably because somewhere deep inside you that's exactly what your body is telling you for a reason. Whether that's in your chromosomes, hormones, alleles, receptors, recessives, etc. etc.: somewhere in there are one or more genetic bodily imprints that are trying to express themselves. Dysphoria is not just a state of mind. It's a condition of body.

 

 

 

That's very interesting. Sounds like a wild ride! I didn't know that T can convert to E, I kinda always thought they were in direct opposition to each other. Learn something new every day! Thanks for sharing your story. 😊

 

And yeah it's true that a lot of the people getting out proverbial pitchforks don't actually know much at all about science. In fact I'd wager the less educated people are, the more likely they'll want to take up pitchforks against anything that challenges their beliefs, instead of approach it rationally. I've shared that exact video with some people who dismissed it as some elaborate conspiracy or scheme.

Link to comment
21 hours ago, Davie said:

Yesterday I went to a picnic with 12 other trans and non-binary folks—everyone free to be. It was euphoric. I felt totally myself, They did, too. I felt so happy I cried with joy to remember it when I got home. I treasure the best things in life. Great friends and family most of all. There is always hope. —Davie

That sounds like a dream! Like I've had actual dreams similar to this.

Link to comment
22 hours ago, Mason26 said:

But looking back, I wonder how much of it was just what I was supposed to like.

I'm sure it's entirely possible that you genuinely like some of those things. Likes and interests can evolve over time and what you like to do doesn't define your gender any more than what you like to wear does. It's about what you feel and who you are at the core of your being. Everything else is just an outward expression of what you're into and what makes you happy. You don't have to fit into society's boxes.

Link to comment
10 hours ago, gemmalouise said:

I'd love to dress in skirts all year round but its just too cold. I spend most of the time in jeans and heavy winter jerseys as I am permanently cold, I am paranoid about what folk are thinking as they walk past in their shorts and tee-shirts and summer dresses.  I don't think it's paranoia of transphobia, but more a strong feeling that they will think I'm weird, for dressing like its winter in the middle of summer.  When its over 25c I can start to dress more fem, more comfortably, but that's quite rare especially this summer.  My question is why do I care.  Why am I paranoid.  Is it actually latent fear from when I transitioned and when I had a very real fear of transphobia?

 

In actual winter I'll have on three pairs of socks, thermal leggings, Jeans and three jerseys and a coat if outside.  By this time I look ridiculous I am sure.  Hard to feel fem with that lot on.

 

 

I think it's more conscious because lets face it there a lot of hate on transgender but I would just stay in public eye since crime is less likely to happen or if it's paranoia because of just how you dress than it's just you. 

Link to comment
21 hours ago, RaineOnYourParade said:

I think the best thing sometimes is to look at yourself in the third person before going and judging yourself. Go, "If I had a friend come to me with this exact issue, how would I react to them?" That's what helps me, at least. 

Wow. That's a powerful perspective. 🥺 🤯

Link to comment
Just now, Avra said:

Wow. That's a powerful perspective. 🥺 🤯

I've found I hold myself to a lot harsher standards than I do literally anyone else so it's a big change in thinking

Link to comment
1 minute ago, RaineOnYourParade said:

I've found I hold myself to a lot harsher standards than I do literally anyone else so it's a big change in thinking

Yeah same. It takes a lot of mental fortitude to look at yourself from that perspective though. I once told myself in the mirror that I looked pretty and then burst into tears because I had never heard that from myself before. Self-deprecation and judgement is so easy but I'm working on it.

Link to comment
Just now, Avra said:

Yeah same. It takes a lot of mental fortitude to look at yourself from that perspective though. I once told myself in the mirror that I looked pretty and then burst into tears because I had never heard that from myself before. Self-deprecation and judgement is so easy but I'm working on it.

It's difficult for sure. I honestly can't look in the mirror and tell myself I look even decent, even though there are people that tell me otherwise. Brain be like: Yes but they are liars! Sneaky little Hobbitses! (Exposed my inner nerd there hehehe) 

 

I'd like to think I've gotten a bit better at it, at least while looking inward, but it's a process.

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Avra said:

I'm sure it's entirely possible that you genuinely like some of those things.

@Mason26 Meant to say "liked" - past tense, just to clarify. The following sentence should clarify that further.

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, RaineOnYourParade said:

It's difficult for sure. I honestly can't look in the mirror and tell myself I look even decent, even though there are people that tell me otherwise. Brain be like: Yes but they are liars! Sneaky little Hobbitses! (Exposed my inner nerd there hehehe) 

 

I'd like to think I've gotten a bit better at it, at least while looking inward, but it's a process.

Haha, love it. But yeah, it's very hard to believe anyone likes you when you don't even like yourself is what I've found. Moving more towards who I want to be has helped but it's a difficult journey.

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Avra said:

Yeah same. It takes a lot of mental fortitude to look at yourself from that perspective though. I once told myself in the mirror that I looked pretty and then burst into tears because I had never heard that from myself before. Self-deprecation and judgement is so easy but I'm working on it.

Unfortunately we are typically our worse critics except for a few times. Once I thought I looked good and at church someone said I think I can get your advice have you been to a drag show? I never felt so crappy and wanted to cry so hard but I just couldn't. I guess internally I have dealt with so much death that sometimes that doesn't even make me cry. 

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Avra said:

Haha, love it. But yeah, it's very hard to believe anyone likes you when you don't even like yourself is what I've found. Moving more towards who I want to be has helped but it's a difficult journey.

[you need] Indeed.

 

(I'm sorry I've watched too many ads lol)

 

I can't really remember a time with good self-esteem so it's really a life-long journey for me personally and some others who have had esteem struggles for a long time. It's like Harry Potter being a destined wizard his entire life except a lot less exciting.

 

One step at a time

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Ashley0616 said:

Unfortunately we are typically our worse critics except for a few times. Once I thought I looked good and at church someone said I think I can get your advice have you been to a drag show? I never felt so crappy and wanted to cry so hard but I just couldn't. I guess internally I have dealt with so much death that sometimes that doesn't even make me cry. 

I can relate. A while back I messed around with painting my nails and a coworker asked if I do drag at night. I laughed it off because what else can you do but inside it didn't feel nice. Not that I have anything against drag queens -you do you, but it was clear he was trying to make a jab at my style choices by what he said.

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Ashley0616 said:

Unfortunately we are typically our worse critics except for a few times. Once I thought I looked good and at church someone said I think I can get your advice have you been to a drag show? I never felt so crappy and wanted to cry so hard but I just couldn't. I guess internally I have dealt with so much death that sometimes that doesn't even make me cry. 

Man, that sucks. Can't count the amount of times I've been told I look like a basic lesbian -- which I mean, they aren't exactly wrong, but still stings. Am man. Wrong gender, ma'am/sir. (Wrong sexuality too, but hey, whatever)

 

People really just have no filter sometimes. Can relate to the things not making me cry too, although for different reasons.

Link to comment
34 minutes ago, RaineOnYourParade said:

It's difficult for sure. I honestly can't look in the mirror and tell myself I look even decent, even though there are people that tell me otherwise. Brain be like: Yes but they are liars

OMG, this is me!

I'm like.... Are they looking at what I see?

Link to comment
Just now, Birdie said:

OMG, this is me!

I'm like.... Are they looking at what I see?

Pretty sure when I look at myself I'm just looking into an alternate reality at this point.

Link to comment
48 minutes ago, RaineOnYourParade said:

Can't count the amount of times I've been told I look like a basic lesbian

Depends on how I dress, but with my hair growing out again it's much less. 

It happened all the time when I was wearing a mullet. 

Link to comment
Just now, Birdie said:

Depends on how I dress, but with my hair growing out again it's much less. 

It happened all the time when I was wearing a mullet. 

Whenever people say it, I just think of an action figure or doll where it doesn't come with anything and of course, being a kid, you need the six hundred not included accessories lol

Link to comment
On 8/28/2023 at 9:30 PM, RaineOnYourParade said:

Bill Cipher was my role model- I'm a messed up human now for a reason lol

Well what trans person wouldn't rather be a genderless triangle instead of their AGAB?

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Mason26 said:

Well what trans person wouldn't rather be a genderless triangle instead of their AGAB?

"All right, listen up, you one-lifespan, three-dimensional, five-sense skin puppets!"

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 67 Guests (See full list)

    • Petra Jane
    • Karen Carey
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      80.4k
    • Total Posts
      765k
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      11,836
    • Most Online
      8,356

    sarahthehuman
    Newest Member
    sarahthehuman
    Joined
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Amelia4
      Amelia4
      (50 years old)
    2. Andrea73
      Andrea73
      (51 years old)
    3. Antonia
      Antonia
    4. Cato
      Cato
    5. EasyE
      EasyE
      (53 years old)
  • Posts

    • Willow
      Good morning   so much happened since my last visit and that was just yesterday.  Back to 4am today, off tomorrow my schedule bounces around all week but Friday morning I leave for my weekend of Lay ministry school.    let’s see, guy who wanted to see your DL, run away and block that one.  Doesn’t sound right to me. Sorry for your losses this week.  Always sad to loos a good friend they are so hard to come by, and same is true with cousins, although I never knew any of mine.     One thing I don’t have and never will is a LBD. Too old to do one any justice.  Besides where does one hide the 45?     Don’t meet a stranger without one!   well gotta try to walk the dog.  It’s raining but not cold.     and don’t take everything I say to heart.  Sometimes my sense of humor is a lot worse than I realize.  LOL   Willow    
    • Carolyn Marie
      Welcome to Trans Pulse, Sarah.  I think this site will live up to your expectations as a friendly, supportive and knowledgeable place.  I know that transition can be stressful and daunting and we've all been where you are now at some point.  I do hope that you are seeing, or have seen, a gender therapist or at least and M.D. to ensure that your hormone use is safe and appropriate.  We want everyone to be safe, because hormones can be dangerous if not done correctly with good supervision.  If you don;t have a gender therapist, that would be help to add to your tool kit, too.   Please ask any questions that come to mind.  The only thing we can't answer is about hormone dosages.  Please have a look around and enjoy your time here.   HUGS   Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      Update:  Judge blocked the AG until a hearing on March 25.  I don't think that hearing will go well for the Bully In Chief.   https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/judge-blocks-texas-collecting-info-transgender-children-receiving-107731447   Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://thehill.com/homenews/lgbtq/4501690-new-york-ag-letitia-james-transgender-athlete-ban/     Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      PFLAG and the families have some powerful legal minds working for them.  Paxton may please his base of bigots, but he won't win.  I think he knows it, too.   Carolyn Marie
    • Ivy
      This one is not that far "off the wall." They just consider us mentally ill anyway.  We need to be corrected somehow - kinda like the Chinese do with the Uyghurs.  Time to break out the pink triangles.
    • Adrianna Danielle
      It is and planning to be with me when I have my checkup with my hrt specialist.We plan on watching Boy Meets Girl together,one is transgender
    • sarahthehuman
      hi i guess this is where i tell you about myself and some goings on. my quick and dirty trans history about 20 off years ago I confessed to my best friend about wanting to be a girl she was super supportive said she'd get everyone to use whatever name I want and treat me like one of the girls at the time I didn't know transitioning really existed the LGBT was really just an LG so I didn't think it was actually possible to more than cross dress and dismissed the idea and forgot about until 6 years ago I met a transwoman in a Discord community which and awoken 20 year old memories, a few years later after self debate I admitted to myself that I was trans eventually came out to a few people and in October of last year started taking hormones. The actually transitioning is taking time I duelmode mainly being my true self at home for right now. How I ended up here: I wasn't prepare for the hormones which have been a struggle wild mood swings and just constant anxiety attacks, I've only recently been able to clear my head and quell my anxiety with medication enough to function. I had some bad moment and alienated myself from some people dear to me and I'm questioning whether to keep going or not. I've been doing a lot to improve my situation picking myself up doing self care but I realize I can't do this on my own so I've been adding to my support network, people in my circles, support groups and communities like here. From what I read so far this feels like a wonderful community and I look forward to being apart of it. Thank you  
    • Lydia_R
      Nice drawings!
    • Lydia_R
      Lovely Adrianna!
    • Lydia_R
      Being so rejected by society that I starve to death.
    • KatieSC
      All I can do is shake my head. This will be followed by the other 19 R states soon enough. They are more persistent than piranha. A few days ago I received an email from a recruiter trying to recruit me to a hospital in Oklahoma. I told them that I was a transgender female and would not consider Oklahoma. The recruiter could have cared less.   Sadly, I am not sure the rest of the public really cares what happens to us. There is going to be some massive pain down the road regardless of who wins the national election. I think the next logical move is that they will try to roll back the insurance coverages we gained with private insurers.   Short of a huge blue wave hitting the country, they have zeroed in on us. I just wonder if there will be Schutzstaffel troops coming to take us away. Seems like the only missing piece. 
    • Adrianna Danielle
      Had fun and he was great to me treating me right.Loved the LBD I was wearing.I am much happier including him.Said he has found the right transgender woman in his life,me.
    • KatieSC
      Ivy, these folks are beyond psychotic. Make America Germany Already. You could not make this stuff up. I am waiting for an initiative to be launched requiring us to go to a re-education camp, and receive forced HRT of our birth gender. Sometimes there are no words that one can express...
    • Mmindy
      I’m sorry for your loss.    Hugs   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.
×
×
  • Create New...